Author Topic: New OT/Political Board - OPT-IN only  (Read 5003 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
New OT/Political Board - OPT-IN only
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:32:54 AM »
As many have requested, there's been a child board created for the discussion of potentially "hot button" topics.  This board is OPT-IN only; that is, you will have to go to your profile, and join the O/T Politics group to see and/or participate in those topics.

Otherwise, the usual rules apply there just as anywhere else.  When old topics are moved there, there will be a "moved topic" notification, with a link, but you'll still have to join the group to read them once they've been moved.

The group is entirely open membership; you may enter, leave and reenter as you please.  The only change is whether or not you'll be able to see the board, and the topics therein. 
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Are you looking for the perfect buttons?  I just may have them in my Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline Manuela

• former
  • Subscribed Member
  • Hong Kong
Re: New OT/Political Board - OPT-IN only
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:57:14 AM »
Hank you DragonLady  :)

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:58:02 AM »
Thanks from me as well.  Much appreciated.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:27:01 AM »
And another huge thank you from me as well. That is even better than just a regular child board- brilliant! It accommodates everyone.

This is great, as I generally only log in when I'm thinking of posting. So even if I opt in when I'm not logged in I'm "controversy" free and when I'm in the mood for politics I can go take a peek. Then I can either chime in or flee.

Are you open to suggestions for topics to be relocated there? I'd kind of like to see the various threads primarily aimed at browbeating or guilting admonishing us about ************* relocated, as they seem political in nature.

The Seventh Circle....interesting reference.

Edited because I got called out on that. Let's try admonished, and I am expressing a POV.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:03:44 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:37:35 AM »
It works just beautifully. Thank you again Dragonlady. It is more peaceful here already.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:48:33 AM »
Thank you again Dragonlady for looking out for the interests of all of the members here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:59:11 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
I think something similar has been done years ago, probably in the Age of Obama.  It quickly fizzled because it was basically a hidden group.  No one could find it and you never knew about new posts unless you made a point of checking there.  I hope this is different.  I noted some stats that showed the largest number of posts are on chatter so clearly there is a need.  Can you explain better how this will work, please?

Offline laurasj

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
Vtmartha, once you join the group, new posts show up when you click "show unread posts...." I'm not sure how a person new to the topic would find it.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
No one could find it and you never knew about new posts unless you made a point of checking there. 

This will work the same way.

The other admins and I have received a huge amount of feedback about political threads.  More than one person has claimed they were leaving over them; and at least one has asked for a way to "block" the topics.

This is the best compromise I've been able to think of.  It allows the threads to continue, so those who feel they need to vent or just enjoy discussing world events can do so; while allowing those who would rather avoid them to do so.

It is not a "hidden" group by any means.  But the topics in that board are hidden unless you join the group so you can see them and participate.  Controversial or divisive topics the mods and I believe belong there will be moved there, and the "chatter" section will be relatively free of them.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Are you looking for the perfect buttons?  I just may have them in my Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline mcgintie

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »
Thank you, DL lady and mods.

Offline Karen

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
I would like to thank DL and mods for making this accommodation - not because I think it was necessary as I believe we should, at least I should, take personal responsibility for not clicking on something I may not want to read no matter how innocuous or inciteful, or not clicking in the future should I find I don't want to read it for whatever reason - though I can understand why it may be a good business decision. I think it shows exceptional consideration to our members.  It also makes me wonder if I could convince the wonderful ice cream shop (my favorite food) a couple doors down from Joann's to close when I shop for sewing stuff so I won't be tempted to go in, or get Joann's to close when I go to dollar scoop night so I won't be tempted to buy more sewing paraphernalia when in the area.
Karen

Offline Pina

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
..............suggestions for topics to be relocated there? I'd kind of like to see the various threads primarily aimed at browbeating or guilting us about waste  inherent in our society's system to leave the general population of threads.

Browbeating ?  Waste ?  Please list all those SG topics here ! 

Offline karent

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
Guilting us about waste?   So all those "too much stash", stash busting and decluttering?  Really?  I'm a little unsure how to sort this out as well.  K

Offline cheetah

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
I also want to express my appreciation to DL and the mods for making this accommodation to the wonderfully varied membership of SG.

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 02:35:27 PM »
I am rapidly changing my opinion about who the 'browbeaters' are and wondering why they need special 'accommodations'.

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »
I would like to thank DL and mods for making this accommodation - not because I think it was necessary as I believe we should, at least I should, take personal responsibility for not clicking on something I may not want to read no matter how innocuous or inciteful, or not clicking in the future should I find I don't want to read it for whatever reason - though I can understand why it may be a good business decision. I think it shows exceptional consideration to our members.  It also makes me wonder if I could convince the wonderful ice cream shop (my favorite food) a couple doors down from Joann's to close when I shop for sewing stuff so I won't be tempted to go in, or get Joann's to close when I go to dollar scoop night so I won't be tempted to buy more sewing paraphernalia when in the area.

Karen, thanks for saying that so well.

Seriously, grownups should be able to tolerate some disagreements. Nobody has ever guilted me about waste, they've expressed their opinion and my reaction has been, so what"

I worked with a delightful fellow long ago who told me his mantra (if you don't know what a mantra is then you missed the 60's) was

"Oh lord let me be tolerant of the opinions of others......WRONG though they may be."

Judith
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:44:58 PM by Judith »
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
I am rapidly changing my opinion about who the 'browbeaters' are and wondering why they need special 'accommodations'.
You and  me both.  I can't believe that the topic would be an opt-in only so folks don't have to see the topic??  What have we become.  I don't contribute much anymore except in $$ but I think it's time I also quit SG.  No wonder the world is in the shape it is.

Offline Manuela

• former
  • Subscribed Member
  • Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
Can't we just all appreciate that those who want to discuss politics can do so as they wish, and those who don't have a chatter section without political topics?
There is a child board for food and health, regional groups, etc, now there is one for political topics as well.... Not sure why it is opt in, but that's up to DragonLady and the mods.
Why is there a need to looks down on those who do/don't want to discuss politics  ???

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »
Can't we just all appreciate that those who want to discuss politics can do so as they wish, and those who don't have a chatter section without political topics?
There is a child board for food and health, regional groups, etc, now there is one for political topics as well.... Not sure why it is opt in, but that's up to DragonLady and the mods.
Why is there a need to looks down on those who do/don't want to discuss politics  ???

I'm not looking down on anyone that wants to discuss politics - or costumes or lagenlook.  I just don't click on those threads - very simple.

Offline Karen

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »
I am not looking down on anyone either, I hope, hope I didn't come across that way but yes there was a tone of sarcasm about Joann's and the ice cream shop taking responsibility for protecting me from my own temptation .....  We have a wonderful community of amazingly talented and truly intelligent people here, posting in this (or the moved topics) or not, and while we may or may not agree, sometimes, always, never.... it's DL's forum to set up as she sees fit, hence I thought it particularly accommodating to set up the new arrangement for whatever reason vs. just saying something like...don't click what you don't want to read. Right now there are four pages of topics listed in Chatter. I can only speak for myself but I don't find it that offensive to see a topic/title I don't like/am not interested in. I just don't click it. I don't click and open Heirloom Sewing. No offense to heirlooms sewers, your work is beautiful, it just doesn't interest me and is not something I want to get involved in. Same with Making Dolls Bears Toys. Same with some other threads. It's what I would teach my kids to do vs. ask for special arrangements. To paraphrase Nike's well known slogan - Just Don't Do It.

I'm guessing the opt in function is so that no one accidentally clicks and reads something they may find offensive/undesirable/improperly part of a sewing forum?

What does concern me is that if people were requesting this move so as not to have to see it or be tempted to click and get into it... how many other things/topics may come under the same scrutiny and requests/demands if enough people don't like them/aren't interested/find themm offensive? DL's mailbox could be deluged. Though perhaps in jest, perhaps not, a couple other suggestions have already been made. I just believe once this begins, particularly for adults with the ability to not enter conversations/topics they understandably may not want nothing to do with, that we may create a slippery slope.....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:50:15 PM by Karen »
Karen

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
I understand your point Karen, but most topics are not so divisive and the negativity in the political threads seem to be spilling over into other areas which is causing people to leave which I hate to see because we will lose valuable sewing related input.

The way I view the forum is to show unread posts and to very quickly click each of the new buttons as a new tab and then I read each tab individually (as I find back buttons to be too slow) so I don't necessarily realize what the subject is until then. Even though there are some areas I'm not interested in (embroidery, bear making and so on) I may still glance at them if there aren't a lot of posts on the off chance there might be photos which I enjoy viewing even if it's something I'm not interested in making.

Offline Karen

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 04:24:20 PM »
I understand your point Karen, but most topics are not so divisive and the negativity in the political threads seem to be spilling over into other areas which is causing people to leave which I hate to see because we will lose valuable sewing related input.

The way I view the forum is to show unread posts and to very quickly click each of the new buttons as a new tab and then I read each tab individually (as I find back buttons to be too slow) so I don't necessarily realize what the subject is until then. Even though there are some areas I'm not interested in (embroidery, bear making and so on) I may still glance at them if there aren't a lot of posts on the off chance there might be photos which I enjoy viewing even if it's something I'm not interested in making.

Hmm I just go onto the site (well not even on my new phone, haven't successfully been able to login) and click the categories, i.e. Chatter then topics I want to read. Maybe I should try showing the unread posts to see what others are seeing. You mean if you get the list of unread posts it just says Chatter then automatically opens all topics with unread content without the option to click on Widgets vs. Politics?   Thanks for noting this.
Karen

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
You just click "show unread posts since last visit" and it lists each thread individually with Subject, Started By, Replies (#), Views (#) and Last Post (which shows timestamp and who made that post),  Subject will show the topic title in larger font and "in xxx" in smaller font where xxx is the category.  When I click on new (as a new tab) it loads right where the last post I haven't read is.  Very convenient.

The crumb will show: Stitcher's Guild Reloaded > Recent Unread Topics
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:51:06 PM by mudcat »

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »

^^^ I agree. Peace and hippy flowers :)
This "place" is my happy, decompressing place. A place to enjoy others work, to learn something new and share a little of my work and/or messes. I don't have anyone in my life now to share this stuff with. When I try to talk to anyone I know about sewing I quickly see their eyes glaze over LOL. I'm so happy to be here.

Thank you DL for trying to accommodate. It must be so very hard to please everyone and try to find a middle ground. I wouldn't want your "job" but happy that you are up for it.

Sew on ladies and gents :)
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline lydia

• lydia
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »
Don't like it, not of interest - don't read it!.....Lydia
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
I feel the same Lydia. It's dividing us though.  :(
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Offline ejvc

• Subscribed Member
  • Plan-bot and machine knitting cryptographer.
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
I have cheerfully opted in and started a new thread about political podcasts :-)  I'm sorry some don't like it but happy we can keep our discussions.
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »
Interesting that there seems to be a lot of interest in a topic that some say shouldn't even be allowed. Hmmmm guess we are more tolerant after all. Good for us.

I have a suggestion:  if someone says something where I feel offended, I'll send them a pm and give them a chance to say "oops, didn't mean it that way". Then I'll let it go. I hope.  sound like a plan?

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 04:57:44 AM »
Guilting us about waste?   So all those "too much stash", stash busting and decluttering?  Really?  I'm a little unsure how to sort this out as well.  K

LOL! No, I was thinking along the lines of the multiple threads that have popped up now & then extolling all the evils of the fashion business, exploitation of workers, the waste inherent in the fashion industry, etc. I just think those are also political topics in nature and would best be served by being in the same area as the other political topics where the people most likely to respond to them and participate in them would congregate.

Maybe that was the wrong word, browbeat. Maybe admonished would be better, or at the least, lectured. But yes, I have felt that some people have gone over the top on that.

That is of course my opinion. Even if some of you don't like it we should each be allowed to share our opinions, or no one should be allowed to.

For the record, I spoke to Dragonlady back in March about considering doing a child board for controversial/political threads. I saw it as a way to keep everybody happy, both the ones who want to talk politics as well as the ones who have said they would like politics kept off of SG. It's called compromise and making accommodations. Some of us are trying to find a win-win here for the membership, not divide it further.

I'm personally all for political discussion, but I think if we take a point of view of personal ownership of Stitcher's Guild and think of ourselves as hosts here, not only as guests in someones living room, we would each look for ways to keep other people comfy. I think a politics child board serves that purpose.

I find it very disappointing that some people aren't interested in whether others are comfortable here, so long as they have the threads they want. Again, just one persons opinion.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:10:01 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 06:23:47 AM »
Great stuff. I am going to stick to the non political topics thank you, and whilst I might be missing some stuff I'm cool with that.

Offline path49

• O/T Politics
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 03:12:17 PM »
I don't see anyplace in my profile to join.....

Offline srna

• O/T Politics
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Path49, click on the Profile tab, then the Modify Profile tab when it pops up, then the Group Membership tab when IT pops up.  You can click on the OT/Political group to join.

Offline path49

• O/T Politics
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
srna, Thanks! I thought I'd looked everywhere....not sure how I missed there. Thanks again, Pat