Author Topic: Shoe Remake  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Marybi

Shoe Remake
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
This is the third "fix" on these  $3 shoes. The first was a simple nail polish fill and buff on the damaged heels and a good general cleaning. The second was a nail polish touch up of nicked toes. The third, and I hope final, was the result of accidentally splashing nail polish remover on the toe of the non nicked shoe. I didn't have anything that looked good to cover it with so I painted lace with both copper and gold acrylic, used blue tape for sharp lines and glued the lace in place. Once it dried, I top coated it with a touch of copper to give the larger lace holes a more uniform look. When that was thoroughly dry, I gave the lace a protective clear nail polish coating.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:35:07 PM by Marybi »

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
Re: Shoe Remake
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
Great save!!

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »
Great idea, and they turned out so nice!

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:21:55 PM »
Great idea, they look good.

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:28 PM »
Wow!  Very attractive.

Yesterday I ran across this Etsy site, speaking of artsy shoes.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6217816
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline Marybi

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 02:06:40 AM »
The etsy shoe site is marvelous. I wish I could find out what kind of paint and finish they use.

Liana, I was delighted to get the Threads with your article. Such lovely shoes. Instead of a butter knife, I've found a stubby screwdriver gives good hand support. I'm pretty new to this shoe thing.

thanks everyone.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:17:32 AM »

Liana, I was delighted to get the Threads with your article. Such lovely shoes. Instead of a butter knife, I've found a stubby screwdriver gives good hand support. I'm pretty new to this shoe thing.

Thank you, Marybi!  A stubby screwdriver sounds perfect, as long as it isn't so sharp that you're likely to cut through your fabric by mistake.  I just use a butter knife because it's thin, yet dull.  I have also used an old-style table knife, without the serrated blade. 

Those are neat shoes on that site.  8) I wish they'd give you a little more info about what they're made of.  They look so shiny, I wonder if they're some kind of synthetic.  Maybe just patent leather, but they don't all look quite like that either. 

Offline tumblina

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Knits and Wovens
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »
Ohhh, pretty Marybi!!

Has anyone made shoes from scratch? I like my shoes flat, but pretty, and that's not something that goes together so often. There is a book out there on it, but self-published and I've not found a library that carries it, so I can't check it out first.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
I have that book that you're talking about I think.  It's Make Your Own Shoes by Mary Wales Loomis. It was self-published and used to be advertised in SewNews, etc. all the time.  Right after I bought it, she came out with a new edition that addrressed flats as well as heels, and that's what I had wanted, but I never bought the new one, and I never did try the heels either. 

It seems like it would work very well, but you start by making a plaster cast of your feet so that you have a last, and I just never did quite get to it.

Offline Marybi

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 05:07:34 AM »
 :D

http://okaypants.deviantart.com/art/Shoe-Painting-Tutorial-61986314

This is the first shoe painting tutorial I've found that I halfway understand and it has great pictures. Just click on the title to make the print large enough to read. I'm definitely going to try this once I've gathered enough information.

;D this one is also very cool.

http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/painting_shoes

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:53:18 AM by Marybi »

Offline xtiand

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »
Tumblina,
I make my own shoes, not exactly from scratch but from a kit , http://www.simpleway.co.uk/. It is a UK company but I think they will send worldwide. You get the leather already cut into shape and punched for sewing and the soles and inner soles and laces/buckles if they are needed for the shoes and thread of course. The styles are all based on the same fairly flat sole design and are very comfortable (I don't work for them I've just made and worn their shoes for the past 30 years ) They do both Mens and Ladies shoes, sandals and boots. The court shoes are a new style and look more dressy than the other moccasin styles. The same company also make ready made Vegan shoes under the band name FreeRangers. I have used the Simple way soles with my own fabric tops to make tapestry canvas boots and have also hand painted the leather tops and added appliques to them to make more individualised shoes. You can see a pair of boots and a rucksac I made last year here http://himmelbjerget147.blogspot.com/2008/01/almost-forgot.html
Xtian
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:51:17 AM by xtiand »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
Great save, Marybi!

Kathryn

Offline Marybi

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 01:21:05 AM »
http://grannysforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5952

Thanks Kathryn, This post on granny's forum gives a better color shot and also includes a process picture. On this same thread I've posted a shot of my "shoe hospital patients" in their restored state.

Tumblina, how did you ever get started on something as unusual as making shoes from scratch?

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 04:10:15 AM »
Xtiand,  Your boots and bag are beautiful!  I think I would enjoy making myself a pair of shoes.  I looked at the site you listed, and 3 pages had an error on them, but I did get to see the women's shoes and sandals.  The shoes would be wonderful for everyday and all day wear.

Offline xtiand

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »
There should be a new catalogue very soon, it usually comes out in September, so maybe they are working on some of pages. You could email them and ask for the new catalogue. Thank you for the compliments about my shoes and bag, I wore them a lot last autumn, if I never wear them again I'd have had my money's worth but I know I will be wearing them once the weather gets a bit cooler.

Offline xtiand

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »
Just to let you know, the new autumn styles are on the website now. There are some new styles and some new Autumnal colours.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics