Author Topic: Where to get quality knit fabrics  (Read 8257 times)

Offline sonya4040

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Where to get quality knit fabrics
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:41 AM »
I need your resources. Getting decent knit fabric in my area is impossible and I have been out of the sewing loop for too long. I have no idea where to find  knit fabrics.  I am looking for dressy knits as well as some nice jersey knit solids and even some cute sweater knits. Were do you look?  I should add that I am looking for good online shops.

Sonya
I would rather have fun than be right any day~~~ Hitchhikers guide

Offline Gigi Louis

• Sewing is my passion!
    • BehindTheSeams.wordpress.com
Re: Where to get quality knit fabrics
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »
I get most of my knits from www.gorgeousfabrics.com.  I'm wearing one right now, as a matter of fact.
Gigi (who's going broke saving money sewing)

http://behindtheseams.wordpress.com

Offline Barbara3

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
I sew with knit fabrics a lot, have purchased from many online vendors, and have been happiest with the quality of those that I've found at Emma One Sock http://www.emmaonesock.com/ and Christine Jonson http://www.cjpatterns.com/index.html.  I like that polyester is rarely in the mix for either of these vendors.  EOS is actually my go-to website for both knits and wovens that are high quality.  Owner Linda is generous with information and feedback about her fabrics.  She offers a changing inventory of interesting sweater and other knit fabrics, as well as a consistenty stocked line of rayon jerseys in many colors.  Christine specializes primarily in rayon jerseys in a wide range of colors - that complement her fun pattern line.  Customer service at both is really outstanding.  You'll pay more at these vendors than at other places but, in these cases, you do get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:59:26 PM by Barbara3 »

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:50:07 PM »
EOS and Gorgeous Fabrics are outstanding, I think the latter has the most extensive collection.  Fabric Mart is a great source as well, inventory/selection varies.  In the past I have gotten some great rayon knit prints and ITY knits from Fashion Fabric Club at incredible prices. Their service is much slower than the others above but always a bargain, I've gotten some stuff I didn't like as well in person colorwise so it was fine for muslins, but quality was still there.  Spandex House - in person - is an adventure... I've trolled deep into the dark depths of the aisles pulling out rolls of fabrics not yet displayed and come out covered in lint and threads and had a joyous time - very reasonable - they have an online store with an extensive selection though there is a lot for costuming purposes.  Great service as well.  I used to have an outstanding semi local source which I hear has changed hands again, I was able to find some amazing textured and print knits that were featured in sewing mags and patterns and even ended up doing some reselling. 
Karen

Offline judith

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
I'm a big fan of Gorgeous Fabrics for good quality knits. The one time that I had a problem, she dealt with it immediately and quite satisfactorily. Service and product are both excellent.

Another smaller source for knit is Wazoodle. She advertises a wide selection of colours for interlock, but in my experience the selection is actually very small. But her interlock is top quality. I have tee's that I made for hanging around the house (when I was first learning to sew with knits) that are years old and still retain shape and colour. Her bamboo is processed in a closed facility, more environmentally friendly. Very good quality too.
Most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be. (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline rratstarr

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »
Another source for knits is the children's clothing line Chez Ami.  On their site, www.chezami.com, they sell their fabric by the yard.  The prints are childish, but the majority of their fabrics are solid, stripe, polka dots, and rib.  Their quality is very good.  They occasionally have clearance sales where you can get 2-yard cuts of their clearance fabric very cheaply (I think it was 2-2.50 a yard?  But I don't recall exactly).  Also, since it's from a clothing line, there are usually matching and/or coordinating wovens, fleece, and other types of fabric available.

Offline Threads

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »
I have bought loads of knits from Rose City Textiles, http://www.rosecitytextiles.com/, mostly for athletic wear but they have wools and cotton knits as well.  The price is usually amazing, but they are generally set up more for wholesale than retail, so the website is not all that user-friendly.  They do have a number for home sewers and the woman who works there has been incredibly helpful.  And they will send you swatches.

Offline Madrona

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
Good Golly that stuff from Chez Ami is adoooorable.   ;D

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »
Madrona, where have you been since you started everyone 'sharing their secrets'?  ;)

I bought a lot of fabric from Chez Ami to make onesies for my stepdaughter's new baby.  The interlock is of fabulous quality and they turned out really cute.  I am now 'onesied out' and am trying to figure out what to make with the rest.

I don't see Marcy Tilton on the list for knits.  I have yet to order from her but the temptation is growing.  ;)

Offline sonya4040

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Thank you everyone, good stuff there.

Chez Ami makes me wish I had small kids again.......almost.   I am planning a summer travel wardrobe and I have not had a lot of luck finding what I want locally. I have so few options. I wish my local fabric stores actually carried fabric but they are mostly craft stores.

Sonya
I would rather have fun than be right any day~~~ Hitchhikers guide

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 01:34:07 AM »
I echo everyone else's suggestions, and also add The Fabric Fairy - they have lots of printed cotton knits, which can be hard to find other places. It's nominally for kids but there are a lot of adult-suitable prints too. Also, Lucy's Fabrics, if no one has mentioned it yet.
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline Madrona

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:32 AM »
Madrona, where have you been since you started everyone 'sharing their secrets'?  ;)
LOL!  I came back the other day and went   :o that the thread was still going.  ;)  Anyway - I've been Very, Very busy ... see here...

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,9016.msg159644.html#msg159644

Offline Towanda

• Baltimore , Maryland
    • Life is sew sew good
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:20:39 AM »
I bought several fabrics from Marcy Tilton. The knits that I ordered were outstanding. I don't remember the shipping charges being out of line. Excellent customer service. I had a piece of fabric fall apart when I washed it. I sent an email to Customer Service. They tested the fabric and found out what the problem was. They sent me a new piece of fabric. I will definitely be a repeat customer.  NAYY.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline sophie

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
Sonya, if you ever find yourself in Portland, OR, go to Josephine's Dry Goods. I have been to fabric stores across the continent and have shopped online... Josephines' knit offerings are among the best I've seen. NAYY

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 10:07:38 PM »
www.casualelegancefabric.com specializes in fabrics for Loes Hinse patterns and has very interesting fabrics with ideas for using them.  I have been a happy customer for a long time and find that things just keep going together, no matter how long ago they were purchased.  Sharon is very helpful with information.

Back when Christine Jonson had the Clothesline and Sharon had a swatch service, I often mixed the two sources for one outfit very successfully.

NAYY and all that.

Karleene
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:11:36 PM by Sewshopper »

Offline shinygreenpenny

• Island Couture
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »
Just an FYI that Marcy Tilton's newsletter stated there is to be free shipping this upcoming weekend, for the US only.  I did send a query asking for a discount to Canada but have not received a response yet.  Perhaps if others north of the border  sent emails if they were interested in this it would be more worthwhile for them to offer some sort of incentive for Canadian shoppers (or fabric horders like myself ;)  ).

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics