Author Topic: Bernina Artista 200 - opinions?  (Read 16987 times)

Offline SewingLibrarian

Bernina Artista 200 - opinions?
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:05:03 PM »
I'm sort of in the market for a new machine. When I looked at Berninas this morning, the dealer had an Artista 200 which she said was almost identical to the new 730E, but the floor model was less money. Obviously, it's an older version. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? Do you like it? Any problems? Up until now, I've been a Viking user. This store sells Vikings, too, but they say they are getting much better support for the Berninas than for the Vikings when it comes to repairs, etc.  Any info would be helpful,
Linda

Offline karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
Re: Bernina Artista 200 - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:17:27 PM »
Linda, I have an Artista 200 that I inherited about six months ago.  I have not had a chance to use it a lot, and I have used Janome for a number of years previously.  I like the Artista, and I must say that all the problems I've had with it have been user error.  I hate to read instruction manuals.  This one was meticulously maintained, which helped I'm sure.  Now that I have the hang of it, I like it more than my previous Janome that I really liked.  My poor loved Janome now lives in the closet floor. 

When I first brought this Artista home, I tossed out a question similar to yours.  I got several responses, and I think if you search here you would probably find them.  It would have been middle to late March.  I haven't SM shopped in a number of years, so I can't compare to what's new out there, but I do like this machine.  K

Offline Judi73

• Embellishing Experiments
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:05:25 AM »
Another good source of info is on PatternReview.  They review more than patterns, there is an extensive area of sewing machine reviews. These are done by consumers, not industry insiders, so you get an unbiased account of how they like or dislike their machines.  I think many Stitcher's Guild participants also post on Pattern Review.  Here is a link to the Bernina reviews.
http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Bernina

Offline cherry

• Photo site
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:25:35 AM »
I have had the 200 since it first came out - switched from a Viking 1+ when the electronics on that started playing up.  It is an excellent machine, does everything, but I have never loved it as I loved the Viking. Maybe the first love is always special?  Anyway I would be happy to answer any specific questions
Cherry,
sewing in historic Williamsburg, VA

Offline SewingLibrarian

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:46:31 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Karen, I will look up  in the archives the previous discussion. Judi, thanks for reminding me about PatternReview. I'm not a regular reader of it, and I tend to forget about the other reviews there. I did go over and look, and I concluded that I need to know a lot more before I decide on any machine. Cherry, thank you for your offer. When I get far enough to have specific questions, I will contact you. I have not bought a machine for quite a few years, and this is quite complicated, especially as it's hard to find prices on the internet. A conspiracy of silence! ???
Linda

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
When I looked at Berninas this morning, the dealer had an Artista 200 which she said was almost identical to the new 730E,
Linda

If the machine has had the internal upgrade, then it would be identical to the 730e.   Be sure you're comparing apples to apples..... ask lots of questions.     You can also join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/430_440_630_640_730/ and get answers there.   Lots of 200 owners and a great Group.

Offline SewingLibrarian

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:33:53 AM »
Thanks for the information, Doris!
Linda

Offline Judi73

• Embellishing Experiments
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Here are Bernina prices that my local Babylock/Bernia store offered this summer.  These are for demo models:\
730E/BSR  $6999  w/babylock serger
640E/BSR  $5999  w/babylock serger
630E/BSR  $4999  w/babylock serger
440E/BSR  $3699  w/sewing table
440BSR     $2799  w/sewing table
430          $1799   w/sewing table
240          $1299   w/sewing table
230          $ 999    w/$50 gift card
220          $ 699    w/$50 gift card
1008        $ 699     w/$50 gift card
also pre owned Bernina 200Es for $4699 with full warranty/free classes,babylock imagine serger and BSR

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »
Judi, interesting that your dealer is offering the Bernina with a baby lock serger.

I own the 165E which is a couple of steps down from the 200 and a friend of mine owns the 200. We both love our machines. I own a D1 and love that, too. Bernina just has a different feel. Also, check out some of the high end Janomes. I have several friends who own these and love them and you get a lot for your money.  Bernina's great but it's an expensive machine and the feet are outrageous.

Offline SewingLibrarian

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:43:57 AM »
Thank you for the information, Denise and Judi. One reason I've hesitated about a Bernina is because I have so many Viking feet for special applications, and I hate to pay big prices to duplicate all of them in a Bernina.  :(  I'm going to look at the Janomes and the Vikings. This dealer carries all three lines, but they seem to push the Berninas. Maybe they make more profit from them, who knows?

Offline judic

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 12:24:26 AM »
I have had my 200 since June '04.  Love it.  I do have wonderful dealer support, and the on-line forums are great too.  I did sew on a TOL Viking a year ago at a MP sewing spectacular, and it's a good machine, but I was still comparing how I would do some of the techniques on my Bernina - and I thought it was easier.  Yes, the feet are costly, but I think they are well worth the cost. Even DH has looked at them and the Viking feet, and said the 'Nina feet show the quality.  I use the 'FHS' knee lever to raise the presser foot all the time.  I don't move my hands to push a button to raise the foot.   Last word - do the test drive, and get the machine that really 'talks' to you. 
Sewing helps keep me sane.

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 10:43:06 PM »
I have a Bernina 200E and am still using the Artista software V4. It works great and is very basic so I never saw the need to spend extra bucks to upgrade.

Now I need to buy a new computer and wonder if V4 will work with Windows 7??
I see a "patch" on the Bernina site for use with V5 and Windows 7.
Think it would do?
Anyone have computer experience with this?

Thanks for any help!!!  :)

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 11:56:08 PM »
V4 won't work with 7 but there is a free download of virtual XP pro for the 7 business or ultimate. I have V6 which works on 7 but I have run programs successfully on the XP virtual.

Since that 200 comes with BSR it sound like it has been upgraded to a 730. I have a 165E and no plans to upgrade. Berninas are very solid machines.

I do know what you're talking about when you have to switch accessories. That was a big reason I bought my Active 220 for travel. It uses the same accessories as the 165E. I will say that the Bernina accessories, although pretty pricey, are the best.
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:20:28 AM »
I didn't upgrade to the 730 so don't have BSR. I'm not a quilter and, once again, didn't see the need.

Computer dummy that I am............please, what is "virtual XP pro"?
I'm running XP now and no problems with V4.

I was planning to get Windows 7 Home, that won't work?

Sorry for so many stupid questions.
 ::)

Offline annenet

• Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:58:36 AM »
The XP virtual pro is a download from Microsoft if you get 7 Pro or Ultimate. It puts an icon on your desktop, you launch it and you can put applications on it with the ability to access all the drives on your machine. I had a VPN program that let me access my company's servers and it wouldn't run on 7 but would on the XP pro mode.

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 01:17:48 AM »
I still have the 200e and v4.  Haven't had a chance to try yet, but I have the v4 software on an old laptop that lives near the sm.  I have upgraded my other 2 computers to W7 and plan to do that one too as I'm networking the house (I know, serious geekdom but it keeps me occupied.)  W7 Ultimate allows you to run XP software, all my old XP stuff stayed put and runs fine.  In fact, my old, old, old DressShop which was written for W2000 is running fine on W7!  The only thing was that it transferred all my Office 2007 Professional, including files, except Outlook disappeared.  All the documents and all that stayed, but the saved email in Outlook went away.
I was assuming the v4 would run on the Ultimate W7 just because it is running all other XP software fine.  All the versions of W7 do not run XP, however, so be very careful.  That is actually one of the reasons I went with Ultimate.

Be VERY careful when you choose which version of W7!  VERY careful!  AND be absolutely certain to run the compatability thingie it prompts you to go online and do first, before you upgrade.  All the versions of W7 don't run XP, but more importantly, some will wipe clean your hard drive and do a clean install, even when upgrading, and some will not.  The hang tags at the store, at least where I bought my first one (Office Depot, which has the standard Microsoft shelf label info) does not IMHO give adequate info about the differences between the versions.  I bought the middle one, Delux or something like that, and got it home.  Went to do the upgrade, and was running the compatability thing while I went through the book that was INSIDE the package.  Turns out that version does a clean install and wipes off your hard drive, while the Ultimate version does a true upgrade.  Sure, I save everything, but I've been computing for twenty plus years and have a ton of back stuff, and like I said some things have managed to translate up from W2000, and all kinds of photos and favorites and all are there, and it is quite a pain to redo if they'll just stay put.  Plus I wanted specifically to be able to continue to run XP software, as although I had Vista on some computers I had XP on others.  I called Microsoft and they were quite nice about it.  Told me where to mail back the software, with receipt copy, to get a refund of the one I bought in error.  The refund came promptly and I bought the right one.  Love it.  K

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 01:34:44 AM »
Oh my. So I need to buy the new one with 7 Ultimate? What about the Pro version?
If I get a new computer, it won't prompt me to run the compatibility thingie. It will already be installed and I hoped I could transfer my stuff to it. Sigh.
I think I need a serious geek to make a house call.  :-\

karent, please post when you upgrade your old one that has the V4 on it. I'm interested to hear if it works with it.
Thanks to both of you!!!

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 04:24:04 AM »
I may or may not get to it this weekend.  What I would do is go to the Windows website and look at the differences in the W7 upgrades.  I don't remember the names of the three types, Pro might have been the "middle" one?  Can't recall.  The website should tell the differences, like which ones run XP programs and which ones do clean install, but if I get a chance I'll do the upgrade tomorrow on the other laptop.  Got a string of things to do so no promises, but I will let you know when I do.  I haven't found any XP programs that won't run on this version of W7 so far, and I had some rather obscure ones.  And I can get into my secure network at work, which my IT guys told me would only run on XP.   ;D  K

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
Ha! Sometimes those IT guys aren't as smart as they'd like to think.  ;)
I'll check the Microsoft site about W7 versions.

There used to be a guy named Patrick on the Bernina forum (ages ago). He was pretty smart about computer stuff/Bernina and helped me once with a problem I had.
Anyone know if he chats on one of the Yahoo groups? He lived in TX I think.

I have a sneaky feeling that I may be out of luck to use my V4 unless I upgrade it. Don't want to spend money on it.  :-\

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
Just looked at Microsoft and it says the Professional and Ultimate versions have the "XP Mode" capability. You have to download the XP Mode and Virtual PC, free from Microsoft. Says it enables you to use older versions of business software.

Wonder if V4 qualifies as "business" ?

This may be too deep for me!  ???

Offline annenet

• Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »
I could use a Cisco VPN connection for work with it. Also I could load Adobe 8. I do think V4 would work.

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »

I'm running XP now and no problems with V4.

I was planning to get Windows 7 Home, that won't work?

If you're running XP now,  you need to back up everything on your hard drive.   Switching from XP to W7 requires a clean/reformatted hard drive before loading W7.

I might have that all wrong, so best to read this article:   http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=7485

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 11:27:27 AM »
Doris, I think you are right.  I upgraded from Vista, and yesterday I didn't have time to fool with this, but I remember that I think you do have to do clean install from XP.  annette, I can't use a VPN with my satellite internet, but I have used Cisco AnyConnect in the past and love it when I could use it from other places, sure makes things easy.

Anyway, I really don't think I'd be so non-optimistic about v4 until you try it.  Honestly, I'm finding EVERY other program I've tried that ran on XP is running fine on W7, literally fine, with no monkeying by me whatsoever.  K

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »
My goodness, this is getting way over my head!   ::)

So if I buy a new laptop with windows 7 Pro installed, I'm starting fresh right?
I just need to make sure it will run that virtual visualization thingie from Microsoft site.
Then I reinstall my embroidery software V4 and the other programs I have backed up on a disc from my XP.

What about that "dongle" for the V4? Do I put that on before I start the reinstall or during? or when? Maybe it will tell me.

I plan to start the search for the new laptop soon. Boy am I glad I asked about this here!!!

Thanks so much to all of you. You sure know more than I do.  I would have messed this up for sure. ;D

Offline mzcapnbly

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 03:36:22 AM »
I have installed the correct version of Windows 7 that includes the Virtual XP mode. I bought this version mainly because I wanted to use my Artista Version 4 software. However, I am still having problems. My computer fails to install the program completely. I keep getting a message about inserting my "new BLUE dongle." I only have a green one, the one that came with my program. I can't seem to get any further. Any help out there?

Offline skblue

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 02:07:58 AM »
Does anyone know how well the Artista 200E works with the retrofied BSR??  I bought my 200 about 4 months before the 400's with BSR came out.  I tried the BSR on them and really liked it.  However, I am being cautions about adding the retrofit to my 200E.

Offline annenet

• Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
There's something that has to be done by a dealer to get it to work. I've heard people are quite happy with it. It essentially makes the 200 a 730.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics