Author Topic: Lutterloh patterns  (Read 38617 times)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
Re: lutterloh fitting system
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »
Do a search of this site - I'm thinking there is a thread that discussed this??  Also there is the Sure fit Design thread that is getting a lot of great review from this site.  I just use my tape measure, ruler and wing it!! ;D
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: Lutterloh patterns
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
Cherylrv, I merged your Lutterloh topic with this one that is already in progress.

If you want to look at the Surefit Pattern System that Marciae mentioned, click this link.

I also sent you a PM, since I got a system error when I tried to post a redirection notice for this topic.

HTH,

Kathryn
SG Admin Team

Offline WendyW

Has anyone used the "Lutterloh" system?
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2012, 01:46:32 AM »
The Lutterloh System was mentioned on another thread, and looks interesting. With a bit of imagination and experience, it looks like you could make just about anything, assuming their pattern set includes all the common basic styles. Has anyone here actually used it? Did they fit- especially the plus sizes? What did you NOT like about it?
Homeschool Mom and lifetime lover of sewing and crafts.

Offline Alice in bama

Re: Has anyone used the "Lutterloh" system?
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2012, 01:56:45 AM »
i like the sure fit method better
SEWING FOR FUN

Offline J H

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:35 AM »
Yes - I use the Lutterloh system and am a plus size.   I quite like it, I get a much better fit than using ordinary patterns.  There is usually a reasonable mix of patterns in a suppliment.

I have both types of measuring tape (the blue  XL/XXL one and the ordidnary yellow one) because my hip measurement is just off the scale of the ordinary one.  You cannot use the blue tape on the ordinary designs they work differently although I have devised a method of using it that works out quite well for me.

I have also found that it is better to use my upper bust measurement for the shoulders and halfway down the armholes and then my full bust measurement for the rest of the way down to my waist. 

I hope that this is of help ;D

Offline WendyW

« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
I just checked the measurements and I DON'T need the XL! That makes me :D.

What is their definition of "full-figured"? Is that big-busted, or generally overweight?

Offline muffet

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
Wendy, the "Full-Figure" Lutterlohs are generally shaped for a fuller overall figure, not necessarily  fat you understand...cough. More of a thicker build, or the mature figure - I have used them with success. I would make a muslin of a FF pattern and of a regular one and see which fits you better - the FF are in the regular set so they do not automatically mean large. If you see the patterns you can see the drafting difference. I will tell you that Lutterlohs are drafted excellently. And yes, the XL-XXL set is for very large sizes. I did buy it but sold it as it was too large.  Good luck!

Offline WendyW

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2012, 11:52:16 PM »
I've got a make-shift L. tape measure (waiting for my real one to come in the mail) and the freebie vest pattern found online. I also have a newly made sloper for myself, made from McCalls fitting shell pattern and "Fit for Real People."

Based on the radial method of reproducing the pattern, it will naturally grow in length as you go up in size. No biggie, I can fold out the extra length. Today I was playing with the vest pattern vs. my sloper. Using my measurement as directed on the L. website, my vest back pattern came out considerably smaller than my sloper. I played with it for a while and found the hole that would give me the correct width of the back piece. Then did the front piece using the same hole, and it was inches TOO wide.

So, based on this, I have two questions:
Does L.'s drafting style tend to place the side seams toward the back rather than centered on the side, which would account for the front/back difference?

What cup size do they draft to? I had to slightly pare down the dart of the vest to match the sloper, but it wasn't a full cup size, and the amount of extra width was more than a cup size would need.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:15:55 AM by WendyW »

Offline WendyW

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2012, 07:45:39 AM »
Bumping up in hopes someone can answer my question above, and I have another question.

I've got my real L. tape measure, and got 2 pattern books for Christmas. I started playing tonight with a jacket pattern. I'm a size 22ish in American Big 4 patterns, so I'm drafting the L. pattern up a significant amount.

I have a question about the sleeve.

From previously playing with the vest pattern, and tonight with the jacket, I've determined that I need to shorten the bodice patterns by about 3 inches. Logical assumption is that I will need to shorten the sleeve about 1.5" above the elbow, and this is also how it compares to my sloper. (The pattern has a 3/4 sleeve, and I'm going to leave the extra length on the lower sleeve.) In the picture of the jacket, the sleeve does not appear to have any "puff" and I don't want any, but the pattern of the sleeve cap came out significantly more "puffy-shaped" than my sloper sleeve. I could take out 1.5" just in the sleeve cap. By "walking" the armhole against the sleeve, I also get that adjustment needed.

Does the radial drafting typically affect the shape of the sleeve cap for the larger sizes?

Also, I thought that when drafting a sleeve, the curve of the underarm area of the bodice and the underarm portion of the sleeve are supposed to match. They do not on this pattern- neither on my draft nor on the original. The whole sleeve is much more precisely shaped than the front/back symmetry typical on American patterns, and I have no idea if that is the reason.  Is the sleeve going to fit the bodice properly?

I'm sure when I make my muslin I'll find a few answers, but I'm trying to figure out the quirks of the Lutterloh system in general, not just how to fit this pattern specifically.

Offline JLCurtis

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
I've used several Lutterloh patterns and been very pleased with the results. The drafting is excellent and the pieces go together well, though the lack of instructions can sometimes make it a challenge.

The sleeves of patterns I have tried have all been good, and with more subtle shaping than the big 4. Test your pattern with a muslin to be sure, but I would expect that the sleeve and armscye would fit together well.

Offline WendyW

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2013, 05:35:48 AM »
After 2 days of trying to get a regular LL pattern to fit me, I finally gave up. The sleeves did fit the armscye well, but the armhole does NOT fit me. Several other adjustments were also needed and it was too much to reconcile together. I finally tried a Full Figure one instead, and found one that I could change the fashion details to match my original choice.  The FF pattern was an almost perfect match to my sloper. It needed only a few minor adjustments, and those were exactly the adjustments I expected for my figure. I am now ready to cut my fashion fabric.

I'm impressed with the drafting. There were several details that had subtle differences than what I'm used to, but the fit was SO smooth and perfect and definitely intended to fit a "full" figure, rather than just a larger draft of a Misses pattern.

My Christmas present was one Supplement, and one FF Classic collection. I think in the future I'll get the remaining FF books rather than more Supplements.

Offline muffet

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
Wendy, so good to hear you have had success! :) Yes, I too love the drafting on the FF patterns. They know what they are doing. I love the top patterns, haven't had that much success with the pants. I put that down to my build and heaviness in odd places, not to the patterns. I love Burda for pants patterns, and have a TNT in Burda for pants, but Lutterloh is my go to for tops. I imagine dresses as well, though I never make dresses. :) Good luck in future too with your lutterloh sewing.
m:)

Offline Celia

• UK
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I have read through a lot of this thread and just wanted to say I have just ordered the Lutterloh kit.  I did actually have this system many years ago but it arrived at a time when my life became impossible to sew, sat on a shelf and then became lost, I searched high and low recently but have had to give in and purchase this again.  I had a lot of success in using my sure fit kit but just need something else to give me ideas. 
Can anyone tell me if they have used these patterns with stretch fabrics as these are my favourites, at the moment I mainly use Sure fit or Jalie.
Thanks

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics