Author Topic: hem tape  (Read 3395 times)

Offline the OTHER Mom to 5 aka Tee

• Mama's sewing log
hem tape
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:57:03 PM »
I used some iron iron hem tape on a wool blend skirt a few months ago... it looked fine at the time but now it if lifting in some places... Im guessing that if I iron it again, there is not enough glue to allow it to stick again

( Im never buying iron on type again if I can help it)

that said, I purchased some flexible hem tape, the kind that looks like lace....

What is the proper and/or easiet way to attack it to my skirt??  Is there a special stitch?

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
Re: hem tape
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 10:47:47 PM »
Passionfruit:

I use a catch stitch to hand-hem skirts and pants. There is also a blind hem stitch you can use. If I use hem tape or lace, I machine stitch to the raw edge, fold up the hem, pin, press, baste, then catch stitch the hem to the skirt or pants.

I never use my machine to make this kind of hem. It grabs too much fabric no matter how careful I am. It's not anywhere near "blind".

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »
PF:  I agree, don't ever buy that iron on hem tape again.  Despite the fact that sewing notions have come a long way in the past twenty years, that has not.  Nor has hem tape in general.  The iron on might make it in a pinch, but I wouldn't expect it to last more than a wearing or so.  If you're sure of the hem, and in a huge hurry, stitchwitchery or something similar would work, but you'll never get it loose if you change your mind.  Once you've done a quick hem stitch a few times, you'll find it just as fast.  As Betsy said, a catch stitch is much better than the blind stitch on a machine, which is never really blind and requires so much time pulling and ironing to get it flat, and get rid of the crease, that you can just whiz through a basic catch stitched hem in less time. 

If you want to use hem tape/lace as a finish, I would do this (MHO, of course):  pin up and press the hem.  Figure out how deep you want the hem turn-under, and cut it even (not sure that one's making sense.)  Lay the hem tape down right sides together with the hem edge, and stitch the edge (only through the hem facing fabric, not the outside/right side of the garment.)  Then, flip the hem tape back up, and press so the little seam goes down toward the garment.  Re-pin the hem in place and catch stitch.  Is this completely nonsensical?  I can draw and scan, but not now.  I'm sick and tired and in bed, but can do in am if you're totally confused.  Bottom line, some of those "time saving notions" aren't so time saving.   ;D  K

Offline the OTHER Mom to 5 aka Tee

• Mama's sewing log
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »
Thank you both....  the video helps a lot....   Im gonna practice Karen's way a few times today

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »
If you want to use hem tape/lace as a finish, I would do this (MHO, of course):  pin up and press the hem.  Figure out how deep you want the hem turn-under, and cut it even (not sure that one's making sense.)  Lay the hem tape down right sides together with the hem edge, and stitch the edge (only through the hem facing fabric, not the outside/right side of the garment.)  Then, flip the hem tape back up, and press so the little seam goes down toward the garment.  Re-pin the hem in place and catch stitch.

Hi Karen!

Just a quick question...why make a "right-sides-together" little seam that has to be pressed open? 

Couldn't you just lap the wrong side of the hem tape against the right side of the turn-under and stitch them together?  Then nothing to press.  Just go ahead and re-pin and catch stitch.

Just wondering... :)

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »
FWIW, Lisa, that's what I do, wrong side of the tape (if there is such a thing) to the right side of the fabric. Good point, no sense adding a bulky edge which will be obvous when pressed.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics