Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Feeling a little lost here on the "Reloaded" board?  All the old threads are still available on SG Classic, including the ever popular "Forum Decorum" thread; a huge variety of mini tutorials and how-tos for making SG's format work for you.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg_classic/index.php/topic,124.0.html

Author Topic: Stash Busting  (Read 6284 times)

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
Re: Stash Busting
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »

I've been sewing from stash and didn't go to the fabric shop when I had opportunity recently.
I might buy a few pieces on holiday in May but it's limited to an extent by suitcase space.
I will have a look at my stash spreadsheet but I am sure I was at over 30 metres sewn.
It's hardly made a dent. Ummmm.

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »

I can identify with that Ruthie, thirty meters and hardly making a dent.

Popped into JoAnn's today to pick up a new seam ripper and a new cardboard cutting mat and deliberately did not look at anything else ;D.  There's two pair of jeans cut out and ready to go under the needle bringing my tally up to a whopping ten yards for the year to date, and that's counting a muslin that was tossed.  I have a long way to go but it's one yard at a time.  Now to ignore the siren call of Fabric Mart! 

Towanda

• Paid Member
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2018, 11:59:28 PM »

Now to ignore the siren call of Fabric Mart!

The siren called and I answered.  I had a bunch of fabric in the cart and one by one, I deleted them. I only bought the black wool blend crepe fabric to make pants and skirts. I wear a lot of knits and it was hard not to buy any today, lol. Someone coined the phrase "mindful acquisition" and that has become my goal. At the same time, I'm trying to focus on shopping the stash. I sewed up 20 yards in January and ten yards so far in February. Shopping the stash has been a lot of fun. As I looked over the stash, I came up with a lot of ideas that I want to sew.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »

I've been using the Stash Shrinker spreadsheet which I back dated to 23rd December (the start of my current clothes sewing stretch). Since then I have sewn up 35.5 metres (but purchased 22). I'm finding it very helpful.

I'm trying to just sew from stash and then buy a small amount of fabric on holiday in May, when we go back to Madeira.
It would be good to have sewn up a few more of the pieces I bought on previous trips
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/feira-dos-tecidos-funchal-madeira.html
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/february-fantastic-fabric.html

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »

I've sewn 9.3 meters so far this year. I am working on doll's slacks which are almost done and .25 meter. I was sewing away and did the back seam and then realized I hadn't put in the elastic. I will open up a piece of the waistband and insert it. I just have the hems and inseam to do and it is done. Then a pair of the second doll. After that I will think of the next projects and finish a couple of UFO's.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »

I've fallen off the "no more fabric" wagon but in my defense, the fabric purchased was curtain material for the new house.  I had stopped in at one of our local fabric stores, Fabrics That Go, last week to look around and spotted some fabric that would go nicely in one of the bedrooms.  I went back today and bought the bolt and as I was walking out with my purchase almost stumbled over the rolling rack of clearance rolls, with a "Buy the Roll for X" sign on the rack.  I walked back in, put my bag and my purchase down on a chair and told the gal I was going to rummage through the rack.  I pulled out four rolls that would work and bought them.  Added to the original purchase, the yardage gets me about 7/8th of the way to what I need for curtains.  Now I will need to scour the stash for suitable lining material before I buy lining fabric.  They have lining fabric at a decent price, $4.95 and 54" wide, just about perfect for what I need.

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »

I have sewn 45 metres since 23/12/2017 which I think is pretty good going.
I was trying to make it to 50m by the end of February but stalled a bit.
Can't see me making another 5 metres in 2 days.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2018, 11:52:19 PM »

I have my fingers crossed that I can make it to the end of February without having purchased any RTW or fabric.  I do have some swatches in the mail - haven't arrived yet - for lining fabric, so if I purchase any, March will be a bust in terms of adding to the stash.

I have sewed up another yard of 120 inch muslin for my friend's shirt and 3/4 yard of a yucky poly that's been hiding in the stash for years as a trial of a pattern. -- So two more garments sewn (and roughly two more yards down).  Not making much progress as I keep second-guessing myself into corners.

my running total is five and a half yards down.

Now my running total is roughly 7 yards down total  (More (10) were actually sewn or donated (but alas more (roughly 3 yards) came in during 2018). 

Edited to add calculations of totals.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:01:11 AM by CCL »

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2018, 12:58:05 AM »

Ruthie, you're doing great to get 45 meters out of the stash.  I'm hoping to get to 50 yards (not counting the curtain fabric) by the end of Jun but not holding my breath.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »

Ruthie, you are doing awesome. I may have just over 11 meters sewn by the end of February. Lots of doll clothes = a tiny bit of fabric cut. That is how life goes in the doll world. I do have to make DGS a tie fleece blanket in March and that will use up 3 meters of fabric. Then it will have to be one large and three small projects.

In knitting, I have knit almost 450 grams of wool this year. I am enjoying using up the stash of wool as I have way too much. I do buy some yarn for projects that I want to make but mostly am focusing on the stash.

Ann

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »

I'm now over 50 metres, so I did a little composite.

I have sewn 28 items and sewn up an amazing 52 metres of fabric which I am really happy about.
This was done btween 23rd December 2017 and 16th March 2018.

Not everything worked wonderfully, some things haven't been worn yet, others were too tight or shrank in the wash but most of the items worked out pretty well and I'm pleased with them.   

Here are 27 of the items (the 28th is not pictured, but was a test of a coat pattern which I've not yet made up in the final fabric).
As you can see I've really upped the brown section of my wardrobe which was lacking rather and is one of my two key neutrals (the other being navy).

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »

Good sewing Ruthie. 53 meters is a lot of fabric to have gone out of the stash.

I have sewn 15.1 meters so far this year. I did a fleece tie blanket for DGS for Easter. It was the biggest piece of fabric used so far. Next on the table is tops and capri length leggings for the dolls. April is bigger projects along with finishing the dolls 6 PAC. I hope to sew up 5 to 6 meters in April.

Ann

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »

Ruthie, that is amazing! You have recently sewn more clothing that fits you than I own. I wish I had that much to choose from. (Of course if I'd get off my duff and get to work.....)

Ann, great job too! You always seem so well disciplined with what you are creating. The plans are always in your mind and you keep rolling along on them

I am sitting at one yard. Yup. End of February I finally found time to sew up the simple pillowcase that's been sitting on the sewing machine since mid December. Then I laundered it and packed it away with the rest of the Christmas bedding.  :eyelashes:

I may have an opportunity to give some to friends this next week. I just glanced up at the calendar and my machine embroidery group meets Tuesday and some Quilting friends on Saturday I think. The ME people includes many garment sewists so I can take patterns and blended/non cotton fabrics to them. Just need to motivate to get some sorted out of the heard.

Mfedna

• Paid Member
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »

Ruthie! I am amazed by your productivity! Well done!

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »

Agree with you, Mfedna, Ruthie's production methods and output are amazing.  So far my biggest March success is to avoid the siren call of Fabric Mart - no new fabric in.  I also have sewn up a boatnecktee shirt, a couple of big remnants into a lined skirt I hope to finish this weekend and a wearable muslin of the skirt pattern - so approximately 4 more yards added to my total sewn.   So 14 yards sewn up.  That 14  minus the 3 purchased, means I am down 11 yards so far this year. 

Edited to add, I forgot the four yards of lining material I bought...drat.  I guess I am still at 7 yards down. (14 minus 7)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:14:48 PM by CCL »

Towanda

• Paid Member
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:54 PM »

Ruthie is one of the people inspiring me to sew more. I have been loosely tallying up what I've sewn since the beginning of the year. I'm guessing that I have used approximately 33 yards of fabric including muslins. Fortunately or unfortunately, I haven't stopped buying fabric. I have given up the ghost of resisting FM's siren calls. I just ordered some fabric to make garments to wear on a cruise at the end of April. I re-ordered a piece of black floral from Fabric.com and added a coordinating red fabric. Both of the fabrics are for the swap and LC's new pattern. The good thing is that I have plans for all of the new purchases. I'm trying to make sure that I am sewing up a combination of stash fabrics and new purchases. Now I'm off to work on a group of red garments.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »

I have sewn 15.9 meters of fabric this year and bought only 2.5 meters. I have been happily sewing from the stash and have ideas galore in my head.

With March coming to a close, I have April's project mulling in my head. A shirt for DH (3 meters), finish up the spring doll clothes (1.5 or more meters) and a t-shirt for me (1.5 meters).

Ann

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »

I've just moved all my fabric off the sewing room shelves so they can be replaced with a proper cupboard with doors.
There's a lot. It took a whole evening to move it.
I could sew at that rate the whole time and still have lots left.
I am going to donate some yardage and scraps plus make verious projects with it.

Its only fabric, get it out and sew it.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »

I agree with you Ruthie. Having the stash on open shelves has helped me start sewing mine down. It is a constant reminder of what I have and that I don't need to buy fabric. I have enjoyed sewing from the stash this winter and will continue enjoy sewing from it. What came across Canada gives me joy as I only kept what I loved.

Ann

purplefibermom

• Paid Member
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »

Its only fabric, get it out and sew it.

Words to live by indeed! I think I'll be turning that into a mini poster for my sewing room -

right after I sew something today ;)

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »

I have pulled out 2 meters of fabric for the dolls, 3 meters for a shirt for DH, and 2 meters of flannel for pj pants for DGS. I still have to make myself a t-shirt also. April's sewing is now ready to commence and it's all from the stash.

Ann

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2018, 06:54:40 PM »

Managed to avoid buying any fabric in April (but of course, there's still one day left!  ::) )

Sewed up roughly another 2 and 1/2 yards (two pairs of trousers).  And just finished cutting out a trial of a new sheath pattern. So another yard and a third there. Sewed an old sheet "muslin" - but I don't think that counts, but I am happy to claim roughly 4 more yards consumed.   

So I am claiming 18 yards used up so far this year - with the 7 yards purchased - 3 wool crepe - 4 lining fabric); I am down a total of 11 yards.

I think after a couple more months of this fabric fast, I will feel less overwhelmed. 

Edited to add:  Love Ruthie's "It's only fabric, get it out and sew it."  Been saying it to myself a bit lately.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:50:29 AM by CCL »

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2018, 08:57:45 PM »

I gave some fabric away this week, a local lady who came to the house to get it.
I didn't measure it so won't count it in my yardages sewn.

I made a scarf too but there's a lot left so not sure that counts.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »

Measure what the scarf took and count it, Ruthie. If I get myself into gear I should have the last of the doll's outfits done by the end of the week. Depends on how I feel.

Ann

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2018, 11:24:09 PM »

I haven't made much progress at whittling down the stash, but I am pretty excited that I figured out a plan for a very old piece - given to me by my sister-in-law brought back either from the Phillipines or Hawaii -- can't remember.  It's a poly / cotton mix (in the fabric is a watermark - 35% cotton, really weird).  It was sewn into a tube with a very dicey flat felled seam.  There was just enough to cut out a shift dress with short sleeves.   Not colors I would ever choose for myself, but I am kind of chuffed to be able to finally do something with it.  Should be an easy sew.

Also, so far in May, I have managed to avoid pulling the trigger on purchasing fabric.   Small successes.

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 03:28:10 AM »

CCL, you are doing better than me.  I bought 8 yards in May.  I did sew up two yards of the recent purchase and just finished a Simplicity shirt with another 2 1/2 yards of fabric purchased last year.  I'm trying to do stash busting on patterns as well but it is so easy to reach for a TNT, press, cut and sew.  My goal for the summer is to try out several new patterns and work on the stash.

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »

I finally got back to sewing this week. I am working on the doll's shirt and got the lace on under the yoke (western design). I bought the wrong lace and it kept falling off. After three attempts I finally got it to stay. I did the back and one front yoke in 2 hours.

I have not bought any fabric to date this month. I may have to get some ribbon and lace for doll's dresses. I will have lots of fabric left over from DH's shirt so will try out an idea or two with the left over fabric. I am hoping for two ideas.

After that fabric is used up, I will have to sew DGS's pj bottoms. I also want to do some Christmas fabric sewing along with the doll clothes and what ever else I can find in the stash.

Ann

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »

I am not dedicated to stash busting like most of contributors to the thread, but I did find myself putting older fabrics in the GoodWill box because  I wont use them even for muslins. It made my shelves neater.
sdBev

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2018, 08:13:35 AM »

Sounds like a sensible thing to do Bev.

I've not made much progress on sewing or giving away fabric recently but hopefully these things come in waves.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »

I've not made much progress on sewing or giving away fabric recently but hopefully these things come in waves.
That sounds reasonable.  Ive also found that I complete a deep cleaning thinking I have given away everything that is no longer useful. Then several weeks, months later, I will find something and be asking myself “Why am I hanging onto this?  Its like the items(s)was/were invisible and later I see it.
sdBev

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »

CCL, you are doing better than me.  I bought 8 yards in May./snip/

Oh, I have been sorely tempted, Theresa!  I tend to peruse my favorite fabric sites as a "break" from work or chores.  Of course, I always spot something I just must have.  Been trying to break that habit.

What's been kind of interesting to me lately is that by restricting my new purchases and focusing on what I already have, I seem to be more creative.  If that makes sense.  I am having fun with the current project, one that I would never had started if I were not trying to sew up fabric.  Just thought it was an interesting and unexpected development.

Right now I have four bins of fabric.  Two are of fashion fabric, one of lining materials and one of interfacing, shoulder pads etc.  I ran out of room and have several other pieces on hangers or on bolts.   So I am subconsciously trying to sew up stash (or donate) until I have room to buy more. :eyelashes:

Ann oh my goodness, the teeny tiny top stitching on those princess seams is perfect!  How ever do you such great work at such a small scale?

Ruthie and Bev I do that a lot, with probably most things.  It takes me several passes... the first pass is usually just to clear out the deadwood, a second pass gets the low hanging fruit, to use the businessese cliche.  Then I can actually begin making deep cuts, and finally, start making little clips here and there as I see things out of place or too much growth in one area as opposed to another.  <-  Well, there's an analogy that just got out of hand.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:10:32 PM by CCL »

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »

... I do that a lot, with probably most things.  It takes me several passes... the first pass is usually just to clear out the deadwood, a second pass gets the low hanging fruit, to use the businessese cliche.  Then I can actually begin making deep cuts, and finally, start making little clips here and there as I see things out of place or too much growth in one area as opposed to another. ....
Exactly!
sdBev

Ann

• Paid Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2018, 08:59:42 PM »

Sewing tiny is time consuming. I finished the top and just need to photograph it on the doll. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

I will be happy to start sewing adult size clothing. DH's shirt is ready to go. In between stitches I have an Edwardian dress to cut out and sew by next Thursday.

I am a stash buster. I want to sew up all the fabric I have and love so I can buy new fabric. I made a promise I would sew it up before I bought more. I have been pretty good about that though I am slower about sewing up items as I am outside a lot right now. The weather has been so nice and I'll want to be inside when it gets hot and humid. Enjoying outside right now.

CCL

• Paid Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:37 PM »

Here's a photo of the watermark on the mystery fabric - it says something Polyester 65%  Cotton 35%  resin finish.  The little figure on the left is a guy in a parachute.  The material is supposedly either from the Phillipines or from Hawaii  many years ago.   Weird stuff, but sewing it up means another yard gone!

Mystery fabric watermark by CCL photos, on Flickr

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »

Today we set posts for the front porch and then came home early.  The guys wanted burgers for lunch so they took a run into Whataburger for take out.  I pulled the curtain fabric for the windows out of the stash and began laying it out on the table and cutting it to length.  A trip through the serger to overlock the edges and then into the washer and dryer. 

So far the fabric for the master bedroom has been washed and dried.  It's cotton or cotton/poly and has some kind of finish on it - no shrinking, and still crisp with little to no wrinkling.  Going through the dryer right now is the fabric for the living room/dining room.  Also cotton but has some kind of preservative (anti-flame? anti-wrinkle?) so depending on how it comes out of the dryer, may take another round through the wash/dry cycle  Got another load in the washer with the fabric for the front bedroom and another load waiting.  I got tired of unrolling, cutting and serging so I'm taking a computer break.  Home dec sewing has got to be the most boring sewing ever! :P

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here