Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

Author Topic: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat  (Read 74316 times)

Manuela

• former
  • Paid Member
  • Hong Kong
Re: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat
« Reply #420 on: May 24, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »

So, I guess what I forgot to ask: Is there a lagenlook style that would have more waist definition?
TalyQ, look at Mrs Eccentric's pictures (and blog), she usually wears Lagenlook with waist definition, and looks fabulous in it  :)

TalyQ

• Flickr gallery
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2017, 05:58:13 AM »

Manuela, I searched and can not figure out the address of MrsEccentrics blog. If someone could point me to it, I would be thankful.

Manuela

• former
  • Paid Member
  • Hong Kong
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2017, 06:05:17 AM »

Manuela, I searched and can not figure out the address of MrsEccentrics blog. If someone could point me to it, I would be thankful.
Here you go:
http://dashingeccentric.blogspot.hk

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #423 on: May 25, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »

Manuela, you flatter me!!! (blushes)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143130227@N03/albums

TalyQ - here's a link to my flickr account, which has more recent pics with more lagenlook inspo. I'd post more but I am in the middle of moving my husband and cat into my mom's house - with her two dogs  :o

I hope you enjoy! You may also like looking thru the SF Classic Lagenlook thread in "Fashion, Style and Wardrobe" part of the forum. Ivey Abitz is a LL designer with good waist def too.

Susan in Saint John

• Paid Member
« Reply #424 on: May 25, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

Last week I made it to Kaliyana in Ottawa.  [I did not come away empty handed.]

Do tell!

I always enjoy visiting Kaliyana.  The clothes are displayed as collections -- often on hangers rather than mannequins.  Part of the current collection was featured http://www.kaliyana.com/eng/2017-ss/.  In addition there are some things that never make it to the online shop.  The spring/summer collection is mostly cotton.  Some of the cottons are quite stiff and I have yet to find one that requires only minimal ironing.  I always have a look at the sale rack which can be hidden away at the back of the store.  They also stock some Trippen and Arche shoes.

It's nice to be able to try on some garments as the sizing can vary.  Sometimes a size M/L or size 2 fits me and sometimes it's too small.  This spring I ordered a size M surprise box [8 garments for the price of one plus shipping] and later they had a size L surprise box [6 garments for the price of one plus shipping].  About half of each box moved directly into my closet.  A couple of pieces moved into the sewing room to have patterns made from them.  One of these was a long skirt [too small] made from 2 coordinating rayon prints.  Each fabric was a rectangle with the bottom edges curved and joined at the waist.  They were layered over each other with the openings on opposite sides and joined with an elastic waistband.  I have since figured out that I can make it large enough by increasing the space between the rectangle edges [115 cm/45 inches] to give sufficient ease and gathering it slightly to fit the waistband.

In the surprise boxes there were some garments that worked well for DD [with some alterations].  One was a kimono which incorporated a printed section and a matching navy skirt.  In Ottawa, I found the matching navy pants on the sale rack.  Now I can take the skirt and make it into a top so she'll have a 3 piece outfit.  I also found a top/jacket which matches the 2 print skirt described above.

I bought this shirt for myself https://shonmodern.com/products/rytt001.  I also found a natural rayon/linen jacket which goes with quite a few other pieces -- this is the style https://shonmodern.com/products/rntj001.  I also found a dress which was marked down because of a flaw but the fabric is wonderful print.  I'll remake it into a top of some sort.

Of course, projects are piling up in my sewing room.  But we're not doing much travel this year so I hope to do more sewing.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
  • Central Coast of NSW Australia
« Reply #425 on: May 25, 2017, 09:28:03 PM »

Thanks Susan. I will never make it to Kaliyana in person, so I enjoy living through you vicariously! I guess I could buy online, but I know I would be disappointed because the proportions will be all wrong for me. She doesn't design for 5'4" people of solid construction, so trying on would be a must. Plus the shipping to Australia is a killer.

Susan in Saint John

• Paid Member
« Reply #426 on: May 25, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »

In the stores, as you would expect, the staff wear Kaliyana.  Most of the staff are not very tall and they are certainly all not particularly thin.  It's quite common to roll up the sleeves on the garments because they are too long [and most people probably don't know how to shorten them].  I would certainly not buy these garments online if I was not already familiar with the product.

I really admire the garments you make. I just wish I could find more time for sewing.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #427 on: May 26, 2017, 07:27:07 AM »

Thanks Susan. My kids are grown. Amazing how much more time I have for my hobbies than I used to!

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #428 on: June 04, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »

This thread has been dead for a week, so I am taking Manuela's stern words on the dress sew-along to heart and I am showing what I have made. I especially like the hem shape with the notch and I have made a very successful tunic with the same shape yesterday, but no photo yet.

Modus operandi and Lagenlook musings n my blog:
https://theinsouciantstitcher.wordpress.com/2017/05/24/swing-coat/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:22:35 PM by Rivergum »

Sewshopper

« Reply #429 on: June 04, 2017, 10:41:27 PM »

Rivergum, thanks for the blog addition.  I've downloaded the Tessuti pattern a long time ago and never gotten to it!  Need a to work on it.  Your jacket is lovely.

Karleene

Manuela

• former
  • Paid Member
  • Hong Kong
« Reply #430 on: June 04, 2017, 11:00:47 PM »

Fantabulous outfit Rivergum. Love the hem shape, and started to experiment lately with hem shapes on dresses to make them look more appealing when worn with flat shoes.

I didn't mean to be stern, but I observed that, in recent weeks, there were less and less posts, and I don't want the Stitcher's Guild to become obsolete. We discussed this issue when the site was down and we had discusssions about the future of it over on PR.  :)

mudcat (SWAP Coordinator)

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #431 on: June 05, 2017, 12:19:33 AM »

Rivergum, I would have never considered making a jacket out of that Tessuti pattern.  It's fabulous. 

I believe part of the reason we have fewer posts is that in many places the weather is turning nice and people spend more time outdoors. 

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #432 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:44 AM »

Rivergum, your jacket looks great. It was clever to use the Tessuti Fave Top.

Sizun

• Paid Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #433 on: June 05, 2017, 06:39:02 AM »

Rivergum, I love this jacket and how creative you are in the LL field. Thank you for these lovely and informative posts. I'd like to try the Fave top too.

I believe part of the reason we have fewer posts is that in many places the weather is turning nice and people spend more time outdoors.

Exactly what I'm thinking... 8)

One Dress A Month Sew Along

DaisyL

• O/T Politics
« Reply #434 on: June 05, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »

You have inspired me to dig out my Fave top pattern again, Rivergum  ;D. That was one of the first patterns I tried 2ish years ago - at that point I had no idea I could change a pattern to fit me ::).

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #435 on: June 05, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »

I have a new outfit to share ! I finished sewing the pants minutes before going out to lunch and my daughter took a pic on the way to the restaurant.

The tunic is a print viscose. I wanted to replicate the rust print one I sewed last year and this one has a simpler hem. I used again McCall's 6465, which I enlarged after the bust dart, and I drew a straight line for the bottom hem (vs a curved one). Before sewing the side seams, I stretched as much as possible the bias part of the sides, from the dart to the hem and ironed them to keep the shape. Then I hemmed on the machine, being careful to have a super clean finish (well, almost...) at the points.

The pants are Tessuti Demi Pant, which I made in a light viscose (70%) and poly blend. I followed the pattern faithfully except for the pocket finish (overlocked instead of fold and sewn) and I lengthened them by 5 cm (2") to suit my height.

TalyQ

• Flickr gallery
« Reply #436 on: June 05, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »

you guys really want me try something like this :) I am enjoying learning about this style from you.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #437 on: June 05, 2017, 04:33:56 PM »

Cute outfit, Sizun!

Go for it, TalyQ!

KDC

• O/T Politics
« Reply #438 on: June 05, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »

Very attractive look Sizun -- love the color of your top!  :) Karen
Karen
Ravelry - karendeane

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #439 on: June 05, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »

That outfit looks great, Sizun! The Demi pants are full length on me ( I have lengthened the pattern a little), but I like the above-the-ankle effect of yours so much that I must try it too. Of course we are in the depths of a particularly cold winter here, so it will have to wait until spring.

The weather here must be why I am online and posting. ;D

Thanks Karleene, mudcat, Elephun, Manuela, DaisyL, Sizun and TalyQ for the encouragement.

No problem, Manuela, I want this site to be alive and vibrant too. A solution to the picture problem might help, but I understand that graphics take up a lot of server storage, which is expensive.

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #440 on: June 06, 2017, 02:46:34 AM »

Rivergum, your coat is so smart looking on you. GReat job!

Sizun. Bothyour top and pants work together for a beautiful, trendy outfit. Enjoy wearing both the items.

Karendee

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #441 on: June 08, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »

Does anyone here have experience with a vinyl cutter? My machine arrived yesterday from China. It's a small desktop one, and I want to cut stencils with it. I am wondering if thin but stiff plastic such as used for folder dividers would be suitable to be cut by this machine? The pic looks like something like that is being used.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #442 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »

Does anyone here have experience with a vinyl cutter? ... I want to cut stencils with it. I am wondering if thin but stiff plastic such as used for folder dividers would be suitable to be cut by this machine? ...

Rivergum
I have a Silhouette Cameo which is similar to the beauty you acquired.  I ve cut several different materials for stencils but not specifically document protectors (which is what I think you are referring to).  Others on the Cameo Yahoo Grouo have used document protectors and were very pleased both with the cutting and subsequent stencil use. You will need to experiment, but expect success.
sdBev

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #443 on: June 09, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »

Oh, thanks, sdBev, that s great to hear. This kind of machinery is very expensive here, so getting the Chinese version was the next best thing. If I lived in the US I would probably have bought the known brand.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #444 on: June 09, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »

Oh, thanks, sdBev, that s great to hear. This kind of machinery is very expensive here, so getting the Chinese version was the next best thing. If I lived in the US I would probably have bought the known brand.
Didnyiur machine come with some kind of mat?  I can cut without a mat with my Cameo, but I prefer to stick my media to a mat.
sdBev

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #445 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »

Ah! That is such a useful comment! I have been wondering about a mat, knowing that the Cameo etc use them. Good to know you can cut without one too, even on a Cameo. It must have something to do with your cutting medium not moving about as it is being cut.

My model seems to cut without a mat. I have been researching this type of machine on YouTube, and the videos show the vinyl being fed into the machine without one. As I want to use stencil materials that are pretty stiff I think I will be ok without one from a feeding point of view. I was just worried I might damage something in the machine if I cut without a mat, like cutting a lower feed roller with the blade, but judging by the YouTube clips that doesn't seem to be the case. They show how to cut sticky vinyl for signage and the blade is adjusted to cut the vinyl but not the backing sheet.

I think my cutter is a rebadged Seiki, as it came with a Seiki manual. The brand it is sold under is Vevor.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #446 on: June 09, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »

The Silhouette/Cameo software has mat/no mat selection. I think that setting has to do with how deep the knife cuts, but not sure. I cut long sheets of  freezer paper without a mat.  Cuts done with a mat seems to be more accurate

Is your knife removable?  No thats not the right question.  I want to ask, can you use a pen?  with some cutters (Cameo included) the knife is replaceable with writing implementa like pen or marker.  Some cutters use an after market adapter which allows the use of a writing implement.

You ve just eneter a while new world of fun.
sdBev

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #447 on: June 10, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »

It hasn't come with a writing pen, but the manual mentions one, so you must be able to get it. I don't see a use for writing, only for cutting.

I played with the software today and it was a learning curve. Thankfully I am very experienced with Photoshop, and have picked up enough of Illustrator to do outlines. Still a few bugs to squash, but I have produced what might be a useable file and will try cutting tomorrow.

I want to make some white cotton jersey pyjamas printed with Dalmatian dots.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #448 on: June 10, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »

It hasn't come with a writing pen, but the manual mentions one, so you must be able to get it. I don't see a use for writing, ...
and drawing and coloring.. and what's the word for pressing lines into a surface to create either a raised or depressed line....
sdBev

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #449 on: June 10, 2017, 08:04:39 PM »

Blind print ?

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #450 on: June 10, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »

Embossing? Engraving? That sounds like something suitable for paper craft, which I am not into, at least ATM.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #451 on: June 10, 2017, 11:07:53 PM »

Embossing?
Yes!  Im getting so senile :P
sdBev

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #452 on: June 11, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »

I hope nobody minds the temporary diversion into stencil cutting, I promise to show my diy printed Lagenlook pyjamas when I'm done.  :D

SdBev, I got my cutter going, but didn't quite have the right medium to turn out a useable stencil. I tried paper, then screen printing stencil medium, but they both moved around while being cut, so didn't work properly. I then used a thin cardboard, which was fine, but hadn't adjusted the knife to cut all the way through, so no proper stencil with that either and I didn't have any more. Live and learn. At least I could tell that the machine was cutting curves beautifully, I was worried about that.

I am thinking maybe I didn't make the feeder rollers tight enough with the paper etc, there are screws and springs which look like they can be adjusted. Will try that tomorrow.

I also looked at diy cutting mats online, some bright spark used plastic placemats and spray on adhesive, looks good to me.

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #453 on: June 11, 2017, 10:52:27 PM »

Rivergum

You're doing what has to be done.  You have to take the time to get to know your machine. Not all the early projects will be winners. One word of advice,  write down the media and the setting used for future reference.
sdBev

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »

Good idea!

I actually cut a perfectly good stencil today, yay! I will stick with the settings and medium for the foreseeable future for screen printing, but you never know. This new machine might just lead me astray into unexplored territory.

Now I need to get a bit of experience with tesselating my screen prints, because of course I am not printing a motif on a tshirt, but doing all over yardage, or at least the pieces for a whole garment. It is a whole lot less work to cut out first and the print.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:41:59 AM by Rivergum »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here