Author Topic: Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat  (Read 89053 times)

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
Lagenlook, Arty & non-Mainstream Inspiration & Chat
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:14 AM »
I miss our Lagenlook talk.  :)  Did you see that Sizun posted a gorgeous skirt she made from a Marcy Tilton pattern? Yummy.

KatiKoos has a ton of new Spring Krista Larson recently arrived in the store. I spoke to DH about it yesterday and I'm planning a trip to Modesto to see the new store. It will probably be a couple of months still, so I'll let you all know in case some of you would like to meet up with me there.

ETA: you might notice I changed the title of our thread. I almost called it this from the get go, as really, we are talking about and interested in the fashions that follow their own path, not mainstream fashion. Certainly, at times there is crossover and collaboration with mainstream fashion, but often we gravitate to styles that leave a lot of people shaking their heads. Well, here, on this thread, is a place for those of us nodding in agreement.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:33:39 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
Re: Lagenlook Inspiration & Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:38:47 AM »
Rene - I wish I lived closer, that sounds like a delightful field trip!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
I've already commented on your croquis, but I think your avatar is the cutest of all.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline auntnina

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
I've already commented on your croquis, but I think your avatar is the cutest of all.

Agreed!
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Never throw out anyone." Audrey Hepburn

Offline auntnina

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:46:32 PM »
I was a regular reader of the original Lagenlook thread, but don't think I ever contributed. Since my personal style is heading in that direction, I'm going to try to participate a bit on this new thread.

A bit of background: my younger self preferred a classic look. I wore a lot of sheath style dresses, crisp button down shirts with blazers, cardigan sweaters, cropped cigarette leg pants,  stiletto heels, ballet flats, and pencil skirts. I loved the clothes worn by Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Onassis and almost anything from J Crew.

Now, I'm older. I'm no longer working and rarely have any reason to dress up in what I think of as "lady clothes". My body has changed, too. I'm softer and slightly rounder than I once was. I've also discovered that I'm more creative and artistic than I once believed. For several years, I've felt that my wardrobe didn't match me any more, but was hesitant to start all over.

Then, I got sick. Sicker, actually, because I had been sick for awhile, but then things really went haywire for awhile. I lost more weight than I would have liked, and, even after things stabilized, found that my Banana Republic and Ann Taylor jackets were too big, my pants looked loose on me, and the idea of a crisp, button down shirt sounded uncomfortable. Clothes with softer edges and a different silhouette appealed to me even more than before and, since I hardly had anything to wear anyway, why not really start over with a new wardrobe?

To that end, I have been buying fabric (oh, have I been buying fabric) and working on fitting new-to-me patterns. When this year's SWAP started, I felt I was ready to plan a small wardrobe and get started on it. I still have not sewn a "keeper", but have refined some patterns and tested out a few new ones and am now ready to cut into the "good stuff" (lots of merino and wool jersey) and start sewing my new cold weather wardrobe.

I'm really drawn to designs from Rundholz, Rick Owens, Sarah Pacini, Daniela Gregis, Eileen Fisher, and Natalie Chanin. I like a long silhouette that emphasizes the waist, mostly in black, with charcoal, dove grey, red, wine, and white. I don't think I care for ruffles (though I may change my mind) and will wear leggings or skinny pants instead of panataloons. I'll be starting simple this year, with some basics like leggings, tunics, and maxi or midi length skirts, but hope to add pieces each year so that I have lots of layering options that all work together.

I hope that the others who contributed to the previous Lagenlook thread will find their way here. I really loved following the exchange of ideas and inspiration.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:55:27 PM by auntnina »
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Never throw out anyone." Audrey Hepburn

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 10:32:21 PM »
Auntnina- welcome to the lagenlook thread!

My own style is a bit eclectic and difficult to describe. I like tailored combined with artsy, modern or vintage, and quirky, but always comfortable. Full-on lagenlook (whatever that means, right?) isn't really my style, but I love and wear some of the garment shapes, so I read and participate here. I appreciate the freedom, creativity and fun of it.

Offline MaryV

• O/T Politics
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:51:25 AM »
Hi auntnina,
I too like the clean lines of Rundholz, Eileen Fisher, Gregis and find Sewing Workshop patterns that give me that classic look with a twist.  Check out Tina Givens patterns too, although there are some ruffles to deal with.  I think the Japanese lagenlook is more my style.

MaryV

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:09:06 AM »
Tessuti Fabrics has some Lagenlook patterns. They just issued a new pattern for the Iris Dress. http://tessuti.blogspot.com.au/

Folkwear has some patterns suitable for Lagenlook: www.folkwear.com

They changed hands a couple of weeks ago, and are talking about releasing new patterns. But not when or what the patterns are.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:33:47 AM by FrancesGrimble »
Frances Grimble
Books on making historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 05:34:12 AM »
On the old board someone was asking about the Krista Larson Underpinning Skirt, especially the filmy white under ruffle. I described a skirt I have that does not have any under ruffle. I am still unpacking my stuff. I recently came across another Underpinning Skirt I had forgotten all about. This one does have a longer under ruffle but it is the same fabric as the skirt, a brown and white pinstripe cotton. The edges of both the under and upper ruffle are stitched once and otherwise, the edges are raw. I don't think the matching under ruffle adds much (except some bulk) because you can't tell there are two ruffles unless you really look. So I'd still do any under ruffle in a contrasting fabric.

As you can tell, Krista Larson does change her designs somewhat from time to time but keeps the old name.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »
I consider my personal style a variety of lagenlook, and I get a lot of inspiration from the designer Gudrun Sjoden. Her pieces are often but not always slightly embellished, but without the kind of ruffles, tucks, and unfinished edges that are part of a different "branch" of the lagenlook tree

While I do not choose to wear the bright colors that are a characteristic of much of her work, I love the way she designs garments that work and layer together. I also love that her images show models of varying ages and types.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline auntnina

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
I consider my personal style a variety of lagenlook, and I get a lot of inspiration from the designer Gudrun Sjoden. Her pieces are often but not always slightly embellished, but without the kind of ruffles, tucks, and unfinished edges that are part of a different "branch" of the lagenlook tree

I do see the Gudrun Sjoden influence in your wardrobe, Indigotiger.

There are definitely many branches in the Lagenlook tree. Isn't it nice to find the one(s) that fit your aesthetic?

Offline Cynthiacc

• Subscribed Member
    • The Creative Cafe
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »
Reading all the responses makes me smile and thank my lucky stars that I sew!  We have such freedom, pick a little from that style, combine it with another style or designer and we have what fits us best!

Cynthia

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »
Many of Gundrun Sjoden's styles are pretty basic lagenlook, you can find the patterns. What is distinctive is her choices of colors and color combinations. I like this sweater:

http://www.gudrunsjoden.com/us/clothes/products/inspiration/spring-2017/plain-cosy

but not the colors it is available in. I'd like to find a similar sweater somewhere.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:29 PM »
I just posted this over at Pattern Review on a thread called "can we talk about proportions?" I thought it might be useful here. I was speaking of Gudrun Sjoden.

Their website is difficult to navigate. The colors of the featured clothes, while energetic and delightful, are too too much for most people (me included). They have more subdued colors as well, but they are not generally featured.

With a bit of persistence, one can find a somewhat useful pop-up screen about each clothing item on the site, containing various photos (some even have feet), a line drawing of the item, line drawings of other similar or coordinating items, contents, some dimensions, etc. Here's what the pop-up looks like for one tunic:

edited for clarity :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:47:11 PM by Elephun »

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 10:55:19 PM »
Many of Gundrun Sjoden's styles are pretty basic lagenlook, you can find the patterns. What is distinctive is her choices of colors and color combinations. I like this sweater:

http://www.gudrunsjoden.com/us/clothes/products/inspiration/spring-2017/plain-cosy

but not the colors it is available in. I'd like to find a similar sweater somewhere.

The sweater is really nice, Frances.

I can't quite remember. Do you have certain colors that you build your wardrobe with, or is your technique more organic, for want of a better term?

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:55 AM »
I wear fall colors because they are what look good on me. There are very few shades of blue and only one or two shades of purple I can wear. Mostly I wear oranges, the warmer reds, golds, greens, and browns. Also warm off-whites because I need something whitish on occasion, but no black. I prefer colors on the muddy side but I do wear bright clear ones sometimes. I try to make sure that most things I wear color coordinate pretty well with most other things I wear.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 01:02:24 AM »
Thanks, Fran. Sounds lovely!
I suppose this time of year isn't the best for buying off the rack for you. It's not great for me, either, but I do wear black and that is usually available to some degree year round.

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:10 AM »
I don't remember seeing this before, so I thought I'd share it here. Oska explains Oska silhouettes A, BOX, H, O, V
https://minneapolis.oska.com/en/silhouettes/

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 02:35:30 AM »
I missed our Lagenlook thread too! Tried to post here earlier today but the site kept timing out. :( Fingers crossed that everything will be okay with this new version of SG.

Rene, wow, I really wish I could meet up with you at Kati Koos! That sounds like so much fun. You'll have to give a detailed report. I've been happily checking out all the new Krista Larson stuff she's been posting on FB. I am seriously in love with the grey and black striped cotton fabric (she seems to always have versions of this)! I would kill to get my greedy hands on something similar...

auntnina, thanks for sharing your style evolution story. :) I love your SWAP storyboard and those styles should look great on you. Can't wait to see what you sew.

As others have said, there really are so many different Lagenlook variations. I remember reading the entire first Lagenlook thread all the way through before I joined this forum in 2013. I recall that some pretty vocal posters viewed real Lagenlook as the sort of shaped garments you might see from Marcy Tilton patterns, and the ruffled types of Lagenlook were sort of looked down on (but not by everyone, of course). My own understanding of Lagenlook is that it is a layered look, but with maybe nontraditional shapes or lengths or garment combinations layered together. Such as the dress with pants, etc. (Though I suppose that shape is plenty traditional in certain parts of the world.)

I am drawn to all the ruffles and tucks but I'm not sure I actually like wearing much in the way of ruffles! Likewise, I love the look of raw edges... but I had a (favorite) skirt with raw edges and it drove me nuts always picking off stray threads. Still, I did love it. I like silhouettes with some waist or at least torso definition as opposed to loose all over. I like mori girl, Krista Larson, Sarah Clemens, Alabama Chanin (not Lagenlook per se but she has shown some interesting layered looks in the past), Rundholz, and more. I love some of the Magnolia Pearl pieces too. I love the interesting patterned fabrics and fabric combinations from Gudrun Sjoden, too. When I worked in retail back in the day, I always liked the new Eileen Fisher collections when we got them in. But her clothes never looked good on me, just a shapeless sack (though maybe she has pieces that I would like now, I don't know). Right here on this site, indigotiger, Dashing Eccentric, and twotoast are also big style inspirations for me!

Anyway, Frances, I was the one asking about the underpinning skirt, and I appreciate the additional info! I think I will make my version without the ruffle underlay this time (though I could always add it later).

I checked out the link you shared for the sweater on the Gudrun Sjoden site. Wow, I really like it too! Now I am trying to figure out if I could make something similar for myself. I also saw a pale lilac (? I'm never sure about shades of purple/pink colors) cotton organdy slip that I really really want to buy... so tempted.

Here is some more eye candy/inspiration - twotoast posted 12 days of Tina Givens outfits on her blog a couple weeks ago. I seriously love her plaid dress! (TG Daffodil)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:37:15 AM by M lambie »

Offline Tamnymore

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
Hi All,
You have such great ideas about the lagenlook style. I'm very much drawn to that style and I've acquired many, many Marcy and Katherine Tilton patterns from Vogue and Butterick over the years which artsy/lagenlook. My favourite ever trousers (I'm British so pants mean something else to me!!) pattern is  by Marcy Tilton and I must have made about 8 pairs from this pattern. Lynn Mizono patterns are also very, very appealing. She has two dress patterns in the Vogue collection which get rave reviews in pattern review and elsewhere. Great design.

Habibe Acikgoz's Bold and Beautiful patterns (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bold-Beautiful-Easy-Sew-Habibe-Acikgoz/dp/1906417849) are very much in the lagenlook style. You have to print out the pieces and stick 'em together and the patterns are most definitely NOT easy but they are very original and it's worth persevering

Offline Becca_doll

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
Ohh GardenGirl I've talked to my partner about doing a day trip to Modesto at some point ...I'd be rather keen to do a meet up  :)

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 10:54:40 PM »
Elephun, for many years I've been almost entirely free of any issue of what colors are in fashion in any given season. For one thing I don't care if they are in fashion or not, or whether I wear fall colors in another season. And I don't buy most of my RTW in department stores. What I do buy I buy online, and it's generally from eBay or Etsy. I do buy some sweaters from various smaller stores like Anthropologie.  For sewing, I buy fabric that I like when I see it. I put it in my stash and use it when appropriate. I also do a lot of dyeing. I dye my T-shirts and socks and have dozens of each. I have some very long pieces of plain or textured linen and cotton fabric in various weights. I cut pieces off to dye either at need, or when I have discovered an especially successful dye combination and want some fabric in that color.  I also sometimes redye other fabrics from my stash when I realize, I'm just not going to wear that color. Likewise if I buy a garment or fabric online and it just does not resemble the picture I saw on my monitor.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 05:19:08 AM »

Frances, is this the sweater? I like the styling too. It's 17.5" long, in medium, and cotton, my favorite sweater material. Is that what you want, or a bit longer? I really like the little shorty sweaters like this. I realize on you as made this would actually be longer. :) The same sweater would look totally different on the two of us.

I actually think the colors are pretty, but not really right for me. The outfit on the girl on the bench is adorable. The leggings are yummy. I think something similar to this sweater would work up nicely on my knitting machine, assuming I can ever get the knack of it.  ;)

I like this little wrap cardi from Ottobre 5/2012. It's considered an easy sew. On me it hits much higher up.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:24:13 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 05:21:56 AM »
Ohh GardenGirl I've talked to my partner about doing a day trip to Modesto at some point ...I'd be rather keen to do a meet up  :)

Becca! I've missed you, you've been away for sometime. When we get closer I'll let you know.  ;D That would be fun!

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:33 AM »
It's the page I linked to, Garden Girl. I'd buy that sweater if either of the colors looked good on me. Great for berry sorbet, but not for me to wear. I love crop tops and RTW ones are easy for me to wear, considering my neck to waist length is only an inch shorter than the standard of the Big Four.

You seem to think being petite is some alien condition that causes all kinds of problems. I actually have a very standard shaped figure and don't have to adjust anything on Big Four patterns but waist length, sleeve length, waist to hip length (on fitted skirts only) and skirt length. As for everyone else, there are some styles I don't look good in and others I just don't like, but I have no more wardrobe restrictions than any other person. When I buy ready-to-wear, I don't really have to buy from a petites line except for a fitted dress with a defined waist.  Which is good, because I have often bought a Misses and a Petites size online to look at two different colors and when I compare the measurements, much of the time they are *exactly the same*. If the manufacturer changes anything it's usually that the skirt is a little longer. In RTW I usually have to take up long sleeves (not 3/4 or short sleeves), and skirts *if* I want to, but I often prefer a longer skirt when very short ones are in fashion, so then I don't. Not a problem considering I've been hemming and shortening sleeves ever since I was 16.

Thanks, but I don't care much for the Ottobre pattern. It has an air of not fitting and you can't quite be sure if it is intentional. Also, I don't much like sewing easy patterns.

Though the Gundrun Sjoden would be easy to draft and although it also would be easy to sew, combined with the drafting it might make an interesting project. It's very ethnic looking and I was really into drafting those patterns at one point.

ETA:  Actually, I think I'll do it. I just bought several yards each of three different cotton cable knits, all dyeable.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:05:32 AM by FrancesGrimble »
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »
Mary, thanks for the link to the tartan dress by TwoToast. What a super dress.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:24:58 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline cindyha

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »
I love the Lagenlook style, and would love to put together an entire layered outfit. 

For example, M lambie, I love what you're wearing in your profile picture.

What patterns and fabrics could one use to get the look?  Any ideas where to start?

What is an "underpinning" skirt?  Does it refer to the skirt used in the bottom layer?  Should that be lighter weight than the skirt that is on the outside, or vice versa?

I'm in my 50's, slightly curvy, and don't think I look good in ruffles, so I try to avoid too much frill.

Thanks!
Cindy

Offline auntnina

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 04:51:54 PM »
Kind of off topic: has The Dashing Eccentric (aka Stephanie, I think) made an appearance here yet? I love the things she makes and expected that this thread would be one of the first that she would visit. Has anybody been in contact with her?

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
Great to be back!

I have made a test garment of https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1410 which I'll probably wear over pants.  On patternreview.com, there were comments that the shoulders and neck were large so I copied that part from something that I knew fit.  I also found that I need to adjust the position of the rectangles which are stitched on the folds.  [There is also a cute little girls version of this dress.]

The bubble shape is created by buttonholes in the seam allowance at the hem and buttons on the side seam allowance at various levels in the garment.  I'm going to add a 4th, lower button.  I have not yet resolved what I am going to do about the tie that creates the folds at the front.  The pattern recommends elastic cording and a cord lock.  Perhaps I'll just make cording and tie or knot it.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 06:52:24 PM »
I heart that pattern, Susan. What type/color of fabric are you using?

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline FrancesGrimble

• O/T Politics
    • Lavolta Press
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
The Underpinning Skirt is the name of a style by Krista Larson. It's her standard basic skirt shape. A long skirt with a modest A-line, widened in back (I'd suggest slashing and spreading the back of a modest A-line pattern) with elastic across the back to make the same one-size skirt fit a variety of sizes. The distinctive part of that style is that there is front seaming that splits into a triangle shape partway down, and the seam and hem edges are left raw except for the turndown at the top (her skirts don't usually have actual waistbands). There is a ruffle at the bottom, sometimes two depending on the year she made the skirt, with the under ruffle being either the skirt fabric or a filmy white fabric that gives an impression of a longer petticoat being worn underneath.

Here is this season's model, and it looks like she does not have the front triangle seaming in this one. Also the filmy under ruffle is not white.

http://kristalarson.com/shop/clothing/skirts/underpinning-skirt/

These are not meant to be petticoats. Although because Krista Larson outfits have several layers, if you wear the whole look, they can certainly wind up as the bottom layer with a dress or "slip" (her style is a sleeveless dress, not really a slip) on top and quite likely a cami (a loose vest, not underwear) or a cropped sweater on top of that.
Frances Grimble
www.lavoltapress.com

Offline Manuela

• former
  • Subscribed Member
  • Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 03:53:29 AM »
Kind of off topic: has The Dashing Eccentric (aka Stephanie, I think) made an appearance here yet? I love the things she makes and expected that this thread would be one of the first that she would visit. Has anybody been in contact with her?

I searched and found Mrs Eccentric on facebook, and left a message. Hope she'll get it. I tried to contact her via her blog, but didn't succed leaving a message.

Offline auntnina

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
I searched and found Mrs Eccentric on facebook, and left a message. Hope she'll get it. I tried to contact her via her blog, but didn't succed leaving a message.

Thanks, Manuela. Hopefully she'll find us here soon.