• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
August 25, 2019, 10:38:07 am

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Photos

Started by Judith, July 10, 2017, 03:10:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judith

I'm sure this has been answered, and I'm probably just not using the right words to search.  I'd like to post a photo to the quilts in the making thread. I don't use a photo hosting site like Flickr so it wpukd be from my iPad or computer.

Can we do that?  If yes, are there strong by step instructions here somewhere? I found the gallery button, but not sure what to do next.

Thank you in advance

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

DragonLady

You have a private gallery for uploading images to.  Just hit the "gallery" link, and "add picture".  I think you have to create a subcategory first, but I'm not certain of that.  But once you're there, it should be pretty easy to follow the various steps.
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

vtmartha

DL, I didn't find it that easy.  As a matter of fact, I totally failed.  I see a few others have uploaded photos but I couldn't figure it out.  The categories it offered weren't relevant for me so I created a new one.  I selected the category I'd created and all went fine but at the end, it said I still needed to select a category and the options did not include mine.  I think they were all SWAP related.  It did let me choose photos from iPad my photo library. 

If I were ever able to save a photo to my gallery, can I somehow link to the gallery when adding a photo to a post?  That would be the only reason I could see for my using it.  Much easier than having to work through a photo hosting site.

mudcat

July 12, 2017, 06:47:31 pm #3 Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:49:15 pm by mudcat
You can do that vtmartha.  Once you have uploaded a photo, right click on it and "copy image location" and paste to a browser window.  You should see your picture.   Then click on the Insert Image button (right below the bold button) and paste your link between the two tags.  I have to do this all the time with pbase because the photos are within galleries.

This is from DragonLady's gallery (since I don't have anything yet)

DragonLady

You'll have to make a new category, then choose that category from the drop down list when you put up the photo.  I know it's a bit clunky, and not the most efficient method.  But it does work for now; it just takes a bit of work to become familiar with how it works.

QuoteIf I were ever able to save a photo to my gallery, can I somehow link to the gallery when adding a photo to a post?

Yes; it adds the photo to a separate folder outside the web space, because for some reason isn't recognizing images that are in their proper places, but is finding those that are linked in from outside sources.

Once you have it uploaded, you can grab the image location, and then use the "insert image" script to display it in your post.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

vtmartha

July 12, 2017, 07:12:44 pm #5 Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:19:18 pm by vtmartha
I went back and tried again and ....  it worked!  The first time through, I kept getting messages that I'd forgotten to supply some data.  Somehow, I must have made my way out of the user's galleries because this time my original category existed and I was able to use it.

ETA - Aha, a few times through and I was able to bring up the photo.  Sorry it's so big but is odnt know how to change that.  This skirt caught my eye today in an article on what to wear with white tee shirts.

DragonLady

The size is fine.  I think the board automatically resizes images now to avoid WASS, but am not certain.

Anna_Wales_UK

I tried earlier today to upload photos of the dress I had a problem with.
I tried the following:
1. using button and copy /paste image (hosted in public web site) url. They were accessible for a moment then disappeared.
2. The same but with links shortened by tinyURL -did not show at all;
3. direct links to flickr album (not individual photos) -this seemed to work.
I also tried to use gallery -but could not find an option to create a new group/cathegory (and my photos did not seem to fit into the existing groups).
I might have missed the obvious, but I simply could not make it work.
I would appreciate some help -only when you have any free time. The work-around solution seems to function well.
Anna
Wales UK

Lisa

Anna, I'm on my phone right now--not even a tablet, so I would have trouble working through photo posting with you and what happened with the photos you tried to display.  (I have some ideas about what went wrong, but can't review the code, etc on my phone.)  But since you're using Flickr, go to the Sandbox (a thread in the board at the bottom of the home page and search for posts from either me or fzxdoc.  We've both given instructions for how display photos from Flickr in posts there.

Take a look and then give it a try in the Sandbox.  I'll be back on a computer a little later, so I can take a look at how you got along.  And if you need it I can be more help then... ;)  ;D

See you soon,

Lisa

bessiecrocker

Anna is ok at the moment. she posted her flickr link and it's easy to see her pix just by clicking into her camera roll. I think I might be able to copy and move them over here if it gets to that...due to your great coaching for me in the sandbox.

Judith

Thank you for the help. I'll head to the sandbox as soon as life settles down a bit. And this time I'll remember how to find the help????

Thanks again., Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln