Author Topic: Batting for a comforter  (Read 3646 times)

Offline TraceyG

Batting for a comforter
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
I want to make a comforter for DS for Christmas.  I have the fabric but need some advice on what kind of batting to use between the layers.  He would like it to be thick and it is a queen size bed.  Can I use two layers of batting or should I do something else.  I make mostly garments and just don't know much about batting.  Any advice would be very appreciated. 

Thank you!
Tracey

Offline zippianna

• with a wink and a nod
Re: Batting for a comforter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:48:39 PM »
Tracy, I've made a couple of them.  I used the thickest poly batt that was available, and it was pretty thick.  2 inches?  Maybe it's still available, and it came in a roll.  Join the long pieces, with a figure 8 stitch, to get the width for the Queen bed.

After stacking,  I tied through all layers with embroidery floss rather than trying to  put any quilting on the body.   These thick poly batts may still be available at upholstery fabric stores.

I think you can use two layers if the thicker ones aren't still available.  Safety Pin everything together and then tie through all layers after getting it all smooth, and then turn and sew down the bindings to the back. 

What a nice thing to make for your hubby.  Let us know how it goes?  Best Wishes.
Don't forget to smile....

Offline TraceyG

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
Zippianna,

Thank you for the instructions.  I purchased some 8 oz batting today at Joann's and will add a layer of 4 oz go on top.  They were having a 40% off sale on it along with an additional 10%. 

I will follow your directions and give it a whirl!

Offline zippianna

• with a wink and a nod
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:33:34 AM »
I hope you have a happy experience and all goes well.   Those big, thick Comforters are hard to arm wrestle.   They wear you out!
Don't forget to smile....

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics