Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Using three or more URLs in one post may cause a "Forbidden" error.  To help prevent problems, try to remember to "copy" your post before you hit "preview" or "send" so if you get an error you can simply "paste" your words to try again.  Most posts do go through after a few tries.

Author Topic: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat  (Read 74314 times)

bessiecrocker

• Paid Member
Re: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat
« Reply #385 on: May 05, 2017, 06:00:34 AM »

And a question for anyone who has experience: My sweetie and I are considering spending a few months in an inexpensive country with a good textile tradition.

Mods and Therisa: could we pull out this part of the Lagen discussion and make a new "textile related travel" thread? I'm interested in reading all these suggestions but they are getting lost in among all the lovely lagen outfits.

thanks...and it's ok if you want to keep this where it is. I will find it!

Sizun

• Paid Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #386 on: May 05, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »

Rivergum, very informative and entertaining post !

Your remarks about foreigners not paying the same as the local people reminded me of my young turkish coworker who told me her parents asked their children not to talk when shopping in Turkey because their accent could have betrayed them as being from a "rich country"  ;D

So with a fabric inventory 40m bigger, I'm sure you're going to have lots of inspiration and you will share creative and lovely outfits !

Thank you for your comment about the Demi pants crotch. This is always a problem area which needs to be adjusted but my rust pants one seem nice so I might use it if necessary, as well as a New Look or Simplicity one I used last year.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
  • Central Coast of NSW Australia
« Reply #387 on: May 05, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »

Thanks Sizun and Debbie S!

Mods, I am sure a fabric shopping travel thread would be good. Handy reference for a lot of people who plan their holidays around fabric shopping like I do.  ;D

Therisa

« Reply #388 on: May 11, 2017, 01:47:16 PM »

Mods: I would certainly agree that a fabric shopping thread would be good.

Rivergum: Thanks for the useful and informative shopping post. I hope to go there and check out some of the shops you mentioned!

Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #389 on: May 12, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »

I actually saw someone wearing this look in the UK! Long top, mid calf, over white harem trousers (those that are baggy and gathered at the ankles). It looked different, but quite smart.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #390 on: May 14, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »

I don't think I've seen SHIHAR on the Lagenlook thread before. I think there is a lot to look at and get inspired by in the Etsy shop. These are two of my favorite outfits today.

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: May 14, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »

Oh how pretty! Thanks for posting the photos, Elephun

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

KDC

• O/T Politics
« Reply #392 on: May 14, 2017, 11:59:46 PM »

Those are some interesting pieces Elephun. Made me start wondering if I needed a jersey maxi skirt for summer! Karen
Karen
Ravelry - karendeane

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #393 on: May 15, 2017, 12:04:14 AM »

Very pretty, I really like the lines of those two outfits.  I have never been comfortable in ruffles or bows, but those sleek long lines sing to me!  Thanks for posting the photos!

Manuela

• former
  • Paid Member
  • Hong Kong
« Reply #394 on: May 15, 2017, 12:05:15 AM »

Elephun, I love that look - I would totally wear that.

mudcat (SWAP Coordinator)

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #395 on: May 15, 2017, 12:27:41 AM »

The pink/red one I'd wear as is but the other I'd have to replace the white with a pale lavender or gray.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #396 on: May 15, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »

Delicious! I like this long sleek lines too. Not sure about the pants, but I love the waistcoats.

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #397 on: May 15, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »

I would love to find a pattern for those pants, she describes them as yoga pants.

Manuela

• former
  • Paid Member
  • Hong Kong
« Reply #398 on: May 15, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »

I would love to find a pattern for those pants, she describes them as yoga pants.

How about Vogue 1550

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #399 on: May 15, 2017, 02:54:01 PM »

Last year I sewed these Newlook 6191 pants in a ramie fabric. They have a waist yoke and a side zip but I never felt really comfortable in them because the waist was either too wide or too snug according to my weight fluctuation or whatever. So I replaced the yoke and the zip by a jersey knit fold over band in the same color and it worked very well. (I'm not going to keep them though because the fabric is too stiff and they might become a skirt soon)

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #400 on: May 15, 2017, 11:47:32 PM »

I also like the long lines and the amount of fabric being used.

I think I like the split skirt and split tunic dress for layering.

I've got Style Arc Sailor Sue Palazzo Pant pattern that I would probably use as a base for the pants, but I also like the look of a legging underneath in a few of the photos.

Therisa

« Reply #401 on: May 16, 2017, 01:35:43 AM »

I also like the triangle leg pants. Looking at the first picture, I agree with Rivergum's choice of a stretch material and a very close crotch, if one wants to replicate the look. But on the website, I don't like the look of the visible pudenda or whichever rounded body part that is.https://www.etsy.com/listing/108925291/triangular-womens-pants-yoga-pants?ref=shop_home_active_7 Therefore, I would probably prefer to use a woven fabric or a hybrid as Sizun suggested. I'll try tomorrow and see how it looks, God willing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:38:30 AM by Therisa »

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #402 on: May 16, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »

This sort of line diagram makes me feel very out of date.  Those strain lines pointing to the crotch.  They appear on many RTW fashion sketches too.  Perhaps they're there so the modern girl expects to wear badly fitting pants.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

cindyha

« Reply #403 on: May 16, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »

I don't think I've seen SHIHAR on the Lagenlook thread before.

OMG, I love her styles.   Very tempted to purchase the triangle pants.  I'm not tall and thin though, wonder how they look on a 55 year old with a few extra pounds?

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #404 on: May 16, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »

Thank you Elephun, i'm enjoying the SHIHAR designs! The tunic with triangle pant look is so elegant, just beautiful.  I'm also getting a kick out of the many wrap designs in the store, too.

wrap jacket

long sleeved wrap top

re: the crotch illustrations. To be fair, as soon as you sit down or take much of a stride in pants the fabric is going to crease at the top of the thigh. It's just how people are built.

I've seen two instances in real life where this didn't occur. One - moderately full cut trousers made out of hefty1970's double knit polyester. Two - freshly laundered jeans worn by high school girls who literally have not yet moved much or sat down - they would wait until they'd been spotted by 'that guy', then they would (possibly) take a seat or walk briskly.

I can't say i look back on either scenario with any fondness. Sketching a garment as it will look when worn doesn't bother me.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #405 on: May 16, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »

Hmm, talking about how pants are drawn/represented, I am reminded of a Japanese manga cartoon I watched with my kids years ago. The adult girls in it wearing pants were drawn with saddle bags. Not big ones, but deliberate, with wrinkles where the pants were stretched to emphasise. It was supposed to look cute (like females in mangas usually are). I think the Japanese regard it as the female shape and therefore sexy, although this was a kids cartoon, so not overtly sexualised.

Maybe the fact that Asian women don't have saddle bags has something to do with this, but I thought it was a good example how the aesthetic of the female body is not set in concrete. It depends on the time and context. I am all for the Rubens aesthetic. ;D

Therisa

« Reply #406 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:25 AM »

The triangle pants, which still require hemming with a friend, are here. https://sites.google.com/site/nomadicsewing/project-list/triangle-pants

Debbie S

• Paid Member
« Reply #407 on: May 17, 2017, 04:12:42 AM »

Theresa, Wow! Love you version of the triangular pants!  Quickly read through the info but going back now to devour it.  Thanks, I spent some time today looking at patterns for leg width, as to me that seemed like the deciding factor.

Therisa

« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »

Thank you so much, Debbie! You're very kind to say so.

I feel that a person can use any pattern she wants, as long as the inseam is straight. It is tough to alter that area. The less ease over the hips, though, the steeper the slope will be from the hip to the outside point of the triangle.

I always advise folks to make sure one knows one's OWN alterations. We do these before changing style lines. In one of the pictures, one can note that I cut 2.5" off of the CF and tapered to side seams. With tighter pants, I take out 3.5". I also add 1.5" to the CB, then blend to sides. For big 4 patterns, or Burda or Kwiksew, after years of muslining every pair of trousers, I know this is what I need to do, which gives me the confidence to start cutting on expensive fabrics. For new tops, I generally start with my personalized fitting block and add the other designer's details. I do make muslins for those. YMMV.

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to incorporate my responses in my blog entry.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »

Therisa, your pants look terrific!

Sizun

• Paid Member
    • My blog
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »

You succeeded perfectly in making similar pants, they look great. And thank you for sharing your thinking process, very useful to us other stitchers  ;)

Manuela

• former
  • Paid Member
  • Hong Kong
« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

Therisa, great result! Thank you for the walk through your thinking process   :)

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »

Rivergum, what a fun memory!  I've always enjoyed art and you can see just about every and any body type depicted as some unobtainable ideal if you look around enough. I'm a fan of Rubens too   :D

Therisa, stellar write up!! And fantastic outfit - those pants are phenomenal on you; with that epic Che shirt i'm doing my best to not start drooling here ;) Seriously i love it!!

"I always advise folks to make sure one knows one's OWN alterations. We do these before changing style lines."

I can't endorse this enough. Know your measurements, know what ease you like for given fabrics, know the lengths your arms, crotch height, etc. Some people address this all in one go by making a sloper block in oaktag or acrylic sheet to compare to a given printed pattern. However you approach it, do it!  It really avoids so many problems.

"Looking at the model, it appeared that the width was about the same as the distance from the model's knee to her ankle, so I measured 17" up on my leg, which I expected to leave room for a hem and to still go to my ankle."

Again, solid example of a very productive way of interpreting garments you admire. Instead of tracking down the measurements of the original (which may not work for you anyways), observe how the garment interacts with various physical landmarks on the model's body and reproduce this on your own figure. I've been using this approach the past few years and I find it's straightforward and gives me the results I want.

The way those trousers look on you is proof indeed!  Thank you so much for these writeups, they are interesting and very instructive too. Enjoy those trou gorgeous!!!

Therisa

« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »

Thanks so much, Elephun, Sizun, Manuela, Ms. Eccentric, I had a lot of fun making them and it only took about an hour. It's wonderful that my thinking "out loud" can help guide people to making other garments.

I came into sewing from knitting, really, and I am a great devotee of Elizabeth Zimmermann. It was her idea that once you understood a few basic ideas about ther human body, and a few facts about technique and material, you would be able to make anything you wanted. For me, this is the case for sewing, as well. Using someone else's pattern should be quicker, but in general we should ne able to sew anything we can see or imagine.  Here's to sewing creatively!

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2017, 09:03:13 PM »

Therisa said: "I am a great devotee of Elizabeth Zimmermann." A new name to me - off to find out more!   :D

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #415 on: May 19, 2017, 02:19:22 AM »

Therisa, your triangle pants are so chic and I thank you for all the instructions, also.

Karendee

Susan in Saint John

• Paid Member
« Reply #416 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:35 PM »

Those triangle pants are great.  I too have enjoyed Elizabeth Zimmerman's knitting books.  They are classics and most are still available through her daughter Meg Swansen at Schoolhouse Press.  https://www.schoolhousepress.com/.  More recently, I've come across a couple of knitting authors who write about adjusting knitting patterns for fit and style. 

Last week I made it to Kaliyana in Ottawa.  [I did not come away empty handed.] 

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #417 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »

Last week I made it to Kaliyana in Ottawa.  [I did not come away empty handed.]

Do tell!

TalyQ

• Flickr gallery
« Reply #418 on: May 24, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »

I am intrigued by this style, have been secretely looking at various looks on pinterest. The clothes do look so comfy and unique :) Maybe I will try something like this in the close future. Although I am afraid of looking really huge, because I have a very large bust (G-cup), but a pretty defined waist, so anything hanging down from the bust and especially going wider makes me look pregnant (now I loved being pregnant 7 times, but prefer not to look pregnant when not LOL).

TalyQ

• Flickr gallery
« Reply #419 on: May 24, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »

So, I guess what I forgot to ask: Is there a lagenlook style that would have more waist definition?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here