Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Stitcher's Guild is sponsored in part by:
styleARC Sewing Patterns

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer 2017 6PAC (6 piece seasonal sew along) (May - July)  (Read 21469 times)

ejvc

• O/T Politics
  • Plan-bot and machine knitting cryptographer.
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
Summer 2017 6PAC (6 piece seasonal sew along) (May - July)
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »

Ah summer!!!  Either unbearably hot or a welcome ( but shor)t respite from the winter's chill -- summer is a time for outdoors, long evenings spent having meals and discussing topics important and unimportant with friends.  Fashion is more casual, with fewer layers...

Join us in a 6-piece sew along for a basic summer wardrobe, something that you will augment with jewellery and scarves and the most fabulous shoes you can find.  For this sew along, the guidelines are:

- one summer layer -- a lightweight cardigan or jacket -- in a neutral shade
- two summer tops, one coloured and one neutral or a print that combines colour and neutral
- two summer bottoms, one neutral and one colour or two neutrals
- one dress in a colour or neutral/colour print; alternatively, a second layer in neutral or colour

"Neutrals" for summer tend to be lighter in tone  -- I suggest stone, taupe, white, cream, grey, faded grey-blue, faded olive and so forth.  Colours are things on the rainbow and paler variants :-)

For example, you work in a southern city where the heat and air conditioning are both unbearable.  You need to work all day in an office and look professional but not melt when you exit the building.  You choose natural grey-beige linen and make a proper lined blazer, a pair of pleated, wide trousers and a knee-length skirt with an asymmetric hem.  You also make two lightweight blouses, one in a pink-and-cream linen print and one in white eyelet lace.  Finally, you make a sleeveless shell dress in lavender linen(checking first that it goes with the jacket).  You already have a white cardigan that you keep at work so you should be good to go - the pale backgrounds will be a brilliant foil for your collection of Hermes scarves.

Summer will be spent in your lakeside cabin working on your next novel.  You plan to see no one, except to go to dinner with the local celebrity who is also your neighbour.  You decide that arty and comfortable are your watchwords.   You pick a knee-length long loose vest wrap vest in a black and white print and a matching long black gauze shirt jacket.  Two pair of loose pants, one black and one white, and two basic t-shirts, one white and one black.  Easy sew, easy wear.

It may be summer, but you're not letting your style slip -- you're on your way to the big city.  You make yourself a pair of houndstooth pleated shorts with a blush silk belt; and a black and white mini-check mini-skirt, a pale blush lace cardigan, two simple tanks (one black one white), and a simple burgundy sheath dress.  Go anywhere, do anything.

You have three kids at home for the summer, and not much money (OK, basically no money), although you do have a tiny stash.  You upcycle a pair of old indigo jeans into a casual summer skirt, and use a nice piece of heavy plain white cotton from decorating remnants to make another one.  Four Goodwill t-shirts make two wonderful embellished Alabama Chanin-style tanks in pea green and white, and you unwind a hideous white cotton monstrosity to make a pretty white bolero with a bit of hand-tooled lace on the Incredible Sweater Machine someone gave you.  Finally two identical mens blue-and-white  pinstripe dress shirts are converted to a retro gathered-waist shirt-dress.   You get a great wardrobe and your oldest starts sewing along with you

Summer means only one thing to do: dresses, dresses, dresses.  You pooh-pooh the 6PAC guidelines and make a rainbow of five gorgeous frocks in giant flower prints, each more outrageous than the last.  You top them all with a short black sequinned sweater as you laugh in the face of the fashion rules.  Its OK, we love you anyway.

You are in the southern hemisphere, which means winter.  Probably your winter is kind of like Swedish summer, but if not -- the winter guidelines are similar, though generally without a dress, since two layers are considered necessary by my winter-loving soul.

I wish you all the best in this friendly sew-along.

Remember: think SIMPLE, think QUICK, think BASIC, but bring your best fabrics and your A sewing game.

Don't worry if you don't finish, it's more challenging that it first appears until you learn the "simple and quick" rule...
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

MaryAnn

Re: Summer 2017 6PAC (6 piece seasonal sew along) (May - July)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »

Well, Elizabeth, this is so enticing, that I am strongly considering participating this time, instead of just lurking and reading about everyone's progress. After all, I have a collection of great navy blue linens and some white ones, also. I think it's time they got off the shelf and into the closet.

Saashka

• sewing in the Washington, D.C. area
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:52:59 PM »

Yay, I'm in. I've been inspired by a recent post (or series, I can't remember) on The Vivienne Files and have put together a preliminary plan.

Tops: one red rayon jersey, one light gray cotton jersey - both Jalie dolman top pattern
Cardigan: light gray wool/silk/nylon yarn - You Wear It Well pattern (yarn and pattern ordered this morning)
Bottoms: one red, one black - not sure yet if these will be skirts or shorts
Dress: black and red linen/rayon - sleeveless shift dress from SFD shirt kit

This is my off-duty wardrobe - I've been mostly neglecting it for years and it shows. I have some favorites from last year's SWAP that have come out of winter hibernation and this 6-PAC is meant to add to them for a more versatile but still compact wardrobe. The first red top is already on my cutting table, partly sewn during the week. I think I'll finish it tonight.

Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:14:10 PM »

I'm in!
Not making leggings or tee-shirts this time around. I fancy a whole new approach to wardrobe building but where to start? thanks for posting Elizabeth.

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »

Green Collection
Thank you Elizabeth. I get the feeling North Derbyshire summer is kind of like Swedish summer.
I am definitely in. I'm wanting to explore that olive green I mentioned months back.
I have a jacket partly constructed, plan is to finish that and make some other things which will go with it.
I'm not sure the exact direction this will go but I'll get those fabrics out again and have a think.

Sew Ruthie Sews

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 10:17:48 PM »

These are the fabrics
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/fabrics-for-green-collection.html

(apologies for the separate posts, was getting some sort of error before)

Melinda_B

• Better Than I Planned
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 11:55:26 PM »

You are in the southern hemisphere, which means winter.  Probably your winter is kind of like Swedish summer, but if not -- the winter guidelines are similar, though generally without a dress, since two layers are considered necessary by my winter-loving soul.

Just out of curiosity, what is a swedish summer like?
Melinda

Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Elephun

• O/T Politics
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 01:25:22 AM »

A new 6PAC season to get me into gear. I'm in!

I haven't made great progress in terms of finishing items these last few PAC seasons, or for SWAP, but I've done lots and lots of good behind the scenes stuff: flat pattern work, fitting, muslins, moving patterns to manila, abandoning certain projects whose time was up, etc. I've still got a lot of projects going. Most of these are going to look very familiar to you so I'm not going to bother you with the details, except to say that the picture shows what I've got going now, and all the items either go together or go with my existing wardrobe. There is plenty to "pick 6" from here.

Click for larger image

I think I'm going to pick up the snap on invisible zipper foot for my machine tomorrow, as it will be easier to use than the generic I've been using. That will be a motivator to actually finish some of these things.

I also want to put a base on my dress form so I can roll it around and use it more easily. Right now it sits up on a shelf. Another motivator? I best get on the Google and see what I can find.

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »

I'm going to give it a go this time. Have some ideas but want to get out the patterns before deciding.
Sewing in Cheshire

indigotiger

• O/T Politics
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »

Looking back at my goals for Spring 6PAC, I was a bit, shall we say, overly ambitious... as I am still currently working on my SWAP garments, and only completed one of my overlapping pieces, the dark denim pinafore. Therefore, I have one goal for this Summer 6PAC - to start on the Tabula Rasa jacket pattern, and turn it into a TNT pattern for me. Bev has proven it can successfully be turned into a blouse, which is my own desire as well.

My wardrobe needs a few mid to lightweight cardigans/jackets/sweaters, as well as some lighter blouses for warm weather. I have almost achieved my goal as far as pinafores go. So... my hope for wardrobe sewing for the next three months is:
  • the Alabama Chanin style cardigan I have planned
    (brown and blue jersey, black stenciling, grey stitching)
  • jacquard denim pinafore with spaghetti straps
    (already cut out waiting to be sewn)
  • blouse
  • blouse
  • blouse
  • blouse
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »

I want to get away from black, so I thought I might daisy-chain a 6PAC from one of these prints.
020 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
(the fabric on bottom right is very loud)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:50:51 PM by Lyn-J »

ejvc

• O/T Politics
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 09:41:40 PM »

Hate to break it to you, Lyn, but it's not just the one on the lower right.... ;D ;D

- on Ravelry as ejvc - on Instagram as ej.vc - and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.

Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »

Hate to break it to you, Lyn, but it's not just the one on the lower right.... ;D ;D
:o :o :o - lol
in RL its much louder than the others

JuneBug

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »

Lyn - I like your fabrics, especially the blue roses on the upper left.

I'm in.  DH has voiced the threat that if I don't make or buy some clothes by the time he gets home from the Slope on 5/11, he will make me go buy some.  I hate clothes shopping.

My step son and his darling have decided to essentially elope in a couple of weeks rather than get married in October as planned. Sadly, I will not be needing a travel/wedding guest wardrobe after all. 

The temps have been low 30's-mid 50's (F) and I've only been wearing a silky weight blouse and a 3/4 sleeve cardi with skirts and sandals. I'm dreading summer and it doesn't get that hot here. I have V9246 and a couple of skirt patterns to choose from that would work with the top/jacket. The linen look/blends (that I washed last year) are ready to go. 

Total summer wardrobe:
Skirt: natural
Cropped pant: natural
Jacket: Natural
Tops: mint, white, pink
Skirt and jacket in navy/blue/white yarn dyed stripe
Dresses: Pink and blue

I have neutral sandals and flats for shoes and some natural sun hats.  Just need the clothes...

AnnetteWright

• My Sewing Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 11:35:01 PM »

I'm in, but planning, organization, and list making are skills I don't have.  But I'm still in and will do my best.

Bottoms 1 - black/white cotton/linen blend capris (started today, and completed minus the button/hook closures)
Bottoms 2 - brown/white cotton/linen blend capris
Top 1 - heck if I know
Top 2 - still no clue
Cardi - got a pattern
Dress - wrap dress most likely, and I have lots of options.

Nothing in my stash ever matches, I buy lots of prints, inexpensive, it's very hard for me to buy solids.

Oh, I just finished a navy tropical wool skirt today, and I love how it fits.  I've recently made 4 jeans style skirts (1 dark blue denim, 1 light blue denim, 1 print, 1 khaki).  I've made 4 wrap tops for Spring also in the past few weeks.  So I've made lots of things, using up my stash...but planning what to sew is oh so difficult.

Elephun

• O/T Politics
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 12:22:48 AM »

Lyn- I love your prints!
JuneBug- I guess your hubby knows how to get you to take care of yourself?
Annette- You made a beautiful list. You've got a nice 6PAC forming. It's May 1, for heaven's sake.

I didn't make any progress on sewing anything, not that I thought I would. I pulled my dress form down and put it on a stool, so it's more usable. In order to make room for that, I had to move a large rolling cart out of the room, and I'll be moving the small pedestal bookcase that the coverstitch is on over to the corner where the cart came out of, once I finish killing the ants I found there >:(
Now I'm using the cart in a better place in the house, and I've moved some things I was storing in the sewing room that didn't belong there, and started getting rid of the silly ants, so this is all a good thing, but I got quite a migraine.

Next sewing up is the test version of The Sewing Workshop Chateau, which is cut and pinned, and doing some fitting on the Schnittchen Laisa tee.

After this, I've promised myself to actually finish my existing sewing projects before cutting new ones out. I don't expect to be totally reformed for life, but I want to get through this batch of 13 if I possibly can.

Maybe I'll feel better and get out to buy that invisible zipper foot tomorrow!

Melinda_B

• Better Than I Planned
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 12:52:53 AM »

So this is where my thinking is for a Winter 6PAC.

Our winter's are quite cold, down to just above freezing most mornings, the occasional frost, and an average of 15C (~60F) during the day.  Woolen coats are worn morning and evening, with a couple of lighter layers adequate during the day usually.  As I'm starting a new office job in a few months, I'll need layers, as offices here can be overheated in winter, or as it is on an Army base could well be 'toughen up, wear another jumper' environment. 

- one summer layer -- a lightweight cardigan or jacket -- in a neutral shade
- two summer tops, one coloured and one neutral or a print that combines colour and neutral
- two summer bottoms, one neutral and one colour or two neutrals
- one dress in a colour or neutral/colour print; alternatively, a second layer in neutral or colour

If I take out the reference to summer:
- one layer - teal blue woolen cardigan
- two tops - black wool jersey, print jersey, probably StyleArc pattern that I'm toileing now (toiling?)
- two bottoms - dark brown suiting pants (stash), and ponte skirt
- one dress or second layer - this will most likely be a second jacket or cardigan.  While I would like to increase the dresses in my wardrobe, at this point a warmer second layer will be more useful.  I could well end up making a jacket in the same fabric as the pants.
Melinda

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 05:56:59 AM »

Having said green I have prepped the pattern for the Style Arc Barb pants which I plan to do in navy ponte.
I have been sewing craft items for 3 months and home dec before that so it is a joyous release to actually sew some garments for myself. I had blocked that off for a long time telling myself sternly I had to make the craft items.

Later in the week I shall have a bit of a play in the stash and see what I fancy. oooh exciting.

ejvc

• O/T Politics
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »

15C is considered rather a warm day here, at least now in May, LOL, guess it all depends what you're used to.  In the height of summer we would probably see an average of more like 22C during the day. I'm wearing a light wool sweater now and I think that's a really nice choice for this type of weather -- I just cycled to work wearing that and a down vest.  A light wool coat is also nice.

I don't abandon long sleeved layers in the summer and I love that I'm not forced into shorts in our climate (I lived 8 years in the Philadelphia region and HATED the hot summer). 

I'm planning on doing:

-- plum jeans (still cut..., still waiting)
-- plum print t-shirt (fabric waiting)
-- blue and cream stripe very lightweight boxy sweater  (yarn wound, pattern located)
-- cream cotton lace hoodie  (yarn in my possession, pattern ditto, skill?  TBD)
-- blue jeans (have fabric and pattern)
-- blue and burgundy top (but TBH this doesn't go very well with the layers -- still, it's half done, kind of a spring relic) (I might do a different t-shirt type thing)

I should really get a move on those jeans.

I spent yesterday clearing out my sewing room by piling EVERY SINGLE THING I could find that wasn't properly put away on to my cutting table, vacuuming, and then working through the cutting table.

Lessons learned:
* no more yarn purchases
* do your mending
* what about that embroidery machine then
* OMG how many unfinished projects do you actually HAVE?

Debbie S

• O/T Politics
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »

Well, I'm in for the summer 6PAC.  I am determined to use only stash fabrics with a light gray as one of my neutrals.  Now all I have to do is decide on the second neutral, and this is always the hardest point for me, as I think in terms of outfits and only outfits. I know I will benefit from 6pacs if I can just get my head around it! 

JuneBug

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 08:12:38 AM »

No more buying yarn, Elizabeth?

There is a new yarn shop in town here with the most delightful name: Top of the Whorl.  It used to be a small quilting fabric shop (the owner retired), but a new board recently appeared.  I stopped in today and they have a lovely collection of yarns.  They also give knitting lessons, not that I have time (space) to get involved in anything new, but now I know it's there.

Melinda_B

• Better Than I Planned
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »

15C is considered rather a warm day here, at least now in May, LOL, guess it all depends what you're used to.  In the height of summer we would probably see an average of more like 22C during the day. 

Height of summer here is high 30's C to mid 40's C.  Fortunately it's a dry heat, we rarely have humidity.   ;)
Melinda

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »

I pulled out a 6PAC in dark navy and a slightly turquoise blue today, looks like it could work, will have to see how far I get with it.

Navy ponte pants
Navy ponte skirt
Turquoise cardigan jacket
Navy dress
navy/turq stripe tee
black/white/turq print tee (the one I am least convinced by as its black I think not dark navy)

I think I have some matching turquoisy blue sandals

ejvc

• O/T Politics
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »

Well, I'm in for the summer 6PAC.  I am determined to use only stash fabrics with a light gray as one of my neutrals.  Now all I have to do is decide on the second neutral, and this is always the hardest point for me, as I think in terms of outfits and only outfits. I know I will benefit from 6pacs if I can just get my head around it!

Think of an outfit with two neutrals?  Light grey and white?  Light grey and pale indigo?  Light grey and black?

Also, why two neutrals?  Let's say you pick just light grey and mint green.

- very lightweight grey sweater
- plain mint t-shirt
- grey and mint print t-shirt
- black and white plaid shorts (small plaid that reads as grey)
- mint cropped trousers (live dangerously, it's summer) (or, make the t-shirts long and make mint leggings)
- deeper mint dress

You really don't need two neutrals and a colour.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:11:48 AM by ejvc »

sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 04:21:00 PM »

I need to get  started.  Spring is always a long drawn out affair gradually warming with rain occasionally replacing snow.  Summer seems to leap out of nowhere generally between May 29th and June 1st. No kidding we go from 50F averages to 90 in about a week.  No idea yet what I shall be doing other than abandoning the dark ranges of my colors as I no longer need to worry about snow (and the crap they out on the roads to combat snow) somehow landing on my clothes and permanently staining.  Think I will start by pulling down the summer clothes and trying them on.
sdBev

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »

14 degrees C here today (apparently 57F) on the way home at least, it was only 10 this morning (50F).

I have made good progress cutting out and partially sewing up the Stylearc Barb pants in a dark navy ponte.
However I don't have any lengths of 2" elastic which is long enough, so need to buy that beofre I can finish them.
I like the way the back is much higher than the front (I am that shape). They fit reasonably from the quick try on, ie legs not too tight etc, however will need to check properly once waistband is on as they feel a bit short in the body.
They are very long in the legs, hanging off my feet, so didn't need them that long obviously!

It has been nice to be sewing something for me!

As I am using ponte not bengaline they may be a little casual, and not the office wear they mention, however I have openings in the wardrobe for pants to wear when I come home from work and change out of my work clothes so either way I can use them.

Garden Girl

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »

Why did we need to bring up Summer? Why? Why?!!! Last Tues it was 70 F (21 C). Right now at 2:30 pm it is 90 F (32 C). Ugh. The AC will probably kick on within the hour for the first time this year. Thursday it will be 100 (38). Yes, that hot. Then Sunday will be back to 70, followed by a week of 70's & low 80's. Everybody is already complaining, because we know the typical 30 consecutive days of 100 F plus are not far away.

Sorry. Heat makes me whine. I was dying at the gym this morning. Thursday I'll need to go much earlier. And I'll need some lighter weight clothes. The medium weight linen SA Ethel pants I wore today were too warm, especially with a standard beefy weight tee shirt (with the program logo).  Oh-AC just kicked on at 2:52 PM! Alert the media!  ;D The Ethel is a loose cropped pant so really comfy to exercise in. They were great in Tai Chi yesterday. Yup, I'm also taking Tai Chi classes. I'm up to 4 or 5 days a week of classes or working out.

Apparently I have a great need for athletic wear now. I'm laughing as I write this. Me? Athletic wear?  :o  I don't "do" spandex, am mildly allergic to nylon and just die in polyester so it apparently translates to lightweight cotton or rayon cropped pants, loose please, and sleeveless tees or tanks with sports bras. I'll buy the bras; there's a front hook one I like. So I'll be going for the "small over big" proportion that Louise Cutting speaks of. (Big over small, small over big, small over small. Big over big just makes you look big.)

Colors will depend on what I find around the house. A friend gave me several cotton knits when she gave up trying to sew tees.
I just recently cut out an Ethel in a funky purple cotton and I think one of the floral knits works with it. I'll start there.

Melinda_B

• Better Than I Planned
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »

I have made good progress cutting out and partially sewing up the Stylearc Barb pants in a dark navy ponte.
However I don't have any lengths of 2" elastic which is long enough, so need to buy that beofre I can finish them.

I've used 1" elastic in my Barbs.  It's what I had in the strength it needed.  It works fine.

I like the way the back is much higher than the front (I am that shape).

I added an extra inch to the height at the back, grading from the centre front to 1/2" at the side seams, to a full inch at the centre back.  I needed the extra length to cover my generous derriere.... 

They are very long in the legs, hanging off my feet, so didn't need them that long obviously!

I'm glad it wasn't just me, I had to take I think 2" off the legs.  And I'm not particularly short!
Melinda

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 05:52:18 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback Melinda, I do have plenty of 1" elastic so I could use that I suppose.
I added 1/4" all the way round the top when I cut them out.
I will have to see how I feel about the body length when they are done, as anything utting across the tummy is very uncomfortable after a while.

sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »

So I found my summer clothes yesterday. Put them all on hangers.   I store off season clothes in air tight boxes.  I know they are clean as in free of dust because I put them away after cleaning. But I threw a few lavender scented dryer sheets in the box and thhe contents are now highly aromatic and surprisingly wrinkled.  I must have really stuffed those boxes.  I cant tell how they fit until the wrinkles are gone.  So far I ve ironed the shorts.  Hoping the shorts will fit.  Somehow shorts never have the same fitting issues as my pants with long legs.  Thinking most of the tops will have dreadful drapes which I now know how to fix....but... they are the kind of wrinkles that have to be fixed before I cut fabric.  Think its likely most od the tops will be trash or donation.
sdBev

BinMI

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 10:56:26 PM »

I don't need summer clothes so I am going to revisit my Search & Rescue 6PAC.

2 bottoms - cargo pants, 1 navy (have fabric), 1 tan (already cut out)
2 tops - 1 blue button down(need to find easy care fabric), 1 neon yellow tee (re-make men's tee)
2 toppers - 1 fleece vest (neon yellow, started), 1 navy fleece jacket (purchased)

My dog is close to being "mission ready" and the only cargo pants that really work are the ones I made last summer, but I got bleach on them so they are kind of grubby looking.

Lisanne

• southern England
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 03:05:19 PM »

My dog is close to being "mission ready" and the only cargo pants that really work are the ones I made last summer, but I got bleach on them so they are kind of grubby looking.

Aren't you supposed to look grubby for Search & Rescue  ;D
Congratulations on getting your dog ready.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Susan in Saint John

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 12:25:47 AM »

I'm thinking about the summer 2017 6PAC.  I'm off to Edmonton at the end of the month to Couture School with Susan Khalje.  I'm going to make a long or tea length Marfy skirt and a matching/coordinating somewhat fitted top.  There will be excess fabric from the skirt and I have another piece of fabric which coordinates well -- don't know how this is going to work out.  I have to complete the muslins before I go. 

The top will have princess seams and possibly a yoke or a peplum to use the long narrow pieces of fabric left from the skirt.  There may or may not be short sleeves depending on fabric available.  I know I'm going to have to add a zipper to the top but I am realizing that I am no longer flexible enough to manage a full length centre back zipper.  I'm hoping to make the neckline large enough to easily go over my head and then use a side seam zipper.

These 2 pieces will coordinate with 2 jackets that I've already made.  Perhaps this will inspire me to complete a dressy 6PAC which includes a bottom or two and/or a top or 3.  The colours are ivory/cream/pale peach/pale caramel so it will have a summer feel.

Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »

My 6 pac is coming together.

I have the navy ponte Style Arc Barb pants cut out and mostly constructed.
I have also cut out and partly constructed a long flared skirt from the ponte and I have cut out a Vogue dress with 3/4 sleeves also in navy ponte.

So that's pants, skirt and dress all in navy.

I have a jacket planned from a blue Gurli throw from IKEA. It's a blue turquoise which goes well with some sandals I have but not much in my stash as the other turquoises are greener.
I found one dark navy, blue and stone stripe knit which would work as a top, and I think p!ain stone as the other.

That would be a jacket and two tops.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:25:32 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns LA Finch Fabrics
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here