Author Topic: Quilting hoops - which size?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline sophie

Quilting hoops - which size?
« on: October 31, 2009, 02:13:21 AM »
Hi... I was looking at hoops at the store the other day and had no idea which size would be best for hand-quilting my crib-sized project... the quilted design is a flower about 10-12 inches in diameter.  Thanks for any tips.

Offline sophie

Re: Quilting hoops - which size?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 02:19:31 AM »
PS - Joanns had hoops ranging from about 6-8 in. to 18 and maybe more. Wondering about pros and cons of small vs. large.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »
Sophie, I wish I could help you.  I don't use a hoop or any frame.  I just can't get the hang of  them, so I tend to scrunch everything in my hand or as much as I can get of the surrounding area in my hand then go for it. 

However, that being said, I would think that you would want a hoop/frame that would a couple of inches beyond your stitching area.  Maybe?  I do know that you don't want anything that will pull your quilt too tight, it needs to have some 'give' to it.  I've heard that it needs to feel like I cat has laid on it...that type of slack.  You'd want enough room to be able to stitch around the entire flower easily without distortion.

That's my two cents, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline sophie

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 04:33:14 AM »
Thank you, Laurie, that is very helpful. I was leaning toward the 12 inch and think I'll go ahead and get that one ... posting frm my phone, so keeping this brief... thanks again.

Offline Jennifer Hill

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:43 PM »
When I teach hand quilting, I recommend a hoop between 10-14 inches in diameter.  Anything larger is usally too large, unless you have realllllyyyy long arms.  Most quilters these days can only stitch comfortably in one direction, and constantly rotate their hoops so that they can work in comfort.  Those of us who learned to quilt on large floor frames know that it is possible, with practice, to quilt in all directions, but I usually leave those exercises for later classes. 

But you don't need a big hoop to quilt big quilts.  I've done everything up to queens on my 12" one.

Jennifer Hill
--
'Winds of inspiration. . .'
Quilt Canada 2010
Telus Convention Centre, Calgary, AB
April 26 - May 1 2010

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
Jennifer, aren't you the same one who used to post all the time on the old Sewing World?
Laurie H

Offline Terri B

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
Jennifer is the vintage Singer lady.   :)  Haven't seen you around for a long time Jennifer. 

I hand quilt with a 14" hoop and have worked on all sizes with it.  As Jen says, I only learned to quilt towards myself, so am constantly turning the hoop to reorient things.  Someone once told me to never buy a hoop bigger than the distance from your elbow to your fingertips.

Offline Jennifer Hill

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »
Yes, 'tis I, another refugee from the old Sewing World format.   Although I still quilt a fair bit, I tend to post mostly under the Sewing Machine topics.  I'm definitely a vintage/antique SM nut, and use them for practically all of my sewing, especially quilt piecing and FM work.

Jennifer Hill
--
Quilt Canada 2010
April 26 - May 1 2010

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »
I knew I recognized your name, even though I haven't seen your posts in any of the threads in which I post for quite some time.  If I remember correctly, we used to post back and forth quite a bit.  You've been quite helpful to me in the past and I do so appreciate all the help you've given me.

I've appreciated all the help I was given back in the SW days.  I had been quilting for a while, but I my results were not satisfactory.  I just wasn't that happy with what I was doing and was limiting myself because I think I was afraid to keep trying new things.  When I started asking questions and getting so much help, I realized there was a lot more I could learn and I was really happy with what I was doing.  I was so much more comfortable with my abilities and I have all those wonderful ladies at SW to thank, including Jennifer and Terri. 
Laurie H

Offline edelweiss

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 02:57:58 PM »
Are you all from Calgary like me

Offline Terri B

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »
I'm from Oregon, Laurie's from Maine, and I think Jen is from somewhere in BC.

Offline Jennifer Hill

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 01:05:24 AM »
I'm also in Calgary, Edelweiss!  As you can maybe tell from my tagline, I'm deep into planning and organizing Quilt Canada 2010 here next April.

Jennifer Hill
--
Quilt Canada 2010
April 26 - May 1 2010

Offline edelweiss

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
jen do you belong to the alberta handicrafts guild will see you monday if you are.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics