Author Topic: Atlas Sewing Machine  (Read 9724 times)

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
Re: Atlas Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »
It's a badged machine - made in Japan and uses the hook style of one of the earlier class 15 Singers (different than the 15-91, 15-90, 15-88, etc.).  Vertical, side loading bobbin with the bobbin case finger at the 1 o'clock position.  Straight stitch only, feed dogs drop, threads right to left, uses regular home sewing machine needles.

The name "Atlas" isn't indicative of the manufacture, just a label.
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com
Discount Sewing Machine Parts & Supplies

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:32:12 AM »
Just FYI, it went for $26.  I did not bid.  And it's still pretty. ;)

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:11:18 AM »
There are lots of cool, retro colors and really interesting styling used on many of the Japanese made machines.  Many of them are sturdy, reliable stitchers with just a little TLC to make up for some lost time.

In October, I posted a  review of  a White badged machine made in Japan, and it reminded me of an old car with it's chrome trim and all.  You can see the full review here.

"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 03:22:19 AM »
Curiosity - what's a "badged" machine?  K

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
A badged machine is labeled (badged) with a name or brand that doesn't reflected the name of the factory or company which manufactured it.  The term "badged" is most frequently used in reference to the Japanese made machines of the late 1950's, 60's and early 70's.

The Atlas above is a badged machine as is the White.
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline Jennifer Hill

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 05:53:52 AM »
That White *Sew Classic* is EXACTLY the same machine that my mom bought new in 1961, except hers was badged a *Viking*, the house brand of the now defunct Eaton's Department Stores in Canada.  I learned to sew on this machine, and it now lives in my basement.  I tried to remove its motor and power it in one of my treadle bases, but it has an odd belt guard that rubs on the treadle belt.  I've always wanted to treadle a zig-zag machine.

Jennifer in Calgary

Offline LindaE

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »
An Atlas machine followed me home yestereday,  the previous owner was throwing it away..  This machine is a little beat up  but I think I maybe able to clean it up.  It runs but I am not sure how well It stitches.  The case for the Atlas is in bad shape I wonder if I could fine a new case for it or if it is worth it.

This owner was tossing 4  different machines I brought Them all home have  not look at the others  yet.
Linda E.
"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training."
Anna Freud

"Inspiration will always sing; inspiration will never explain" Kahlil Gibran

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »
Tossing machines?? :o :o :o  "Sew" glad you were there to rescue!! ;D
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
I've made some bases for some of my machines that had a cabinet that couldn't be saved or the case was in terrible shape.

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,6300.0.html
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Online mcgintie

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 09:53:02 AM »
Hi,
I have been given a Singer (like the one in Beebees picture) with a receipt dated 1951 when it was bought new for 25 British pounds (a fortune in these days! Could have been a monthly wage). The case is perfect, and has several feet. It smells well oiled and runs so smoothly when I turn the handle (I haven't stitched on it yet).
Does anyone know what it would fetch? (I am planning to play with it and then thinking of persuading the previous owner to sell it on ebay - he inherited it from his MIL).
It includes two manuals and a leaflet, and the feet are in a cardboard box that fits neatly into the lid.

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »
Since you are looking to sell it on eBay, just do a completed items search for similar items.  That will give you an idea of what the final bid price might be.
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
Mine is a 1952 Singer 201-2.  It was my mother's, she bought it brand new, for around $250US.  Just FYI. I have all the original accessories it came with - the little box of feet.  Plus a couple more I've purchased more recently.

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
I love it when I can use the Federal Reserve consumer price index calculator!

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/index.cfm

OK, so $250 in 1952 would be .........$2,093.96 !! Of course, one could never sell it for that amount now, but it does put the "new" price in perspective. 

Your mom's $250 in 1952 works out to be about 37 cents per month over the last 56 years- good deal!

FWIW mcgintie, I doubt your machine is a 201-2 with the potted/gear driven motor.  Not too many of those sold on your side of the pond.  You can probably look up the serial number on the Singer website to help you ID the machine.  

Since this original post was about a PINK machine, I thought I'd share a photo of a pastel AQUA machine that is on my bench now. (obliviously the photo was taken last summer- no snap dragons out there now!)

Click to enlarge the photo

This morning, I was testing the machine on a variety of materials (leather, denim, regular cotton, and making some furry dog toys with it) and when DH walked by he commented on the machine.  He usually pays no attention to any of the machines, but he was impressed with this one.  Go figure!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:20:47 PM by Sew-Classic »
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »
 8)  How fun, thanks Jenny!  I knew this was a major investment for them.  Likely a wedding gift to themselves, though I never thought to ask back when I could.  But allocating it thru the years makes it quite a sound investment.  8)

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
Yes, it was a great investment! 

Things sure have changed.  Nobody expects any new machine to last 56 years, but, then again, the new machines have loads of features not even dreamed of when your 201-2 was purchased in 1952.
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline Karendee

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »
Jenny,

I absolutely adore the aqua machine. That is my signature color. I used it for my Wedgwood china, some art pieces, and lots of things. Is the machine in good shape? When was it made?

Karen

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »
I've got a 201-2 from 1938! It was my Mom's and she got it gently used at the time - it was a Jr HS grad present. It's still bright and shiny and I had it recently serviced so I know it's quiet. I have no idea what it cost at the time. So, a machine that's working perfectly 70 years later!
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »
I've got a 201-2 from 1938! It was my Mom's and she got it gently used at the time - it was a Jr HS grad present. It's still bright and shiny and I had it recently serviced so I know it's quiet. I have no idea what it cost at the time. So, a machine that's working perfectly 70 years later!

I believe that 1936 or 38 was about the time that Singer first introduced the 201-2.   The early machines have the prettiest scrolled face plate.  They probably paid a chunk of change for it back then- your mom was a lucky girl!

Karen,

The Aqua Brother class 15 "clone" came to me in pretty good shape.  Hardly a scratch on it.  I just cleaned off theold oil, lubricated it, and did make one repair to the tension assembly.  There is supposed to be a little pin on the silver knob part that engages the numbered part of the tension.  The pin was broken off.  I removed the broken, too short pin from the backside of the knob, and replaced it with a longer pin.  Works like a charm!

I've got a GOLD class 15 clone in storage- it's a hoot!  Even the light fixture is gold!  Some of the colors they used on the machines were really fun.
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »
Oops- forgot about the age question.- Sorry

For these types of machines, there aren't records of when a particular serial number was built like there is for the Singers.  So, my best guess would be somewhere between 1955 and 1965.
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
I know mine dates to December 1938. And yes, it has the pretty scrollwork on it. A work of art as well as a great working machine.
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline Jennifer Hill

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 12:30:47 AM »
I believe that 1936 or 38 was about the time that Singer first introduced the 201-2.

Kilbowie produced 201s earlier than the Elizabethport factory.  My 201K is from the fourth batch of this model, commissioned in October, 1934.

Jennifer in Calgary

Offline Karendee

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 12:58:08 AM »
Jenny,

Thanks for the info. I really think that machine is cute.

Karen

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 01:01:56 AM »
Jennifer,

Did they ever make the potted motor machines (201-2) at Kilbowie? I'm thinking "no"....? Somehow, I have in my head that the potted motor machines where mostly sold in the US and Canada??

Karen- Thanks
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com

Offline Jennifer Hill

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 04:04:59 AM »
Jennifer,

Did they ever make the potted motor machines (201-2) at Kilbowie? I'm thinking "no"....? Somehow, I have in my head that the potted motor machines where mostly sold in the US and Canada??

Karen- Thanks

I'm thinking "maybe".  For sure, the vast majority of Kilbowie 201s had belt drive motors, if they had motors at all.  But I seem to recall some discussions on other sewing machine forums that indicated there may have been a few potted motor models.  The dating records on the Singer site are no help here, since they never specify sub-models.

Curious, but 201Ks are more prevalent here in Canada than 201-2s, at least in my limited experience.  As an international conglomerate, Singer practiced some strange marketing strategies (for example, there were no, or very few 66s sold in Canada), and the reasoning behind them are not too easy to comprehend today.

Jennifer in Calgary

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics