Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Feeling a little lost here on the "Reloaded" board?  All the old threads are still available on SG Classic, including the ever popular "Forum Decorum" thread; a huge variety of mini tutorials and how-tos for making SG's format work for you.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg_classic/index.php/topic,124.0.html

Author Topic: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat  (Read 74311 times)

Elephun

• Paid Member
Re: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat
« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »

Rivergum, you are going to have such fun with this machine and I can't wait to see what you make!

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
  • Central Coast of NSW Australia
« Reply #456 on: June 19, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »

So here is a pic of the finished Pjs, sorry it's a bit blurry.

More about the process on my blog https://theinsouciantstitcher.wordpress.com/2017/06/18/new-toy/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:42:21 PM by Rivergum »

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #457 on: June 20, 2017, 02:50:50 AM »

Rivergum, these are adorable!

Karendee

Sizun

• Paid Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #458 on: June 20, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »

I enjoyed reading your blogpost, very informative and lively. The PJs look elegant and very comfortable. The top hardly looks like pajamas, certainly because of the cowl. I'd like to be able to manipulate and customize fabric like you do. So far, even simple dying  was a disaster  ::)

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #459 on: June 20, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »

Rivergum, I love cozy PJs and yours are wonderful.....perfect for lounging and a day of comfort sewing!  As always, I enjoyed your blog!  Thanks for sharing!

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #460 on: June 20, 2017, 04:18:22 PM »

Rivergum, as usual your PJ's are absolutely adorable!!! I really enjoyed your blogpost with the technical info on the printing process as well as how it interacts with your creative vision. Super Inspo Woman!!!  Thank you  :D

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #461 on: June 20, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »

Thank so KarenDee, Sizun, Debbie S and mrseccentric! This is my standard pyjama pattern. I don't use a robe and I like to wear something where I feel covered when I go up to my garden to forage for breakfast, or when I am a houseguest somewhere else. The cowl is cosy around my neck and can be pulled up over my nose. I suffer from a cold nose in winter. Hopefylly it is NOT a sign that my circulation is compromised and it will have to be amputated at some time in the future!  :o

Re the screen printing, I am at the start of my journey with this, hoping to get much better over time.

Sizun, having a disaster when you first try something new is very unfortunate. I know it turns me off too. With dyeing, good quality dyes are essential, the stuff you buy in supermarkets mostly fades and bleeds. As you are in France I would recommend Dharma Trading if you don't have anything local, although the French and Germans are really good with their chemistry and there really should be local supplies. Starting with a cotton garment that is past it's useful life would be my recommendation.

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #462 on: June 21, 2017, 06:03:51 AM »

Thank your or the tips about dye use, Rivergum. I must admit I've used supermarket dyes so far.  My first try was with a white linen shirt "past its use", and I got a blotchy result. I think this was because a) I had used an old washing machine and b) there might have been invisible stains on the shirt. The second time I dyed old sheets just for an experiment and it worked beautifully. But the color wasn't very exciting. The third time I dyed white cotton muslined pants and a cut of cotton fabric and it was all blotchy and I really don't know why  >:( Too bad because the cotton cut, originally a harsh poppy red came out as a lovely warm Burgundy. I used part of it as a lining  ;)

I recently spotted a french weavers' forum where there is a section for dye projects, so I might get some advice there. I will share ! It's summer here and the right season for dying experiments as I can settle outside and fabric will dry quickly (I don't have a tumble dryer)

MaryV

• O/T Politics
« Reply #463 on: June 21, 2017, 10:05:10 AM »

For lots of online dyeing info, go to:   www.pburch.net/dyeing.shtml
I learned everything I know about dyeing here; I agree with Rivergum - try Procion MX dyes instead of Rit, you'll see a world of difference.

MaryV

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #464 on: June 21, 2017, 11:35:45 AM »

Thank you for the link Mary. I think I have found an online  Procion MX retailer who is located in France.

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #465 on: July 03, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »

Has anyone mentioned this source of lagenlook patterns
https://boho-banjo-art-to-wear.myshopify.com
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #466 on: July 03, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »

I wish they made those patterns in smaller sizes. Yes I know, I could alter them.
Frances Grimble
Books on making historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #467 on: July 04, 2017, 01:23:34 AM »

Inspired by SHIHAR's Split Skirt and SHIHAR' Split Tunic, I ventured into my closet today and came up with a black linen 6 gore bias skirt that I picked up at a thrift store last year that I don't enjoy wearing very often that seemed perfect for unpicking front and back seams, adding a few security stitches, and trying out. My pictures don't do the split skirt justice, I think. It actually looks kind of like a flower to me, which is much different than the knit inspiration pieces. I'm happy with it.

Sorry for the silly poses! I was trying to show the split.

click for larger images

If I see a knit skirt or dress I can pick apart at a thrift store, I'll probably give that a try too.

Melinda_B

• Paid Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #468 on: July 04, 2017, 02:32:50 AM »

I wish they made those patterns in smaller sizes. Yes I know, I could alter them.

Altering to make a pattern smaller/larger is a pain though.  Sometimes I think it's easier just to draft from scratch, depending on the pattern.  Why buy a pattern if you have to redraft it?
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #469 on: July 04, 2017, 03:46:57 AM »

I love your split skirt, Elphum. Finding a thrift item to use for this skirt was a wonderful idea.
good job!

Karendee

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #470 on: July 04, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »

Looks great, Elephun. Nice to see you experimenting and posting pics.

I am wearing this today, boiled wool top, freezing in Oz.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:02:35 PM by Rivergum »

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #471 on: July 05, 2017, 03:30:45 AM »

Your outfit looks great, Rivergum!

Karendee

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #472 on: July 05, 2017, 04:50:29 AM »

Thanks Karendee and Rivergum!

Rivergum- you look great as usual!

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »

I'm sorry you're freezing Rivergum, but at least you have the right clothes for this time of year. I'm determined to use more wool in my autumn/winter projects but fabric can be hard to find. This is mostly why I bought a knitting machine, because yarn is far more available. There seems to be a shy renewal of knitting and i'd be delighted if sewing could follow the same path...
For some reason whenever I'm browsing english language sewing blogs I seem to find lots of australian blogs and seeing Christmas parties in the summer always make me smile and dream.  ;)

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #474 on: July 06, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »

Sizun, access to some good quality relatively cheap NZ merino is one of the few fabric perks in Australia. There aren't too many!

But depending on where you are in France, you may be close to the Dutch, Belgian and German itinerant fabric markets. They are absolute heaven! When I go to visit my family in Austria I always try to combine this with a visit, although they are at the other end of the continent and a 1000 km round trip just to get to a fabric market makes me look like a lunatic. I love that my son is back in Sydney but I very much miss my excuse for visits to Amsterdam when he was living there.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #475 on: July 06, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »

Shirt extenders and skirt extenders still seem to be having a moment. As I was looking in my closet for a skirt to split for my SHIHAR experiment, I also found a lace top that I don't wear, and I decided to convert it to a shirt extender. I cut it below the armholes, serged the raw edge, and added elastic. It can be worn with the longer portions front and back or with the longer portions side to side.

The pictures show it in use, but not the outfit I'd wear it with. I just threw it on with the clothes I was wearing today to take the photos. I imagine it being worn in a more tone on tone layered type of look, hence I am posting on this thread. If I find I don't use it, I may dye it.

click for larger images

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #476 on: July 07, 2017, 01:56:50 AM »

I cannot remember if I learned about Sarah Clemens Clothing on Etsy here on this thread or if I found it on Pinterest. In the interest of being better safe than sorry, or as they say "wearing suspenders/braces and a belt", I'm posting the link here. I wouldn't want anyone to miss some of her wonderful pieces, which she makes to order!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:59:22 AM by Elephun »

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #477 on: July 07, 2017, 02:30:03 AM »

Thanks for posting the pic Elephun! Such a cute outfit! Love love love the Doc Martins. I have a thing for lug soled shoes. Too cool.

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #478 on: July 07, 2017, 03:31:23 AM »

I have a number of Sarah Clemens pieces. Nice quality.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #479 on: July 07, 2017, 06:50:39 AM »

Rivergum, thank you soooo much ! I made a search and discovered that there was such an event in my city last March ! Not advertised much though... AND the good news is that they're coming again on Nov 4th !
Now I have to make sure we'll be here on that day  :P

I've been living in Besanšon for 2 years now but I still have to find people interested in sewing...

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #480 on: July 07, 2017, 11:07:07 AM »

Gorgeous outfit, Elephun. Your lace is lovely too. I hope you get lots of wear out of it.

Sizun, you are a bit too far south for Belgium or Holland,  and the closest of the German markets seems to be Freiburg. That is a bit of a hike too, but the markets are on at the weekends, so maybe you could combine a visit with some sightseeing? When we lived in Europe we spend every weekend going somewhere, but maybe after two years you have seen what you want to see.

In any case, here are the dates for the past half year for the 'Stoffmarkt Holland' circuit in Germany. In my opinion the Dutch fabric markets are the best in the world.

https://www.stoffmarktholland.de/termine/

Of course this lot is finished, but the new dates will be out some time in August or September for the second half of the year.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:09:33 AM by Rivergum »

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #481 on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:23 AM »

Crikey, I just saw that the new dates are out already! First year I have seen them that early!

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #482 on: July 07, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »

Thank you for the link Rivergum. However, the one I found seems to be dutch as well. http://www.marchedutissu.com

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #483 on: July 07, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »

the one I found seems to be dutch as well. http://www.marchedutissu.com

Wowee Sizun - what an exciting sight !
Some people in the UK are lucky to have an open-market stall for fabric, but sadly ours stopped coming many years ago.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
« Reply #484 on: July 07, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »

I try to get these fabric fairs whenever I manage it. (Depends on date...they usually are located about a couple of hours drive from me. So it's a day trip. I'm not complaining...fun excursion.)

Prices are good. They have a big, good selection of fabrics that tend to be rather seasonal. The autumn fairs will have lots of wools, fleece and flannels. Lots of children's fabrics. Also good for stocking up on serger thread and elastic and simple notions. (Quality of some of the notions is a bit questionable...I have never had problems but I wouldn't make a wedding gown using materials bought at the fairs.)

The shopping is good! People come early, bring wagons and grocery carts and big suitcases on wheels and stock up. Easy to get to via public transport and they have parking available if you come by car. Some are held outdoors and some are in big indoor halls. Indoors works better if weather is bad! In my experience, limited offerings of toilets and food and drink, come prepared if you make this a long outing. Do not bring hubbies, kids, nor pets. (But you will see women who have an entourage..not advisable if you want to seriously shop.)

If anyone wants to rendezvous anyplace I can get to...I'd be happy for a group enabling experience. I tend to get there and get overwhelmed with choice, then later regret that I didn't come home with more stuff.

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #485 on: July 07, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »

Bessiecrocker, thank you for the advice. I'm lucky to live very near the place the fair will be organized. I can drive to the streetcar line, and then it's just a few stops from there. I could even walk to the streetcar stop,  (only 25 minutes, and I do it often) but I'm expecting to have a lot to carry at the end of the day  ;D

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #486 on: July 07, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »

I have a number of Sarah Clemens pieces. Nice quality.

It's always good to get some insight about the quality. Thanks, Fran!

Rivergum- thanks for the compliment!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:43:50 PM by Elephun »

KDC

• O/T Politics
« Reply #487 on: July 07, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »

I've been trying out some new silhouettes, and made up the StyleArc Toni -- a dress with those squared off side drapes. Converted the top to give it sleeves, and used a knit that was probably drapier than called for.

Tried it on and -- meh. Not sure why -- maybe the changes I made, maybe I'm just not used to seeing myself in looser styles. At any rate, I remembered River Gum mentioning (maybe somewhere here, maybe on her blog?) that she had tried it on before sewing the lower side and liked the look. What did I have to lose? So, some time spent with the seam ripper, plus whacking off a few inches to give myself more of a tunic length rather than a dress and it is now wearable, and with some Capri length leggings will have something of a Lagenlook -- baby steps!  :)

This is one of the great things about SG -- so much to learn from others! Karen

Karen
Ravelry - karendeane

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #488 on: July 07, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »

I keep trying to like Style Arc and Cutting Line Designs and I can't.  I think they're just too conservative.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #489 on: July 08, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »

I really like the Style Arc Toni that I made out of a dark navy and white irregular striped knit. I haven't made plans for another yet, mainly because of the fabric question. This one is great. It is eye-catching.
My neutrals are black, navy, white, and shades of grey. It really is an expanse of fabric across the lower body, and I feel it would be a little boring for my taste  in one of my dark neutrals. One of my light neutrals would be nice, but I'd surely ruin it first time out, if not before I even finish sewing it by bleeding on it.
For my second Toni, I'd like a fabric somewhere between eye-catching and boring. So, I wait.

At this point in my life, I agree with you about CLD and Style Arc being too conservative for me, Fran. I have some nice patterns from SA already, and I can possibly see myself sewing CLD sometime in the future, though.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here