Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

A big Thank-You to everyone who has ever contributed financially to our site! If you contributed in 2017, please send me a private message with your real name, so I can credit you with a subscription for 2018. :)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Style Arc Patterns  (Read 46735 times)

Helen M

• Paid Member
Re: Style Arc Patterns
« Reply #315 on: April 04, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »

There are 2 new patterns out for April, 1 of them is available for as a Freebie from the StyleArc site as either a PDF or a printed pattern.

First up is the Ariana sundress and the other is Miley woven top with a hem and sleeve flounce. The Miley is one of the 2 freebies for this month.

Not sure our climate calls for the rather nice sundress but I quite like the Miley top.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #316 on: April 04, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »

Pass on Arianna I like bra strap friendly.  However Miley is cute and possible. I like the small flounce and the tie.  Would probably replace the tie with elastic.  Had a blouse that tied up like that. hated it.  Tie would come undone and Id be in the bathroom fussing with my accutrouments.  Even worse was ironing.  Had to be untied and pulled straight, at which point ties were nearly swallowed up by their channels.  So wouldnt use the ties unless purely decorative with elastic permanently gathering.  Cute though.  Worth a thought.

....think Ill pin it....
sdBev

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »

Bev that's a really good idea for replacing the tie, otherwise as you say they'd get everywhere!
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #318 on: April 05, 2018, 02:23:10 AM »

Bev that's a really good idea for replacing the tie, otherwise as you say they'd get everywhere!
Thank you helen. I know I am not a true fashionista.  I dont like to fuss with my clothing.  I like to get dressed; go out in the world and place my attention on the people around me. 

I definitely don't fit in to what looks to me as a self-obsessed generation.
sdBev

mudcat

• Paid Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #319 on: April 05, 2018, 04:01:13 AM »

When I saw the Miley in the email I didn't think I liked it but looking on the SA web site I kind of do.  Finally a sleeve treatment I can get behind.  I might take it for a freebie as I'm interested in both the Parker and the Teddy by Two outfits. I seem to be a sucker for SA outfits.  I already have the Lotti. I'm almost sure it was a freebie a long time ago.

I like the way the ties look but they are a hassle especially when washing hands or doing dishes and such.  I'm also not really much for sleeves in general. I prefer sleeveless or 3/4 sleeves.  I wonder how the Miley would look at 3/4 length?

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #320 on: April 05, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »

I was wondering about a 3/4 sleeve option as well Mudcat.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2018, 10:30:41 AM »

Not sure if everyone got the email offering 25% off these patterns for World Health Day

It continues until Saturday and you can also claim one of the Freebies. I think you also get VAT off the price shown on the 'Sale' page as my total was very reasonable, and the exchange rate for the UKŁ/AUS$ is once again becoming favourable.

I chose the Besharl top (+ Miley freebie), I think I'll straighten out the front seams but I fancied the extended shoulder style rather than a sleeve to wear under a lightweight cardigan.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

angelsweb

• Paid Member
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »

Thank you helen. I know I am not a true fashionista.  I dont like to fuss with my clothing.  I like to get dressed; go out in the world and place my attention on the people around me. 

I definitely don't fit in to what looks to me as a self-obsessed generation.

I hate fussing with my clothing too. That's why I'm taking a pass on most of the fussy sleeve details this season ... but the Miley is kinda cute.

I think that moving my attention from attention-getting clothes to clothes that don't get in the way of interacting with others has come with age. Two cancer diagnoses, plus losing my Mom and sister to cancer in a year-and-a-half, have reminded me that I need to focus on those I love and less on what clothes I'm wearing at the moment.

That said, I'm sure I was pretty self-obsessed with clothing when I was younger ... after all, I started college as a fashion and retailing major.

Angelia

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »

Maybe you could leave the frill off from the bottom of the sleeve Angelia? I have short arms and gauging the correct length is always a problem unless it's just a plain hem.

There is a new mid month pattern on the website today Meghan Jacket. I like it because it's a waterfall without the droopy hem which I don't care for. I square them off on things I've made in that style.

I think I'd make the sleeves plain as well.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »

I'm having fun with the Lacey dress... just right for a summer easy to wear.  It has a similar construction to the Ada top but with less straight up and down seams.  I've tweaked it a bit and need to do a bit more but since it can be made either with knits or wovens, I can see this being a really useful pattern for tops as well as dresses.  ;D

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »

Thanks for recommendation Bookish. I have that pattern and plan to make it this summer.

Style Arc has a sale of 'warmer items' on its site until Sunday. Link here sale
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:59:08 PM by Helen M »
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »

Lacey Dress, cont.
I lengthened the top (thank you Nancy Zieman) and did a trial run with some pieces of very lightweight rayon jersey.  Yay!  It worked very well.  The seaming supports the jersey which I like as that lightweight rayon has a tendency to droop most unbecomingly.  This pattern is definitely a keeper!

Now mind you, I had a stack of chores to do, but this was much more satisfying. ;D

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #327 on: June 22, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »

Here is a recently posted YouTube tutorial from StyleArc patterns. Interesting way to put in a pocket and elastic in casing for a waistband.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILM4Ht24b2Q&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=SendGrid&utm_medium=email

marciae

• Paid Member
« Reply #328 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:05 PM »

Sewsy - thanks for posting.  I enjoyed watching

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #329 on: June 22, 2018, 11:33:51 PM »

Thank you sewsy.  I live sewing videos of any kind. This one is particularly welcome as I ordered the new pant patter along with the light blue Bengaline last night.

Marcia, have I commented thats a great avatar?  Well it is.
sdBev

AnnetteB

• Paid Member
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2018, 04:38:01 AM »

Thank you Sewsy for posting the link to the Style Arc tutorial. What a great resource!!
Annette
near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #331 on: July 13, 2018, 10:21:40 PM »

I'm planning on getting some SryleArc patterns.

I picked out these and then had second thoughts

The trousers are very wide looking and two of the tops are sleeveless (and I don't have great arms)

What are your favourite StyleArc patterns?
I do wear pants (trousers) a lot, but have stopped wearing my one pair of palazzos after outfit photos showed they make me look very chunky.
I wear lots of cardigans, knit tops, stretch jackets. Occasionally skirts and dresses (but not often)

I'm measuring mostly a size 18 StyleArc at the moment, but am working actively to lose weight, so maybe will buy the 16 in the hope of getting 18-16-14 as my sizes. Do you think that would work?

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »

Ruthie I'll start with the trousers. Are you wanting a pull on or with a zip fastening?

I love the Barb but have also made the Tessa (without pockets) a couple of years ago in a fine viscose. I think I made the legs a bit slimmer but just took them in either as I made them or afterwards I can't remember. I have worn them a lot this summer. I probably also slimmed the body to make them more or less just wide enough to pull on and they fit nice and flat without too much fullness. You could always try the Linda which is a slightly wider leg to the Barb (the back angle of the body is different to the Barb). They were the first pair I made and used a stretch gabadine to which I added a crease as they seemed to need it.

I have the Leah lounge pant and want to make it up. There is a blog on Clothspot about them, they don't seem as wide as the line drawing. There is also the Natasha which comes in 3 lengths.

I haven't made any of the tops you were thinking of but the drop sleeved one I was attracted to. My favourite 'go to' for a top is the Alannah T Shirt which sits well under cardigans. It's a 'relaxed' T shirt really but can look quite smart. I've started to make mine a bit shorter if I'm wearing them with smarter pants or under a jacket (vary rarely but it fits the bill for that too).

Hope this is a start for you!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:38:37 PM by Helen M »
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #333 on: July 14, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »

Thank you Helen. I#ll take a look at those and have a think.

I have made the Barb's up a few times but only for casual. I have a relaxed personal style but an office job, so am always looking for things which are comfortable to wear but look reasonably smart.
I have a few challenge areas at the current weight
- fat upper arms, so need sleeves really but many sleeves are too tight.
- large derriere (always have this so am quite good at alterations for it by now)
- big thighs, but slimmer calves, so skinny pants don't really work, but a slightly tapering leg is better than a wide one
- big tummy but not much bust, and quite broad shoulders, so can take some detail in the upper chest but need plain and boring round the tummy

mudcat

• Paid Member
« Reply #334 on: July 14, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »

I wish I could be of more help.  Of the five I have two of them (the two on the left) but have not yet made them. 

As far as pants, I've made the Linda and the Beth but they are similar to the Barb.

Bookish

• Paid Member
« Reply #335 on: July 14, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »

I second the vote for either the Linda or Tessa patterns for pants... they're a bit wider than the Barbs,  but not in palazzo territory.  I'm short and um, rectangular and wide leg pants do me no favor at all so these are my go to patterns when I want something other than the Barbs.  I check the info Style Arc gives about leg opening measurements... 15" to 18" work for me. 

For tops, my current favorite is the Sian... can be woven, knit or both and the center seam does wonders for dlstracting, shall we say, from the center front.  I too am short on bust measurement and long on er, waist.

Your style is a constant inspiration to me...  :applause2:

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #336 on: July 14, 2018, 11:08:56 PM »

I spent some more time on the StyleArc site, clicking looking, thinking.
No decisions thus far.

So thank you for the suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

Re trousers I currently have RTW trousers from Debenhams in lots of different colours. The fit is adequate and they are work suitable so I don't actually need trousers. However they don't do all the colours I would like ie no dark teal.
I have two main style I like when I sew them pull on and side zip.
I've used New Look 6216 for the pull on trousers and they work very well indeed so not sure I need another style of those at the moment.

These work for a woven without stretch so should be good for my dark teal I have planned. In my fabric resources I have more woven trousers fabric than stretch. So it would make sense to make woven trousers.

Re layers I am definitely going to try the Nina Cardigan as one piece. I like open fronted jackets and kimono styles, though I don't see much of those in SA.

Tops wise I either want a simple relaxed blouse or a tee that has some interesting details.

Skirts I hardly wear so doesn't seem worth getting yet more skirt patterns.

Dresses I wear occasionally, especially for occasions. I like the idea of ones which can be a top or dress.

AnnetteB

• Paid Member
« Reply #337 on: July 14, 2018, 11:40:30 PM »

Hi Ruthie,

I made up the Nina cardigan a few years ago using a fine Merino wool in black. I love it and take it with me every time we travel. It rolls up into a very small ball and is great as an extra layer. Because the fabric is so fine, the skirt part drapes beautifully. I don't think I've ever worn a belt with it.

I recently made up the Misty Stretch Pull On Jean using Bengaline and lengthened my crotch length. I added a separate waistband with elastic inside rather than just finishing them off with the elastic as per the pattern. They came together really well and I love the shape of the back and the pockets. Only thing I would change for my next pair is to either eliminate the front pockets as they are too small or make them larger. I made up a Size 16. You may consider these a bit casual for work but I wouldn't hesitate to wear them out at night if I was going out to dinner.  I would wear a long top and no-one would see any of my bulges.

For tops, I like the Ann top. I recently made up the Ada Knit Top which has been in my stash for years. This was also a very easy make. I think the style is flattering for me - generous ease over tummy and hips.

If you can purchase the PDF patterns and they include 18, 16 and 14, that would work for me. I recently made up the Madison Top in a Size 16 and it's way too big. (I made a mistake when I ordered the pattern.) Whereas the Ada was a Size 14 and this size fits me best of all. Naturally, if the pattern was snug around the waist/hip, I would make an adjustment to include more ease in these areas. I do find that Style Arc patterns run very true to their measurement chart.

Have fun!!
Annette
near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia

sdBev

• Paid Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #338 on: July 15, 2018, 03:25:03 AM »

Ruthie
Ive learned to check the leg hem circumference.  Any more than 2” makes me look like a short, wide-based pyramid.  YMMV.
sdBev

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #339 on: July 15, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »

Thanks Bev, the palazzos are from a book - GBSB From Stitch to Style and are the Palazzo Pant pattern.
They are enormous and have a deep hem so I could recut them into something better fitting for sure.

The finished hem width is 33"
They are in the sewing room for unpicking and recutting into slimmer trousers. Probably New Look 6216.
I like the fabric a lot so it is worth doing.
I think I prefer the Tessa over the Linda but not sure what they give me that New Look 6216 doesn't already.

OK the Nina cardigan stays for sure. I wondered also about the Terry Tie Cardi and the Ella Frill Knit Cardi.

The Ann top has gathering around the tummy area, does this disguise or show off? Otherwise the shape is very similar to my existing New Look 6735 top which I've made a lot. I rebought the pattern so I could make the top in a larger size.

I don't wear jeans a lot so not sure I would get much use out of the Misty jeans if I had the pattern.

I'm going to be purchasing PDF, but not sure which 3 sizes you actually get. I only plan to get slimmer from the 18 down!

misschris

• Paid Member
« Reply #340 on: July 15, 2018, 08:23:29 AM »

When buying from the Style Arc website, you get the size you order, one larger and one smaller. If you buy from SA 's Etsy store, the patterns are listed in groups of 3 sizes.  You can request a different combination on Etsy.
Melbourne, Australia

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2018, 08:25:55 AM »

Ruthie I'm assuming that you are going to order from the SA website and not from Etsy. You choose a size and you automatically get one size either side of your chosen one. You can obviously choose a different size for tops and bottoms.

I once read that you should never buy a skirt without a top unless you have the right one to go with it or the skirt will remain an orphan in your wardrobe. I'd say it works for patterns too! I discarded several RTW skirts that I never wore probably because I hadn't followed that 'rule'.

Bookish thanks for the reminder about the Sian top, it's in my pile........ ;)
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Sew Ruthie Sews

• Paid Member
« Reply #342 on: July 15, 2018, 11:00:37 AM »

Yes I'm buying PDFs from their store at https://www.stylearc.com/
So if I measure as an 18, but am losing weight (5lbs down so far but its sloooooooooooooooow) I would order the 16 to get the 18-16-14.
Apparently I have size 22/24 upper arms which explains all the sleeve issues. I'll need to do one of my many fat arm alterations as not buying that size just to get the sleeve

mudcat

• Paid Member
« Reply #343 on: July 15, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »

Also, buying from the SA site gives you one of the freebies while Etsy does not.

I've found with the patterns for knits or stretch fabric I go down a size from what their measurement charts suggest I should wear but that may or may not work for others.

Helen M

• Paid Member
« Reply #344 on: July 15, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »

Ruthie if you're buying more than one pattern and are not in a hurry I'd stagger your order so you get a chance of an extra freebie!
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here