Author Topic: Funny sewing sayings  (Read 17394 times)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Funny sewing sayings
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
I enjoy reading the Selfish Seamstress's 'blog.

Now she has some of her (albeit somewhat snarky) witticisms for sale on mugs, totes, and t-shirts. Check it out. Some of the sayings are absolutely hilarious.

The royalties from her sales are donated.

NAYY, of course.

Kathryn

Offline Mike

Re: Funny sewing sayings
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Some people take joy
In sewing for their loved ones.
We call them "suckas."

I don't really get why this haiku is whitty or funny.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how taking joy out of sewing something for loved ones, like a gift, makes you a sucka.  However, most of her other satirical verse like "Your stupid house", "Glad that I could help", "Think I'm selfish now", "Like an infection" are pretty amusing.

Go figure, her blog is called "The Selfish Seamstress" after all, so I realize it's meant to be satirical... I guess I just lack empathy and insight into her plight, since I've only ever had one person come to me asking something sewing related of me, and that was a co-worker who had a button come off her jacket and needed it sewn back on.  I try and live by the proverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime", so I dug up a little travel sewing kit my mom had gotten me years ago right before college that I had never opened and no longer need... then showed her how to sew on the button, as well as gave her a nice hint on where to find videos for doing it as a future reference.

I guess I can see it being really annoying if I was a skilled seamster, had trouble saying "No", and surrounded myself with inconsiderate (or selfish) friends/acquaintances/co-workers who used and abused their relationship with me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:03:21 PM by Mike »
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us."  —Helen Keller

"The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself." —Mark Twain

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »
Since I sew routinely for loved ones, that's the haiku I liked the least as well, Mike.  I certainly don't consider myself a "sucka". But I think her verses are all tongue-in-cheek. As I said, most of them are snarky, but funny nonetheless.

The one I like the best is about sewing all night with no notion of the time. Been there...

But wait until it gets known that you enjoy sewing. People with projects will start coming out of the woodwork--asking you to hem something, or make curtains, or whatever. That's why some of those verses are funny. They say what you are thinking but are too polite to say. ;D

I was once volunteered by my DD to alter a bridesmaid's dress for one of her friends who didn't have money for alterations. It was a bear to alter--a strapless gown, cheesy fabric, and I had to re-work the boning in the bodice, etc.  When I finally got it finished, the friend told my DD that the wedding had been called off, and she had forgotten to mention it. Grrrr..  That's why I don't sew for those whom I don't love.  :)

Kathryn

Offline Karendee

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
Thanks for the laugh, Kathryn.

Karen

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »
My favorite was the one about "you think I'm selfish now?  You should see me when I shop for fabric" or similar.   ::)

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:20:16 AM »
Mike, she is definitely tongue in cheek because she did do some sewing others quite recently.

Offline karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:07:11 AM »
Some people take joy
We call them "suckas."

I try and live by the proverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
I have the "stupid house" mug, and I know exactly how it feels.  I think the reason some of us think it is funny (and Kathryn is being very polite about this) is that many people have no interest in learning how to fish.  They want you to catch it, clean and scale it, cook it, and feed it to them with a knife and fork.  And do the dishes.  Granted that is not a description of every human out there, but certainly as you get better and more public about your sewing, you will see people coming out of the woodwork asking you to hem pants, shorten sleeves, sew on buttons, and, yes, make curtains for their stupid houses.  For nothing but the pleasure of sewing, because you really like to do that, don't you?  Wouldn't you consider it a privilege?   :rotfl:

Back in the day when I tried to work 100 hours a week and do every other thing in the world, I was cross stitching a big picture for my nephew who was due New Years Day.  I carried it everywhere, and was furiously working on it at work in early Dec (because I had to get it finished in time for framing, and was desperate at that point).  A truly stupid person I worked with had been watching the progress (as had everyone) and actually asked if I could make one for her daughter for Christmas!  When I looked her dead in the eye and said "no", she seemed to think I had three heads, and was completely stunned.  Trust me, you'll see.  K
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:09:32 AM by karent »

Offline Betboyd

• Bboydshouse
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:31:23 AM »
Karent , I agree with everything you said... I have had experiences of the same thing....They think hours of your time is not worth anything....you enjoy sewing so much.  And these same people who will take advantage of you , would not spend an hour of their precious time doing  you a  favor.  And the ones who really gets to me, are those  fanatically clean housekeepers who would never sew and drop a thread on their floor ,( and I have some of those right in my family)  , thinks its just a great pleasure for you to sew for them.   I dont know about others, but , when I sew , my mind is all into sewing, not watching for every thread I might drop.....and usually have a mess when I am finished, thats why my sewing room is in the basement, with tile floors...easy to clean up .
    Same thing happened , when I used to bake and decorate cakes. People thought nothing of asking you to make a wedding cake , just for the fun of it.  I got this all the time,  "Oh I will buy all the supplies" .  Yea right!!!.  I guess so.

Offline karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:45:27 AM »
Most definitely Betboyd!  "I'll buy some thread and $1.00/yd fabric and you make me some seriously fitted pants that look just like those Ralph Lauren pants in the latest Vogue issue.  And I want to wear them tomorrow night..."  Right.  K

Offline mom2five

• Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 03:06:17 AM »
I definitely need the "stupid house" t-shirt!

My favorite sewing request was from a lady that barely knew me.  She wanted a flower girl dress made for her daughter.  I met her out to look at the pattern and discuss cost, she graciously offered to buy the fabric and already had the pattern so "this should be pretty easy for me".  Before I could even come up with the price she says, "what do you think?  I mean, I can buy it off of ebay for $35.00 but thought it would be cheaper if you made it."  She was pretty shocked when I told her to get it off ebay!  :)

Offline Betboyd

• Bboydshouse
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 03:37:49 AM »
Well, I have finally gotten smart enough to say , NO, I only sew for myself.. or something as a gift to a family member..I don't want the pressure of sewing for any others...I won't even hem a pair of pants for any one except  my husband , sons or daughters.
  And I absolutely hate alterations on premade garments..

Offline kitnrose

• My little shop - stop in and have some tea!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 04:34:28 AM »
I love her sayings - especially the one about sewing for others because that's how I've felt the few times I've been suckered into something.  Fortunately that was just in the beginning and my early attempts at sewing mastery must have scared people off because I rarely got asked a second time by the same person.   ;D  More recently I've taken to the "I can teach you ... I offer classes" or quoting my hourly rate.  Which aint cheap.  Granted, as a grad student I'll suck it up and sew for pay if a job comes but oddly I've had very few take me up on it.  :)  Every so often something does come up that's interesting, like sewing period wear for my MIL's grandmother's doll, but that's more a happy instance of a fun challenge that just happens to make someone else happy.  Or the time I got to help outfit a cosplay group.  That was fun and low pressure because the stuff only had to last a night.  And the fabric was fantastically fun and I was doing it with friends.  But regular sewing for others?  No, I've got enough sewing I'd rather do for myself.

I so need to get some of those sayings.

And I just realized Betboyd said everything I'm trying to say in a line and a half.  :) 

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »
I love all the sayings, but the suckas one is probably my favorite.  When I first started sewing, I was really proud of a dress I'd made (and back then I sewed everything by hand) and was inundated by people asking me to make them things.  Yes, I loved to sew.  Yes, I was proud of being able to make something that I could not only wear, but that other people appreciated and thought was good.  Yes, I was flattered to be asked.  But, no, I was not interested in giving up my free time and my own sewing time to make stuff for other people even if they bought the fabric.  Not one of them offered to pay me anything near what my time would cost; in fact, I don't think anyone even offered the equivalent of minimum wage.  So I do understand the sentiment.

OTOH, I do enjoy sewing for others when it's what I want to do.  That is, if I suddenly decide to make a dress for someone or offer to do some repairs, that's a different matter. 
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 05:23:56 AM »
I just realized that saying could be interpreted to say "Sewing for myself is the only thing I enjoy, so I never make gifts" or some such.  But that's not how I read it.
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 05:45:28 AM »
Well, I have finally gotten smart enough to say , NO, I only sew for myself.. or something as a gift to a family member..I don't want the pressure of sewing for any others...I won't even hem a pair of pants for any one except  my husband , sons or daughters.
  And I absolutely hate alterations on premade garments..

I have answered that when I sew for others it becomes a "job".  I don't want a job.  I had one for 35 years and retired.  I've had a few close friends to beg me for alterations on RTW.  I have given them a seam ripper and said, come back when it's all ripped out and we'll talk.  I do believe I lost at least one friend this way.  DH understands and has tried to explain to others.  But most people seem to think I can "make money" by doing alterations for a quarter or fifty cents.  They don't get it.  I am at the point where I too just say, No I sew only for myself.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
Thanks, Kathryn

Reading the other comments about sewing for others brings back a memory of an event that changed my mind about sewing for others. I'd agreed to sew a black floor length skirt for my DM's sister (my aunt). I'd taken her measures, but at that time in my sewing career, didn't know what it was to tissue fit, or make a trial garment (muslin). I was just a kid, and also didn't have the wherewithall to challenge my aunt when she insisted that although her measures pointed to one thing, she knew that it was incorrect, because the size clothes she purchased at the store was different (smaller).

After I'd made the skirt, it didn't fit. She needed it for that evening, so she and her husband brought the skirt over to be altered. I have such bad memories of sitting at my machine and crying as my uncle yelled about what a bad idea it was to have me make the skirt in the first place.

Although I do still sew for others (I made her daughters bridesmaids dresses, and prom dress for one of them), I only sew for others when I want to. When asked if I sew, or how much I charge to sew a certain item, I always reply: "I only sew for myself".

If sewing became a burden, as I know it would if it were a job, then I'd grow to dislike it, and it pains me to even try and imagine my life without sewing in it.

btw, I think that the sayings are hilarious
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:22:11 PM by sewsy »

Offline LauraS.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
Love the funny sayings.  Like her blog too.  I'll have to read more of that when time permits.  My favorite will have to be the "it's cute...".  That's kind of how I feel when asked to sew... While a firm no is being stifled on the lips.   If you're not in the right frame of mind, sewing for others can become a job or worse a burden.  DD's BF's DM came over last year, two weeks before flying off to get married, to see what I would charge to alter a size 12 wedding dress to a size 4.  What?!  This dress was complete with beading down the sides and every other which a way.  The first thing out of my mouth was why did you buy a size 12 knowing it wasn't going to fit at all?  it was such a good deal was the answer.  I suggested she buy another dress and sell this one.  Then I gave her the name of an alteration business.  This was a no win situation for me.  And just last month, DN, who knows how to sew and has a new SM, wanted me to "sew up" a baby crib bedding set complete with drapes.  Strongly suggested she come over and I'll show her the ins and outs and she can do it.  She didn't come over, so I'm not sure what she ended up with.  (Oh, the mom-to-be wanted a pink skull and cross bones as the motif on this set.   (Hmmm, with this generation, there might be a business idea there.) 

I try hard not to offer/volunteer my services , but when I do I mean it and will follow thru.

Offline Gigi Louis

• Sewing is my passion!
    • BehindTheSeams.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
Hysterical!  Honestly, when you've been sewing as long as I have, you have no problem saying NO.  It is amazing how many people you hardly know will announce that they 'have a job for you'.  Years ago, one of the mothers on my son's baseball team announced that she needed a favor:  altering her daughter's recital dress.  Seems she waited too long and the only dress left was a ladies' size 16.  Her daughter was a little 7 yo!  She had never given me the time of day in the two years that her son played for my ex-H and suddently she was my best friend.  The most infuriating part was that she had been to a dressmaker and was appalled that they wanted to charge her $35!  

Yesterday, a lady informed me that I 'had to' teach her how to sew.  She actually said 'I'll just come over and you can show me'.  Um, no.  Even family can sometimes be mightily ungrateful and unappreciative of sewn gifts.  As if you cheaped out by making them something.  So, I have a couple of good friends I'd make anything for and I'll sew my honey and DS all the shirts they want.  Otherwise, it's just memememememe.  ;D  I think I need that mug!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:52:33 PM by Gigi Louis »
Gigi (who's going broke saving money sewing)

http://behindtheseams.wordpress.com

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »
...that she had been to a dressmaker and was appalled that they wanted to charge her $35!  

Absolutely.  I lost a friend over a $7 hem job.  It was black heavily beaded.  She wanted it blind stitched.  The alterations shop wanted $7 which she thought was robbery.  Because I have "the fantastic machine that does everything" -her words not mine- she thought I should do it for $2. I declined politely explaining that I didn't think I had the expertise or my machine the ability to blind hem through all that heavy beading.  So then she wants me to hem it by hand for $1. I declined firmly.  There just was no way I was spending and hour or two, did I mention this was a large circular hem- hand hemming black fabric.  She left in a huff, convinced that she had offered me a reasonable amount and I had unreasonably refused.  BTW both she and her mother did sewing.  I always wondered what her excuse was for not doing it herself but thinking someone else should do it for $1.

...  Even family can sometimes be mightily ungrateful and unappreciative of sewn gifts.  As if you cheaped out by making them something.  ..
Ditto here. I got stung by looks of disgust when I had spent hours making something and could have found something for less $$$.  I make very little for others. I'm actually on a campaign to teach the world that sewing it myself is more expensive than buying it.  I've got the lecture down pat.   So that everytime someone implies my sewing garments are cheaper they get an earful.

I'm going to quit reading this thread.  Eveytime somebody makes a post, I get up on my soap box.   :soap:  You don't need it I don't need it.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
Bev, that was a good story.  So you lost a friend who wasn't really a friend.  And don't worry about the soap box.  The forum is for letting off steam.  My answer has always been that I sew for me and mine.  When I do sew for someone else it is a measure of my esteem.  Had to laugh at the "No Bedtime" quote, she could have been looking in my windows two nights ago.

Offline DebraMartin

• FancyPants p a t t e r n s
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
So Funny!  I get people all the time that say, "OMG! You are so good ! You should do this for a living!"  I politely explain that I just don't see how I could make six figures (after deducting for supplies and other expenses) sewing things for only 40 hours per week.  I was in a class with Cynthia Guffey who announced, "I do not sew for children."  I can totally relate.
my latest sewing project: http://debramartin.blogspot.com
Something else I've been working on: http://fancypantspatterns.com

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
My answer has always been that I sew for me and mine.  When I do sew for someone else it is a measure of my esteem. 

So Funny!  I get people all the time that say, "OMG! You are so good ! You should do this for a living!"  I politely explain that I just don't see how I could make six figures (after deducting for supplies and other expenses) sewing things for only 40 hours per week.

Amen, Theresa. Amen Debra.

Kathryn

Offline Gigi Louis

• Sewing is my passion!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »
Bev, I love it when you get on your soapbox!  As you can see from my signature line, I am going broke saving money sewing.  

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
I think soapboxing can be very therapeutic.  ;D

I don't know if it's because I've been sewing so long as Gigi said or if it's just personality (I'm thinking more the latter) but I also have no problem saying no.  I try to be diplomatic if called for - i.e. sometimes people genuinely believe the request is a compliment because they so respect your talent.

Occasionally I'll do it even if assumed if someone asks nice or has been kind to me.  I was a bit taken aback when bf had his kids's Christmas stockings out on the table one night when I went over and said "I have a sewing job for you".  Uh, you what?  But I know he meant no ill intent (and restitching the hangers was minor compared to shirtzilla on the machine for him) and was good to me so it was fine.  Ex MIL brought a box of pants to be hemmed on a visit once, no discussion aforehand, and said she brought them for me to hem, but there were only 6 pair and they were all alike.  I wonder what she'd do if someone came to her for a cake (she's a master cake decorator) like that?  I said I'd look at them.  Well there were 8 pair, they were not all alike, two were, one had already been turned up twice hemmed so would have to be undone before being done.  They babysat that night while DH and I went to the movies and apparently she made a snarky comment to DD about how she didn't know how I was going to get those done since we went out.   So next morning she made some comment about the pants, I noted the dissimilarity and needed her to try them on to mark, and would have them for her when they came back following weekend.  Well she wanted them the next day (meaning that day)!  I stuck to next week.  So she took them and came back next week and they'd multiplied to 11 pair. And she joked that she'd had them for two years.  I said if they've been waiting for two years there was obviously no rush.  ExFIL said I told you you should have just taken them to a tailor (not mad at me, but the situation).  I said yeah, take 8 pair to a tailor/cleaner on a Saturday afternoon and tell them you'll be wanting them for your trip tomorrow and see what happens.  I said it very politely.  Since he intervened she backed down and asked politely if I could please just do the one black pair for their cruise. Sure.  I did those no problem.  All I wanted was to be asked and treated respectfully.

I turned my own daughter down for alterations to the bridesmaid's gown for her brother's wedding.  I am not proficient at those things (plus it was strapless, boned, lined, she's very large busted and given my DIL hates me already, it didn't matter how the other dresses fit or did not if I did an alteration she didn't like it would be fuel to the fire).
I have taught her to do some other simple alterations and guess what, she's appreciative and does them.  But if someone I care about asks me nicely or kindly without trying to take advantage (like the $1 hem!!!!) and I know what goes around comes around I'll do it if it's easy enough.

I have started sewing more for others this holiday season though.  As already stated, if it's MY idea then it's what I want to sew and why and I'll do it.  I'd gotten in a not so pleasant mood over some issues with someone and I found it very rewarding that when put in such a mood, making something nice for someone I cared about and knowing they were getting a gift and not the person who thought they were was uplifitng.  Ok so I'm nice but in a backhanded sort of way.  :P  My exSIL and a couple good friends are recipients of some beautiful aprons they were surprised and thrilled to receive. Quiltzilla is top done, basted together, and will be given to a dear old childhood friend who loves purples. It's not a high end quilt like so many, just a myriad of purples in a rail fence pattern. It was originally intended for DIL whose favorite color is purple.  I do not enjoy quilting but I am so happy to be giving to my good friend who I know will appreciate the effort and irony - and purple - it entails. 

But I cannot WAIT to be done to get back to just sewing for me.  Memememememe!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:49:48 PM by movinon »
Karen

Offline Mike

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
Yeah, sounds to me if you lose a so-called "friend" over such a reason, they don't sound like much of a friend and you're better off without them... I may have only a handful of people who I'd call friends, but they're not ones who'd let something silly like that jeopardize our friendship.  Then again, none of them are likely to ever ask me to sew or hem them anything, so hah.

I wonder if this problem is mostly limited to women.  I'll have to test this hypothesis.  Because I really doubt even if I get good at sewing, no guy unless I make some gay friends or acquaintances, is going to ask me to sew them something :P.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:53:50 AM by Mike »
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us."  —Helen Keller

"The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself." —Mark Twain

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »
I've never really had this problem either  -  well, except for DH  ::) .  Perhaps because there are many people around here who make a living through handcrafting of various sorts and most people understand it's value.

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 02:42:55 AM »
I wonder if this problem is mostly limited to women.  I'll have to test this hypothesis.  Because I really doubt even if I get good at sewing, no guy unless I make some gay friends or acquaintances, is going to ask me to sew them something :P.

Never underestimate the guile of a freeloader.  They transcend gender, preference, race, income.... it's a character issue.
Karen

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 03:15:27 AM »
Some people take joy
We call them "suckas."
This is very snarky, but funny, if you are talking about sewing something you don't really want to sew, but then how are you taking joy in it? Fair enough comment iif you are whinging about the sewing!
It is not nearly so funny  IMO, iif you are making something for someone else because you want to, and this is the comment you get on your blog post about it.
Karen

what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline Lisa Laree

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 04:25:46 AM »
Well...my DH got an email from a guy at church, whom he knows slightly, who said that his nieces told him I was the best seamstress at church (I make a lot of costumes when needed).  He said that he had a favorite old wool cap that was coming apart, and some very nice wool, and he would pay me well to copy his hat several times.  Would I be interested?

Um, no.

My standard reply is that 'I don't sew for the public; if I did that, I'd have to go into business and I couldn't do the volunteer costuming that I do...it would make the volunteer stuff way too expensive for me.'  By the time they figure that one out, I've slipped off or changed the subject.

I wouldn't bat an eye at telling someone my per hour rate was $15...which is peanuts, really...but if you take into account how long it actually takes to do something right, from start to finish, that adds a huge tag to the 'fabric I already have.'

Once after someone asked me to fix a garment for them, I got so frustrated I had to let off some steam about it and wrote a little analogy on my blog:
If Sewing Were Cooking

Hem your own pants!  >:D
Lisa Laree
So much fabric -- so little time!
Sew Random

Offline sewsanna

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »
While this problem is not one I've ever had, I have to note that there are in  most communities seamstresses and tailors making a living doing this kind of work.
If the garment is worth mending, altering, or copying, then it is worth going to people who make a living doing this. For them, the arduous task for the sewing enthusiast is probably much easier, because they have the right equipment and loads of experience.  

If someone asked me to do a sewing job that I felt was unreasonable, I'd have no problem recommending the seamstress who has done work for my family for over 20 years. If he/she thought rates for the job were too expensive, then I have a problem with them thinking they don't want to have to pay a decent hourly rate for a good job. That puts them in the same category as employers who don't want to do the same, IMO.

Offline Gigi Louis

• Sewing is my passion!
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Lisa, I loved your blog post - you are so funny!  I think the next time someone asks me I will quote them $50/hr since my free time is worth at least that. :o  I do have all the professional equipment and I could go into business but I don't want to.  I loved machine embroidery too - until that was my business for more than a dozen years.  Now I don't care if I ever embroider again.  I kept one of my machines and it's been gathering dust - I should probably sell it.

Offline momadams

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 06:26:41 PM »
For several years I made costumes for  high school productions - the director was a good friend and knew how to ask nicely.  When it was the twins' turn to do Fiddler on the Roof  I made their costumes (including naugahide shoe covers), caps for all, 7 or 8 black coats.  The next year the school basement flooded...

When I got a call from the new director about helping with costumes I suggested that I would be glad to tutor any student who wanted to make their own.  Guess how many responses I got...

Offline Ambimom

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was making purses for my family and friends.  A friend of my sister's [someone I'd never met]  asked her if I'd make one for her too.  My sister told her that I probably wouldn't do it, but the woman was insistent.  As incentive, she told my sister that she would buy all the materials needed, and suggested that it probably wouldn't take me very long to make anyway.  So......

I typed up a list of fabric, interfacing, thread, etc.  and added an hourly labor fee with a minimum of 5 hours and asked my sister to give it to the woman.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Never heard another word about it!

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
Some people take joy
We call them "suckas."
This is very snarky, but funny, if you are talking about sewing something you don't really want to sew, but then how are you taking joy in it? Fair enough comment iif you are whinging about the sewing!
It is not nearly so funny  IMO, iif you are making something for someone else because you want to, and this is the comment you get on your blog post about it.
Karen

How very rude!  They should be ashamed of themselves.  I love all the clothes you make for your kids.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »
Kbenco, I agree with Claudia--that was not a very nice post for anyone to leave on a 'blog.  It must have come from someone who had never seen the look of gratitude from someone receiving a gift that was sewn out of love.  It's supposed to be funny, that haiku, but it's the insulting tone of many of the Selfish Seamstress's haikus that bother me as well. Sometimes a funny joke, even if we are laughing at ourselves, can wound a bit and must be used with caution.

I only sew for those whom I love, but if they are not appreciative, I don't sew for them again. For years I stopped sewing for my darling DD because she was (as a teen) very judgemental of what I made and never wanted to stand still for a fitting.  Now at 26yo, she absolutely loves shopping my stash for patterns and fabrics. She loves the creativity of that step of the process, and I love producing the end result. She is so cooperative about fitting and supportive of my sewing decisions that it is pure pleasure to sew for her.  The only problem is now I don't get as many new garments for myself! Sharing sewing time will do that.  :)

A well-appreciated labor of love is a wonderful experience, and one that I wish for every sewist.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:32:58 PM by fzxdoc »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics