Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

Author Topic: September is soup-up your sewing room month :-)  (Read 13660 times)

Pina

Re: September is soup-up your sewing room month :-)
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »

Well since I killed my sewing room TV, Iíve returned to soup-up mode.  Think Iím going to replace my cutting mat too. I bought a Rhino Hide mat 8-10 (Ithink) years ago.  It has been pretty good but the surface has slowly roughed up.  I especially like that it easily doubles from rotary cutting to a painting and other craft surface.  I couldnt decide between the two but finally realized that I already cover the mat with a plastic tarp to reduce the amount of paint residue.  Iíll just keep doing that. Found one big enough to cover my 36x72 cutting table for about $135 but havent ordered yet. It will make a nice Xmas gift to myself ;D.

Bev,Judith posted U.S. Speedpress on SG here in Reply #133."They will cut it to specific size I want, no extra charge".  Self-healing mat 4í x 6í = $82.45.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »

The ironing board is actually working well in the new location.
I had a good tidy up and put fabric back on shelves, thread in drawers, patterns in boxes etc and there's a reasonable amount of space now to work on things.
I've got some proper tailored trousers in woven fabric on the go and it was good to have the ironing board there to fuse the interfacing, press darts etc.
I've also been making some fleece hats which I have thoroughly enjoyed doing I have to say. I think I'll cut some more out in other colours.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2017, 12:03:36 AM »

Bev,Judith posted U.S. Speedpress on SG here in Reply #133."They will cut it to specific size I want, no extra charge".  Self-healing mat 4í x 6í = $82.45.
Thank you Pina.  Iím wanting the self healing mat on the same site.  The self healing mat is about $135 which is more than the Rhino.  Iíve had both self-healing and Rhino.  Want the self healing because as it wears out due to use, it is not as rough as the Rhino.  I wonder if I would have even noticed the difference 30 years ago.  In those days I didnt sew and cut as much as I do now.  I had my first mats 20+ years before they needed replacing.
sdBev

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »

Everyone is still going with their soup up your sewing room. I packed the last of my sewing items yesterday. I will start to unpack them in December.

My new sewing room is almost 14 x 25' and is painted a tan color. It has terrible lighting with an overhead fan light. I will try it out this winter but am thinking the electrician may have to come in and put some pot lights in for better lighting.

I am getting excited about setting up the room. I will have my sewing, knitting, and dolls all in one spot. I look forward to unpacking.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Towanda

• Paid Member
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »

My new sewing room is almost 14 x 25' and is painted a tan color. It has terrible lighting with an overhead fan light. I will try it out this winter but am thinking the electrician may have to come in and put some pot lights in for better lighting.

Ann

I have LED bulbs in my ceiling fan, strips of LED lights under a couple of shelves and 2 LED lamps. I can see much better at night now.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2017, 02:05:07 AM »

I have LED bulbs in my ceiling fan, strips of LED lights under a couple of shelves and 2 LED lamps. I can see much better at night now.

I will be putting LED bulbs into all the light fixtures in the house. If that doesn't work completely in that room, I will have 6 to 8 LED pot lights installed into that room. I hate dark rooms and our house here is so bright due to the LED pot lights and all the LED light bulbs in the other fixtures.

Ann

ejvc

• O/T Politics
  • Plan-bot and machine knitting cryptographer.
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

I don't suppose anyone has noticed it's not September any more? :-)

I've just returned from a long stint in New Mexico and my sewing room is a real mess... AND I haven't installed any lights, although I purchased them.  But I did put up decorations.  Maybe time to start getting things in order.
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »

Sure we did but we carried on anyway. Nice to see you back Elizabeth.

You could always change the title of the thread if its really bugging you :-)

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »

I know it isn't September but like Ruthie said, we carried on.

Welcome back from your long stint in New Mexico. Hope you had a great time.

Ann

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »

Good Luck for your move Ann - hope you get a lovely sewing room  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »

Ejvc

I didnt finish, I just ran out of time and enthusiasm.  My biggest take away is that I need to divide up the cleaning from the gussying if I want to get it done in one month. ;D

sdBev

ejvc

• O/T Politics
  • Plan-bot and machine knitting cryptographer.
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »

Yes -- I think cleaning in August is the way to go...
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2017, 03:07:01 AM »

So, will it be Clean up your sewing room in august and then gussy up your sewing room in September?  I'm in already.

Ann

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2017, 07:34:15 AM »

I could do with the cleaning up bit being before SWAP starts so I know where the heck everything is and have room to do things :-)
I have piles of fabric on the floor again (sigh).

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »

I could do with the cleaning up bit being before SWAP starts so I know where the heck everything is and have room to do things :-)
I have piles of fabric on the floor again (sigh).

This is why I want a sewing room with a door, I do not clean until the project is complete!

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »

I've been posting on the daily time in the sewing room thread, but that's really about sewing not tidying.

So here goes.
I've tidied the thread drawers and sorted through some bits and bobs boxes and put all the sewing tools away in mini drawers and a larger box with a handle.
Now I only have a limited number of places to look when I want snap pliers, turning tool, chalk and etc.
Plus all the machine needles are in one place etc. This feels like progress.

I then got distracted and went a tidied up the conservatory but there is method in my madeness. The table in the conservatory is now clear and I shall cover it with a plastic cloth and do any messy projects in there which involve glue, paint etc.
I have a unit in there with storage boxes and I'm going to sort those out and keep all my craft materials in there.
Some craft stuff will then move out of the sewing room.

I'm also going to put some stuff in the loft that I've not quite decided about like vintage patterns, and make some bookcase space elsewhere to handle sewing books and older Burda magazines. Hopefully that will get some stuff off the tables and allow me to have more space around the machines.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »

Ruthie, I am hoping to put all the doll trim into sandwich bags and put them back neatly into the tub I store them in. I did start and I do like how it looks and how easy it will be to see the laces, etc. Everything else is pretty much sorted into tubs and I love how I can find items quickly.

I have a corner desk where I was suppose to do beading but it has turned itself into the computer area. I bead at the sewing machine which isn't perfect. I will have to decide where I want to bead and set up my stuff there. It isn't a lot but I do like to have an area in which to bead.

My messiest area is where I knit. I have my iPad, my project, pattern, and small tools in a small bag around me. I also have a book and pen in which I keep notes of each project I make. A lot of time it is number of cast on stitches, tally marks for rows knit, and info that I need when I do the same project later on. I'd like it neater but it is how I knit comfortably.

Ann

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »

I put the sandwich bags on the table so I can start sorting not only trims for the dolls but the knitting needle stash. I knit a newsboy hat yesterday that became a beret. I thought I had the right size needles but I didn't. They were too small. So, I need to measure and organize the ones that have cases and use them and put the rest into marked sandwich bags. I am thinking I need a day in the sewing room to organize these two areas.

Ann

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »

DBF and I have started planning to replace the open shelving in the sewing room with a proper cupboard with doors and shelves.
Probably a setup of the PAX wardrobes from IKEA as they can have lots of shelves added and the rail omitted.
We are going to measure some more and look at what would need to be moved out in order to have room to construct the wardrobes.
It will be a big job when we do it but I think it will really improve the sewing room in the long run.
I currently have open wooden shelving with a curtain on the front which isn't ideal.

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »

I need to measure and organize the ones that have cases and use them and put the rest into marked sandwich bags.

I made a roll-up case for my knitting needles, with a separate section for each size.  Very useful, and embarrassing how many needles of each size I had collected before getting organised  ;D

https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2018, 11:12:54 AM »

Lisanne, I had a roll up case for my knitting needles and then gifted it to a friend who loved it. I have lots of the same size needles also. I think I have 3 sets of 3.25 mm double pointed needles. I use 2 sets for when I knit DGS socks. Not sure why I have the third set as they are all Karbonz needles. Having them in bags allows me to add small notes like the ones that are a smidge smaller than 3.25 mm.

One day I will have to sort out the needles and give away the ones I don't use or like. I'm really into using my rosewood interchangeable circular needles, Karbonz and Addi turbo. I should spend my $$ and flesh out those sets rather than buy some of the others I do.

Ann

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »

I apologize if this has already been discussed but I just discovered this yesterday

As some know, we made a big move last fall, after more than 45 years, 30+ in the same house.

We are still setting up our hobby areas, and yesterday I discovered this at Ikea - one of the many good things about this move is being able Tto go to big stores like Ikea

This is a peg board system, but itís nice bright white. I love it.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S09216595/

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

ljh

• Paid Member
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »

Judith, I just got a couple of these pegboards to replace some office supply storage that I'm losing by moving the printer stand downstairs.  I love them. In fact, I need to go back to Ikea and get another shelf and some of those elastic bands.  They'd work really well for sewing supplies as well.
Linda

Saashka

• Paid Member
  • sewing in the Washington, D.C. area
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2018, 11:50:08 PM »

DH got me these fabulous hibiscus flower decals for my machine. Theyíre from Urban Elementz. I just love the look of my machine now - I keep sneaking a peek at it every morning before I go to work - it just brightens my day so much.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »

Saashka, pretty decals.

I don't really do pegboards but I love the little wooden drawers ikea make, I use them for scizzors and tape measures etc by the machine. We all develop our own preferred way to store things, so whatever makes your sewing smoother has to be good!

We are going to properly measure up for the cupboard on Sunday, but don't plan to go to Ikea for a month. DBF wants to make sure its practical and I agree.

Judith

• Paid Member
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2018, 05:03:29 PM »

Later today we are going to put up the magnetic strips in the sewing studio. I thought I could do without them, reluctant to put holes in the newly painted walls.  But old habits die hard. My scissors elude me. I simply cannot get used to keeping stuff like that on a horizontal surface.  So the strips are going back up, and Iím happy about that. Today weíll also rearrange furniture for what I hope will be the last time.
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2018, 01:00:26 AM »

sdBev

Saashka

• Paid Member
  • sewing in the Washington, D.C. area
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »

Thank you, Bev! Yes, it does. And it makes me happy every time I look at it.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »

Thank you, Bev! Yes, it does. And it makes me happy every time I look at it.

And it makes me happy just seeing your post!

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:46 AM »

Yesterday I crawled round on the sewing room floor and picked up all the pins, and then when DBF was vacuuming he was able to go in there as well.
It does look nice and I think will look even better with the new cupboard and the big sort I expect that to generate.

However sewing has stalled which is a bit of a shame. May commence tomorrow, but I am busy tonight.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »

Yesterday DDIL and I were wandering in Ikea looking for office and bathroom organization items. We found peg board and the attachments which I will get next month for the sewing room. One board will be for the embroidery hoops and the second one will be for scissors, and other items that are placed around the room neatly but which I love in one spot. A small one may be bought for an inspiration board so I can clip ideas up on it. Looking forward to having that project done in the sewing room.

Ann

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2018, 08:19:37 AM »

In the sewing room, I have emptied out my old open shelving unit ready for it to be moved out to the garage for storage there for tools, paint cans and gardening stuff.
I am planning to replace it with basic white Pax wardrobes from Ikea, I've done the plan and hope to get next week as I'm off work.

I will not just be putting it all back in the new cupboard, but will be making some choices about what to donate/recycle.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »

Wonderful project! Canít wait to hear when it itís complete!

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »

You've made a good start Ruthie! A great project for your week off work.

I'm going to start a purge of my fabrics, maybe tomorrow, I'm not sure where I can donate the unwanted pieces to though. I think Oxfam take them but don't know of any other places in the UK.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »

This suburb is the local charity shop hub, and many of them have lengths of fabric on sale, tho usually home dec weights.  We also have a charity shop which specialises in craft materials - have you got something similar in your area ?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here