Author Topic: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)  (Read 89379 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)
« on: February 28, 2006, 10:03:26 PM »
These are my basic ground rules; subject to modification as I see fit. 

1) Most of my decisions are open to discussion.  I do listen to my members, and I do believe a "community" only occurs when everyone has a voice.  If you don't agree with me, you are welcome to say so; I don't ban or chastise people for dissenting. 

However, there will no arguing with or abusing the moderator(s).  They are unpaid volunteers, and they follow my lead. 

2) No spam. You may include a small blurb and a link to your commercial website in your signature.  However, advertising sales or hawking your products via the posts, forum email system or private messaging will not be tolerated.  The first time, you will be warned, non-compliant posts will be deleted, and your account put on restriction.  The second time, your account and any non-compliant posts will be deleted, and you will be banned.  You won't have an opportunity for a third infraction.   Please, let's keep this place homey and pleasant for everyone. :)

3) This forum is rated PG-13.  I don't care if we live in an R-rated world; here it's family friendly and comfortable for all.  Please self-censor and use your best judgement; if you're in doubt about something, please ask my opinion before posting it.

4) You may upload one image of no more than 350 kbs per post.  Every 30 days, the uploaded images will be purged and will be unrecoverable.  Please save a copy to your hard drive to prevent loss in the purge. You can prevent this altogether by uploading your image to an image hosting site, then linking to it.

5) Private messages are just that -private.  Please do not quote the contents of private messages in the open forum or forward them to other members without the original author's express permission.  I hope this goes without saying, but I've seen it happen, and it's ugly.

6) Please understand that you are 100% responsible for your own words here.  Any posts, private messages or emails sent through the forum violating the law will be reported to the proper authorities. 

7) We are NOT a general discussion forum.  All non-sewing/hobby related topics stay in the "Chatter" section.  There, we do not restrict topics, but we do intend that everyone should be mindful of the feelings of others when posting. Any post may be censored, locked or deleted if it becomes overly emotional, or if posts become aggressive or mean-spirited, or take directions that just don't belong here.  This is a "moving target" so the moderators and I will have to use our best judgment.   Freedom of speech is not our goal here.  Rather, we're the place for stitchers to discuss and share their hobby (or passion), and so not everything will be tolerated.   If you have questions about whether something is appropriate, please check with me.

8 ) Don't solicit cash or goods from members or readers. Note that donations which go to 501(c)(3) registered organizations were once allowed under narrow circumstances, but we have decided to prohibit them altogether.

Also, if you choose to leave the forums, please don't ask me or the moderators to delete your previous posts.  We will not.  You have the option of editing your own posts, but if someone has quoted you, the quotes will remain.   If you don't want to take responsibility for what you've said, please don't say it!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:56:09 AM by fzxdoc »
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions
or on my website:
http://yourbuttonshop.com

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 02:42:32 AM »
Eventually, I'll post the rules here, so all the different information will be in one place.  But for now, I'll use this as the general "How-to" and "FAQ" page.

The "clickies" are easy to use.  You can change the font size, color, or type.  You can make it glow, scroll or center your text.  Just type in what you want to say, then hold down your right mouse button and select the text.  Hit the desired clickie, and it will wrap the appropriate UBB tags around it.

To upload an image, simply start a new topic or hit "reply" to an existing one.  Between the reply form and the post or preview buttons, there's a link that says "additionl options".  Click it, and it will open an extra form with some checkboxes and an image uploader.  Navigate to the image on your hard drive, then finish your post.  Images must be 350 kbs or smaller, cannot be previewed, and will always appear at the bottom of your post under a thin horizonal line. Uploaded images will be purged every 30 days, and will be unrecoverable.  To avoid loss, either keep a copy on your hard drive or use an external image hosting service, and link to the photos instead.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 03:05:07 AM by DragonLady »
or on my website:

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--MAKING A LINK
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:26:28 PM »
There are 3 ways to get a "clickable" link in your post.  Two of them will make the link show only the words that you want them to be (instead of the whole web address).

1. Start with the words you want to be "clickable." This is probably the best method!  ;) Highlight the words in your post that you would like to be "clickable" as a link (In this example, we'll use the word "this."), then click the "insert hyperlink" button (It's the one that looks like a globe w/ a piece of paper in front of of it--2nd from the left in the 2nd row--it will pop up its name if you put your cursor over it).  This will put BBCode tags around your text...it will look like this:
Code: [Select]
"[url]this[/url]" Note that if you want the quotations marks to be part of the link, you highlight those too...if you don't highlight them they won't be part of the link (I didn't want them to be part of the link in my example).  Then put your cursor between the "[url" and the "]" before the word "this", then insert an equal sign and the web address the link should point to.  So if you were going to link to yahoo, you'd add the address like this:
"[url=www.yahoo.com]this[/url]" which will yield "this".  If you didn't want quotation marks around your link, you'd take the quotation marks out :
[url=www.yahoo.com]this[/url], which would get you a link w/out the quotation marks: this

2. Start w/ the BBCode Tags. Click the "insert hyperlink" button (It's the one that looks like a globe w/ a piece of paper in front of of it--2nd from the left, 2nd row--it will pop up its name if you put your cursor over it).  You'll get:
[url][/url], then put your cursor after "[url" and before the "]".  Add "=ADDRESS" there.  Then between the brackets"][" put in the name of the thing you want it to be called.  So your link would be:

[url=http://www.google.com]search engine[/url]
which would yield: search engine

3. Just type the url or web address.  It's not pretty, but it works...  For instance, www.google.com. There is no special code I've added to that.  This board  recognizes that it's a web address, and it is clickable.  But it's not very "pretty" and on some boards if the web address is a long one, it can make some people have to scroll back and forth to read the posts on the rest of the page.  So you'll want to try to avoid using this method.  But if one of the others doesn't work for you, this will!  Pretty is good (so you'll want to try one of the other methods), but posting is better(so use this one if the others are not working for you)!! ;D

Note that whichever way you start out, the result is the same—a clickable link!  If you want to practice making links before you put them in one of your regular posts, be sure to try them out in the Sandbox—if you have trouble, that's the place to ask questions, so we can see what you've done and give you any hints you need!  Have fun posting links! ;D

HTH,

Lisa

Edited to change:  link to Sandbox to new Sandbox IV.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:48:03 PM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:01:23 AM »
To show the newest posts at the top of the thread, go to your profile, then click "layout preferences" on the left hand side.  Scroll down, and tick the box next to "Show most recent posts at the top". Save your changes, and then click to another page.  You may have to hit "refresh" on the topics you open the first couple times.
or on my website:

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)—PHOTO POSTING
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 07:57:01 PM »
For those of you who are starting to think about posting pictures and other posting issues, there are basically three way to show people a digital picture here--two of them require that you have the picture "hosted" on another site on the web (so that you can "point" to the place it's hosted--using methods 1 or 2 below), the third is to upload the image here (note that if you upload here, the image gets deleted in our monthly clean-up--your image can be deleted immediately after you attach it :o if you are unlucky enough to attach it right before the monthly clean-up--of course if you attach right after the monthly clean-up, it can last as long as 30 days :-\), so the third method (upload/attachment) should be your last choice! :D )  There are descriptions, examples and instructions for each below!

• 1.  Linking.  This shows words which link to your image somewhere else.  If the image you point to elsewhere goes away, the link won't work anymore.  The word "Peony" is a link to a picture! ;D  My post above, "Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ) Making a Link," describes how to link, but to link to a picture (instead of to the web page the picture is on, you use the url for the picture itself, instead of the url for the web page) Directions for how to get the image's URL (instead of the url of the web page the image is hosted on) are at the bottom of this post.

• 2.   "Direct link" or "hot link" to the image somewhere else on the web. This shows the actual picture in your post.  If the image you point to elsewhere goes away, the link won't work anymore and the picture in your post will get replaced with one of those annoying red "x"-in-a-boxes or blue "?" in a boxes.  To direct link, start by clicking the image tag button above your reply/editing window (it's the first button in the second row above, and looks like a little framed picture.  When you do that, you'll get this:
[img][/img] 
You'll notice (when you do that) that your cursor will be between the opening and closing image tags.  Leave it there, and paste the URL for your image at that point  :img: That's it--everything you need to do to direct link.  However be sure to use the url for the image, not the page the image is on--see below for how to identify the url for an image. In our example, when I paste my image's url there (between the image tags--where the yellow smilie is), I get this code in my editing window: 
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PUb3RduMTH8/Ty6th5xdLiI/AAAAAAAABhk/49wh02RThlc/w916-h609-no/DSC_0340.JPG[/img]
    Which looks like this when I submit the post:

How to get the url for a picture if you use a PC (instead of the url for the web page the picture is on):  Put your cursor on the picture whose url you want, and right click:

* If you use IE, this will give you a drop-down menu--choose "Properties."  You will need to copy the entry under "Address (URL)."  You can do that most easily by putting your cursor on that entry, holding the "Ctrl" key down while hit the letter "A" (this will highlight the entire URL, which may be to long to all show...), then the letter "C" (which will copy the URL). 
* If you use Chrome, click "Copy Image URL"
* If you use Firefox or Safari, click "Copy Image Location" or "Copy Image Address"

When you come back to your edit window, you can paste the URL you've copied by holding the "Ctrl" key down and hiting the "V" key to past the URL text where you need it.

How to get the url for a picture if you use a mac (instead of the url for the web page the picture is on):  Put your cursor on the picture whose url you want, and control click. Then choose "Tools," then "Page Info," then "Media." You should find the url you need for your image (ending in ".jpg") there.   

Adjusting the display size for an image.  If the linked image displayed is larger than you want it to be (and a better size isn't available to link to), you can direct the Stitcher's Guild software to show a smaller version in your post.  You'll find details about how to do that "here."

Notes on Photo hosting sites:  There are a number of photo hosting sites to choose from.  Some to consider are pbase.com, flickr.com, photobucket.com, smugmug.com.  There are lots of others. Note that some of them are "free," but will either post ads with your pictures or require you to visit frequently or to buy something from time to time to keep your "free" account. Consider what you are willing to pay or to put up with...and what you want visitors to be able to see.  For instance, can your images be shown at a large size? (useful if you're trying to show a detail).  Those that require that you pay often have a free "trial" period so that you can check out the features and see if the cost is worthwhile to you.  Some photohosting sites will require that you include a link back to their site (so that you can click on the image to go there), which you may want to do even if it's not required.  Some sites have an "easier" way to get a direct link, but that varies by site.  For those of you who host your images on Flickr, you'll find directions for their method in "Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ): Direct linking from Flickr." Give photo-posting a try in the "Sandbox" when you're ready!

One final thing when choosing a photo-hosting site.  If you want to use method 2 (direct or hot linking, so that the picture is in your post), make sure your photo-hosting site allows direct linking or hot linking (they should say in their FAQ, since it's certainly frequently asked!).  Not all photo-hosting sites allow direct linking! (Many ad-based sites don't, since they want you to see the ads when you view the images.)  Even worse, you may discover that it will work temporarily (and then revert to the dreaded red-x/blue-? in a box) or will work only for you, but that others will see the dreaded-x/?. 

• 3.   Upload the image.  If you don't have anyplace you can put the picture (so that you can use methods 1 or 2), this will work:
    To upload an image, simply start a new topic or hit "reply" to an existing one.  Between the reply form and the post or preview buttons, there's a link that says "additionl options".  Click it, and it will open an extra form with some checkboxes and an image uploader.  Navigate to the image on your hard drive, then finish your post.  Images must be 350 kbs or smaller, cannot be previewed, and will always appear at the bottom of your post under a thin horizonal line. Uploaded images will be purged every 30 days, and will be unrecoverable.  To avoid loss, either keep a copy on your hard drive or use an external image hosting service, and link to the photos instead.
    But since this isn't a photo-hosting site, your image may "go away" sometime in the next 30 days (as often as once a month, all uploaded photos--even those that have been up for only a few minutes :o--are deleted).  Think of an uploaded image as "temporary" and plan to get the image onto a photo-hosting site asap. Then edit your post so that you're either Linking (Method #1) or Direct Linking (Method #2).  An example of the same picture, uploaded, instead of drect-linked is below the line at the bottom of this post–unless the image has been deleted before you read this. ;D :o >:D :smug:

If you're trying to upload/attach and your picture is too big (bigger than 350 kbs), you'll need to resize it before you can post it!

Have fun posting images!

Lisa

etc: link for Sandbox to new Sandbox IV.[/list]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:18:41 PM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline cmarie12

• I love to sew - plain and simple!
    • Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »
I am sure that there is a much better place to ask this question but I have no idea where!  So I am going to ask it here and you can redirect me.  I want to add my photo link to my signature as a link but see no directions on how to do that.  So I am asking.  If I should post this somewhere else please tell me where.  Also, why does my little computer link thing on the side of my post come up with my ISP numbers instead of logged?  I am sooooo computer challenged.....

TIA
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:33:28 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)—A SIGNATURE FOR YOUR POSTS
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 03:29:37 PM »
I want to add my photo link to my signature as a link but see no directions on how to do that.  So I am asking. 
TIA

This question got asked "elsewhere" and is a good one, so thought I'd share it (and an answer  ;D ) here! 

You may have noticed that some members have a line across their posts near the bottom with their name, an aphorism that is personally meaningful or reflective of their personality, as well as links to their websites, blogs or photos.  This material appears on each of their posts and is called their "signature."  You're allowed a total of 650 characters in your signature, so if you've got a lot to say, count carefully!  Once you've decided what you want in your signature,

1.  Go to your profile (click the "profile" button just below the search window at the top of the page), then in the boxes on the left, select "Forum Profile Information", then scroll down to the box labeled "Signature."  Here's where you can add your 650 characters.  

2.  Adding a link to your blog or to a photo here is the same as adding a link in a post (see "Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--Making a Link " for a description of how to add a link.  However since you won't have the use of those "handy-dandy" buttons, there are a couple of approaches you can take:

A.  Use a "reply" window from a thread.  You're not actually going to post, just use the composition window.  You can then compose your signature and use the "Preview" button to see how you're doing.  Just don't "Save" the reply.  When you're done, copy the text from your reply window, and use the "profile" button at the top to take you back to the signature box. Paste your text there, then click on the "Change Profile" button at the bottom right of the page.  Then take a look at your new signature on one of the posts you've previously made!  (If you don't like it, come back and make changes!)

B.  Type the BBCode Yourself.  If you just want to type in the signature box, you'll need to add the BBCode elements yourself for any links you want to include in the signature.  Here's what you need to add a link to a web page (for instance, where your blog, or photos are).  Think of the name you want, for instance "My Photos".  Then immediately before that type:
[url] and immediately after it type
[/url].  That will leave you with something that looks like this:
[url]My Photos[/url]  Then put your cursor between "[url" and "]" and put in an equal sign "=" and the web address you want this link to "point to"... so if the web address you wanted to "point" to was google's address, when you were done, your link would look like:
[url=www.google.com]My Photos[/url] which would come out looking like this: My Photos (BTW, if this link is right, clicking on it will send you to google--since that's the address we pointed to!)

So pick a name for your link, which will be the words tht "show" in your signature, then have the web address where your pictures are, and you're set to add them to your siginature.

Remember! You only have 650 characters to tell us something memorable about yourself or to point to websites that will do that!  ;D :D ;D

Let me know if you have questions.

Lisa
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:04:49 AM by Lisa »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »
cmarie12, go to your profile and click "Forum Profile Information" on the left.  In the bottom third of the page there is a form for your custom title and signature.  You may use the same UBB codes to post pictures, links, or colored text there.  Then simply hit "Change Profile" at the bottom, and you'll be all set.  :)

Also, why does my little computer link thing on the side of my post come up with my ISP numbers instead of logged?  I am sooooo computer challenged.....

Each person is able to see their own IP address.  Don't worry -no one else can see it except myself and the global moderators.
or on my website:

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)—READING; MAKING TYPE SIZE LARGER!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 11:39:28 PM »
Does the type in this post seem awfully small?  Are you beginning to suffer from eye strain?  Is your nose up against your screen? 

Depending on your browser, this site supports a user's decision to view the site with a larger (or smaller) typeface (not all sites do, but the change described below will also work with other sites that use the same technology...)!

For many browsers, try holding the "Ctrl" key down then hit the "+" key down.  This should zoom the text to a larger size.  You can hit it successively to get larger type.  Holding the "Ctrl" key down will hitting the "-" (that's the minus key) down will make the type size smaller.

If you use Internet Explorer, go to "View" (in the menu bar at the top of your browser) and choose "Text Size" from the drop-down menu there.  If you've never made a change there, you are likely set on "Medium"--click on "Larger" or  "Largest", then refresh the page and see if you like it better!  If you do, great!  If not, just change it back to "Medium". 

After you make this change, you may need to "refresh" pages you've been to before, if the new text size doesn't show up when you first return to a page. 

Remember, this will also affect some (but not all) other web pages you go to.  If you don't like the size of the text on a web site, see if they have enabled this technology, so that you can make your web browsing easier on the eyes!

Lisa

eta: info on Ctrl + or Ctrl -

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:11:57 AM by Lisa »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ) - AVATARS
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:17:56 PM »
Someone asked about how to get their picture on the left of their posts.  It's a good question, so I thought I'd cross-post and elaborate a little here... :) 

Getting an Avatar.  The picture (or other image that you choose) is generally referred to as an "avatar," since it represents you to your readers.  You can add an image and a short statement (limited to 50 characters) that will appear under the image you choose on the left of your post under the number of posts you've made on this board.  (Note that this is different from the "signature" that you can add at the bottom of each of your posts.  There you have a bit more space--650 characters--see instructions for that here).   

To get an avatar, you need to go to your profile (click the "profile" button below the search window at the top of the page), then in the boxes on the left, click "Forum Profile Information."  There are two ways to add your picture/image--but in either case the picture you use can't be wider than 150 pixels or taller than 250 pixels, and should be a jpg file.

(a) upload a small digital picture of yourself (or another image you want to use to represent yourself). If you're going to upload your picture, choose the statement "I will upload my own picture" and then use the "browse" button to find the digital picture on your computer, then click "open" when you find it and that's it! (BTW, while other uploaded images will be deleted after 30 days, your avatar can stay! ;D).  OR

(b) direct link to the picture or image you want which which is hosted somewhere else on the web.  If you're going to direct link choose the "I have my own pic" statement and put the address of your picture there (the right one will end in something like "gif" or "jpg" (or some other image file format).  Note that there are some photo-hosting sites which don't allow direct linking (or don't allow it for very long--for instance yahoo), if you run into that for your avatar, you'll want to upload instead--or plan to put your pictures on another photo-hosting site. ;D 8)

Resizing an Image.  If the picture is too big (you may not know this until after you look at the results), you'll need to re-size it, either using a graphics program or a photohosting site which will re-size for you.  If you don't have either, there are a number of free-ware programs available that convert images to avatars.  Here's one of them: JQL-Avatar Sizer--I haven't used it, but saw a reasonably good review of it.  If you try it, let me know what you think.  I'll revise this post when I know more... In addition, here's a link to a  more detailed post on resizing images

Brief Statement with your Avatar.  Once you've got your avatar up, by either uploading or by direct linking, decide if you want to include a brief statement here (no more than 50 characters!)...if so, fill in that text under "Personal Text." 

Preview your Avatar!  When you're done, click the "Change Profile" button at the bottom right of the page, then click "Summary" in the box on the left labeled "Profile Info" and see what it looks like! :D  Revise as desired! 8)

Lisa

etc: number of characters in signature
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:42:29 PM by Lisa »

Offline andib

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 09:32:50 PM »
I am confused about where to post this, so I am sorry if it is in the wrong place.  What is a locked topic?  I started a topic(kwik sew pattern) and I notice it is locked...did I do something wrong, what does it mean???

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 10:13:40 PM »
I am confused about where to post this, so I am sorry if it is in the wrong place.  What is a locked topic?  I started a topic(kwik sew pattern) and I notice it is locked...did I do something wrong, what does it mean???

You originated that topic, and so (currently) have the ability to lock it, when you think it's done.  The little lock you see on the right side as you look at the list of threads gives you the ability to do that.  I just checked from a test log-in to see if it was actually locked right now.  It's not. 

An actual locked topic will show the lock on the left.  For example, look at this one in the blue bar just above the first post and to the left of the word "Author."  You'll see the same "lock" icon for this thread on the left in the list of threads under Site News & Announcements.

Your question was asked by someone else yesterday, and DragonLady said she had been getting this question and was going to delete that function for thread originators, so as to eliminate the confusion.   ;) 

Once that change "kicks-in" you'll need to e-mail DragonLady if you want your thread locked.

HTH,

Lisa
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:22:52 PM by Lisa »

Offline andib

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 11:00:39 PM »
Thanks Lisa, so locking the thread means no one can post to it, only view it???

Offline andib

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »
When I checked, the Kwik sew topic is still locked, and when I clicked on the icon to unlock it nothing happened, or is this not the way to unlock it???

I am so not computer savy!!!  Thanks for your help!!!

Offline Liana

• Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 11:13:32 PM »
andib,  I just went ahead and unlocked it.  DL said she was going to disable the Lock/Unlock feature for everyone but Moderators, as it was confusing for many.  So, it shouldn't come up again, and you should be unlocked now! :)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 12:21:56 AM »
I have removed the locking feature.  I originally turned it on when I opened the calendar -you could post events without starting a whole thread.  I didn't realize it would let you lock yourself out of all the topics you create.

If you need a thread locked for some reason, just let me or one of the mods know.
or on my website:

Offline andib

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 12:20:09 PM »
Thank you Liana and DL...It is so nice to have a place where you can ask a question and it gets answered!!!

Thanks for all of your work to make such a nice place to visit.  It is like the difference between chatting in an empty warehouse, and having a nice chat in a overstuffed chair, with a nice cup of tea!

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)-RESIZING IMAGES
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 02:10:26 PM »
Are you trying to resize an image for an avatar (150x250 pixels maximum)? or for temporary uploading into a post on this board? (350 KBs maximum, and remember uploaded pictures in a post will only stay up 30 days before they’re deleted.)  So how can you resize photos?  There are lots of ways...here are some:

• 1.   Graphics Programs.  Graphics programs, like photoshop will have that capability.  If you have a graphics program, you will be able to crop and resize like a fiend—typically with the best control of results! (And if you have a dedicated graphics program, you’re probably not reading this post.)
  • 2.   Photo-hosting Site.  Many photo-hosting sites will automatically produce your picture in a number of different sizes.  Check there for details on the sizes the site makes available to you.  (It may already have created exactly the size you need!)

But some of you don’t have a dedicated graphics program or a photo-hosting site (yet)  There are some work-arounds that those of you with Windows can use.  Before you start, save a copy of your photo (it can use the same name, but add a “-1” at the end of it).  We want to preserve your large photo for other uses you may have for it! :) Only use your copy of the image when you resize it, please.

• 3.   Paint.  I think every machine that has Windows also has a copy of paint.  Click the Start Button, then “All Programs”, then “Accessories”, then “Paint.”  At the top of the Paint Window, click “File”, then “Open” and browse to the location where your photo copy is—make sure you have the copy (not the original), then click “Open” in the browsing window.  This is not an automated process using this program, but you can do it! 

• a.   First Crop It.  The first thing to do is make sure you've only included the things you want in the image.  If there is extra background, crop that out first.  On the left side of the paint window are two columns of buttons.  One of them is a dotted rectangle.  Click that one.  Now put your cursor on your picture where you would like the corner of your picture to be...and drag your cursor so that you pull the rectangle so that it encloses the picture as you want it to be.  Now right click, and choose "Copy to" which will allow you to save the part of the picture you want (without the rest).  Before proceeding, remember to copy again before you resize or compress if you're going to want your cropped picture later as you've now saved it.
  • b.   How big is it?  The first thing to do is to find out how big your picture is…at the top of the Paint Window, click “Image”, then “Attributes.”  This will bring up an Attributes box which should tell you (on the 2nd line) what the “size on disk” is (so that you can monitor if you’re getting it down to 350KB).  Make sure the “Units” in the box are set to “pixels” (so that you can monitor if you’re getting down to the pixel size you need).  You’re going to come back to the Attributes to see how much progress you’ve made from time to time.  Click “OK” to close the Attributes box.
  • c.   How to make it smaller?   Once the Attributes box is closed, back to “Image”, but this time choose “Stretch/Skew”, which will open another dialog box.  We’re only interested in the “Stretch” portion of the box.  You’ll see that “horizontal” and “vertical” are set at 100%.  You’re going to change those percentages—but remember, if you change horizontal to 80%, then change vertical to 80% too.  Notwithstanding the title of this dialog box, you don’t really want to stretch the image either way.  This is going to be a matter of trial and error—another good reason to only try this out on a copy of your photo!  Once you’ve entered the same smaller percentage into the horizontal and vertical fields, click “ok.”  You’ve just made your picture smaller!  How much smaller? And is it enough?  Now back to the “how big is it” and look and see.  You’ll see both a smaller “size on disk” and a smaller pixel width and height.  Have you made it enough smaller?  Then you’re done.  Click “file”, the “save” and proceed to use your resized photo!  If it’s not small enough, repeat the process until it is small enough!

• 4.   Try e-mailing the photo to yourself!   A number of e-mail programs will ask you if you want to e-mail images in the original size or smaller.  Choose smaller and your e-mail program will downsize your picture.  (If you can’t get the smaller file saved, go ahead and send it to yourself…at least you’ll have it!)  BTW, if you’re not sure how big the file is, right click on it, choose “properties” and it should tell you the file size (although not the pixel count).  You have very little control over how much the size is reduced using this method, but it will make it smaller (and you can do it more than once)!
  • 5.   Microsoft Office Picture Manager.  If you have “Office” on your Computer, you may also have this program.  Try right clicking on the image file (remember to use your copy and not the original!) and choose “Open With”, which should give you a list of the programs you have that you could open the file with…  If you’ve got this one, it has some quite nice resize features—as well as easy to use cropping features! 

• a.   Start with cropping (no point resizing a photo that includes all sorts of extraneous background that you don’t want). Go to “Picture”, then “Crop”, which will bring up a dialog panel on the right and put little “handles” at the corners and edges of your picture—just drag the little handles around (in toward the middle of your picture) until you like the way your picture looks!  BTW, you’ll be able to see on the right what the original pixel size of your image is, as well as the new size you’ll have when you finish your cropping.  This is where you check the pixel size of your picture, BTW.  Once you have the picture looking the way you want it, choose “File”, then “Save” 
    • b.   Then Resize (if you’re trying for an avatar)!  This reduces the pixel size yet more (and is what you want to use if you’re trying to make an avatar).  Go to “Picture”, then “Resize”, which will bring up a dialog panel on the right. Use “percentage of original width x height” to adjust the size—just watch the pixel size (at the bottom of the panel) until you get the one you want.  (But don’t use different percentages for width and height—you’ll distort your picture!) Then click ok.
    • c.   Then Compress (if you want to put a temporary photo in a post). Go to “Picture”, then “Compress Pictures”, which bring up a dialog panel on the right allowing you to monitor the size of the file.  Again, click buttons until you like the file size, then click ok.
There you have it.  Lots of different ways to change your picture to a size you can use here!

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Lisa
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:20:36 AM by Lisa »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)—PRINTING OR SAVING A THREAD!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
Some of you may want a copy of a thread saved on your own computer or printed for reading off-line later.  Lots of possible reasons, such as:

• you have a dial-up or other slower connection and don't want to have to load all of the pictures which may have been posted on a number of pages
  • you have limited time on your computer
  • you charged by the minute for on-line access
  • you want your own personal back-up copy—you worry that the thread you want might become inaccessible in the future

Fortunately, it's easy to do! Open the thread you would like a copy of, just click the "print" button while you are there (there are duplicate buttons at the lower right and upper right of the page), and you'll get a copy of the entire thread (although without pictures) that you can save in whatever file format is best for you!  (I save in Word...and can then use Word's search capabilities as a substitute for the forum's search capabilities I'd be able to use if I were reading here.) 

Note that all of the links will be displayed—including those which were included as "pretty links" or "linkable" words! Further, where pictures appeared in the thread, you'll find the web address (or URL) for each of those images in the saved file.  So you'll still be able to find the image--as long as it is on the web, at least!  So if you want to explore those links or images later, you'll have the information allowing you to do so! ;D

Finally, you can't save only a part of a thread, so you will get the "whole thing" each time you save the same thread!

Happy reading!

Lisa

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--Have you Lost your Password?
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 01:37:59 PM »
If you've lost your password, but still have the e-mail account you registered with, "all is not lost!" ;D

Here's what to do:

Don't put anything in the password field at the top of the page, but go ahead and click the "log-in" button anyway (without putting anything in the password field).  This will take you to a separate log-in window labeled "log-in." 

At the bottom of that log-in window is a link that says "Forgot your password?"  Click that. It will take you to a "Password Reminder" window.  You should fill in either your user name in that box or the e-mail address you used when registering on the board.  Just below that window you need to click the button next to either "by user" or "by e-mail." If you filled in your user name, click the button next to "by user" and ifyou filled in your e-mail address, click the button next to "by e-mail."  Then you have two options:  Either:

• A.  "tick" the box in front of "Ask me my question."  When you registered, you were asked for a secret question and its answer which you could use if you ever forgot your password! ;) Now's your chance to use it!  Click the "Send" button.  You'll get a window titled "Password Reminder" which will ask you your secret question and ask you for what you said was "the answer."  Then go ahead and fill in a new password, and type it again to verify the password.  Then click "Save."  Now you have a new password and will be able to log-on again in the future!

• B. don't tick the box in front of "Ask me my question and just click the "Send" button.  This asks the software to send you an e-mail with a new password to the e-mail address you used when registering for the board!  When you get the e-mail, log-in using the e-mail sent to you, then go to your profile and set a new password that you can remember , and consider adding a secret question & answer (whose answer you will remember but that others can't guess) to your profile for future use! 8)

If you're reading this, but are not having trouble with logging in, please  remember to keep your profile updated with your current e-mail address (so that this will work for you if you ever need it) and choose a "secret question" that is not guessable!

See you back here soon!

Lisa
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:49:05 PM by Lisa »

Offline Liana

• Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
Deleting a PM
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 04:17:37 AM »
You may want to know how to delete a Private Message in your message box.

Go to your messages, and in the list of messages you've received (above the actual messages) you'll notice a check box on the extreme right.  Check the box on message(s) you want to delete, and at the bottom of the list on the right, there's a button that says "Delete Selected".  Click that, and the ones you check will go away.  :)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--Editing Posts & Editing Notes
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 01:56:09 PM »
You've posted a message,

• but as soon as you've done it you see something missing...or a link, image or quotation you've inserted doesn't look the way you wanted it to...
  • you come back later and realize that you've included duplicate text...
  • you realize you managed to post twice...
  • you left out the perfect image to make your point...

Whichever it is, you wish you'd done it differently!  On some boards, all you can do is make a second post.  However here you can edit your post if you've made enough posts (10 or 11) so that your member status has changed from "New (or Just Quiet) Member" to "Member" (just not anybody else's ;)--unless you're a moderator ;D). 

In the upper right-hand corner of each of your posts you'll find the "Modify" button.  Clicking that will take you back to an editing window where you can make changes to your heart's content!  But a couple of things to think about...

If others have posted after the post you're editing or your post has already been read:

• realize that your changes may not be seen by those people.  But it may still be worth making your changes for those who haven't seen it yet!
  • try not to make nonsense out of the conversation that has flowed past the post you're editing...

Unless your editing is almost immediate, your edited post will be marked to show that you've edited it, and when (I'll edit this post after I make it so that you can see what the forum's software adds to show the edit! :D).  So you should add an editing note at the end of your modified post to tell people what you did--particularly someone who is scanning a thread they've read before, sees the note that your post has been edited and wonders what you did.  Don't make them reread and guess...tell them what you edited!  Here are some popular editing notes you can use:

• ETA: ____________   This one means "edited to add", then fill in the blank to tell the reader what you added.
  • ETC: ____________   This one means "edited to correct", then you fill in the blank with whatever it was you corrected.
  • ETD: ____________   This one means "edited to delete", and again, fill in the blank--so the person who was scanning to find what you've deleted can stop looking! ;D

For me, I am often "ETC: spelling" ;)

Just some notes on editing your own posts!  (and if you often find yourself editing immediately after you post, consider using the "Preview" button to review how your post will look and check your links or whatever before you press the "Post" button!)

Lisa

ETA: example of forum's auto-note appended to edited posts (see below)! :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:11:34 PM by Lisa »

Offline SewingLibrarian

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 11:15:57 PM »
I haven't seen an answer to my question, but I may have missed it.  ::) At what point should a group start a new thread? At SW we were told not to go over 8 or 10 pages. Would that be appropriate here, too? Thanks in advance,
Linda

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 11:40:49 PM »
I think 20 pages is good.  It just helps keep the board running quicker.
or on my website:

Offline SewingLibrarian

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 04:00:14 AM »
Thanks, DragonLady, I'll keep that in mind.  :)
Linda

Offline Liana

• Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 04:44:57 AM »
When Commenting on a Review

You may have noticed that there is a section of the board called Reviews.  You may post reviews there, and also comment on reviews by others.  We'd like to encourage everyone to please stay On Topic in your Review Comments. 

Sometimes a review will give rise to an interesting topic that's not really germane to the actual review itself.  Those topics should have their own Topic.  This is important so that people searching the board can find a topic they're interested in rather than having to guess that Hemming Techniques are exhaustively discussed in the last 3 pages of the review on a Halloween Turkey Costume, for example.  It's also kinder to the reviewer whose review has been "hijacked", albeit with the best of intentions, and only because we're all interested in every aspect of sewing, down to the nth degree.

It's easy to start a new Topic, and anyone may do so.  Just choose the board that you think is the correct category, and there's a button near the top right called New Topic.   It will ask you for a Topic Subject, and there's a Reply window for the first post, just like any reply.  You may go back to the review topic that gave rise to your new topic, and post a link to the new topic if you wish, as well. 

Happy posting! :)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--When is a thread too long?
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 10:23:45 PM »
DragonLady has indicated that 20 pages is probably long enough for a thread...but some questions on a recent thread suggest that some additional information on how to start a new thread—and when (and why) not to—would be useful! :)

I thought I would explain why we don't want to start a new thread too soon;)

Once we've locked a thread and it's no longer getting new posts, the thread will get archived.  So we prefer to leave threads "live" as long as we can... (not that you can't get to archived threads, but they will be "in the Guildhall," instead of on this board (click "Stitcher's Guild" at the upper right hand corner of any page, then look in the right column to see what archived threads look like...)  Note that:

• none of the links to URL's on the web in the archived threads are "live"--you'll need to copy and paste them into your browser to get them to work.
  • links to a post in an archived thread won't work at all.
  • links in an archived thread to a "live thread" on Stitcher's Guild will work, once you copy & paste them into your browser.
  • hot-linked (aka direct-linked) pictures won't show up in the thread, although the url on the web will remain...so you'll be able to (again) copy & paste the address of the image into your browser.
  • the search function on the board won't find things in archived threads. 

Both because people can sometimes have a bit of difficulty finding the archived items, and because of the items noted above, we try not to close off threads any sooner than we have to.

Since there are 35 posts on each of our pages, on a slow-moving thread a page can last a long time.  So we won't want to cut a thread off any earlier than we need to--even on page 20.  But...if you see that your post has "fallen over" onto page 21, please act, and:

1.  edit your post to add a footnote--something along the lines of: "ETA:  Since my post is on page 21, this thread is too long and I've started a new thread [fill in name of old thread] 2" (or 3, 4 etc.--or II, III, IV, etc—If this is the first continuation thread, use "2" or "II" following the name of the original thread.  If this is a later continuation, just replace the current number with the next higher number!)

2.  start a new thread, naming it as indicated in #1 and in your first post say that it's a continuation of "[old thread name]"

3.  add a link to the new thread in your last post on the old thread (click the "modify" button in the upper right hand corner of your post on page 21 of the old thread and then edit to add the link).  If you're not sure how to add the link, just give us the name of the new thread (see #1 for how to name a continuation thread).

A mod will happily lock the old thread (and move any posts that have missed the new thread over to the new one) once we see it (and will probably repeat your link to the new thread).  Feel free to let us know if you think we've missed your new thread. ;)

Thanks everyone! ;D

Lisa
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 08:04:16 PM by Lisa »

Offline Liana

• Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)-SEARCH
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 11:43:33 PM »

Searching for Something You've Read on the Board.

There's a wonderful Search function on this board.  It's better than on any board I've used.  The trick is to click on Advanced Search right under your avatar or name at the top of the page.  This will take you to a page where you can fill in

• The terms you want to search for, and whether to match all words, or any words

• If you know who posted what you're looking for, you can search only their posts

• Show whole posts in the results, or show topic subjects only.  (Always choose show as messages.)

• Choose what order to show results: relevancy, length, oldest or newest first.

• Choose a board or boards to search, or search the entire site.  This is a real help, especially, as you knew which board to search.

You may fill in any or all of these items, depending on how much you remember about what you're looking for, and how much you want to restrict/refine your search.

Hope this helps you in the future.  It is so maddening to know you read something and you absolutely can't find it.   :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--Finding Replies to your Posts, Unread Posts
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 02:18:01 PM »
Here is a way to check if you have Private Messages waiting for you, to read only the posts which have accumulated since your last visit to SG, or to read the new replies to your previous posts:

First, on the home page (or at the top of any page) make sure that the little arrow just below the word "SEARCH" is pointing up.  When it is, you will see three underlined phrases, which are actually links which will take you to various places on SG. 

The first is a link to allow you to read any Private Messages (PMs) that may have been sent to you by other members

The second link  "Show unread posts since the last visit"  will give you a list of all the new posts that have happened since your last visit.  When you get to that list, you can also click on "all unread posts" at the bottom right if you want to find more posts that you may have missed.

The third link is the one I think you will really like: "Show new replies to your posts"  It will show you which topics (and you can just click on that underlined topic) have replies to your last posts.

HTH,
Kathryn

Offline BarbW

• ~New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 04:23:07 PM »
There must be a place on this site that lists all the abbreviations that are commonly used, such as FBA, LOL, OOP.  I know the meaning of these, but what about the others??  (none of which I can think of right now, of course!).

HELP!!   And Thank You!

Offline redhead

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 05:06:29 PM »
This list is from Pattern Review, but it may help:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/abbreviations.pl

Offline Judi73

• Embellishing Experiments
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
this might not be the right place to post this question but ----  is there a widget or badge of the Stitcher's Guild logo that we can add to our personal blogs?  I'm assuming that the logo is the Stitcher's Guild in script that we see at the top of the forum?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 03:46:04 PM »
Sure; just take a copy. :)
or on my website:

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
A reply window will "time out" if you don't click "post" soon enough. :o  Then all of the text that you've entered will be lost if you didn't "save it" first! :o :o

All of this is particularly traumatic because it is most likely to happen when you've spent a long time working on a long, detailed post.  However if you acquire the following habit, you'll never "lose" a post like this again! :)

When you finish any post but before you click the "post" or "preview" button, copy the post:

1.  hit "Ctrl-A" (to highlight your entire post)
2.  hit "Ctrl-C" (to copy your entire post)

then go ahead and post or preview as desired.  If you've timed out, there's no problem, because your computer will have a copy of your post, so you can put your cursor in the (now empty) reply window and

3.  hit "Ctrl-V" (to paste your entire post right back into the reply window)

so that you can (again) click the "Post" or "Preview" button.

If you always perform step #1 & #2 above before you click "post" or "preview," you'll always be able to save yourself from disaster if you've "timed out" (by performing step #3).  ;) ;D :smug:

Lisa

PS.  This will also save you if you do it before you click a "back" button in your browser...another way a post can be "lost to posterity."

eta: postscript
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:34:06 PM by Lisa »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)-Get notice (or cancel notice) of new replies
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 03:48:40 AM »
Would you like to be notified of new replies to a thread?  The software here can do that for you! This is particularly handy when you're hoping for an answer to a question (whether or not you're the one who asked the question! ;) ;D ) or if you've posting a listing on the auction/yardsale board.  In fact, we (strongly!) encourage you to arrange to get notices of replies to any auction/yardsale listing you make.   (See the section titled "Notices only on particular threads you choose" below for notices only on your auction/yardsale listing.) 

The board will even allow you to choose to automatically start getting notified of replies whenever you start a thread or post a reply.  Here's how to do that:

Notice on replies after every post I make.  If you want to get notification turned on for a thread whenever you start a thread or make a post to a thread (whether or not you started it), you can.   Warning!  If you have notifications set for the first unread reply (or for even more notices "Instantly," this can lead to your getting a lot of notices, if you've posted to a lot of threads.  (Imagine yourself getting notice everytime there are new unread replies to one of your posts!--It can feel like you've you've spammed yourself!) :o But here's how to do it anyway. ;D  >:D :smug:

Go to your profile (the link to your profile is in the line of links below your avatar at the top of each page), then put your cursor on the "Modify Profile" and choose "Notifications," and "tick" the box next to "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic."  If you've selected this option even after the warning in purple, you should also carefully consider how often you want to be notified.  I believe the default is "Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply,".  You may want to modify that notification interval to "Daily" or "Weekly" which will at least limit the number of notices you get a little bit (be sure to click the "Save Settings" button if you're making changes here). (You may still feel like you've spammed yourself after a while, especially if you've posted in a lot of threads!  :o :o :o

But if you really want to get a notice for every post made on all of the threads you're watching, you can, by changing the default to "Instantly."   You'll get an email every time someone posts a reply on any of the threads you're watching.  This will definitely feel like self-spamming! :o ::) :o

Even if you want to continue to start getting notices on everything you post to, you'll probably also want to stop getting notices on some (or all) of those threads after a while.  You can use the same methods to turn off notices on a particular thread which is described below for those who only want notices when they specifically ask for them.

Notices of new threads on a particular board  If you want to be notified of the first unread reply on an entire board (for instance, "Ann's Pearls of Wisdom" is one I get notices on) (whether or not you started the thread where the replies occur), it's easy to do!

While you have a board's index page open (so that you choose the thread you want to read, but can't see the posts in any of the threads), you'll notice a button titled "Notify" at the top of the index page thread, (across from where the page numbers in the index are listed).  It's the 3rd button from the left and it acts as an on/off switch. 

If you click the button on a thread where you want to be notified of replies, you'll get a dialog box that asks "Are you sure you wish to enable notification of new replies for this topic?"  If you do, click "OK" (otherwise, click "Cancel").

Notices only on particular threads you choose (not every thread you post to!)  If you want to be notified of new replies to a thread (whether or not you started the thread), it's easy to do!

While you have the thread open (so that you can the posts in it), you'll notice a button titled "Notify" at the top of every thread, (across from where the page numbers in the thread are listed).  It's the 3rd button from the left and it acts as an on/off switch. 

If you click the button on a thread where you want to be notified of replies, you'll get a dialog box that asks "Are you sure you wish to enable notification of new replies for this topic?"  If you do, click "OK" (otherwise, click "Cancel").

If you want to stop being notified of new replies on that thread, you can click the same "Notify" button again and you'll get a different dialog box (since the button acts as an on/off switch).  This one will say: "Are you sure you wish to disable notification of new replies for this topic?"  Again, just answer the question.  ;) ;D  You can also (of course ;) ) use this button to see if you're already signed up for notifications on the thread you're reading.  If you get the first dialog box, you weren't, and if you get the second, you were!  :D 8)

Stop notifications without opening a thread--If you want to stop notifications on more than one thread at a time (particularly good for those of you who choose automatic notifications in spite of the warnings above ;) ;D), go to your profile, and with your cursor over "Modify Profile," click "Notifications," and you'll see (under " Current Topic Notifications") a list of the threads that you're signed up to get notices of replies.  "Tick" the box to the right of the threads you no longer want to get notices about, then click the "Unnotify" button.  That's it!

HTH!

Lisa

eta: info based on new software release :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:19:24 PM by Lisa »