Author Topic: SWAP 2014 Official Rules  (Read 48303 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
SWAP 2014 Official Rules
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:44:08 PM »
No purchase neccesary anywhere; this contest is open to anyone with a needle and thread, regardless of budget or availability of items.  Just jump in and join the fun.

We'll be following Blue Mooney's "Algebra SWAP" formula:

3 "3 packs" + 2 "wild cards" = 11 garments.

Each three pack will be:

2 tops + 1 bottom
or
1 top + 1 bottom + 1 outer layer
or
1 dress + 1 top + 1 bottom

The "wild card" options can be just about anything you like, but they must be "garments" not accessories (hats, bags, blankets, etc.)

A "top" will be any shirt or blouse worn on the upper half; a "bottom" will be any garment worn on the lower half, and it shouldn't be obscene to wear either without another layer.
A "dress" will be any garment that covers both upper and lower halves, and again, it shouldn't be obscene to wear it without an additional layer.
An "outer layer" will any jacket or sweater that is intended to be a second layer, over a top or a dress. If it can also be worn alone, that is fine.
A "bib" garment will considered a bottom, unless it can be worn alone without a top under or over it.

One garment may be previously sewn; another may be purchased. 
If you have an item you're working on now, you may include it, OR you may stitch up one item from scratch before the official sewing date of December 26.

There's no requirement that every garment match or every top match every bottom.  However, all the individual pieces must form a cohesive collection -they should all look like they belong together in the closet.

"Sewing" is a blanket term; you may sew, knit, crochet, weave...whatever works.  If you can make 11 garments with a 3D printer, that's fine.

Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2014.  Muslins, pattern fitting and cutting may be started whenever you are ready.

You'll need to take a minimum of six photos, maximum 12 will be accepted. Please keep a copy of all images you upload on your hard drive in case SG's server fails or something is accidentally deleted.

The photos may be on you, on a dress form or any other way which shows them well.

You should show how you plan to combine tops and bottoms, and together should show everything. You’ll probably need to photograph some bottoms more than once.

Composites will be allowed, but only if they show details of the same outfit, e.g. a back view, a close up or the “before” photo if you are recycling. You may not show two different outfits on the same photo; such photos won’t be posted!

A single photo showing all the items together will be allowed but not required.

Please number your photos and then add a brief note to describe each one and when you plan to wear it, e.g. 1) Pink cotton Jalie top with khaki  poly/cotton BWOF pants; weekend shopping.

Details about where the photos will be sent or uploaded will be forthcoming. 

Finally, this year, the individual threads are optional.  Individuals fitting issues should be posted on the "individual projects" board: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/board,11.0.html so that threads in the SWAP section aren't overwhelming for the moderators.
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions
or on my website:
http://yourbuttonshop.com

Offline JennyAnne

• Southshore Handmade
Re: SWAP 2014 Official Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »
Thank you for the rules!  :-)  This looks very flexible for everyone's requests this year.  Can't wait to get planning.

Offline Lisanne

• southern England
    • Sewingplums
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
Lovely Dragon Lady - thank you
The 'algebra SWAP' had caught my eye as I wear multiple layers.
I might even find myself trying this one  ;D
Does this make your heart sing  ;D  If not, try something else.
Are you pleased by the thought of wearing this ?  If not, will you finish it ?

Sewingplums
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics
Easy Jackets - links to easy pattern sources and jacket tutorials
pinterest style boards

Offline pella

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »
I like this formula idea, I can get my head round 3 groups. It sounds like fun.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
We've now opened a Discussion thread for discussions of your swap plans.  Questions/discussions about the rules, of course, belong here. :)

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
This looks wonderful! I have been writing down various permutations of what is currently missing in my wardrobe, waiting until the rules were announced to work out how to combine my needs with SWAP rules, and this will make my initial planning really fun. Since it does look like I can sew my favorite sorts of clothing based on the rules, my intention this year is to once and for all get over my fear of jackets and coats, so I plan on having my wildcards be a raincoat and a casual jacket. Thank you DragonLady for both working out the details and for posting the rules about sewing and photography before the end of October.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Saashka

• My (mostly) sewing blog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
Love it, thank you! It looks very flexible.

Offline BeckyMc

• Even as ye sew, so shall ye rip.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »
Thank you Dragon Lady.  It is clear you have taken time to consider the options discussed and delivered a SWAP plan that will be interesting and doable. I'm off to peruse the stash and make a plan!

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
Thank you for the rules, Dragonlady. I just printed them out so I can sit and review them at my leisure and figure out how to incorporate them into the wardrobe.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »
Wonderful - time for the first persnickety question:

One garment may be previously sewn; another may be purchased. 
If you have an item you're working on now, you may include it, OR you may stitch up one item from scratch before the official sewing date of December 26.

Does this mean that you can do THREE garments before the swap? ie one we have already sewn, one we purchase, and one we are working on now/ stitch up from scratch before December 26th?  Or, is the latter garment the same as the "previously sewn" garment?

Thanks for allowing me to machine knit the ENTIRE THING ha ha ha ha ha ha
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
Yes; you may do three.  Working the details out on paper, I realized it's not as easy as it appears.  I considered extending the deadline, but decided previous or purchased garments will work.
or on my website:

Offline spookietoo

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
Thank you DL! You're such a diplomat.

Now, if I only had one of those 3D printers.....
-Tina

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
Good rules, DL - thank you
Lynne

Offline luz clara

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
oh boy!!! Wild cards!!

Thanks Dragon Lady

Luz Clara

Zalin

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »
Wow, DL, you did a great job incorporating some of the ideas posted. This is going to be an exciting SWAP to follow. :)

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Just agreeing with everyone so far - good rules; flexible and accurate. Thanks
Ruth

Offline karent

• Gulf Coast Florida USA
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »
Good rules DragonLady!  I think they are very workable, very flexible, and you clearly took into consideration the suggestions and preferences that have been bandied about lately.  I'm looking forward to participating in this one as well.  K

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Cured Couture
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
Despite failing miserably at the summer six pack, I think I may try this. I like the idea and it seems to be really flexible.
I'd wear Chanel to a soccer match just so I could heckle the ref in style.

https://curedcouture.wordpress.com/

Offline Manuela in Hong Kong

• Hong Kong, Tung Chung
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »
Thank you Drogonlady, those rules are just great. I am sure everybody will manage to find some way to make them suitable for their needs.

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »
Dragonlady you are wonderful, the rules will suit so many people and thank you so much for posting the rules in October. 
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline windsong

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
I think these are terrific rules and I will have so much fun following what everyone posts. I wish I could join in but I have a bit of a sewing refresh curve to follow yet. ;)

Offline Cherylanne

• North Avoca AUSTRALIA
    • Material World
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 12:09:39 AM »
I have been on a shoe buying binge...this plan means I can sew an outfit for at least three pairs! :)

Offline hawkemorningstar

• Passionate about colour, texture and desgn
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 02:05:44 AM »
Wonderful rules DragonLady These should work for so many of us. I am staring planning tonight ;D :D :D
He who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity, like the Sunrise

Offline miranda

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 02:45:12 AM »
Thanks DL, (and everyone who contributed ideas!) they look like great rules and very flexible for all climates and lifestyles.  I can see how I can make it work with my casual hot summer, and how others could make more jackets and warmer options for them.

Sorry, a bit of detail because I'm a bit thick...  If I do my 3x3 as a dress, one bottom, one top, and my two wild cards are dresses, then the dresses can stand alone?  No need for it to match in with anything else?

So, if I am working it out correctly, I can make 5 dresses that all stand alone, and three sets of bottom and top that work in their own set.  That would give me eight changes of garments without laundry.  That would be good!  In summer everything needs laundering so often, and often more than one change a day, depending on what I'm doing.

Offline SewRuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE SEWS
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
Thank you DragonLady for trying to take on board so many of the requests for things in the rules.
All your effort and hard work is hugely appreciated.

:heartshower:

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
Sorry, a bit of detail because I'm a bit thick...  If I do my 3x3 as a dress, one bottom, one top, and my two wild cards are dresses, then the dresses can stand alone?  No need for it to match in with anything else?

So, if I am working it out correctly, I can make 5 dresses that all stand alone, and three sets of bottom and top that work in their own set.  That would give me eight changes of garments without laundry.  That would be good!  In summer everything needs laundering so often, and often more than one change a day, depending on what I'm doing.

Yes; that will be just fine. 
or on my website:

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »
Yay! I am already a winner - honored that my suggestion was good enough to be included in the rules. I'm glad that it looks like this will work for many people, me included.

Offline miranda

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 02:17:05 AM »
Excellent!  Those rules will make it possible to have a very wearable wardrobe for me for our summer, which I desperately need.

Thanks DL.

Offline joycep

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
Just a thought... it might be sensible to copy the Official Rules post off to a text doc on your own PC. There have been little "wobbles" in access to SG recently - I couldn't get on the site earlier this morning - and I was thinking, "Darn it! Wish I'd copied the rules at least."

Like I'm totally involved in SWAP planning already  ::)
But now I can be!  :smug:

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
Done and done, Joyce.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
Thanks for the excellent plan, Dragon Lady.

karendee

Offline karent

• Gulf Coast Florida USA
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
Just a thought... it might be sensible to copy the Official Rules post off to a text doc on your own PC. There have been little "wobbles" in access to SG recently - I couldn't get on the site earlier this morning - and I was thinking, "Darn it! Wish I'd copied the rules at least."
I actually thought of this, and had already made myself a shorter "cheat sheet" with the rules.  If I can access it from this work computer (I think I saved in DropBox) I'll add it here.  K

Offline joycep

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »
Great minds.... 8)

Offline BeaJay

• On the Road to Sew Wear
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »
These rules sound so great that I am tempted to join in...... I say tempted because I am not much of a closer. Love the planning and all I can say is I will try my absolute best to finish!!!!   ;D ;D

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Cured Couture
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:41 AM »
Would a robe count as an outer layer?
I'd wear Chanel to a soccer match just so I could heckle the ref in style.

https://curedcouture.wordpress.com/