Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To reply to a private message, you must login to the forums and use the messaging system.  If you attempt to answer the email notification, it just bounces to me.

Author Topic: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat  (Read 85416 times)

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
Re: Lagenlook Inspiration & Chat
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2017, 07:58:34 AM »

Not to worry, my blog is not a topic on which my ego can be dented  ;D  but even so, it's always good to receive supportive encouraging comments.  I write on what I'm interested in, and it's my good fortune that other people find it helpful too.  (It wouldn't be in my best interest to tell you the topics which do make me cringe down to pin-sized !)

I do need pockets, in the home for carrying tissues and keys.  Outside my home I carry a basket or a me-made tote, which can get quite full. . .

Pinterest is obviously also something about which we will have to agree to disagree !  I do find it immensely useful to be able to collect together images of things I'm considering - inspiration for styles, patterns of a particular type of garment which I'm choosing between, groups of patterns which could make up a wardrobe and it's helpful to see them together. . .  I too am setting up a new home, and am collecting images of particular items that I want to choose between. I can't draw and have manual limits on writing, and find my computer an excellent way of storing information.   I keep adding to the ways in which I use pinterest.

I expect there are many people on this thread who happily use pinterest to collect lagenlook inspiration.
On the other hand, the 'little bits of chat' social media, like Facebook, twitter, instagram, have no interest at all for me personally. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:56:49 AM by Lisanne »
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »

I enjoy seeing what others are sewing.  I do skip most of the sewing details because I am an experienced dressmaker and have my own way of doing things.  On occasion I search for a particular technique if I'm having problems or want to do something new.

My blog is my personal journal.  Its public only because of the few people who expressed friendly interest in what I'm sewing.  I dont have a great deal of traffic and dont want it.  I blocked as much as possible the search engines and have from time to time completely locked it down to avoid trolls and spammers. 

I have year round allergies.  Pockets are essential for my tissues. 
sdBev

Cynthiacc

• Paid Member
    • The Creative Cafe
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »

I enjoy blogs, and pinterest, and with working full time, do not have a lot of time to surf the net looking for interesting articles. Blogs are usually very interesting, informative and give me that creative jolt needed at times.  Indigo I enjoyed your blog about salted lemons and then went to that blog to look over the recipe etc.  Using Pinterest saves me  time, I would like to try the salted lemon recipe, but have about 5 minutes till I'm back at work. Pinning it on Pinterest marks it for me when I do have the time to explore it further. 

The Lagenlook, it isn't totally for me, but in reading about it here, viewing patterns and ideas that you all have contributed, takes me in a further direction for my own clothing, and some resources that i wasn't aware of.  :)

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
  • Central Coast of NSW Australia
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »

I do enjoy Pinterest for the same reason as Cynthiacc, Lisanne and others. It helps me hang onto an idea for later, or as inspiration for my sewing. It is great for sewing mojo,  I only need to look at my board for a while to feel inspired to go sew something. To determine what the 'something ' should be, I have a list I keep in the Notes app on my iPad. It is not exactly a sewing plan, but I use this to store ideas for what I might want to make, pairing garment styles with specific fabric in my stash. A bonus is that I can then tick off each garment I have completed and feel virtuous!

Regarding pockets, I avoid them on tops, skirts and pants. Mostly because for me it is not worth the time and effort, as I don't use them. In my current life my handbag is always within reach. I do add pockets to jackets and coats though, as I like to park my hands in them.  ;D

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »

Thanks for listening to me and not going into a blocking flurry.

I find things like Pinterest and blogs less efficient than just searching for information on a given topic in duckduckgo. In which case I'll find them anyway. And I find it less efficient to read every article on a topic than to zip to one good article, then if I have any questions search for the answers to those specific questions.

And like, when we designed the kitchen, it wasn't very useful to look at pictures of everyone else's. Aside from the fact that our taste is different from most people's, we have a specific room of a specific size, a specific amount of cookware and food to fit into the cabinets, specific needs for counter space and height, plumbing and gas line in specific locations we preferred not to change if we could avoid it. We had an antique sideboard we wanted to use and to buy a freestanding cupboard and a bookcase, the locations for which were pretty obvious after a little thought. I wanted custom-built oak cabinets and only three places seemed to be selling what we wanted. Two of them did not answer my inquiry emails, which made the third an easy choice. (Crown Point.) My husband and I decided how many drawers versus cupboard areas we wanted, on the basis of what we needed to store and how convenient it needed to be to the stove. He drew up all the specs with detailed measurements in Corel Draw. We sent Crown Point the measurements; we bought the cabinet pulls elsewhere and sent those. After that, all their designer needed to do is  provide minor clarifications, ask questions about things like whether our floor tile would go up to or under the cabinets, and give us a choice on details like cabinet hinges.

I'm not seeing how anyone else designed their kitchen would be relevant. And I'd rather figure things out for myself. It's more fun.

I also think I must organize things mentally more than some people do, because I don't really feel the need to see a lot of photos side by side.  Um, I don't need sewing mojo, I already have more ideas than I can carry out in the next ten years.
Frances Grimble
Books on making historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2017, 05:12:36 AM »

I just received:

http://shonmodern.com/collections/skirts-pants-skirts/products/bvbs001

(it's quite complicated)

and

http://shonmodern.com/collections/skirts-pants-skirts/products/shbs001

(it's pretty simple)

went back and ordered

http://shonmodern.com/collections/dresses-sleeveless/products/chdd001

(I hope it's not really that bright but it is cotton so I can dye it, though probably not the thread which smells like polyester when ironed)

and am considering

http://shonmodern.com/collections/dresses-sleeveless/products/trdd001

and

http://shonmodern.com/collections/dresses-sleeveless/products/brdd001

as simple reproductions.

Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

MaryV

• O/T Politics
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »

Frances, those are beautiful garments - Shon is one of my favorite vendors.  I've been to the Kaliyana store in Toronto where one can see/feel the garments so I know their fabrics are really nice.  Wish they didn't have a 'no return' policy, but I understand it.

MaryV

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »

That diamond dress is lovely!

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2017, 05:07:46 AM »

I can post an analysis later.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »

New to me. Great clothing IMO. Dogstar. Just picked one to share. Click for big pic.

catllar

« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »

Good job we all have different tastes! I prefer simple and chic and a bit fitted. I'd look like an elephant in those really loose garments!

Lisanne

• Paid Member
  • southern England
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2017, 10:02:50 PM »

Yes I wouldn't be happy wearing these unusual shapes myself, but I'm fascinated by how the patterns are made  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Garden Girl

• Paid Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »

Elsewhere they had quite a few that were very fitted, quite sleek.

I really like the unusually shaped garments. We all have to play with proportion and shape, to scale whatever we wear to our own physical uniqueness. I've a very long torso, both above and below waist, and fairly short legs. My feet dangle from a lot of chairs.  ;) I look really good with cropped tops and high waisted pants, as they visually balance me. Odd ball shapes to the garments help too, as they confuse the eye. By that I mean since they are not our typical, everyday, everybody is wearing it shape and proportion they are hard to visually compare to "normal" fashion. So the mind typically treats them as different rather than bad or good. Think about it; with a lot of the odd shaped garments it is much more difficult to determine if it has good fit. Rather it's determining if it has good proportion for that specific wearer.

Step outside of the "rules" and the "rules" no longer apply. Takes new rules, or no rules.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.  :)

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2017, 11:08:13 PM »

Think about it; with a lot of the odd shaped garments it is much more difficult to determine if it has good fit. Rather it's determining if it has good proportion for that specific wearer.

Yes! I'm struggling with this because I love the lagenlook styles but I haven't been completely happy with the proportions of the few things I've made yet. 

I have a couple of pairs of pants from earth creations that seem a better choice for me because they have the details I'm looking for but aren't quite so oversized.  The pants in the first link below fit nicely when I got them but shrank quite a bit the first time I washed them. I need to lose a couple of inches before I can wear them again.

The other pair is similar to the Simone Pant (second link) except the bottom panel is low in the back and high in the front. I wear them with a couple of different handkerchief hem tops that skim the body on top but flow out a bit at the waist and I think that works better for my small boned self.

http://www.earthcreations.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1040

http://www.earthcreations.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=944

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:11 PM »

Rene said: "We all have to play with proportion and shape, to scale whatever we wear to our own physical uniqueness." So very true!

I was in a strange position as a young woman. I received numerous compliments on my figure; yet shopping was (and is) horrible as i don't fit into standard RTW at all. It's been a big impetous behind my sewing all these decades. But, people see what you present to them - the finished product, not all the hours spent fiddling and observing and tweaking, or all the garments discarded in the dressing room.

I'm quite enchanted by the DogStar line! The shapes are very nice, as you say quite a few fitted tops to counter the voluninous skirts and pants. But I especially love the fabric, textures, and colors. Really sophisticated, flattering, easy to wear and unique.

If they don't have a men's line my husband will be distraught .... until he finds a piece or two that will work for guys as well. Then he'll pull the trigger and brazen it out!!!   ;D ;D  Thank you for sharing Rene!

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2017, 01:40:53 AM »

I think we discussed V8976 recently. It's OOP, so doesn't go on sale very often, but OOP patterns are on sale at BMV right now.

I found OOP V8504 on Etsy recently. The tunic has nice shape to it, and it doesn't look like it is horribly oversized. There are several available on the web. I didn't buy one, but wanted to share it here.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2017, 02:12:06 AM »

I have V8504 in my stash but have never made it up. Maybe I should, I have actually been thinking about this pattern lately.

indigotiger

• Paid Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2017, 02:28:42 AM »

what Rene said -
Step outside of the "rules" and the "rules" no longer apply. Takes new rules, or no rules.
really holds true for me... if I was wearing ordinary RTW clothing in my everyday life, I doubt anyone would ever stop me on the street to tell me that they loved my outfit, or to compliment me on how pulled together I looked... but in my "urban fairytale" everyday clothing, I don't look anything like I would as a plump older woman in tight leggings and an sweatshirt, and not only to I like what I see reflected in the shop windows, but other people seem to find it pleasing as well...

new corduroy pinafore
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:32:09 AM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2017, 02:51:01 AM »

Alison said: "really holds true for me... if I was wearing ordinary RTW clothing in my everyday life, I doubt anyone would ever stop me on the street to tell me that they loved my outfit, or to compliment me on how pulled together I looked... but in my "urban fairytale" everyday clothing, I don't look anything like I would as a plump older woman in tight leggings and an sweatshirt, and not only to I like what I see reflected in the shop windows, but other people seem to find it pleasing as well..."

Could not agree more!! Your creations are an utter delight, and i love the ease of wear and practicality you achieve. Those qualities make clothes so much more enjoyable to me, and i think that ease reflects in the presence of the wearer. I'm always analyzing your makes for ideas :)

Also - I would love to see what you would do with some of those Dog Star fabrics ... (drool) !

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2017, 03:35:44 AM »

I don't think I've ever been stopped on the street for a compliment or comment in my entire life, even when I was wearing things like full-on Victorian or Edwardian outfits, let alone Victorianish lagenlook. In the large cities I've lived in, approaching strangers (unless you need to for some reason) is just "not done."  People are just too used to being asked for money, or something.

This is outside the context of stage performances, where people feel free to approach the performers and say anything they want. I can't count the number of times I've been told I'm "adorable." What you get for being short, I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:44:31 AM by FrancesGrimble »
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2017, 03:45:55 AM »

Frances said: " In the large cities I've lived in, approaching strangers (unless you need to for some reason) is just "not done." "

That's interesting. I've been complimented by strangers in San Francisco, of course, but also in Manhattan, Florence, and Berlin. But then i've not traveled much in recent decades, maybe things have changed.

FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2017, 04:10:07 AM »

Well, I've been in San Francisco and other parts of the Bay Area pretty recently. I've lived in Pittsburgh, Boston, the Los Angeles area, and been to a number of other cities including New York and London. What I have always seen is the urban etiquette of people keeping themselves to themselves. It's a good idea, unless there is some emergency where strangers genuinely need each other. If there are so many people around, most of them cannot be part of your personal network. 

Then again, I don't much value compliments on my appearance, especially from strangers. So maybe there have been ones that I forgot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:12:25 AM by FrancesGrimble »
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

indigotiger

• Paid Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2017, 04:40:48 AM »

When I was younger, I dressed in a much more ordinary RTW type of style, but as time has gone by, and I have become more confident in my personal style, that has changed into the quirky (but inoffensive) look seen in my avatar. When dressed in RTW styles as a young person, I never had any interaction with random people on the street, indeed I actively avoided anything like.

I have almost always lived in cities large (Portland my current home, Seattle, Los Angeles, Boston) or small (Eugene, Olympia). Nowadays I would have to say that not a month goes by when I do not get some kind of positive comment about my clothing from a stranger.  Perhaps it is because I use public transit, and am often on foot, that I have more interaction with passers by. This is not my goal in dressing the way I do, but has been an unexpected and surprising side effect. I dress the way I do simply because it pleases me, I find my clothing comfortable, and adaptable to the changeable weather here. If I can add a bit of positive creative whimsey to other peoples lives I consider that to be a harmless good. I also will sometimes compliment someone on the bus, if their outfit looks particularly styled or dapper. It may be that there is just more interaction in the urban neighborhoods I frequent; I know it surprised me when I moved here that a common thing when riding the bus is that as people exit the bus, they say "thank you" to the driver or some similar kind word.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »

This is all so very interesting!

I am really enjoying reading everyone's personal style choices, and challenges with/opinions on wearing RTW.  Rene hit it on the head with her comment on proportions. I often get the same comment that Frances gets, "cute" or "adorable," as I am short and relatively small.

I am trying to finish up SWAP and I have an idea for a Lagenlook-for-me ensemble that I hope to finish before that deadline.  It will probably go along the lines of a tunic, skinny pants, and a cropped sweater. Something like the photo below, but a shorter crop. I really feel that I look best in simpler garments with clean lines. I am giving myself till the end of March to accomplish this one!

5d649ea69e2d1b4e2a6918439572bd84 by wendyr, on Flickr
Wendy

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2017, 06:31:23 PM »

Wendy I love that look and think it will be smashing on you! It's such a chic, easy to wear vibe. Looking forward to seeing your interpretation :)

nancyqw

• Encue Creations
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2017, 04:15:15 AM »

So glad to finally be back on SG.  I've been out of the country, and when I returned realized that I could not longer get on the site.  Finally got it figured out with a little help from DL, so glad to be back.  Just finished a TG Etra dress, which I will post as soon as I get pictures. Am enjoying catching up on the threads.  Indigo Tiger - I always love your looks.

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2017, 04:18:47 AM »

Hi Nancy, so nice you are here! Can't wait to see your new TG piece :)  It is always a treat when IndigoTiger has something new for us, isn't it? But then we can say that about so many here, we are truly fortunate!

elizajo

« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:28 AM »

I've had an interesting experience this winter with a lack of Lagenlook clothes.  I've been wearing totally Lagenlook clothes for around 5 years, but they are getting very ragged from heavy wear.  Sadly, I haven't had the sewing mojo to replace them over the past year, and it was a struggle this winter to put together a few complete outfits.   I went the easy route and bought flannel shirts and sweatpants for everyday wear to get me through the cooler days of winter.  Even though they were cozy, I felt horribly, horribly underwhelming, and not myself! 

Oh My Gauze! is a Lagenlook type line of clothing that my mom found at a local boutique. Their cotton gauze is wearable for about 10 months in my climate, so I was interested to find out I could order direct from their online shop. Their lantern legged pant -the Honey- was on sale, so I ordered a black pair, along with a white tunic top.

I felt so much better in my new Lagenlook outfit.  It was new, not worn, and I felt "put together" as my grandmother would say.  This weekend, I ordered several more outfits to complete my spring and summer wardrobe.  Just finished purging my closet of pieces that were faded, pilling, or frayed.  I was able to save a few me-made Lagenlook outfits for wearing at home.  Now I have some breathing room to sew some layering pieces from my linen stash. 

nancyqw

• Encue Creations
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »

I forgot to post here, but this is my version of the Etra dress. 

I have more pictures and info on my blog.
Blogpost:  Tobin James Dress
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:18:20 PM by nancyqw »

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2017, 06:47:49 AM »

Nancy, I can't access your blog. I would love to have a look. Your dress looks great.

Sizun

• Paid Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »

Nancy, I like your dress ! Thank you so much for all the details about it. The two colors you selected make a great combination. I only hope the eggplant color won't run. The nightgown story made me chuckle. When a young girl still living with my parents we were invited somewhere and I had spent an hour fixing my hair in a sophisticated messy look (the 80s...) and my father said "Hurry ! We're leaving in 10 minutes and your hair is not done yet !" And may I add that my favorite nightgowns are repurposed summer knit dresses ?

Rivergum, I was a bit disappointed because I couldn't have access to the blog either but I googled "Tobin James Dress" and I was able to see the post
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:38:13 AM by Sizun »

One Dress A Month Sew Along

nancyqw

• Encue Creations
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »

OH!  Thanks for the heads up.  Let me make sure the post isn't marked private..

nancyqw

• Encue Creations
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »

Funny story, Sizun.  Thanks for letting me know about the link.  It is fixed now (hopefully).  I accidentally put a link to my editing page, so of course, it didn't work. 
I really like that dress, so I may try it again in a tunic length.  I did wash both pieces of linen before sewing, so hopefully all the running is finished.  I may throw a "color catcher" in the wash the next time I wash it.  I love those things.

mrseccentric

• O/T Politics
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »

Nancy, i love that dress and would be excited to see it made up as a tunic :)

I took some pictures of the full linen pockets skirt in action.  Here's a link to the album with more pictures.  It's been in heavy rotation as it's very easy to wear  and has pockets. I'm fairly happy with it and will make more versions with some subtle changes. I prefer it with the 1 1/2" elastic waistband folded over so i'll take that out of the yoke next time. I'll also give more of a flare to the underskirt and take a bit of the fullness out of the top tier of ruffles so as to give a more distinct A-line to the skirt overall.

But i'll keep the pockets - they've quite functional and give a fun line to the skirt.

Rivergum

• O/T Politics
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2017, 08:14:58 PM »

Thanks Sizun for the pointer to Nancy's post. Made it very easy.

Nancy, that dress is lively and I especially like it with the ties. I'm a sucker for a wonky hemline. When that becomes dated I will probably cry buckets.

Mrs Eccentric, that is a great outfit. I couldn't carry off the skirt though, to much width in the hips. You must be very slim for it to look this good.

Talking of slim, I have lost 8kg in the last 2 months, so feeling rather pleased with myself. 6 more to go. It is one of the ironies of life that Lagenlook looks better on slim people, probably like every other clothing style. I have already lost 5cm from the bust, which is the most important area of the body for the way I dress, as waist and hips are hidden. I might start posting pics again soon as I get more confident about my shape. My weight had blown out really badly over the last couple of years.

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here