Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

Author Topic: guide to linen weights  (Read 1878 times)

norsewoman

• O/T Politics
guide to linen weights
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »

Does anyone have a quick reference and guide for buying linen by weight from an online source?  I assume that info would be avaiable in both grams and ounces.
I am looking at some from an Etsy source by I am having to look for clues as to whether it would be suitable to use for blouses and dresses.
This Etsy shop sells fabric that is shipped from Wuhan, China.  (My daughter in law is from Wuhan.)  But, the description says it is good for "housewarming".  I kept reading that and I think I have figured it to mean  what we call "home dec". 
I see linen listed as being different weights, but I am not always sure what weight I should be looking for.  I understand how the weight is established, but that does not always tell me the hand or the quality. A couple of them I looked more closely with the zoom feature and it is evident that the weave is coarse. 
I would like to have reference to a simple quide in both ounces and grams. 
Should be a quick google, shouldn't it?  I am not able to bring it up quickly and I wonder if some of you have a reference.

LauraM

• Paid Member
Re: guide to linen weights
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »

It's been quite a long time since I ordered from them, but I was pleased with the linen I bought from here:

http://www.fabrics-store.com/

They give you the thread size and count per weft and per warp, the weight in ounces to the yard of fabric, and what kind of items it is suitable for.

Hope it helps
Laura

Morgan

• love sewing, always have, always will
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »

test mssge getting error forbidden page when posting reply with links so trying this without
Okay that worked, will try to add post bit by bit with Modify/Edit

Descriptions you may see for types of linen for clothing.
Handkerchief: Tissue weight for blouses and lingerie
Lightweight:  Blouses, shirts, dresses
Mid-weight:  Structured tops, pants, dresses, skirts
Heavy weight:  Suits and outerwear jackets.

The article in the link below gives some useful descriptive information which can be helpful to judge what a linen may be used for - eg.
Hanky weight is the lightest weight linen (also known as tissue or shirt weight linen). Itís a sheer linen with a very soft drape. Depending on the quality of the linen, and if it isnít too shear, itís perfect for shirts, blouses, skirts (although they may need to be lined). It can also be used for cushions, hankies and bedding.
Light weight linens are mainly used for shirts, blouses and historical undergarments. The medium weight linens are more suitable for jackets, tunics, dresses and softly-draping trouser styles.
https://www.fabworks.co.uk/blogs/fabworks-online-blog/37607681-everything-you-need-to-know-about-linen

The site in the link organises their offerings of linen by weight, by use, by colour, by type etc.
Each is listed with the grammes per square metre.
On each individual item several attributes are listed - eg. Type, Weight, Use, Care and so on.
Whilst it's not a complete reference guide, you could compile your own to give you an idea for comparison.
eg. Types of linen - Mesh / Jersey, Yarn-dyed, Muslin, Dobby, Ready-to-dye, Mťtis
Weights range from light at 85g/m2 to 350g/m2 and over
http://www.couturelin.co.uk/use-linen-fabrics/linen-fabrics-clothing.html

for compiling your own chart/guide, the site in the next link may be more useful because it ranges from Ultra Fine Light Weight Linen through to Heavy Weight and Upholstery Linen.
At the bottom of the listings of the linens by weight is further information about the fabrics and their uses.
http://ulsterlinen.com/tailor_linen.htm

some reference resources about linen at the end of the article http://clothes-press.net/different-fabric-types/linens

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=2815.0

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:52:28 PM by Morgan »

norsewoman

• O/T Politics
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:26:04 PM »

thanks for the replies.   I just don't like ordering fabric without feeling if it is going to be suitable for the intended use.  I have no space in my life for piling up and collecting fabric that does not fit the need.  I don't want to build a new stash, at all.  I only want what I need, no more.  So,if I buy it and it does not suit my need, then it is a waste of resources for me.  I dont' want it.
I would rather not buy than to buy something that turns out to be something that I dont' need.

It is a mystery to me how so many shop online for clothing or fabric.  I find that there is so often not the right information that I need to know exactly what is being offered.  I see many clothing sites that display items that you can really tell very little about from the photos.  I never order clothes, of any kind, from online.
Some of these fabric stores seem to be much the same problem.  One thing that I see is that some list "sewing" as one of  the uses for the fabric.  Well, that certainly tells us a lot doesn't it?  I find so much of it to be a crap shoot.

I am going to peruse more info on linen and try to find some grounds on which to base a decision.    Thanks for the links.

lsherm47

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:57:53 AM »

LINEN WEIGHTS:

Sheer Weight (2.5 oz/yd2)
Thread count warp :   38
Thread count weft :   34
Curtains, apparel

Light Weight/Handkerchief (3.5 oz/yd2)
Thread count warp :   51
Thread count weft :   43

Middle Weight (5.3 oz/yd2)
Thread count warp :   46
Thread count weft :   37
apparel, bedding, pillowcases, interior design, home furnishings

Heavy Weight (7.1 oz/yd2)
Thread count warp :   38
Thread count weft :   32
apparel, placemats, napkins, table runners, bath towels, kitchen accessories

Canvas Weight (9.1 oz/yd2)
Thread count warp :   21 - 52
Thread count weft :   34 - 62
apparel, placemats, napkins, table runners, bath towels, kitchen accessories

Higher priced/premium linens usually have a higher thread count per inch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:09:30 PM by lsherm47 »

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »

thanks Isherma for the excellent info on linen. If you need to convert/compare metric measurements (gram per  sq. meter) here is an easy way to do the conversion. Get your computer to do the math for you.

http://www.ginifab.com/feeds/ozyd2_gm2/

mid weight is about 180 grams per sq. meter

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here