Author Topic: Claire Shaeffer Vogue Patterns  (Read 4113 times)

Offline aisling

Claire Shaeffer Vogue Patterns
« on: December 17, 2008, 06:27:16 AM »
I was reading some old Australian Stitches Articles  and came across one called "Inside a YSL jacket". The green jacket featured appears to be almost identical in style to vogue 8481 . I ran a quick internet search to see if others from the pattern range had been based on specific garments. I
found an interview which mention the plum frock coat pattern was inspired by a YSL coat.

I'm now possibly too curious about the inspiration for the rest of her patterns. Has Claire Shaeffer done other patterns inspired specific garment? Or are they are more "generic" in the sense that she has either designed it herself or taken design elements from various garments.

Does the Vogue Patterns magazine mention this sort of thing?

Offline Claudine

• Photos
Re: Claire Shaeffer Vogue Patterns
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »
I don't think you would be able to get info from Vogue patterns about specific garments on which the patterns are based.  In some countries, it is possible to copyright a garment design, so Vogue might run afoul of the law if they say that the patterns are copied from actual garments.

That said, I think some of the earlier Clair Schaeffer couture patterns are based on garments that she shows in her book. 

Offline aisling

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:45:42 AM »
When I first saw the patterns I had assumed copyright would mean that Claire Shaeffer could not do a very similar if not exact copy of a garment and had thought that the designs were inspired by various garments or designers like Chanel in a generic sort of way. This is why I was surprised to noticed how the jacket in the article was to 8481. This is what I get for making assumptions in the first place  :-[ IIRC 8481 has only been released at some point in the last year. It's the third latest of her patterns. I don't know enough about any designer to recognise their influence a pattern design unless I get hit with a very obvious example.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:52:08 AM by aisling »

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »
I can't answer your specific question.  However, I've been purchasing CS patterns since Vouge introduced the first jacket and pant pattern.  I love her instructions - they are quite detailed and give you couture or 'regular' options.  I used two of her slack patterns and plan on doing a third sometime soon.  I've not made any of the jacket patterns but enjoy reading the detail she puts on the instructions.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline MsFunk

• funkSimile Cinematic Replica Clothing
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:00:58 PM »
hmm.  I have never made any of her patterns but own a slacks pattern.  Now I'll have to dust it off and see what everyone's talking about.  and maybe start using the patterns I have instead of always buyng more.  nah, that would be silly.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics