Author Topic: hemming silk chiffon  (Read 4144 times)

Offline blessedtosew

• Shoes and Sewing
hemming silk chiffon
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »
I am making a top out of silk chiffon.  I am not sure how to hem it.  I thought about using my rolled hem foot, but something tells me that I probably better hand hem it.  Does anyone have any hints?

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
Re: hemming silk chiffon
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:13:28 PM »
I see several people have read your post, but nobody has replied.  I haven't hemmed silk chiffon, but I have hemmed nylon and polyester chiffons.  I have never mastered the rolled hemmer.  After I bought my first serger, I never bothered with the rolled hemmer foot again.  So I would use my serger and to avoid pokies I fold up about 1/8 inch first.  I know that doesn't help if you don't have a serger.   :-[ but hang in there, somebody will be along with a good answer. 

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:56:32 PM »
Is it on the bias or straight grain at the hem? I find bias and a rolled hem edge by machine make for a ripply edge.
This might not be a bad thing.
If it is straight of grain I usually have done a hand rolled hem edge.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
Blessed

I would do a rolled hem by hand. I am biased in favor of hand-hemming by hand anyway, excepting shirttails and jeans.

Offline Ms. Fine Fabrics

• FineFabrics.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »
I use 3-methods for hemming silk chiffon.

1. Machine rolled hem, using rolled hem foot - not my favorite.
2. Stay stitch hem edge - sewing a straight stitch 1/4" of edge. Trim any uneven spots. The stitch supports the chiffon. Roll that to within hem, press, stitch as straight as you possibly can - my second favorite.
3. Small zig-zag, stretching along edge for ripple - my current favorite. I prefer using a small tight zigzag, between 1 and 2 both in width and length, to using a serger. I find the serged stitch to be too heavy for my liking with silk chiffon. I am sure there are methods to lighten it up, but I am more comfortable with zigzag and its outcome.

Offline MsFunk

• funkSimile Cinematic Replica Clothing
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:06:01 PM »
I have to agree about serging chiffon.  it's just too bulky.  a tight zigzag does a fine job.

The issue I always have with my rolled hem foot is making it over the seam allowances; it always looks sloppy.  So my second favorite is to stitch along the edge then make a hand rolled hem. 

Depending on the style and cut, this is also a time when I do a bound hem using self bias.  but it depends on how sheer the chiffon is and what the underlining is.  It gives crispness which is either great or awful depending on what the overall look of the garment will be.

Offline Ms. Fine Fabrics

• FineFabrics.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
Depending on the style and cut, this is also a time when I do a bound hem using self bias.  but it depends on how sheer the chiffon is and what the underlining is.  It gives crispness which is either great or awful depending on what the overall look of the garment will be.

Good idea.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics