• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 05, 2020, 01:32:11 pm

News:

Gift yourself or a friend with a subscription to Stitcher's Guild!  Only $35.00 for a year of sewing advice, discussions, contests, inspiration, sew-a-longs, and so much more!

SG is still a wonderful place!

Started by fzxdoc, June 24, 2017, 03:02:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fzxdoc

June 24, 2017, 03:02:57 pm Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:07:13 pm by fzxdoc
As I read the negative comments posted throughout the site on various topics about how there is an "undercurrent of nastiness", or that members, longtime or newer, no longer feel comfortable here, I am distressed. A few of us Founding Mothers are still here, and we originally set the tone and culture of this site to be one of mutual respect and a generous spirit.

No site can maintain such a high standard all of the time. But this site still does. Believe it. Count the number of generous, helpful posts and the number of posts from snarky people. The better far outweigh the bitter. Far outweigh.

I think that some of our members are letting a few insensitive, self-focused posters ruin their experience here instead of just ignoring them. That makes me really sad. I hate for anyone to come onto this site and have less than a positive experience. But I believe that each of us is in control of our experience; each of us can make it positive for ourselves.

In addition, I would ask that many of you who are critical of us mods/admins for not censoring or removing posts cut us a bit of slack.

In the first place, SG has had, for many years, the reputation of being a pleasant place to visit. Even so, there has always been the occasional heated discussion or the occasional meanspirited poster. But only within the past several months have some snarky people seemed to hold sway, and that has most often been in the political topics.

Yes, those same snarky people invade other topics. All of this is saddening. And all of this has been a real challenge to those of us whose job it is to maintain the respectful tone of the site. We mods/admins find ourselves not being consistent in our judgements because we're human--what sounds like a slam to one mod seems like earnest debate to another.

But we keep trying. We discuss issues among ourselves and try to manage incidents on a case-by-case basis. You all do not see all that goes on behind the curtains here. It's not always easy, and we admins/mods don't always agree with each other. But we try to come to some sort of compromise and continue on with our best efforts. We are not negligent. We do not "allow" snarky topics to continue. They distress us just as much as they distress many of you. But we have to be fair. We give our members the opportunity to resolve their conflicts quickly and if they don't, we lock the topics.

But to slam the entire site--a site filled with really good people and moderated by people who do their very best to respect opinions and moderate with as light a hand as possible so as not to slide into censorship, seems way harsh.

This is still a great site. It is overwhelmingly visited by members who are good, kind, and talented; loyal members who have been here for years, as well as newer members. It is upsetting to read the comments of those who would swipe across it with one large paintbrush, tarnishing the hundreds of good people with the tar meant for the handful of insensitive, meanspirited people who come and go.

Kathryn

My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

laurasj

Thanks Kathryn, for speaking up for Stitchers Guild, your fellow mods, and all the really nice members here. Please don't get discouraged, I think that if everyone still here is like you, the site will bounce back from some few negative feelings.

I think it takes a lot of effort to keep good online conversations going--I feel that I'm not very good at it, and as a consequence, am pretty quiet here. I'll try harder!

WendyW

I still Love Stitcher's Guild and will continue to recommend it to others. I'm not a frequent poster, but I have always gotten wonderful advice when needed, and lots of encouragement when needed. I have learned a TON here, both from the personal advice from others and from the outside sites I've seen recommended. I've backed off on a lot of the content simply because I've hit a plateau where I need to really internalize and use all I've learned before moving onwards and upwards to the next level, where ever that might be. This is by far the best sewing site I've come across, and we shouldn't let a few sour grapes spoil the lovely wine that is produced here. Many thanks to Kathryn, Dragonlady, and the other moderators!

vtmartha

I agree with Laura and Wendy.  I haven't actually noticed much snark, which concerns me as I hate to think I might be a participant.  I hope having alternate ideas won't be misconstrued as obstruction.  I have observed a few heated discussions between participants who seemed perfectly capable of holding their own and thus not an issue for me.

Lyn-J

Kathryn, I appreciate the work that you and the rest of the mods do, it must be really hard at times. I have received so much good advice here in the past, which is why I stay. I don't believe SG is up to full speed since it re-booted. Some of the older members haven't found us yet, or are unable to sign up.  Here's hoping it returns to its former self.

DragonLady

QuoteI don't believe SG is up to full speed since it re-booted.

We do still have issues, and I am still working on them.

However, right now, there are a LOT of forums with very active topics about "crickets".  It seems that with so many other social media outlets, a lot of established forums are seeing drastic changes in the numbers of active posters, the numbers of topics posted in specific intervals, the numbers of replies a topic averages.

It's not just SG; although SG's other issues are probably making it more obvious to the members who are here on a regular basis. 

I believe it's cyclical, and that established, well known communities will see an equal resurgence in popularity in time.  I think it's really just human nature to occasionally take a break from routine, and many new sites crop up that are shiny and exciting. Some of the new places will thrive, and we'll see their influence in various ways; including losing a few members to them. But in time, many of those will also fail, and we'll see the influx of newcomers looking for a "home" when they do.

At the end of the day, I don't see any of it as a cause for concern. 
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Lisa Laree

I'm among those who believe SG is a great, helpful place.  There are some...personalities...that have grated on each other and therefore those around them from time to time, but, you know, that's going to happen in a public forum.  Shoot, that's probably going to happen in any group with more than a dozen or so participants.  Thanks to our Mods and Dragon Lady for working so hard to keep the sparks contained. 

Which reminds me...it's time to make the Annual Contribution...

:-)

Judith

I agree with everyone. I think the mods do an amazing job of keeping things civil without resorting to wrist slapping. And frankly I haven't noticed much acrimonious chatter. Yeah every once in a while someone looses their cool. But that's so rare that it isn't even noticeable.
Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Bookish

Count me in too... I love this site and have learned so much from it.  From doll clothes to Style Arc, talk about covering all the bases!

I think that when the site was down for such a long time, several regulars either didn't find us or got out of the habit of visiting... which happens with friends, book clubs, any group.  But we got new people who are lovely to get to know. 
And also, people stop sewing, or stop blogging or whatever and this will change the make up too.  I also must confess to being puzzled by the references to all the acrimony... ah well, not the first time I've missed the boat!

I know there have been and probably will be bad apples, human nature being what it is as Miss Marple would say.  BUT hats off and deep curtsies to DL and the Mods for all you do.  I think you do a wonderful job... please know you're appreciated.  In Judith's wonderful words, you keep us civil without wrist slapping.

Connie

KarenDee

I also want to give a shout out to DL, Kathryn, and Lisa --as well as any other moderators, for the wonderful service they provide all of us. As a very diverse population, we atill have in common our love of sewing. I still think we as a site are slightly in the rebuilding phase after the shut down. Even the name changes and hard to add avatars have made continuity a bit harder to achieve. I for one choose to enjoy those of you who contipribute in the way you choose; i can easily ignore the malcontents.

SG "Sister" Karendee

washi

June 24, 2017, 09:13:12 pm #10 Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:12:45 pm by washi

Elephun

I love the site and get a lot from it. I make great effort to contribute. I appreciate the work the moderators and Dragonlady do here.

I am in agreement with what vtmartha has said here:

Quote from: vtmartha on June 24, 2017, 03:37:58 pm
I agree with Laura and Wendy.  I haven't actually noticed much snark, which concerns me as I hate to think I might be a participant.  I hope having alternate ideas won't be misconstrued as obstruction.  I have observed a few heated discussions between participants who seemed perfectly capable of holding their own and thus not an issue for me.

I do think when there is less activity on the site, the more difficult conversations tend to stand out. So, please keep posting, or consider starting to post if you are lurking now.

Melinda_B

I love SG, and really missed it when it was down.   I come here for the sewing and rarely visit the chatter discussions.

Having run online groups previously, I am aware of how much work is involved.  Huge thank you to Dragonlady and all the Admins/Moderators who work to keep this group going.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Lisanne

Yes, many thanks for all the work.  And for the pleasures of visiting the site.

Do remember the 'ignore' facility under your Profile > Modify profile.

I am sorry political content has increased, and keep well clear from all threads with a political title.

But surprising topics can set people off.  I can remember passionate and insulting comments about whether or not to have a mock fly !  Who would have thought. . .

And I do think all the problems with posting photos for SWAP have discouraged some.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

ejvc

I'm not posting as much because I've been sucked into machine knitting. But I'm thinking this may be the Summer of Sew! I LOVE my 6PAC threads and think the posters on them are dynamite! I've been an SG member and poster for 10 years almost, I've learned more from this board than anywhere and am not moving on :-)
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc  and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.  Deleted my insta account - hate the way Facebook (who own Instagram) treats my personal info so not giving it any more.

Sew Ruthie Sews

I have noticed fewer topics I am interested in, but enough to still keep me coming to have a look.
I also read a lot of blogs still and post intermittently to mine.
I'm currently on a journey to learn more about my personal style which is taking time away from sewing. I also bought some RTW.
However I am following on a few threads and will share items there when I have something to show.
I spent many months sewing for my charity craft stall but did not make much money for the charity and that left me a bit flat.

Thanks is to those who keep the site going, as owner, mods and thoughtful participants.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Linda75142

Quote from: DragonLady on June 24, 2017, 03:48:59 pm

However, right now, there are a LOT of forums with very active topics about "crickets".  It seems that with so many other social media outlets, a lot of established forums are seeing drastic changes in the numbers of active posters, the numbers of topics posted in specific intervals, the numbers of replies a topic averages.

It's not just SG; although SG's other issues are probably making it more obvious to the members who are here on a regular basis. 

I believe it's cyclical, and that established, well known communities will see an equal resurgence in popularity in time.  I think it's really just human nature to occasionally take a break from routine, and many new sites crop up that are shiny and exciting. Some of the new places will thrive, and we'll see their influence in various ways; including losing a few members to them. But in time, many of those will also fail, and we'll see the influx of newcomers looking for a "home" when they do.

I agree and think that there are so many avenues these days to share info and time is limited for folks.  I still visit every day and hope that some of the old members who have yet to find us appear one day.

Another thank you to those that work so hard to keep this site going. 

Lyn-J

June 25, 2017, 06:20:21 am #17 Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:22:43 am by Lyn-J
Just wondering:
Are people "scared" to post in case they get criticized or start off a chain reaction?
I'm not suggesting they are sensitive, just can't be bothered with the hassle.

BinMI

I love SG and frankly have not noticed negative comments on the threads I've read.  I don't post much because I have been busy with life.

I too hope some of the old missing members find their way back.

My sewing is stalled, I need to get some pictures so I can post them here for advice, but life gets in the way...

DragonLady

Quote from: Lyn-J on June 25, 2017, 06:20:21 am
Just wondering:
Are people "scared" to post in case they get criticized or start off a chain reaction?
I'm not suggesting they are sensitive, just can't be bothered with the hassle.

Well, I certainly hope not.

My first thoughts here is: that is a risk every person takes when they speak, no matter who or where they are.  If we all stop communicating for fear of being criticized or starting an argument, humans will be reduced to speaking only to their pets or yelling back at the television.

Maybe we all need to remember argument has an upside: that is the ability to come to an agreement and find solutions to problems.  If we never argue with each other, the problems never get solved.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

PJSewingal

I want to join in and say I too think the mods have a thankless job keeping the site going and 'friendly' and a place for lots of different interests.  I come here for the sewing and learning.  Yes, there are a number of online places to learn, but one can't learn too much.  I have been on a fitting journey for several years and am now finally making clothing I like and fits.  So I have begun posting a few items and will try to post more.  I also agree that life can get in the way; there are times when things are hectic and all I can find time for is 20 min or so to read a few threads.  I read the topics I enjoy, and sometimes read items I may not be interested in just to see if I learn something in that thread.

I am also glad the political threads are opt-in.  Yes, I can ignore them if I want on the unread list or block them, but one less step for me to take if I don't care for them.  Some sewing sites wouldn't allow them at all, so the flexibility is good.

I do think that in the US right now kindness and tolerance for differing opinions is in hiding and I hope it comes back. But certainly since this is a global site, non-US folks shouldn't have to read about our issues if they don't want to.

Quotethat is a risk every person takes when they speak, no matter who or where they are.  If we all stop communicating for fear of being criticized or starting an argument, humans will be reduced to speaking only to their pets or yelling back at the television.

It is hard in a written conversation to come off well on a hot topic.    I find it sometimes best to just tell the dog until I get over it.
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

DragonLady

QuoteIt is hard in a written conversation to come off well on a hot topic.    I find it sometimes best to just tell the dog until I get over it.

Yes; I've had many conversations with my dogs over the years! 

Towanda

Quote from: WendyW on June 24, 2017, 03:26:09 pm
I still Love Stitcher's Guild and will continue to recommend it to others. I'm not a frequent poster, but I have always gotten wonderful advice when needed, and lots of encouragement when needed. I have learned a TON here, both from the personal advice from others and from the outside sites I've seen recommended. ... This is by far the best sewing site I've come across, and we shouldn't let a few sour grapes spoil the lovely wine that is produced here. Many thanks to Kathryn, Dragonlady, and the other moderators!

I so agree with all of your comments. I've been a member since the beginning. For the most part everyone who post are very giving of their knowledge and supportive as we all enjoy our love of sewing, knitting and other crafts. I've had a few WTH moments when I read some comments but I don't let it spoil my joy of coming to this site. I've learned a ton of stuff from the members here. My clothes fit better and I'm using patterns I would have never thought about if it wasn't for the contributions of members at this site.

Linda75142

Quote from: DragonLady on June 25, 2017, 07:55:30 am

Yes; I've had many conversations with my dogs over the years!

And the GREAT thing about talking to my dogs is:  They think I'm the most intelligent person in the world!

DaisyChain

Yes, I agree this is a great sewing forum. I joined at the beginning of the year when the UK based The Sewing Forum vanished. Lisa, who moderates the 'Regional Groups', was especially welcoming & even set up separate threads for the marooned Brits to discuss UK suppliers.  :-*

Two former TSFers have since created a new forum & I'm sure there are now lots of folk who belong to both this site & the UK one. It's interesting that although they have a shared membership they are very different and I think they complement each other well.

I always see this site as being very serious. I love the amount of detail people go into with regard to fashion and wardrobe planning. I love the links people provide and I've started to think more carefully about my approach to sewing since reading this forum. Thank you everyone for your generosity. 

Quote from: PJSewingal on June 25, 2017, 07:51:06 am

I do think that in the US right now kindness and tolerance for differing opinions is in hiding

This is also true in the Uk.  :(
The old UK Sewing Forum, (along with the rest of the country), entered an extremely unpleasant phase last June. TSF has gone but the mood in the country remains! I think this has coloured people's thinking with regard to what they wanted their new UK forum to be & a collective decision was made to ban political discussions on that site.

I should post more, (on both sites), but family, work and dare I say...sewing often take up a lot of my time.  ::)

Sizun

I'm thankful I found SG because it enabled me to find a new hobby : wardrobe design ! Thanks to the 6PAC and SWAP threads, I can play like a child, pretending I'm a designer creating a new collection  ::) I found the site through "Lagenlook sewing" search and it's a joy to share ideas there too. I love seeing what the other stitchers made and give and get inspiration. Of course, sometimes life happens and I do have many other interests, but I'm trying to post regularly to keep things rolling both for me and for the threads I'm interested in. Sometimes I'm a bit numb and it's difficult to post in English or to handle the subtleties of what I really mean, this is why I don't always comment and keep away from controversial discussions. I'm a member of other forums (music playing) where things are far more aggressive  :o
Cheers to you all  :-*

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Melinda_B

Quote from: Sizun on June 26, 2017, 06:02:33 am
Sometimes I'm a bit numb and it's difficult to post in English or to handle the subtleties of what I really mean,   

What is your native language Sizun?  I would never have guessed the english wasn't your first language!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Sizun

Quote from: Melinda_B on June 26, 2017, 07:06:11 am
What is your native language Sizun?  I would never have guessed the english wasn't your first language!

Really ?? I'm french so what I say usually sounds like french  ;D

One Dress A Month Sew Along

morejoy

Quote from: fzxdoc on June 24, 2017, 03:02:57 pm

I think that some of our members are letting a few insensitive, self-focused posters ruin their experience
here instead of just ignoring them. That makes me really sad. I hate for anyone to come onto this site
and have less than a positive experience. But I believe that each of us is in control of our experience;
each of us can make it positive for ourselves.

In addition, I would ask that many of you who are critical of us mods/admins for not censoring or
removing posts cut us a bit of slack.

Kathryn

~~~

Gee, seeing this makes me sad, as well, Kathryn. I think it's just another another reflection of the
balkanization of the country generally these days, which is also very sad, anxiety-producing=scary. 
So many folks are cranky, angry, frustrated these days, and that's likely to continue, as I see it.

I think you and the other Mods do such a sterling job, traversing the multitudes of issues that crop up
periodically as they do on any public forum.  Any time I've noted such actions, it's always done so politely
and respectfully. I can't imagine anyone actually criticizing or disrespecting you all. That's out of line.

SG is a fabulous place - it's subject-focused on sewing, etc. for help, tips, advice.  So many gain so
much when they need that help and advice.  And as interest in handcrafted, sewn, knit, etc  items seem
to be growing so much currently, SG is and will be such a marvelous resource.

May I just suggest for consideration removal of the political board(s).  That topic generates so much
controversy and disagreement throughout the populace outside this site that it's easy to see how
comments there can leave marks that can then get carried over to other threads, possibly with
resentments, venting, etc.

i sincerely hope you'll consider this.  The internet if CHOCK FULL of political fora .. so there's plenty
of opportunity for those so inclined to participate at the thousands of political sites.

My deep gratitude and appreciation for all you and ALL the great mods here do.. and do so very well.
This site is too precious to be ruined or in any way lessened, to have its wonderful resources and
reputation stained by a few.

Many thanks for all you do,

~Joy~

Judith

C'mon folks, we are now spending more time talking about whether or not political posts hurt people's feelings than we ever spent actually talking politics. Can we just let it go? People who want to discuss what's happening in our world will do that, and people who find such discussions difficult simply don't open the topic. If a poster on a non political thread offends you, send them a pm (because calling them out will just incite more of the same, I think) and then get back on topic.

We are making this into such a big deal

Frankly, being Canadian, I get annoyed about how we seem to go on and on ad nauseum about weather. Such a boring topic, IMHO. Everyone talks, nobody listens. So when discussion goes down that oath, I just don't participate. It really isn't difficult.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree. I won't get upset

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

sdBev

Quote from: Sew Ruthie Sews on June 25, 2017, 01:57:39 am
I have noticed fewer topics I am interested in...
I've also delibertly limited my reading.  I've had some depressing health situations and chosen to focus on uplifing topics. I've even cancelled some of my news feeds because I want positive thoughts dominating. I dont want to stick my head in the sand.  I want to lift my eyes beyond the immediate despressing venue.

ejvc

Bev, sorry to hear of your health difficulties. I send you a hug. If you ever want to get away, come hang with me in Sweden!
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc  and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.  Deleted my insta account - hate the way Facebook (who own Instagram) treats my personal info so not giving it any more.

PJSewingal

Bev, I read your blog and you are very prolific.  Sorry to hear about health issues but glad you are working to keep a positive attitude. And sewing seems to help. Thoughts & prayers are with you!
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

fzxdoc

Bev, what a wonderful approach--to look for positive input into your life to help you get through this difficult time. I wish you well.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

SheriC

Quote from: fzxdoc on June 24, 2017, 03:02:57 pm

I think that some of our members are letting a few insensitive, self-focused posters ruin their experience here instead of just ignoring them. That makes me really sad. I hate for anyone to come onto this site and have less than a positive experience. But I believe that each of us is in control of our experience; each of us can make it positive for ourselves.

In addition, I would ask that many of you who are critical of us mods/admins for not censoring or removing posts cut us a bit of slack.

Yes, those same snarky people invade other topics. All of this is saddening. And all of this has been a real challenge to those of us whose job it is to maintain the respectful tone of the site. We mods/admins find ourselves not being consistent in our judgements because we're human--what sounds like a slam to one mod seems like earnest debate to another.

This is a great forum, even with the snarkies.  My humble opinion is that if a person who always has something nasty to say starts up, just ignore her.  Block yourself from seeing those posts. 

If everyone would not respond to nasty posts there wouldn't be any argument. Well, almost no arguments.  Some people will get offended that no one is responding and giving them the platform that they need to escalate.  And you really can't do much with that type of person.  Hopefully people will calm down and just stop reading threads that tend to upset them, and concentrate on the 'feel good' posts.

IMHO The mods are trying not to start blocking people because that feels like censoring. And I can agree with that, but if an opinion is cloaked with anger and insults to other posters....  well I just don't have the answers. 

For me I'll continue to stay away from politics and religion since those topics tend to blow up.