• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
September 21, 2020, 07:03:01 am

News:

Gift yourself or a friend with a subscription to Stitcher's Guild!  Only $35.00 for a year of sewing advice, discussions, contests, inspiration, sew-a-longs, and so much more!

SG is still a wonderful place!

Started by fzxdoc, June 24, 2017, 03:02:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa

Quote from: SheriC on June 27, 2017, 12:39:47 pmIMHO The mods are trying not to start blocking people because that feels like censoring. And I can agree with that, but if an opinion is cloaked with anger and insults to other posters....  well I just don't have the answers. 

If you see something that you think the mod/admin team should see (after all, you may have seen it before we have! :o ;D), please report it.  And be sure to tell us what you think or why you are reporting it. 

I can't promise that we'll necessarily do something about that particular post, but it's all "grist for the mill," and helps us try to keep SG happy and healthy in the long term. :)

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Diane in WV

Quote from: DragonLady on June 24, 2017, 03:48:59 pm
QuoteI don't believe SG is up to full speed since it re-booted.

We do still have issues, and I am still working on them.

However, right now, there are a LOT of forums with very active topics about "crickets".  It seems that with so many other social media outlets, a lot of established forums are seeing drastic changes in the numbers of active posters, the numbers of topics posted in specific intervals, the numbers of replies a topic averages.

It's not just SG; although SG's other issues are probably making it more obvious to the members who are here on a regular basis. 

I believe it's cyclical, and that established, well known communities will see an equal resurgence in popularity in time.  I think it's really just human nature to occasionally take a break from routine, and many new sites crop up that are shiny and exciting. Some of the new places will thrive, and we'll see their influence in various ways; including losing a few members to them. But in time, many of those will also fail, and we'll see the influx of newcomers looking for a "home" when they do.

At the end of the day, I don't see any of it as a cause for concern.
are "crickets" trolls?
Let's talk about math

DragonLady

Quoteare "crickets" trolls?

No. "Crickets" refers to the sound of "nothing happening".
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75ยข per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

JuneBug

I was soooo glad that SG is back up.  I belong to and visit other sites, but this one is my "home room" sewing site.  DH refers to you all as my "sewing buddies."

I would like to point out that one of my favorite things about this site, and one that I find very valuable indeed, is how the forum topics are organized.  I belong to other groups, but often times I will spend more time searching for the thread I want, or which page of hundreds it was on when I last read, that I simple leave in frustration.  Here, I can usually very easily find the topics I regularly read. New ones are obvious in the various subsections, so I can choose to peek, pass, or come back again as I prefer.

Thanks for all you mods do.

SheriC

Quote from: Lisa on June 27, 2017, 03:34:04 pm
Quote from: SheriC on June 27, 2017, 12:39:47 pmIMHO The mods are trying not to start blocking people because that feels like censoring. And I can agree with that, but if an opinion is cloaked with anger and insults to other posters....  well I just don't have the answers. 

If you see something that you think the mod/admin team should see (after all, you may have seen it before we have! :o ;D), please report it.  And be sure to tell us what you think or why you are reporting it. 

I can't promise that we'll necessarily do something about that particular post, but it's all "grist for the mill," and helps us try to keep SG happy and healthy in the long term. :)

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Lisa,

I wasn't thinking of anything that has happened recently. 

The problem with posting/email/texting is that the body language signals are missing. Sometimes we read something and don't understand what is intended. I applaud the mods for their diligence in keeping this forum on track it's obviously not always easy.

Sheri

Magimum

I'm another old member who's taken a while to get going with the new forum (not because of the change in the forum, I've had family stuff going on etc).

I belong to a few facebook groups but they tend to be very focused on one thing. What's so lovely about Stitcher's Guild is the stumbling into threads about really delightful and arcane and obscure branches of sewing. I admit I use the forum as a sewing search engine too. It's an amazing resource.

If I do dip into a thread where things are getting snarky, I back out again and go elsewhere.

It's good to be back among familiar friends.
My flickr feed https://flic.kr/ps/28QUmm

My blog: poormother.co.uk
and flowerdogdesigns.co.uk - where my machine embroidery will live, eventually.

Syndi

I love SG...and as Kathryn said: "This is still a great site. It is overwhelmingly visited by members who are good, kind, and talented; loyal members"  So true.  I've been sewing for many years and still, always have many questions.  Everyone here is always so helpful and has helped me improve my skills.  Yes, there have been threads that some "nastiness" has lurked in and it's usually one person (that I notice) who stirs the pot.  It is hard not to go back at her- but I've learned to drop it and move on.  I appreciate all that the moderators do here, and it is a great place to come to.