Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

We have a new OPT-IN child board for the discussion of politics.  More information is available here: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=682.0

Author Topic: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat  (Read 85418 times)

Sizun

• Paid Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
Re: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »

Rivergum, I've just read your blog post, how interesting ! Thank you for detailing your thinking process. I think I won't be able to tackle my version of the Noa before may, but you helped a lot ! And the necklace complements it so nicely...

One Dress A Month Sew Along

crazyquilter

« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »

I really like that look, Elephun.  And I also like a challenge, so I looked for the designer.  She's Lurdes Burgada from Barcelona.  I found the photo you posted on a 2015 Russian site that said she was 64 then. 

http://www.lurdesbergada.es/en/

I saw lots of dropped crotch pants for men and women when I did a Pinterest search on her name.  There were also some longish pencil skirt looks with asymmetric tops that I found interesting.

Great outfit Rivergum!

tumblina

• Knits & Wovens
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »

I always devour this thread, but haven't made any leaps yet. I loved "swimming" in my clothes in the 80s, and the full button-up skirts and dresses with petticoat lace peaking out were my favourite. I've saved a pattern since then (even though it's now way too small) just to drool over. I wonder if I've gotten over my fear of standing out in a crowd? Strangers tend to be chatty here already. I'm an introvert who already has to talk about "yes, they are twins" everywhere I go, not sure I want to draw more attention to myself... But why live life according to other people, really?

Keep up the inspiration, ladies, I love it!
Knits & Wovens because there's always a story

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »

tumblina: "I'm an introvert who already has to talk about "yes, they are twins" everywhere I go, not sure I want to draw more attention to myself... But why live life according to other people, really?"

Welcome tumblina! heehee, if you hang out here very long we'll get you dressing how you want. I figure if you're already standing out, may as well go with it. I tend to get comments even when i'm deliberately trying to 'fit in', so i just gave up on it and now dress for myself.

If it won't get you arrested, fired, divorced, as long as it doesn't endanger your life - it's all good. You have to wear clothes, make it something you love :)

Elephun and Dawn thank you! Love the look, and the spouse is going to Barcelona this fall. Something for him to check out (he has 5 times the clothes i do, quite  the peacock).

Syndi just started a thread about Deer and Doe's free Plaintain tee shirt. Kathryn pointed out it could easily be lengthened to a dress, which made me realize it could also be a nice tunic. It fits closely at the shoulders and bust, flaring out over the hips - as our brilliant Rivergum always advises.

I think it could be a nice pattern to work with for many lagenlooks. It comes with sleeves (!). I made up Deer and Doe's Bruyere blouse a while back and it's well drafted, nicely designed, and went together easily.

Link to Plantain Tee Pattern
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:54:08 PM by mrseccentric »

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
  • Central Coast of NSW Australia
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »

Thanks Lisanne, Sizun and crazyquilter.

I love Lurdes Bergada's clothes too, but somehow I thought it was a (youngish) male designer! Probably because she designs men's clothes too, the sort only very fashion forward avantguard men would dare to wear. Thanks for putting me straight. I found this article, goes to show 'old' ladies don't necessarily design old lady clothes.  ;D

http://theageofhappiness.com/posts/lurdes-bergada-64-who-learned-how-tolive/T478bKJEz3

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »

I'm so glad I posted that outfit, and Crazyquilter and Rivergum shed so much light on this new-to-me designer!

Rivergum, your tunic looks great!

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »

Another jumping off point for the Noa that I found a while back is Vogue 8968.
I also saw that Pearl Red Moon commented on Rivergum's blog post saying that her Grecian Tunic has lines similar to the Noa.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2017, 12:09:53 AM »

The Vogue looks lovely, but I am always suspicious when they only show a drawing and not a photo of this on a real person, even if the models measurements are nothing like mine.

Pearl does lovely patterns but since I have lost all that weight I have dropped out of her size range.

Sizun

• Paid Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2017, 06:06:18 AM »

I have a RTW maxi dress with this kind of cut on cap sleeves and I'm planning to trace it.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #324 on: April 17, 2017, 06:17:25 AM »

I ran across some interesting sarouel drawings/patterns to share. Click on a blog post to see more information and the particular style and pattern drawing: Sarouels

I use Chrome as my browser and it translates the text to English automatically.

I found some other interesting patterns that I'll show soon, too.

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #325 on: April 17, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »

Thank you for sharing that website with us Elephun! Lots of fun :)

Rivergum i think i've neglected to thank you for another interesting and helpful post (on the Noa tunic interpretation). I find your diagrams and explanations so useful for understanding the concepts behind duplicating a shape you like - not just the one you're explaining. Great!

I ordered some Brussels Washer Linen in a taupe-y light neutral color to make another pair of sarouelles. It's slated to arrive Friday and i'm so impatient! I find myself wearing the black ones constantly, save the day or three they've spent in the wash. Hooray for a wardrobe workhorse!

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2017, 03:10:51 AM »

A couple of diagrams that look interesting

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:09 PM »

elephun, those diagrams are great.  i would want the pants to be a bit longer but the style is otherwise super.

Therisa

« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »

We are in Toronto and I plan to go shopping at Kaliyana today! I am hoping to get something from the older pieces from the outlet and maybe something new!

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #329 on: April 19, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »

Lucky you, Therisa! I have been admiring Kaliyana's work for years, but no chance to go there. Enjoy yourself on my behalf!

I've done another iteration of the Noa. Using the StyleArc Toni pattern worked well and was far less trouble than the Vogue I tried at first. Still haven't reproduced the cowl, it needs heaps of fabric I didn't have.

Posting on Pattern Review I am a bit shocked how far I have wandered off the mainstream. Still, I am more content with my wardrobe than I have ever been. Eccentrics of the world, unite!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:06:20 PM by Rivergum »

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #330 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »

This tunic is beautiful, Rivergum!

Therisa

« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2017, 02:04:47 AM »

Rivergum,

I think your work is better than what I saw at Kaliyana. You use nice fabrics and your clothes fit the way you want them to. I saw another shopper trying on the anti-suit, and she looked great, but was having trouble with the pant length, and she was not tall. I tried on the Ono dress, and it eas indeed one size fits all, but with my alpine bosom and long arms, it didn't look the way it was intended.

Most of the items I saw were rayon, with only a few linen. " The One" was interesting and I will try to reproduce it with my own fabric for less than the $269 it cost. Service was excellent, it's just that for a sewist, the prices were high, and the colors and fabrics were often other than I wanted.

So if you ever travel to Canada, you can visit them and get ideas, but, in reality, they ought to be buying from you rather than the other way around.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #332 on: April 20, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »

How sweet of you to say that, Therisa. Yes, I too suffer from sticker shock easily, as do all who sew and are used to nice linen, silk and wool for much less than poly in the shops. I hope your ' The One' dress turns out well.

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #333 on: April 20, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »

Rivergum said: "I am a bit shocked how far I have wandered off the mainstream. Still, I am more content with my wardrobe than I have ever been. Eccentrics of the world, unite!"

heehee! This version of the Noa is even more gorgeous! That silk in that color, like a big raspberry and strawberry parfait; i just want to dive on in (swoon...).

It's the double edged sword of sewing. You can make things that are just your style, perfect fit, coddle any sore spots, your favorite fibres and colors. All for less time, money and hassle than if you were shopping (in my case). It is wonderful, but i've noticed the same thing - kinda doing my own thing over here but what the heck not hurting anyone ;)

And in your case you're looking amazing as well!

Therisa thank you for the Kaliyana report! I've yet to see any of it in person but i really enjoy checking out the looks online. I have to say i did a knockoff of the Amazing skirt and i love it. It's very popular when i'm out and about, too.  (here's a pic with two amazing skirts layered up)

But you point out all the reasons we can't stop sewing. I would love to get my hands on some of Kaliyana's fabrics, this blue print on cotton is so lovely and would mix well with denim, black, beiges, whites....

Looking forward to your report on The One!!

Here's a pic with one one worn as a jacket and another one worn as a skirt. Looks very tempting! I love the idea of these garments which you can wear a billion ways, but unless it's a scarf i just end up wearing it one way and never change it up (embarrassing but true).

Susan in Saint John

• Paid Member
« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »

I wear a lot of Kaliyana.  I find that their garments which are serged wear better than those that are french seamed.  As Therisa mentioned, there is a lot of rayon and rayon/linen blends especially in the spring/summer collection.  The fall/winter garments are often cotton knits and cottons -- like the Anti-suit.  I find that a rayon/linen blend has better drape than a pure linen.  It is generally sewn with french seams and as it is a bit loosely woven, I've had problems because the first pass of the seam has been trimmed too closely.  Their laundry instructions are to hand wash or dryclean everything.  I wash my Kaliyana in the washing machine on delicate and put them in the dryer on low until they are just damp.  Some of the garments are just too voluminous for hand washing by me.  I do find that the cotton and the knits are stain magnets and that these stains are often difficult to remove.  There is almost always excess dye that comes out in the first wash and products like Oxiclean can also remove a bit of colour.  Except for the knits, just about everything needs to be pressed.

Everytime I get to Montreal or Toronto, I try to visit their shop.  I'm off to Ottawa in May and I am planning to visit the shop there. The sizing is not totally predictable and their website does not accept returns so it's good to shop in person.  I do shop on line, especially the sales, but it's often for a shape I've bought before so I have a good idea that it's going to fit alright.  On the other hand, I do sew and have altered or repaired some garments.  I've even bought an extra sale garment so I can use the fabric to make a different piece.  As you can tell, I am addicted to this style and this brand.

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #335 on: April 24, 2017, 08:48:05 PM »

One of the pair of thai pants I bought.  These were all of about 200 baht which is about $6. I'm pairing with a Karen Kane light weight rayon knit top.  On the rack these pants seemed quite bright compared to all the other pairs but in reality they are not.

This pair doesn't have elephants and they are very light weight rayon of poor quality.  I ended up with the two elephant pants I mentioned a few posts ago plus an elephant skirt.  They are all "one size" AKA as one size fits most which is equivalent to an American small.  I washed all the pants on gentile cycle and line dried.  They wrinkled quite badly and needed ironing.  I don't expect any of them to last more than a couple of years of wearing once a month.  But who knows.  I don't like the idea of disposable clothing but I liked the prints.  I would have been happy to have paid more for better quality.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:58:41 PM by mudcat adores tokyo »

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #336 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »

Diane Ericson has just re-issued a pattern for one-seam pants, Capitola pants
https://dianeericsondesign.wazala.com/category/patterns/
which looks like it could be a good basic for people with ‘arty’ style.
Combine with the River tunic for a very easy basic outfit !
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Therisa

« Reply #337 on: April 25, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »

Lisanne, I had never ordered from or even heard of Diane Ericsson before you posted, but am now considering the River Tunic. Thanks!

About Kaliyana: Apparently, I did a great job talking it up before my trip to Toronto, because the lady I mentioned it to on April 2nd has now bought a total of seven pieces! She is so happy at how the pieces coordinate with her previously- held Eileen Fisher, Elizabeth Susann, and Japanese haori. With all of this, she has used up her fashion budget for April and has to wait for next month before continuing. (!) So, even if I did not personally buy anything from their store, I am responsible for inspiring a new customer.

Still working on "The One" and hope to have it finished by tomorrow.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #338 on: April 25, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »

Mudcat, the pants look great. You must really stand out in Tokyo. From what I know of the Japanese, they mainly wear black, white, grey and houndstooth/black and white check. :-)

Therisa, will you let us know how you went about replicating The One please.

Therisa

« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »

Rivergum, here are my notes so far. I'll be going to a friend's house tomorrow to take the finished pics, and will add them to the document at that time.

https://sites.google.com/site/nomadicsewing/project-list/bottoms

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #340 on: April 26, 2017, 05:01:15 AM »

My goodness, you are nothing if not thorough! Thank you!

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #341 on: April 26, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »

Therisa, that sounds like a good challenge - thanks for recording all the planning/decisions needed.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Therisa

« Reply #342 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »

Thanks, Rivergum and Lisanne! I posted the photos of myself and my buddy Sarah trying the garments on. I hadn't finished the cuffs on the second one, but at least I was able to get the pics. 

Sarah is not going to be able to wear the garment other than as a top. She doesn't like the open cowl in the back, saying that it looks like the monsters from Invasion of the Body Snatchers. And we were unable to engineer the cowl to be big enough for her waistline without also falling off of her shoulders. Still, she loved the one I made!

I will now make myself another black "Wahid"!

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #343 on: April 26, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »

Mudcat - your pants are fun. I would have bought a few pair, myself.

Therisa- thanks for all the detail on Wahid/The One. Good on you for making it to your own specifications. That's one thing that's so great about sewing.

I am browsing patterns on a new pattern company (MC2) website. They have blocks/slopers, maternity patterns, and women's patterns. They have many harem pants and other things that I think this group might be interested in. The one that pulled me over here to post is the Harem Style Jumpsuit, which looks like it can be worn several ways. Perhaps a majority of the options are most easily pulled off if you are comfortable going without a bra, which I am not, but it's cute nonetheless. Back to browsing!

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #344 on: April 26, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »

Mudcat, those elephant pants are wonderful! They look great on and i can imagine would cheer a person up - if they were wearing them or seeing someone else do so :)

Therisa, I'm appreciating your writeup on the Wahid as well :)  I'm getting tempted to try my hand at one after seeing your excellent results! 

I had an idea about closing up the cowl whilst wearing it as a shrug. You could put a little buttonhole and buttons for them in the 'neck'seam of the cowl which could be used to keep it more closed up (two or three should do it). Snaps could also work or a drawstring in the 'neck'seam or at the edge of the cowl. Drawstrings would be best if one is in a cooler climate; or if you just like the architectural feature of a drawn up circle in the middle of your back.

Thank you for sharing so much with us! I really like the look of the two Wahids worn at once, too :)

Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »

I am browsing patterns on a new pattern company (MC2) website. They have blocks/slopers, maternity patterns, and women's patterns. They have many harem pants and other things that I think this group might be interested in. The one that pulled me over here to post is the Harem Style Jumpsuit, which looks like it can be worn several ways. Perhaps a majority of the options are most easily pulled off if you are comfortable going without a bra, which I am not, but it's cute nonetheless. Back to browsing!

Every time I see a jumpsuit I have to remind myself why (although I often love the way they look), I don't expect to ever make one again.  Here's the thread from the old SG: "Jumpsuits...Bah, humbug."  Please, before you make one, take a look...

Does anyone want a similar thread here to discuss those issues?

HTH,

Lisa

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #346 on: April 27, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »

I remember that thread well. I'm not a fan of jumpsuits partly because they are unwieldy in the restroom. This one is stretchy, so it wouldn't be so bad in terms of public restrooms. I'd probably only wear it as loungewear, anyway.

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2017, 09:30:03 PM »

Elephun i love the look of that jumpsuit! I'm peeing every hour or two, though, so it's just impractical for me. It's a shame as i love the look.

And that MC2 pattern co has ten different pant patterns, all variations on types of 'harem' or sarouelles styles. Talk about a goldmine for the lagenlooker in search of compatible pants to fill up the closet!

Here's a couple to whet your appetite.

Thank you Elephun!

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2017, 09:39:49 PM »

Thanks for posting that pattern company, Elephun, I had not hear of it before.

Actually, I have been toying with the idea of a jumpsuit lately. Yes, I am over 60 with a BMI of 26 currently, so maybe I am deluded as well.

But ...maybe a harem pants style jumpsuit with just a very loose tank style top would be ok. I had been thinking ponte because it is a little drapey, yet doesn't cling. I have some ponte I am willing to sacrifice in the service of a trial, but then again I may never get around to it. I am currently on holidays with time on my hands but no sewing machine, so this may remain a fantasy when I get back home.

I did like this pattern, although I would make the top loose enough to be able to slip the straps off my shoulders, for bathroom purposes as mentioned in the other thread.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:12:26 AM by Rivergum »

tumblina

• Knits & Wovens
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »

I tagged that harem style jumpsuit to sleep in. I'm hoping it will solve my three main problems (nightgowns end up at my hips, pajama pants give me wedgies, and my shoulders/upper arms get cold). Not necessarily pretty, but neither is the pants+ shirt+robe I'm wearing now :P.
Knits & Wovens because there's always a story
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here