Author Topic: Tulle skirt (help! need step-by-step instructions)  (Read 35694 times)

Offline laurannze

Tulle skirt (help! need step-by-step instructions)
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:26:56 AM »
Hi! I was wondering if their is stretch tulle. I have to make a bunch of tulle skirts and I need to ensure it's stretch so that it fits a wide range of people, or is their a stretchy elastic band that is very small I could use. THanks

Offline laurannze

Re: Tulle skirt (help! need step-by-step instructions)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »
I need help on how to make this skirt...?
Please if someone can help. I need it step by step and simple (if possible).
Thanks alll!
http://s496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/laurannzee/?action=view&current=untitled.jpg

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 05:23:26 AM »
Hi Laurannze,  Welcome to SG! 

That looks like a pretty basic skirt.  From what I can see in the photo I believe there are 3 tiers to it.  Decide on your length and then figure out how long the shorter tiers will be.  The top one at least looks as if it's tucked rather than gathered, which is probably what gives it a nicer silhouette than a very poufy, tutu effect.  You'll need several layers of tulle in each tier, and you'll need to experiment to see how much fullness you need to get the look you like.  I can't really tell from the photo, but the lower layers may be attached to a plain underskirt of something like a lining fabric.  This would keep it from being too big around at the hip area, where you'd otherwise have 3 times the layers.  If this is all true, here's what I would do.

Make a very plain, fairly straight skirt from sheath lining or something similar, (Hang Loose would be great, as I'll bet you'll get a real static buildup with all that tulle).  You don't need to bother with darts for this, as everything will be covered with tulle and a waistband, and you can gather the waist as needed to fit you.  Attach the lowest round of tulle to the skirt after you've tucked it as desired.  Attach the next layer above it, and the last layer will be attached at the waist.  Use a wide satin ribbon for your waistband.   That's about it.  For a closure, I would probably use elastic in the back of the skirt for about 8"-10" or whatever you need to get into it, and then you can just tie the waistband closed over it.  You may want a snap or two near the bow to keep the band in place after you have the skirt on.

I think you can get tulle in strips, so if that kind of width will work for you, that would be handy.  Otherwise get yardage.  You can fold or roll the tulle
into a flattened tube and cut through it to get even width strips for your tiers.  Tulle doesn't need to be hemmed, you can just trim the hem edge evenly after you have it all done if you need to.

HTH, I'm not sure just how detailed you need this.  :)
Cute skirt!

Offline laurannze

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:16 PM »
 :D

Thank you so much! This is perfect!

Offline laurannze

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:28:42 PM »
I will send a picture after I'm done! Thanks again, so happy, your explanation was perfect!!!!

Offline Liz in PA

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
I'm sorry nobody with experience with tulle has helped you.

Never sewn tulle, but my guess is you want an elastic waistband, and NOT streach tulle, if that even exists. Waistbands can be quite narrow.

Hopefully bringing this to the top of the list will catch somebody's attention.

~Liz

Offline CanAndi

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »
I make tutus and a great way to gather tulle is to do a long wide zigzag over a line of dental floss.  Tie off one end and gather as much as is needed.

Tulle is actually very easy and forgiveable to work with.  Press it with a low heat to get those pleats into shape before you sew it to the waistband and again after.  When you press it - don't move it until it has cooled.  Tulle and netting are nylon and plastic and need a cooling down period to set the pressing shape.

Offline MeganScott

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:54:14 PM »
I need step by step instruction on how to make  a tulle skirt posted below.  Any help would be much appreciated!

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/Evasma2004/?action=view&current=halloween08120.jpg

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
There was a thread on the Sew Mama Sew forum recently on making tutus.  You might want to check there- there's a link to a good tuturial.
http://sewmamasew.com/forum/index.php?topic=276.0

Offline Lisa Laree

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »
Angie A has a good one on her blog, too:
TuTu Tute
Lisa Laree
So much fabric -- so little time!
Sew Random

Offline meeshkin

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:36:45 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this website...
I'm a senior in high school with a tad of sewing experience and I want
to make my prom dress.
I want something that is short and pouffy, more than likely different colors of tulle for the skirt. For the top I was wondering if I can wear a white bustier or something of that sort and just attach the tulle skirt with a wide band of some sort at the waist. I have no idea on what patterns to use, and I was wondering if you wise ladies have any ideas! ;D

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 03:18:25 AM »
Hi meeshkin! 

Glad you found us.  Your prom dress plan sounds very intriguing.  Are you thinking of a purchased bustier?  That would be the easiest if you're a beginning sewer because they're quite involved.  The skirt should be easy though, and you could attach it to the bustier if you like.  However, many bustiers finish below the waist, and it would probably be more flattering to have the skirt begin at the bottom of the bustier.  You could either just have it on elastic or a ribbon/band around your waist under the bustier or you could actually stitch it to the bottom or lower inside of the bustier.  You may have noticed that tutus generally begin below the waist, which makes your waist look smaller since all the fullness isn't concentrated there.

Tell us more about your plans.

You may already know that this board has lots of neat features that you will want to try.  If you have any questions or need help with anything, just ask the Administrators or Moderators.

There are a couple of threads that may be of interest to you as you look around the site, and which can truly answer almost any question about how to post things here, including photos and avatars and signature links.

The "Are You New, Please Read This Thread First" is a good place to start, and

Forum Decorum & FAQ is Answers Central, where you'll find each post titled with its own subject, so it's easy to find exactly what you are looking for.  :)

And there's the ever-popular Sandbox where you can try out all the features, and which is a very easy place to get help or have questions answered when you can't quite get it from the FAQ.

There's also a very good Search feature, and you'll get the best results if you use the Advanced Search button.

Again, welcome, and it's great to have you here!  :)

Offline SarahLouWho

• Sarah
    • In a Nutshell, Anachronism
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 05:15:14 AM »
Meeshkin,
I would look at a few of the tutorials, and some petticoat patterns.  I made my Prom dress for Junior year. 

Buy your bustier first to figure out where to make your skirt hit... There are LOTS of websites out there for them, and I'd have fun with it!  I make lots of petticoats, so I know a bit about tuelle... Good luck!
My blog about sewing and life: In a Nutshell, Anachronism

Offline mikki

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 07:17:38 AM »
Hi! Im so grateful to chance upon this topic! I'm looking to re-create a layered tulle skirt that looks something like the attached. Because im a us size 20, I cant seem to find it anywhere! :'( Need this as part of a bridesmaid dress.

Offline Graceful585

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »
I have found this lovely tulle skirt (I've attached a pic) I'd like to make.  I don't have a pattern, never have made a pattern.  I especially like the  drop-waist band as it makes the skirt more figure flattering not too poofy.  I would like to make this but do not have a pattern.  Any thoughts of where I might find a pattern, the lovely sage green tulle?  Thank you so much...I have sewn since a little girl but I've never created a pattern but have sewn from a pattern.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »
If you google "sage green tulle" you'll get some links, but many of them require that you purchase the entire bolt.

There's a celedon matte tulle sold by the yard on this site  http://www.joann.com/matte-tulle/zprd_10449056a/#

And here's a pattern that you might use McCalls 6289 (just lengthen the skirt)

HTH,
Kathryn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics