Author Topic: Help with my Machine White 1099 from 1982  (Read 5418 times)

Offline lisa.naturegirl

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Help with my Machine White 1099 from 1982
« on: April 02, 2008, 04:27:21 AM »
Hi Ladies!  I did some sewing back in the early 80's after buying a White 1099 Jeans Machine sewing machine, had it serviced because stitches got bunched up on bottom of the fabric. Recently, cleaned it, and tried to sew for Christmas...  Same thing happened, bunching of thread. I was using the right thread, needle, and tension for the fabric -- got one neat line of sewing (a hem) then it bunched up again, could not get it to stop. Please give me some advice-- is this machine known for being "excellent" or should I start over and get a new one?  I have no problem paying to get it repaired if it is worth fixing. Advice is much appreciated.

Lisa

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
Re: Help with my Machine White 1099 from 1982
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 11:31:42 PM »
Lisa

I don't know anything about your machine, but once in a while I had the same problem with my mechanical Singer, which is a couple of years older than your white.

Start with a newly wound bobbin and try again. I think the timing is off on yours, so if you wind a new bobbin full, the wound bobbin will have been wound with the same timing as the machine is running today.

Good heavens, what tense is that, "will have been wound" future pluperfect?  Sorry for the digression, I am a closet grammar freak!

HTH

Offline lisa.naturegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:08 PM »
Thanks for answering my post. I"m still hoping to get info on my machine. I used a newly wound bobbin this Christmas when i had such big sewing plans... 

You crack me up with your grammar comments. My friend and I were discussing our mothers' critiquing our use of "lay, lie, lying, laying... "  Never can seem to get that "grammatically correct," and makes us feel small when our mothers correct us--- in our mid-late 40's now!

Lisa

Offline kath

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »
Is the thread making a nest or is it sort of like gathering?

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »
Lisa, the White Jeans Machine is not very high up on the quality scale.  I fear you will have continuing trouble even if you do get it serviced.  If you do decide to replace it, I would suggest that you look at the Janome machines, or if you have a dealer near you---an Elna.  The tension on those machines always seems to be wonderful, if not perfect.  I have 2 Elna sewing machines, and an Elna serger.  Wouldn't trade them for anything else.

First step, you probably should take it in for an estimate on what is wrong and the expense of fixing it.  Then you can decide what to do.  Some machines are known for getting "out of timing."  The only thing to do with them is to get rid of them. 

Offline lisa.naturegirl

Re: Help with my Machine White 1099 from 1982 - Martha Domke
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Thank you for your input!  Everyone I ask is unfamiliar with the machine, so your input was very helpful. This would be the 2nd time I would be repairing this machine for the same problem, and as Kath asked about the thread mess -- it is much like a nest, the stitching is inconsistent in length, spacing, and becomes a nasty nest on the bottom of the fabric. Does not matter what needle, fabric, thread, etc I use.  I will check into the Janome and Elna. Since you have Elna, I think I'll look for one first. I am in the San Francisco Bay area between S.F. and Sacramento in N. CA.  There are oodles of places to shop, so I'm hoping the brand is available. We have a lot of JoAnne's stores which sell sewing machines, but I have not shopped for one since 82.  Again, thank you for your input, I greatly appreciate it;)

Lisa

Offline kath

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:33:37 PM »
I guess that means there is a tension problem or a timing problem.  Is the top thread feeling tight when the presser foot is down and loose when it's up.  White used to be Vikings second line. They had so many problems that many stores don't even carry them.  I would second the janome, but add Viking and Bernina particularly if you can find a not very old used one
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:25:30 PM by kath »

Offline lisa.naturegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »
Kath,

:D Thanks for the other names. I do remember some experimenting with the foot up because I was having so many problems. I didn't pay attention to the top thread, but it seemed normal, it was just the bottom that got all jumbled and the stitches were erratic. I am glad you explained about the White. I bought it from a dealer in Oakland CA in 1982 when I was about 19.  I knew nothing about machines back than. It was exp;ensive for 1982. I'm afraid to ask how much the new ones cost  :'(

I will check into the brands you and Martha suggested.

Lisa

ETC code for 1st smilie...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:56:52 PM by Lisa »

Offline kath

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 08:24:04 PM »
If you thread the machine you have to have the presser foot up, because if you don't there will be a mess at the bottom

Offline lisa.naturegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »
Hi Kath,

Thanks for your response :D

Can you explain in more detail what you mean. When I thread the entire machine, I do have the foot up to enable me to thread the needle. When I put thread on the bobbin, I believe it's in the down position. I have tried sewing with the foot up, because the mess happened with the foot down. But it also happened with the foot up, to a more severe extent. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, I do not have a vast experience as a seamstress; I'm a wanna-bee!

Lisa

Offline lisa.naturegirl

Re: Help buying new model
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »
Hi Ladies,

I just looked up Janome and there are dealers in my area. The serger is a Janome, I now know that. I also was recommended the Bernina and Viking. A relative just gave me her Singer 301A. I have not had time to see if this will work on canvas or for my other projects.  I am not sure why she gave it to me, and often what I get for free doesn't work, or work well. I plan on giving it a test run, but would still like suggestions on a real good one that I wont' have to repair often, and one that will be easy to use for my multitude of projects. I've been doing a lot of hand sewing through the years with my challenging White machine collecting dust.

Will you please tell me what features I should have, and list any models you recommend that I'd find in stores if possible. I don't want a used model, unless I get advice that people have had good luck... I'd rather start out with a newbie.

I will be sewing canvas, velvet, fabrics, hemming, buttonholes, curtains, pillows, so diversity is good.

Lisa

Offline kath

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »
When you thread the machine with the top thread the presser foot must be up.  If the presser foot is down and you thread the top thread, there will be mess on the bottom.  Have you tried holding onto the thread tails?
What you should look for are things that make it easy, needle up/down, Memorize button hole if doing multiples, a walking foot or dual feed for velvet, a DC  or a strong stepper motor  if doing upholstery.  Do you want to do embroidery?  do you want automatic tensions?

My older Berninas 160 and 1020 have been very tough and very little in maintenance required
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:13:33 PM by kath »

Offline lisa.naturegirl

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
Thank you Kath. Appreciate your input  :P

Offline Karendee

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »

Lisa,

FYI, the Singere 301A is a wonderful machine and will sew canvas. If the machine has been taken care of, it is certainly worth have serviced by a professional. From what I read, it is one of the favorite older machines, and a Singer classic. I have followed information concerning this machine, because I now have my Mother's 301A bought new in the 50's or 60's.

Karend

Offline lisa.naturegirl

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »
Great, I'll try her out first and see. Thanks for the input...

Lisa

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics