Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

To purchase a subscription to SG for yourself: go to your profile, and click the "actions" tab.  It will take you to the subscription module, where you can follow the prompts.  Leave the "recurring payments" box empty, or it won't work. Finalizing the transaction is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Author Topic: Serger problems, thoughts welcome!  (Read 1731 times)

washi

• Paid Member
Serger problems, thoughts welcome!
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:53:50 PM »

I have a Huskylock 905 that is suddenly giving me problems. The right needle thread comes unthreaded while I am serging. I've rethreaded multiple times, changed needles and adjusted the tension. Any other thoughts? I am reluctant to take it for repair as my husband and two children are gone this week and I have bounteous amounts of time to sew.

Thank you for your help!
Karen

Pina

Re: Serger problems, thoughts welcome!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »

Have you rethreaded all the threads from scratch in the proper order ? Have you made sure the thread sits properly between the tension discs ? Is the right needle tension dial on the proper number ?

Are you using serger thread cones or other thread ? If you are using sewing thread in the right needle,turn the spool around and place a spool cap on top,how thread comes off the spool can cause problems.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:49:57 PM by Pina »

washi

• Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 01:59:52 AM »

Yes, I've tried re-threading in proper order, even though I know and understand how the threads cross and usually can just switch out one thread if it is a problem. But I re-threaded from scratch anyway, with the manual open to the threading diagram just in case.

Yes, I've flossed and cleaned out the tension discs. The thread moves easily with appropriate tension all the way through the needle, similar to the left needle tension. I tried loosening the right needle tension and despite a looser thread in the stitching, the right thread still broke.

Yes, I am using Maxilock serger thread on cones, cones I've used before. I've changed out all four threads as well, in case it was a thread issue.

Thanks for your response, Pina! I'm really flummoxed. I'm sewing athletic wear and prefer my serger for this fabric. Argh!
Karen

Miranda

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »

Nothing to add, really, except that that's what I'd have done too. Can you try changing the needles too?

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:07:39 AM »

Washi

I had a cone that drove me nuts until I realized the thread had been cut.  It was in an area not easily seen and was a short cut, less than 1/4".  Interesting at how far I could sergge before unwinding to the cut.
sdBev

washi

• Paid Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:17:48 AM »

Miranda, I have changed the needles. I switched them out for new ones, re-installed them again, switched the left and right needles but it is only the right needle thread that breaks.

sdBev, I remember when Maxilock had a bad batch of thread cones that had thread cuts. That was my thought behind trying a different set of thread cones. Same problem.

Thanks for your responses!
Karen

Pina

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:49 AM »

Karen,you tried everything recommended in the Huskylock 905 910 pdf manual on page 40.  ;)   ;)

Where exactly is the right needle thread breaking ?  If the right needle thread keeps breaking,you made sure the needles are all the way up in the serger,you didnít miss a thread path - could there be a burr in the right needle thread path ? Are you using Schmetz 130/705H SUK Jersey/Ball Point needles for athletic wear stretch fabrics ? Which size 130/705H SUK needles are in your Huskylock 905,size # 80 or # 90 ?

I own two different brand old and older sergers and had problems with the left needle thread not in the chain on the same day in both sergers.  ;D I walked away from one serger,then the other serger,after rethreading both sergers several times from scratch.

Then decided to use my old folded US dollar bill,(I keep in the sewing room),to clean the tension discs,(I never use dental floss). Lubricated all moving metal parts with a drop of liquid Tri-Flow,(it doesnít gum up my machines,lubricates and cleans at the same time). Made sure there were no visible knots in different color serger thread cones,(I had good serger thread brand - bad serger thread cones in the past ;)). Rethreaded both sergers from scratch,checked all the settings,serged a long chain on both sergers. The chains looked perfect again.  ???    ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:58:42 AM by Pina »

Miranda

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »

Oh well, always worth a try. :( My sewing machine is doing something similar. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it seen to. Trouble is, it's a bit erratic...

Miranda, I have changed the needles. I switched them out for new ones, re-installed them again, switched the left and right needles but it is only the right needle thread that breaks.

sewvt

• Paid Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »

Long shot -  go over the entire thread path to the right needle, checking carefully for any tiny rough spots.  This happened to me once and it turned out to be due to a very tiny pin scratch on a bit of plastic that was catching and wearing the thread until it broke.  It wasn't very visible, but I could feel it when I ran a finger over it.  Almost drove me crazy before I finally tracked it down since it happened only sporadically, possibly when I was sewing fast and the thread was under more stress.  Good luck!

washi

• Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »

Sorry to disappear for a bit. The help is much appreciated! I've been distracted away from my serger by a broken air conditioner and a new project to make a vest for my friend's son who is getting married in two weeks. The vest will be bridal satin and inexpensive poly lining to match the rest of the groomsmen, so no serger needed.

Thank you, sewvt. I checked the thread path as you suggested and found nothing. My problem is also intermittent, so I was hopeful!

Indeed worth a try, Miranda! I hope your machine performs poorly for the repairman and can be easily fixed. :)

Pina, I oiled my serger with Tri-flow and installed size 80 jersey/ballpoint needles when I began my project. By flossing I meant that I cleaned between the tension discs with a folded piece of paper in a flossing motion, no dental floss actually used here! With your help and others I feel that I have given my serger every opportunity to behave and she is not cooperating!

I will update when I am able to tackle my recalcitrant serger again!
Karen

Pina

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »

Pina, I oiled my serger with Tri-flow and installed size 80 jersey/ballpoint needles when I began my project. By flossing I meant that I cleaned between the tension discs with a folded piece of paper in a flossing motion, no dental floss actually used here! With your help and others I feel that I have given my serger every opportunity to behave and she is not cooperating!

I will update when I am able to tackle my recalcitrant serger again!

Karen,thank you very much for your update !  ;) Yes,you tried just about everything to get your serger to behave ! ;)

But,I canít get your right needle thread breaking out of my head.  ;D

I have no idea which athletic wear fabric you are using.  ;) When you test serge a 6Ē or 8Ē chain without fabric under the presser foot is the right needle thread breaking too ?  Is the right needle thread breaking when you serge two layers of cotton or other fabric too ?  Where exactly is the thread breaking ? How many inches can you serge before the thread breaks ?

Have you decreased the right needle thread tension or tried a larger size needle ? I always test my serger stitches with a long chain first,then with two layers of cotton fabric. Then make adjustments,if I have to,when I test serge other fabrics.

A few minutes ago I checked the needle sizes in my two sergers. I can use smaller size needles in my sergers. I prefer to use good quality brand size 90/14 needles in both sergers. Although size 80/12 needles are suitable to serge most fabrics I still have a full 10-needle package of size 80/12 needles in my two different brand serger accessory boxes. ;D

washi

• Paid Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 02:43:29 AM »

I just want to report that my serger is now cooperating and making perfect stitches. I don't know what exactly made the difference. I am halfway through an athletic skort and no thread breakage where before, the right needle thread would break within 10 inches of serging. I've also switched threads several times before returning to my original project for short alteration projects and am back to the original combination of threads and fabric, all without a problem. The original mystery remains but I am not going to question my good fortune!

Pina, I am sorry I missed your last post. I hope the problem of my right needle breaking didn't keep your head busy all this time! I also test serger stitches as you do, with a long chain followed by scrap fabric followed by serging on two layers of the fabric of my current project, or one layer if that better matches my project. I am a big fan of testing testing testing!  ;D
Karen

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 08:49:53 PM »

I rarely have server stitching issues, probably because I donít push the limit with my machine very often.  I havenít been doing much sewing recently and have been trying to get back in the swing of things.  I needed to rethread my server with some darker thread.  Usually I just tie the threads on and run it through.  It wasnít working the way I expected so I decided it would be good for me to just rethread all four from scratch.  I think I always threaded from right to left but, reading the manual with its minuscule text and drawings, it seemed as though I should do thread #3, then #4, and then #2 and #1.  My test showed a really funky stitch from the left needle.  After, adjusting a few tensions, I decided to change the needle.  My automatic threader hasnít worked for years (Bernina 1200 DC) so rethreading the needle took forever and up my frustration level.  Still the same strange sew out.

I noticed that the first guide for that thread wasnít seated so I readjusted that and finally got a much more normal stitch pattern.  I still wanted to adjust the tension a bit so I did that and it took me back to the wonky stitch pattern from which I havenít been able to recover.  The stitch on the far left resembles a blind hem stitch, mostly not getting caught by the thread beneath, whichever one that is.

I took photos but so far have not been able to add them here.  Can I not do that as an attachment from my iPad?  I can select the photo I want but not actually attach it.  Thanks for any help you might have.  Iíll attach a photo if I can figure out how.

Okay, I guess the photo loaded.  The stitchout in the middle is the relatively normal but shortlasted version.  The other is the front and back of what I am generally getting.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:51:38 PM by vtmartha »

sewvt

• Paid Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 12:29:51 AM »

Hmmm.  Is the needle all the way up into the socket?  Sometimes it seems like it is, but it's sticking down just slightly.  It does look like something is causing that left needle thread to stop working.

I have an older model Bernina and it is quite determined that the only correct threading order is 3,4,2,1.  Actually, it's less fussy about the needles but it is VERY fussy about the looper threading.  I have to rethread from scratch if a looper thread breaks.  It's normally a total workhorse but it has Opinions.  Most of the time, I end up pulling all the thread off and starting over, following the manual's directions step by step.  That usually does it, even though I'll swear I just did that exact same thing 15 times before.  I wish I could find a gif or something that shows how the thing makes stitches in slow motion.  Maybe Pina has one.  It might help figure out where things go wrong in stitch formation.

Is your thread guide rod all the way up?  I've had weird stitching when it was pushed down/in a bit and I hadn't noticed. 

Wish I had a better answer!

ETA: Have you checked the stitch finger?  Maybe something got bent?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:33:11 AM by sewvt »

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »

I am mostly echoing sewvt here but... I get that stitch-out if I dont have the needles in all the way and correctly facing.  Dont ask me how but Ive managed in install a needle with the flat side towards me.

Like sewvt not having the rod extended all the way can cause me problems. Not having the threads completely in all their guides and I mean Iíve had a thread that ran just outside a channel give me headaches.  Current machine is more forgiving but I ve seen 2 different threading orders and they mean it.  If your manual says thread 3,4,2,1 dont try any Other order.

After thought, make sure nothing can intefere with the flow of the thread.  Ive seen thread that couldnt feed easily when at the bottom of the cone and have accidentally had something next to the threads that they could catch on. Either event caused stitch problems.
sdBev

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 10:29:35 AM »

If it's not too much of a pain to do, try a different colour of thread. I've had issues with different thread performing correctly without any tension changes and the thread I want to use just making a mess. At least you will find out what may be causing the problem.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »

Thanks for all your thoughts on my problems!  I had planned to try some new thread as changing the thread is where the problem began.  And I will unthread it all and go through the process again.  Iíve been using the order they suggested although I was surprised to think Iíd remembered it differently. 

I bought this machine used after my work horse Bernette serger broke a nylon gear.  This one was used (hmm, maybe that tells me something) and the purchasing experience left me unsettled.  So, I havenít really spent a lot of time with this machine, especially after I couldnít get the threader to thread the needle.  I bought a cheap gizmo to help thread but even that is hit or miss.  I think I need to find one of those wire loops you push through the needle, except doing anything from behind the needle is tricky.  Pretty sure the needle is seated correctly.  It looks like the picture and I remember going through that puzzle many times once before.  Itís difficult to keep the needle oriented correctly as I fumble to insert it.  As Iím sure you all know! 

Itís got to be something simple as it worked last time I used it so I will persevere!  What catches the left needle thread on the back?  Maybe thatís where the problem is.  Iíve tugged on the thread guide bar a few times because Iíve had that Ďproblemí occasionally but it seems fully extended.  Iíve seen and solved other issues successfully before.  This is the first time Iíve been totally stumped.  Fortunately, I donít depend on my serger for much.  I will keep you updated!

ambimom

• Paid Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »

My two cents...FWIW

It looks like you've threaded correctly but the tension is wrong.  Are you sure the tension discs are taking the thread consistently?  It looks like the thread is coming out of the discs.

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »

I spent some time this morning assessing the situation in a better frame of mind.  I put a new thread in the left hand needle which made some difference but didnít solve the problem.  I rarely use four needles so, when I looked more closely and compared my stitches to the photo in the manual, I realized that the left needle, even when it stitched, did not place the stitches where they belonged.  I took it out of the equation and added a red thread to the (bottom) looper on the right.  It then became apparent that it wasnít forming loops at all.  I rethreaded it and found a small threading error and once that was fixed, I set about playing with tensions.  Now those three threads look balanced but the tensions are much different from what I usually use.  Maybe because the fabric is more of a canvas than the fine cotton I might usually use?

Off to do barn chores and I came back to find Ambimomís post.  Yay and thank you!  When I go back to it, I will add in the left thread to see what happens.  Iím getting much better at threading the needles which is good because the idea that most anything I changed was going to result in having to rethread needles was slowing me down.

I think itís time I become more familiar with what I can do with this serger.   I have feet Iíve never used.  I really ought to be able to fix the threader.  It goes through the proper motions but doesnít do the job.  Iíll let you know what happens once I add the final thread.  Is there something I can do to clean the tension discs effectively?

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »

Vtmartha
I have had to change tensions for thicker and thinner fabrics, too.
sdBev

sewvt

• Paid Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »

Improvement means you're on the right track.  "Flossing" the discs with woolly nylon thread (if you have some) or a double thickness of regular thread will sometimes loosen up whatever fluff may be in there.  Do whatever your serger needs so the discs are at 0 tension before you "floss". 

Does this model take regular sewing machine needles or does it need the ELx705's?  Is there any chance there's the wrong type in there? 

Good luck!

vtmartha

• Paid Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 10:18:41 PM »

Well, I think Iíve back tracked as much as Iíve moved forward.  I found one of my needle inserters has a flat back so I took both needles out and put them back in.  I played with the tensions.  I was careful to make sure the threads were between the tension discs ( and, indeed, they seemed to go in deeper when I tugged on the thread - the first time but never again).  Finally, everything seems to work after replacing the thread once again.  I think I should toss all my serger thread and use smaller spools of sewing machine thread.  I just donít go through it fast enough.

The needle I used was one that came with the machine, years ago.  There was nothing about using special needles in the manual that I saw although I did just order more serger needles.

To top it off, I would swear that the front cover of the serger no longer closes all the way.  Maybe itís my imagination because itís closed enough to run but the edges donít match up on the side.

Hereís my most recent test sample, although I canít preview it to make sure.  You canít really read my notes but they were mainly for my benefit anyway.  Thanks for hanging in there with me!

My recommendation to anyone with a similar problem, or to myself once Iíve forgotten again, is to put a different color thread into each needle and looper so you can see where the problem is.  It turns out that mine was consistently the left needle but I wasnít really sure about that until I changed a few colored threads.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:26:54 PM by vtmartha »

sewvt

• Paid Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 11:41:01 PM »

:thumbsup:  Looks like you showed that machine who's boss!  Glad it worked out.  I hate when mine does stuff like this to me, but they all do it now and then.

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here