• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 03, 2020, 04:09:42 pm

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Ignore feature - how to?

Started by Karen, July 13, 2017, 05:04:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Could someone please refresh my memory on how to ignore or block a poster, or where to find instructions? I don't seem to be able to find it searching. Thank you.
Karen

Meg

If I'm not incorrect,
(At the top) profile
Modify profile
Buddies/Ignore List

You ought to be able to add/subtract member's names to apply to each list.  Best, Met

Lisa

Quote from: Karen on July 13, 2017, 05:04:53 pm
Could someone please refresh my memory on how to ignore or block a poster, or where to find instructions? I don't seem to be able to find it searching. Thank you.

Hi Karen!

1.  Go to your Profile (at the top of the page in the row of links, "Home, Help, Search, Profile, etc."

2.  Then put your cursor on "Modify Profile" which will drop down a menu.  Scroll down to "Buddies/Ignore List" which will pop a sub menu.

3.  From the sub menu, click on "Edit Ignore List," which will take you to the page you need.

4.  Make sure you have the exact spelling, capitalization & spacing for the username of the person you want to ignore.  Then put that user name in the text box under "Add to Ignore List."  When you've confirmed you've correctly listed the person you want to ignore, click the "Add button."

5.  Once you've done that, you should see them in the table above the "Add to Ignore List" caption.  You can take them off your ignore list by clicking the red "x" at the right end of their line in the table.

HTH,

Lisa

Garden Girl

Lisa, it's the opposite of ignore, but what does putting someone on a buddy list do? I looked thought the SMF manual and didn't find an explanation.
Thanks.

Lisa

Quote from: Garden Girl on July 13, 2017, 09:45:22 pm
Lisa, it's the opposite of ignore, but what does putting someone on a buddy list do? I looked thought the SMF manual and didn't find an explanation.
Thanks.

As far as I know, not much.  The only thing I've been able to identify so far is that if you look at the bottom of the home page to see "Users Online," you'll see anyone on your "buddy list" in boldface.  So it's easier to see if your buddies are on line, especially if there are a lot of people on line.

Anyone else know of anything that putting someone on your buddies list does?

Lisa

Garden Girl

Pina

Quote from: Lisa on July 13, 2017, 09:56:50 pm
Quote from: Garden Girl on July 13, 2017, 09:45:22 pm
Thanks.

As far as I know, not much.  The only thing I've been able to identify so far is that if you look at the bottom of the home page to see "Users Online," you'll see anyone on your "buddy list" in boldface.  So it's easier to see if your buddies are on line, especially if there are a lot of people on line.

Anyone else know of anything that putting someone on your buddies list does?

Lisa

Lisa,on another forum one can see a "buddies" or "friends" list when one clicks on a member's name.  To me it's somewhat similar to a "like" list any other members can see.

Linda75142

Karen did you figure it out?  Took me a minute but I've just blocked my fourth person in two days. Whew!   :P

sdBev

July 14, 2017, 04:57:49 pm #8 Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:02:04 pm by sdBev
Quote from: Linda75142 on July 14, 2017, 01:24:11 pm... Took me a minute but I've just blocked my fourth person in two days. Whew!   :P
It amazing at how that feature makes this a nicer site to visit 8). I ve been reading about this idea spreading to other forums like FB.    Making a section for political topics was a step in the right direction, for me, I understand others feel differently.  I d like to be able to do the same thing with topics.  Have a little sign that says "you re ignoring this one".  But then Id like a thumbs up or like button.  Dont expect either, just glad for what DL could give me.

ejvc

Thanks!  I haven't been able to find this feature, and I appreciate it.  Would also like to "ignore" topics, like Bev (I mean, like Bev does. She isn't a topic, and I don't want to ignore her :-))
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc  and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.  Deleted my insta account - hate the way Facebook (who own Instagram) treats my personal info so not giving it any more.

Lisa

Quote from: sdBev on July 14, 2017, 04:57:49 pm
Quote from: Linda75142 on July 14, 2017, 01:24:11 pm... Took me a minute but I've just blocked my fourth person in two days. Whew!   :P
It amazing at how that feature makes this a nicer site to visit 8). I ve been reading about this idea spreading to other forums like FB.    Making a section for political topics was a step in the right direction, for me, I understand others feel differently.  I d like to be able to do the same thing with topics.  Have a little sign that says "you re ignoring this one".

Quote from: ejvc on July 15, 2017, 05:13:22 am
Thanks!  I haven't been able to find this feature, and I appreciate it.  Would also like to "ignore" topics, like Bev (I mean, like Bev does. She isn't a topic, and I don't want to ignore her :-))

There isn't an "ignore topic" feature, but you can mark topics "read" without opening them. 

if you read from:

1.  a board's index page, once you've read the topics you like, you can use the "mark read" to remove the "new" tag from all of the rest of the threads on the board, or

2.  an unread posts list or a new replies list, you can put check marks next to the threads you don't want to read and use the "mark selected read" (to remove the "new" tags even before you read the threads).

Not exactly what you're looking for, but HTH,

Lisa

GorgeousThings

Thanks for the how-to, Lisa. All done.

Lisa

You're all quite welcome!

Lisa

Bookish

Yes, many thanks!  I've tried it and found my blood pressure dropped considerably ;).  (I also like that if curiosity overcomes you, you can 'peek'  ;D).

SheriC

Quote from: Lisa on July 15, 2017, 08:10:26 am

There isn't an "ignore topic" feature, but you can mark topics "read" without opening them. 

This feature is the best!

I use it to weed posts that I'm not interested in out of my 'recent unread posts' list.  That way I can concentrate on the posts that I do want to read.  I don't think we had in the classic version of SG, but it really helps me get through all the unread posts faster.