Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

A big Thank-You to everyone who has ever contributed financially to our site! If you contributed in 2017, please send me a private message with your real name, so I can credit you with a subscription for 2018. :)

Author Topic: Stash Busting  (Read 9478 times)

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
Re: Stash Busting
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2018, 03:15:37 AM »

I'm not keeping very accurate track of things, but I managed to bring in only 2 yards of fabric since January 1, and have sewn up about 7 yards that I can account for right now.

I still have a few projects on the go, which should get me down about another 1.5 yards.
Wendy

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2018, 10:39:26 PM »

I have bought some remnants in a fabric store I found on holiday last week.
However I will get back to sewing stuff up and continue on my 100 metre target.
Not yet managed to organise the local fabric giveaway thing but will do so this summer hopefully.

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2018, 11:13:36 PM »

PR is having their Fabric Stash Contest 2018 for the month of June which I will be participating in. The stash reduction contests (whether pattern or fabric) are always my favorite.  I am stuck on 11 yards for this year ... not because I haven't sewn anything .... but because I haven't completed anything.

JuneBug

• Paid Member
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »

The last couple of weeks have seen almost 15 yards leave the house as prairie bonnets, aprons, and skirts for a handcart trek. 
A nice little thing happened at the sewing day.  A mother of one of the girls from a town 2 hours away noticed one of the fabrics I had brought and told us the story of her making a wedding quilt for her sister many years ago, but the quilt had somehow been lost. The piece had been sitting in my stash for at least 10+ years so I gave her the fabric (2.5 yard) and she is going to use it to make a new quilt for her sister.  I had skipped over that particular fabric initially but at the last moment put in in the tote.  I love how little things like this happen.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2018, 09:55:56 PM »

/snip/ The piece had been sitting in my stash for at least 10+ years so I gave her the fabric (2.5 yard) and she is going to use it to make a new quilt for her sister.  I had skipped over that particular fabric initially but at the last moment put in in the tote.  I love how little things like this happen.

Junebug, this is such a lovely story!

It's the end of May and I can't say that I have been very productive except in the "dieting" sense -  fabric and rtw. Bought no fabric nor RTW.  But didn't get much sewing done.  I did finish the weird material dress and am almost finished with a little batiste top that I am doing as a trial...decided that I am not going to make the good stuff in the pattern... in fact, decided the pattern itself is leaving the household.   Sadly, it's not looking promising for me to hit the 50 yards sewn mark this year.  I have sewn approximately 20.5 yards, but purchased 7 - so my pathetic total is just 13.5 yards down for the year.   I haven't even dented the stash and clearly not made enough room yet for new purchases. 

June promises to be more productive.

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2018, 02:31:44 AM »

Home dec sewing has got to be the most boring sewing ever! :P

Yep.

What's been kind of interesting to me lately is that by restricting my new purchases and focusing on what I already have, I seem to be more creative.  If that makes sense. 

It makes perfect sense, CCL! That's how I'm approaching the projects I've been working on. When I do buy fabric here lately, I use it rather than store it. I mostly pull from the emporium (stash), and every time I do, I'm grateful that I have it.

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2018, 04:01:06 AM »

Sigh, I just got my home dec sewing started.  And I can't even call this stash busting as the fabric was purchased solely with these curtains in mind.  The one bright spot is I now have a very nice layout table.  No longer must I suffer on the floor.  We went to Lowe's and purchased two unbored 30" hollow core doors and some mending plates.  Of course, being the good German that he is, DH had to bring out the clamps, go back to the house (we were at our building site) for the "right screws", find his centering bit, pull out the level and get those two doors within a gnat's ass of evenness.  The mulled together doors (60" by 80") are sitting on my brother's metal sawhorses at about 42" high.  It is quite a relief for the back to lay out a curtain full length and work on it at a comfortable height. 

Four curtain panels are on the counter pressed and ready for the needle; hems are pinned in; and two lining panels are hanging over the ladder.  Tomorrow I will haul a sewing machine over there and start my stitching.  DH built and installed the window boxes holding the curtain rods.  We painted them yesterday and finished the last one, the big dining room window today.  By the end of the day tomorrow, I hope to have the living room and foyer curtains done and hung up.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »

well done on the home dec sewing Theresa, I do find the sheer volume extremely difficult so mostly just buy ready made and shorten to fit the windows.

I have made a knit top, using another 1.5 metres of fabric.
However I bought some more fabric on holiday (remnants).
So I reckon I am now on 42 metres bought and 66.5 metres sewn which isn't great.

I reckon I need another whole swap to get back to a 2:1 ratio (ie sewing twice as much as I have bought)

Trying to sew 100 metres during the year if possible and not buy any more fabric is the aim......

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2018, 01:01:54 AM »

Ruthie, if I could count curtain fabric I would as that definitely uses up a lot but this batch was added to the stash, not subtracted from.  I'd settle for fifty yards for the year and right now may be lucky to use up 25 but hey, it's progress.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »

Ruthie, if I could count curtain fabric I would as that definitely uses up a lot but this batch was added to the stash, not subtracted from.  I'd settle for fifty yards for the year and right now may be lucky to use up 25 but hey, it's progress.

Ditto here, Theresa -  I think what's really motivating me is the need to clear space so I can go buy more!

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2018, 04:35:11 PM »

CCL, I'm in that boat too.  There's lots of fabric I want but since I have so much already I'm not buying more until I have made a good sized dent in the stash.

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »

Of course, being the good German that he is, DH had to bring out the clamps, go back to the house (we were at our building site) for the "right screws", find his centering bit, pull out the level and get those two doors within a gnat's ass of evenness. 

LOL! My (german) dad used to say that the only way to do a job was to do it right!

I've tallied up what I've sewn since January 1: 19 yards!  I'm very surprised. I've added somewhere around 7 back in, but used most of one purchase already for SWAP. I just bought some lovely double gauze yesterday to sew up a dress, so that should get sewn up, along with some stash fabric, by the end of the month.
Wendy

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »

I calculated how many yards went into my curtains and came up with a whopping 90 yards.  I cut 2 1/2 yards of curtain fabric per panel plus 2 yards of lining per panel.  Each large window got two pleated panels and each narrow window got one.  I had a total of sixteen windows but not all windows got pleated panels.  The two garage windows got a straight panel of doubled up muslin stretched between compression rods and each glass door (three of them) got a straight panel attached to the metal door with magnets.  Scraps left over from the door panel to the little house got sewn together to make a panel for the 2x2 window in the laundry. 

Every bit of muslin in the stash that was long enough went into curtains so during the JoAnn's sale yesterday, I bought another bolt of their premium muslin.  The curtain factory is now closed and I can go back to sewing clothing. :run:

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »

No sewing going on but I realized I did not enter my stash busting yardage from this past winter. I used about 23 yds and that is a conservative number as I did not keep track of everything I made. Hopefully I will get better at it. 🤗

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2018, 12:30:32 AM »

I'm up to 23 yards sewn as well, and working on 2 projects that will use up at least 5 more.

I'm using Sewjourners stash shrinker spreadsheet, that I think is linked above in this thread? But I'll link it again: https://sewjourners.net/2018/01/02/stash-shrinker/

I set it up so I have to sew 4 yards for every yard I can buy. I'm currently in sew-your-stash mode!
Wendy

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2018, 01:43:27 AM »

Wendy, thanks for the link. I am on my IPad now, but will download it tomorrow on my Mac.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2018, 06:01:17 AM »

I am also using the Sewjourners stash shrinker spreadsheet, https://sewjourners.net/2018/01/02/stash-shrinker/
I have mine set at 2 to 1, though I am NOT including the 4 bags of fabric I have ready to give away.
I have sewn 73.5m and bought 42 m so far (I back dated to 30 Dec when I bought lots of fabric) so not achieving that parity yet.
I am going to do a blog post when I get to 100 m sewn.

I am really enjoying this way of doing it as there is no need for historical inventory, which I will never do.
But it has helped me buy a bit less and use a bit more, and be happy to release some stuff I'm not going to use to others.

I replaced my bulging open shelving with a smaller large cupboard, sorted all the fabirc and put most of it away.
It was fairly easy to see which bits should not get to go in the new cupbaord. It has worked out well for me, so I am pleased with it.

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2018, 11:17:47 AM »

Wendy, thanks for the link. I am on my IPad now, but will download it tomorrow on my Mac.

Debbie, I have both Excel and Numbers apps on my iPad and use them both frequently.  I was able to open the stash busting spreadsheet on my iPad which will make it much more valuable for me, my stash being no where near my computer.

Towanda

• Paid Member
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2018, 01:49:33 PM »

I'm up to 23 yards sewn as well, and working on 2 projects that will use up at least 5 more.

I'm using Sewjourners stash shrinker spreadsheet, that I think is linked above in this thread? But I'll link it again: https://sewjourners.net/2018/01/02/stash-shrinker/

I set it up so I have to sew 4 yards for every yard I can buy. I'm currently in sew-your-stash mode!

I downloaded the spreadsheet and promptly forget about it. Thanks for the reminder. I'll start using it with the next piece of fabric that I pull out from the stash. I have roughly used about 80 yards since December. I haven't totaled up what I bought this year. Maybe I subconsciously don't want to know, lol. Most of the garments that I've made have come from stash fabrics. Right now, I'm working on a piece of fabric that I bought at Paron's going out of business sale. I picked it up from a table and paid about 10 bucks.

I have two goals. The biggest goal is to make a dent in the stash. The second goal is to avoid returning any fabric to the stash. I'm trying to make as many garments as possible from each piece of fabric. Scraps are beind donated to our ASG group. I keep a Ziploc big bag under the cutting table. It makes it easy to drop the scraps in the bag.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »

/snip/
I have two goals. The biggest goal is to make a dent in the stash. The second goal is to avoid returning any fabric to the stash. I'm trying to make as many garments as possible from each piece of fabric.

That second goal is great! -- I am stealing it.  Part of the reason I have so much fabric is that pile of unused fabric left over from making something else.  Thanks, Towanda, I am adding that to my own stash busting efforts.   I finished up a pair of shorts - and the last of the white denim I bought from Sawyer Brook ages ago.  Feeling pretty positive about that.  It's not a huge "yardage" dent, but it does eliminate that fabric from my pile.  I have on the cutting table another 3 plus yards... I am about finished cutting out the Folkwear Chupa, but inspired by you, I am going to see what else I can make out of the remainders - and do it now, rather than putting that fabric back.

Thanks too, Warpjr1965 and Ruthie for the reminder about the spreadsheet.  I just downloaded it and started entering the fabric I have on hand.  Le Sigh.  On the bright side, I have managed to resist buying any new fabric pretty much since January (with the exception of linings and stuff). 

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »

I fell off the wagon, again, this past week.  Stopped into JoAnn's looking for a spring time wreath and walked out with 100% indigo jeans cotton, some tropical print shirting fabric, some yummy quilting cotton from the "dot" sale bin and some silky polyester that has been calling out to me "forever" to be made up into a J.G. Hook pattern.  The quilting cotton went under the needle immediately and became a set of pillowcases.  The tropical shirting has been washed and dried and is awaiting its turn in the queue when it will become "his" and "hers" Hawaiian shirts.  The jeans cotton is going into deep stash to await the wearing out of my two remaining pair of Wranglers, and I'm going to leave the silky out in plain view to keep reminding me that since I answered the call when the fabric "spoke", it needs to be used.

I've got a yard plus of some blue and white home dec fabric from the last splurge waiting on the ironing board ready to get pressed.  I will be making a Butterick vest (B6328).  The pattern has a double front which acts as a front facing/lining but I'm changing things up and making a full edge to edge lining so I can skip the bias tape armholes.  The lining is substantial off-white jacquard cotton left over from the curtain project. An old Travelsmith vest is giving me an idea on how to proceed.  The Butterick pattern does not have a zip, which I am adding, and the pockets are in the side seam which I find awkward so I will be copying the inside pockets from the Travelsmith vest, sort of like Safe-T pockets.  Now to find some zippers and get started.

We get our final inspection on the guest house tomorrow which frees up quite a bit of time.  Monsoon finally hit yesterday after 106 days w/o rain and i'm looking forward to quality time in the sewing room.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »

I use the spreadsheet all the time and love it. I didn't inventory my fabric so use it as a running tally of how much I am sewing and how little I have bought. I will probably be 4 meters short of 25 meters by the end of June. Doll clothes use such a piddly amount of fabric.

Towanda, your second goal is mine also. I am trying to sew up each piece I haul out. It is hard to do when you are part of a sew along but that ends on Thursday and I can go back to that goal. When I cut out DH's shirt, there was enough left over to make a doll's dress and there is still enough to do one more doll's dress. I enjoy not putting the left over fabric back on the shelf or into the doll's fabric tubs.

Another thing I am trying to do is not buy notions until I am sewing the project. My ideas change and I get this stash of ribbon, lace and buttons that gets carried forward all the time. I am poking through the notions to use them up. Thread is another item that I am being careful not to buy too much of. I am working my way through it. I do use up the ends of spools for hand basting and smile when I throw an empty spool away. It was so easy to collet that kind of stuff when working in the fabric store.

Ann

Ann

Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »

vtmartha, Thank you!! I completely overlooked both the numbers and excel on my IPad.  Just downloaded the link to my IPad and it will definitely be more accessible.
  Thanks again 🤗🤗

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »

First of all, I am pretty impressed by all the drapes and curtain making going on.  That kind of sewing takes discipline.

Theresa, your story about "Falling off the Wagon in Joann's" was helpful to strengthen my resolve.  I read it before my last visit there to pick up buttons and I was able to get out alive with just the buttons and nothing more.  This act was more successful than usual as they had some really cute fabrics, but I was able to resist  :))  Of course, it helps that I just don't have room for any more right now.

I seem to be really slow on everything lately.  I did manage to sew up the shorts - another yard gone and I am almost finished with the Chupa - so that's 2.5 yards for the month of June, not very dramatic, especially with you drape sewers knocking off 50 yards... I am filled with envy (except I wouldn't want to sew drapes!)   (I am also almost through another month with no fabric purchases - also no new RTW purchases.)  Towanda,  thanks for the idea about not putting fabric back.  I am comtemplating what I can make out of the remainder (about 1 1/3 yard) of the green and navy striped fabric - I am thinking shorts and a sleeveless shirt.

Ann, I probably should not have inventoried my fabric.  It left me in a state of shock.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »

Successfully followed the now named (to me) Towanda Guideline - managed to get the shorts cut out of the same green and navy stripped oxford cloth and there's nothing left but scraps!  Yay, don't have to put any yardage back in the pile.   Haven't sewn the shorts up yet, but when I do, that will be one 3 1/3 yd fabric piece cut, sewn and done equalling dress, shirt and shorts.

ETA to fix typos.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:45:55 PM by CCL »

Towanda

• Paid Member
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:17 AM »

Successfully followed the now named (to me) Towanda Guideline - managed to get the shorts cut out of the same green and navy stripped oxford cloth and there's nothing left but scrapes!  Yay, don't have to put any yardage back in the pile.   Haven't sewn the shorts up yet, but when I do, that will be one 3 1/3 yd fabric piece cut, sewn and done equalling dress, shirt and shorts.

CCL, I'm honored. I'm happy that this is working for you. I love the challenge of figuring out if I can use a piece of leftover fabric and avoid returning anything to the stash. I would see some holes in the stash if I stopped buying fabric.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »

CCL  :applause2: for using up one piece of fabric to only scraps.

I am continuing on with sewing up the left over shirting fabric. I have made 2 dresses and a hat for the dolls and have enough left for one or two doll sized hobo bags.

I am testing a new doll's pattern and used a piece of the Nova Scotia plaid (miniature) I bought a couple of months ago. The rest will be made into skirts for the Gotz dolls. I think there is enough for 2 skirts. If not, one skirt and a top to match. I also bought white broadcloth but am happy to have it in the doll's stash. I really need it as I ran out of white fabric for them. There is also a piece of royal blue cotton velveteen for the test piece and the rest will become a jacket for one of the dolls. I know I will use up all the fabric from the test garments.

I have traced out a t-shirt pattern and got the knit laundered. I will be putting a piece of it back on the shelf to make DGS a t-shirt for Christmas. The scraps will become t-shirts for the dolls.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »

I made some very simple lace sheers for the main bedroom using 4.5 m of gorgeous cream lace in a leaf design.
I already have a leaf motif mirror and cupboard handles so it works well without being too much.
I am pleased with them as they are pretty and will give some privacy when the heavy blackout curtains are open.

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »

Just acquired something new to sew.  DH, DS and I were in the latest rental house to turn over doing touch up and I was taking cushion covers off of the window seat cushions.  One of the covers was dog-eared and torn.  Time to wander through the stash and find some suitable fabric to replace the cover.  I did just buy five yards of dark blue denim.  That might work and I just may recover all three cushions and this time serge the seams as I now have a serger.  The original covers date from 2004 so fourteen years is pretty good.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #134 on: Today at 01:31:24 PM »

Towanda, after trying it this month, I really like your guideline for sewing down stash.  It worked wonders with the green, navy and white striped shirting.  I used it all up in the dress, shorts and shirt - so another 3.5 yards added to the 1 yard for shorts sewn earlier and I am down 4.5 yards in July.

In terms of tallying up totals for this year, I think I have sewn up about 25 yards, bought 7, so my net is 18 yards down.  Getting close to a point where I can allow myself to buy some more (checked out my stash boxes and they are no longer overflowing!) I still have a bunch of fabric on hangers and on bolts, so I still have more work to do, but I definitely feeling as if I am making progress toward the ultimate reward:  BUYING MORE FABRIC!

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: Today at 04:22:44 PM »

I love your circuitous logic, CCL. It echoes mine. I just ordered 5 yards of silk plus 6 yards of trim, none of which I needed, but wanted. My stash will never be sewed down. But I am working on giving away another big batch. ::)

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here