Author Topic: Fabric choice for wrinkle resistant circle skirts  (Read 7082 times)

Offline Artemisia Moltabocca

• costumingdiary.blogspot.com
    • Diary of a Renaissance Seamstress
Fabric choice for wrinkle resistant circle skirts
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »
What type of fabric would be good to create a wrinkle-free floor length circle skirt?
I've tried cotton/poly blend but the result looks too cheap.
I need a heavier weight solution that is resistant to wrinkles.

Danke.
Diary of a Renaissance Seamstress
You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: Fabric choice for wrinkle resistant circle skirts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »
Any polyester or poly blend that is mostly poly should be relatively wrinkle free, Diana.  Plus they come in such pretty prints.  When you're in the fabric shop looking for fabrics, scrunch a corner of a fabric that interests you in a small ball in your hand and release.  You will see its wrinkle factor right there.  I've passed on many a fabric that failed that wrinkle factor test.

I make at least one circle skirt each summer, and love them.  I like using linens, silks, and rayons, but I don't see why 100% poly wouldn't work--by that I mean it shouldn't be too hot, since the skirt is swishy.  Plus it would be wash and wear.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:42:02 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:49:56 PM »
Or you can do intentional wrinkling by using/making crinkle fabric. Then it doesn't matter ::)
Maureen
mosewz

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
I do have at least 20 yards of linen dedicated to making circle skirts until I realized there would be so many wrinkles.

Linen circle skirts - how do you minimize the wrinkles Kathyrn?

My problem is that the poly blends I've found look so cheap. Kona cotton looks like the better weight fabric but doesn't that wrinkle too?

Ha, a wrinkle test! I will use that next time I'm at the fabric shop. I can just see myself up and down the aisles, squeezing fabric as I go.  :)
You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:40:07 PM »
Ha, a wrinkle test! I will use that next time I'm at the fabric shop. I can just see myself up and down the aisles, squeezing fabric as I go.
Eh, I do it all the time.  With RTW, too.
If this is for a costume to be seen from a stage, would fabric choice (meaning 'cheap looking') really matter?  Or do I have the usage wrong where it would be seen "up close"?  There are some twills that don't wrinkle like other cottons or add some lycra. 

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »

Ha, a wrinkle test! I will use that next time I'm at the fabric shop. I can just see myself up and down the aisles, squeezing fabric as I go.  :)

I almost never buy a fabric without giving it the scrunch test, Diana.  Besides it's fun squeezing fabrics.  They never complain. ;D

Actually, I think that circle skirts wrinkle less because they are so full. A-line or straight skirts get those lap wrinkles which don't look so good when one stands up.  My linen circle skirts have those soft rumply type of wrinkles that linen is so famous for, but not too bad.

And keep your eyes open, sometimes you'll find some really nice polys (especially microfibers) or poly blends.  Polys (again especially microfibers) don't breathe well, but for a full circle skirt, there is so much ventilation that I don't take that lack of breatheability to be a problem.

Kathryn

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
This is for a costume. The costumes I make are for renaissance festivals so they are up close and personal. I'm not an actor, just what we call a "playtron". The lot of those like me like to play and interact with visitors at renaissance festivals but still pay admission. I go as often as possible (on weekends during season) and my goal is to have a different outfit for everytime I visit the faire.

http://picasaweb.google.com/moltabocca/BARF09#5316760850969976242

In the picture above you can see two of my friends and myself from the back. The skirts I have on are made of a cheap poly material. I feel it takes away from the beautiful bodice and leather hat.

So I need to make new circle skirts. Quality fabric that does not wrinkle or at least resistant to wrinkles. There is the argument that linen fabric is of the period and wrinkles abounded during renaissance times - but I am also neurotic.

I should just go ahead with my original plan of using linen but I'm wondering if there are any other options.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »
/snip/ Actually, I think that circle skirts wrinkle less because they are so full. A-line or straight skirts get those lap wrinkles which don't look so good when one stands up.  My linen circle skirts have those soft rumply type of wrinkles that linen is so famous for, but not too bad. /snip/

Thanks for letting me know Kathryn. I never thought that the fullness would help lessen wrinkles!

I will make one or two out of the linen I already have and take them on a test run.

Thanks guys. You've all been so much help to my sewing and sanity.  :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
Diane, I've never done it with linen, but I know that silk organza underlining helps prevent wrinkles in my silk doupioni pants.  You may want to give that a try with one of your linen skirts.

I loved the Ren-Faire photo.  Gosh, your costumes are gorgeous!

Kathryn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics