Author Topic: Fray Check Substitute  (Read 20379 times)

Offline LauraBell

Fray Check Substitute
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »
Does anybody use a product they like better than Fray-Check?  I"m looking for a product that dries clear and  flexible.  I'm fed up with the stiffness of FC.
Any help will be most appreciated.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
Re: Fray Check Substitute
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
June Tailor makes a similar product called Fray Block that comes in a tube.  I've tried it, and I didn't care for it because it's so very liquid that it just wants to pour out of the tube.  I know Kathryn (fzxdoc) applies whichever she uses (I'm not sure if it's the Fray Check or the Fray Block) with the eye of a large darning needle.  This would give you perfect control over both the placement and the amount, and solve the too-liquid problem too.  I've never had a problem with Fray Check being too stiff, so I generally use it.  I mostly use it for buttonholes, and it's stiff immediately after it dries, but it softens up fairly quickly.  Where are you using it that you're noticing the stiffness, and does it remain stiff forever?

Offline LauraBell

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »
Liana~
I am using the Fray-Check for buttonholes. I also put it on with a pin head or needle. I haven't worn the jacket yet (the one you helped me line  :) ), so maybe I  am premature in my criticism.  It's been a while since I've done buttonholes.  Having said that, maybe I need a fresh bottle. The lining came out GREAT, by the way.

Offline makeupmaven

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
Sandra Betzina sings praises about Fray Block in her classes.

Gail

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 08:59:10 PM »
LauraBell, I'm so glad your jacket came out well!  I hope the buttonholes don't stay stiff, and I hope we'll get to see a photo of it soon.   :)

Gail, If SB says it's great, then it must be great.  She's certainly an expert, and I know I've heard others say they like the product very much.  :)

Offline Ann C

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:40:22 AM »
I'm another one that doesn't care for Fray Block.  I suppose for the same reason as Liana.  I just couldn't control it like I can the Fray Check!  It does make the buttonholes stiff at first but after they are used a couple of times, they seem to soften right up.  I ended up putting the FrayBlock in the back of my drawer - probably ought to throw it away as I don't think I'll ever use it again.

Offline Debbie Cook

• Hard to believe, but this board allows me as a
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:29 AM »
Here's a vote for Fray Block over Fray Check. FB never stains or dries hard/scratchy but I've had problems with both using FC. FB comes in a metal toothpaste-like tube, which I just puncture at the tip with a pin so it doesn't run out too quickly. I just ran out of FB (mad at myself because I usually have a backup tube) and was forced to use the bottle of FC that I have. Ick.

Good thing we have choices since we all have different opinions.   ;D

Offline joan71

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 04:06:57 AM »
Fray Block for me too.  Like Debbie, I just prick the opening with a pin, then I re-insert the pin in to store upright.

Joan

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:09:34 PM »
As Liana mentioned, I much prefer Fray Block over Fray Check.  It is not as stiff, and dry cleans well.  I never have enough courage to hold the tip of any anti-fray bottle over my fabrics, which is why I always use a chubby darning needle to get the Fray Block on the exact area.  I used to use a toothpick, but I find the darning needle works better for me, since the stuff rolls off of it more easily.

Kathryn

Offline LauraBell

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 09:05:31 PM »
Wow! I used Fray Block for the first time today and I can really see what ya'll were talking about concerning liquidity of this product (!) This stuff moves!   It's not stiff though, and that was my orginal complaint.  What I want is probably something in between Fray-Check and Fray Block, but that's just another example of what I want and what I can have being two different things.  :) I'm thinking the Fray Block product would really be improved with a teeny-tiny little applicator brush.
Thanks for all the opinions.  Ya'll are great.

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 02:44:46 AM »
You could try an eyeliner brush.  K

Offline WesternWilson

• Greenwich Minus Eight
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:09:52 PM »
I have used Fray Chek for a long, long time, beginning with using it to secure cross stitching on tea towels (which then went through the washer and dryer a million times...the towels fell apart before the stitching!). I often use it now on edges of fabric before laundering and pressing, on points in stuffed toys that I think might fray, ie. the beak point of a stuffed bird, or anywhere I think a seam will be under huge stress and might degrade.

I like Fray Chek. It does feel odd and a bit stiff at first but quickly "works in" and becomes invisible and sufficiently soft.

That said, I will give Fray Block a try next time I have to restock, and see how I like that product!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics