Author Topic: vintage industrial Singer 241-12  (Read 15347 times)

Offline auramine

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
vintage industrial Singer 241-12
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:50:06 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site. My fiance recently got me a vintage industrial Singer. Model 241-12. Does anyone know if parts are still available? The cork pads are breaking off into little pieces. Once that's replaced I could try to figure out how to work it. I've been trying to learn more about this machine. Like is the motor original? What is the weird thing at the top? There's this cylinder type thing where the thread guide would be on a home machine. Hmm, maybe if I posted a photo... Anybody have one of these? Thanks for any info!

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
Re: vintage industrial Singer 241-12
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »

Is this your machine?  This:  http://needlebar.org/bb2/ will be of help to you in finding out about your vintage Singer.  These folks live and breath vintage.
What weird thing at the top?

ETA:  Most Singers have pretty readily available parts.  The just made so many of them, that parts are still around.  Unlike many "Industrial" Singers, the 241 really is.  I've seen prices up to $1200 US. 
A Singer 241-12 was a fine, for its day, high speed lockstitch dressermaker industrial/factory sewing machine with a fully automation lubrication system. The machine was first released by The Singer Company about 1929. It was a good machine for lightweight woven fabrics and has been replaced by the Singer 251, then 281, then 291, then 491, and now by all of the other similar high speed lockstitch type factory production sewing machines.

Google "Singer 241-12" and you'll find a ton of info.  Some is even useful. ;)
ETA, again:  http://sewvacdoctor.com/cate.asp?categoryID=21  Look here for some general and specific Industrial Machine info.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-241-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-OWNER-Manual_W0QQitemZ190247573888QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Sewing_Machines?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:31:53 PM by BeeBee »

Offline auramine

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
Great pictures! Instead of the metal pole like thing where you put the thread spool, mine has some strange cylinder thing. See pics below. Thanks for the link. I'll check them out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:37:28 PM by auramine »

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:41:05 PM »
The 241 should have an auto oiler system in it, but perhaps yours doesn't and that is an oil felt/reservoir for lubrication.  It is located exactly where the tubing should come up from the inside of the machine from the oil pan below.

Here is a user's  manual for the 241:

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/241.pdf

"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com
Discount Sewing Machine Parts & Supplies

Offline auramine

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 01:57:56 AM »
Thanks for the manual, but unfortunately there's no mention of that cylinder. You're right, it feels like felt inside. But the machine does have a self-oiler with a pump. So I'm not sure I've figured out the mystery part yet... It's not connected to the inside of the machine, either, but only sits on top. Is it possible that people used this to oil the thread? I've never seen anything like it before.

Offline lamx

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »
You are correct, that is a thread lubricator.  It is used for extremely high-speed sewing, if you are using the machine in a home setting, you can remove that and just use the standard thread guide.

Ed

Offline auramine

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »
Thanks Ed! Would I just use regular sewing machine oil for the thread lubricator?

Offline Sew-Classic

• Sew-Classic
    • Sew-Classic.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »
I'm sure Ed will know for certain, but the only thread lubricants that I've seen were silicone based With these, the whole spool of thread was treated in one shot.  Maybe they use something different is the type of dispenser on your machine.
"Jenny"
Sew-Classic.com
Discount Sewing Machine Parts & Supplies

Offline doughboy

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 06:26:26 PM »
I just picked up one of these with a monster 1/2hp clutch motor, 250v for 60 bucks.  
My question is, if you aren't using it as a high speed machine,  do you need to use the self oiling system or can you just keep it lubricated like a normal machine.
Thanks
Christopher
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:15:54 PM by doughboy »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics