• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 08, 2020, 12:33:20 am

News:

If the login link isn't  appearing on the top of the front page, use these links to access it:
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=login 

Notification emails

Started by Simone, June 30, 2017, 07:19:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Simone

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but I don't know where to post it.
Whenever I post a reply to a topic, I get a notification email when someone else replies. I find that very annoying and would like to turn that function off. I seem to be able to do that only via the link provided in the email. That link brings me back to the site, and I then can decide whether or not I want notifications. Is there an easier way to do that? How can I opt out?
Thank you
Simone

vtmartha

I was inadvertently having the same issue, Simone.  Then I noticed the notify button right next to the reply button.  Maybe I was hitting them both?  I've never had this happen before.  Can't remember how I opted out of this notifications but I think it may have been when I received it.  Someone else will know the specifics.

Simone

Thank you very much. Of course I got an email notifying me about your reply  ::), but your reply solved the problem. I do find it strange that this is an op-out feature though.
Once again, thank you 

vtmartha

Happy to help!  :) I'm not sure it is opt out, Simone.  I was only being notified of postings in a few of the threads I'd posted to.  In my case, I'm pretty sure it was a slip of the finger.  It was confusing to me because I'd never had that happen before and I thought it was notifying me of personal messages, but there were none.

Simone

Given that I just received an email notification to your reply, clicking "unnotify" hasn't worked. Don't know what to do, probably best to move those emails into the spam folder and hope the problem disappears that way. On other fora I can change settings in the "my profile" section, that doesn't seem to work here. I can see a "modify profile" tab, but nothing happens when I click it. Does anyone else has the same problem? I really don't want to get emails each time I post something.
If it can't be changed, I rather go back to lurking. Moderators/admin, if this setting is default, please feel free to delete my profile.
Thank you
Simone

vtmartha

June 30, 2017, 08:26:05 am #5 Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:30:29 am by vtmartha
I hate to post again, Simone, but I just 'noticed' something.  The notify option on my side was on.  Is it possible that such would notify everyone who posted on that thread that I had posted?  That would be dreadful!  Anyway, I changed the setting and am hoping you don't get a notification for this post.  (Check your spam.  ;))

After I posted this, I noticed that the button says 'unnotify' again.  I have no idea but I'm sorry!  ???

And..  I just turned 'notifications' off in my profile.  I can't imagine how they got turned on.  Not something I opt for either.

Simone

I don't think it works that way vtmartha. I had to go back to the notification email that leads me to the "unnotify" option to atop the emails for this thread, even though I chose the "unnotify" button here before. Given that this happens with every thread I am posting in (thank goodness there are just a ew) I don't think I want to participate in other threads.

sewvt

If you go into "profile" (on the little strip below the top banner: home, help, search, profile ...), then click on Notifications in the box at the left, then unclick/clear the box that says " Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" and then the "save settings" button, you should have it.  I think it's turned on by default in this new version - at least it was when it was making me crazy  ;D

Simone

Thank you, I found the profile tab and the modify profile tab. However, nothing happens when I click either of them, I can just see a summary of my profile.
I think I spent enough time on trying to change these settings, it's just not worth it. I don't want to be spammed with emails about replies in each new thread I post in. I rather go back to lurking.
Not sure how to contact admin or mods, there is no option for that either. Admin, if you read this, feel free to delete my profile, I go back to reading only here, and posting on PR.

DragonLady

I've fixed it for you, Simone.
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Simone

Thank you, I don't understand why I can't change settings and preferences myself  ???
I see a modify profile tab, but when I click it, nothing happens. Only a profile summary is displayed. I see others having personal avatars, signatures and things like that. Do we need to apply for profle changes to admin, like messaging or emailing an avatar picture?

DragonLady

QuoteDo we need to apply for profle changes to admin, like messaging or emailing an avatar picture?

No; that shouldn't be. 

You should be able to modify your profile.  I'll look into it tonight.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Simone

Thank you. I still get notification emails, just got one for this topic. Again I had to unnotify via the link in the email. This is now the third or fourth time I did it for this topic. I give up now, can you please delete my profile. I didn't expect to be spammed like this when I signed up, my mistake.
Thank you

DragonLady

For anyone who wants to turn off the notifications:

1) Open your profile (the button next to search on the upper bar under the news ticker).

2) Go to the "Modify Profile" tab, and scroll down to "Notifications".

3) Untick the box next to "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic."

4) Hit the "Save Settings" button.

As this is a board default setting now, if you clear your cookies, you may have to repeat all four steps.

DragonLady

Quote from: Simone on June 30, 2017, 06:55:59 pm
Thank you. I still get notification emails, just got one for this topic. Again I had to unnotify via the link in the email. This is now the third or fourth time I did it for this topic. I give up now, can you please delete my profile. I didn't expect to be spammed like this when I signed up, my mistake.
Thank you

When I open your profile, I see:

QuoteYou aren't receiving notifications on any boards right now.

To request notifications from a specific board, click the "notify" button in the index of that board.

So it is turned OFF.  I would guess that any notifications you've received were sent before I fixed it.

However, if you want your account deleted, I can do that for you.  I will not, however, remove any of the posts you've made so far or topics  you've started.

Elephun

Quote from: Simone on June 30, 2017, 06:34:13 pm
Thank you, I don't understand why I can't change settings and preferences myself  ???
I see a modify profile tab, but when I click it, nothing happens. Only a profile summary is displayed. I see others having personal avatars, signatures and things like that. Do we need to apply for profle changes to admin, like messaging or emailing an avatar picture?

Simone- if you are trying to change your profile from your phone, that could be the problem. Regular posting is easy on phone and computer, but profile changes are impossible on the phone for me. I have to go to my computer to do those things.

Lisa

One problem that often occurs is that on some screens you have to scroll down to get to the "Save Settings" button.  And if you don't click that button, nothing that you've changed gets saved. :o ::) :'(

Just a thought,

Lisa

Simone

Quote from: Elephun on June 30, 2017, 09:57:52 pm
Simone- if you are trying to change your profile from your phone, that could be the problem. Regular posting is easy on phone and computer, but profile changes are impossible on the phone for me. I have to go to my computer to do those things.

Thank you Elephun, that did the trick. I am finally on an actual computer and able to modify the settings.
Thanks to everyone who helped.
Simone

Elephun

I'm happy it worked for you!