• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2021, 04:16:35 pm

News:

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access for an entire year. :)

Karine's Prints and Burda SWAP

Started by Karamiel, December 29, 2020, 03:57:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Karamiel

Hello everyone,

For this SWAP, I plan to make :

- 1 or 2 jumpsuits

- 8 or 9 dresses (some formal ones, some casual ones, if possible using a different pattern each time. (The truth is I may end using the same TNT to make multiple dresses by mid-April!)

- 1 pair of pyjamas

I've chosen according to what I need :

work     :      I go to work 4 days a week, and I mainly wear dresses as they are a good
                        option in my hot and humid weather. They also make my life easier in the rush
                        of the morning.

- free time : daytime :  casual dresses are my favourites, although I wear shorts at home
                                      but I have enough of them.

evening :  I made a jumpsuit for Christmas (photos to come) that fulfills
                                      the gap. That is the item completed before the beginning of the SWAP.

night :  I've got a very nice fabric to make a pair of pyjamas and I
                                     already have the perfect Burda pattern.

As for the fabrics, I'll mainly use patterned ones. Solid fabrics are not easy to wear when you work with no AC and barely a fan. It's not a problem as I like prints and I have a lot in my stash (and some more coming soon. I confess I ordered a few for the SWAP. You won't judge me, will you ? :embarassed: )

The patterns will be exclusively  chosen in my Burda magazines.

Here we go!

Karine

Karamiel

January 03, 2021, 02:05:23 pm #1 Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:17:51 pm by Karamiel
Here is an attempt to see if I can download pictures.

The jumpsuit is finished but not photographed yet.
The dress is under construction.

I need to bribe a member of my family to take pictures  ^-^

Happy sewing to everyone.
Karine

Karamiel

Here is the 1st dress of my never-ending chain of dresses.

Pattern from Burda 08/2020.
Viscose Fabric bought last November.

Modifications :
I made a toile and could see that the dress was too long for me. In the magazine, it is worn with boots and it looks nice. With sandals, not so much.

I shortened the sleeves.

I lined the bodice with cotton voile.

I am very pleased with it and can't wait to wear it to work. The fabric is soft. I like the print and the colours.

As for the jumpsuit I 1st completed, that is another story.
I was happy with it too, until I saw the pictures! The back view is not what I expected! I'm going to see if I can improve the fit.

Next project : a dress of course!
I must say the SWAP is helping me not being (too) distracted. I have all my Burda magazines at hand, and I exclusively look at the dresses. It narrows the choices, which is a good thing for me.

Happy sewing to everyone!

Karine

Karamiel

Hello everyone!

Here is the jumpsuit which was in fact my 1st completed item, back in December.
I was pleased with it, until I took pictures to post here and realised it was far from perfect.
I made a few adjustments and it's better I think.
Pattern from Burda magazine 06/2020.
Fabric from Seasalt.Kind of viscose.
Main modifications : I lenghtened the legs, lined the bodice, added darts in the armscye.

I've started a new dress and hope to finish it next week-end.

Happy sewing!
Karine

Karamiel

Hello!

I haven't been productive this week, so here are pictures of the pattern and the fabric for my next dress.

Pattern from Burda 08/2015.
I don't like asymetric hems on me, so it will be even.

This a Japanese fabric, made of synthetic fibers. I hope it will behave well.

Happy sewing to everyone!
Karine

Karamiel

Item 3 : the cheerless dress.

Burda n°130, 08/2015.
Synthetic fabric, from Japan, 2017.

While sewing it, I kept remembering a quote I read a long time ago, from a writer, saying that she never wears synthetic clothes when she goes on a plane, in case there is an accident. At the time, I found that a bit silly. Usually, plane accidents are lethal anyway. But I have to confess that each time I fly (or used to fly), I think about it and go for cotton.

I seriously thought about burning it more than once, because the fabric wouldn't gather neatly at the neckline, as it was supposed to do.
Of course, I had to abdicate and modified it.

The pattern was weird too (or am I ?). Sleeves too long, funny armscies...

So, "cheerless dress" I said. It spent a while on my dummy and its view wasn't bringing me any joy. I was really about to give the sewing up.

But eventually,the thing is, looking at the photos, I think it looks ok on me. Does it mean I have a matching cheerless complexion ?

In spite of everything bad I'm saying about that innocent dress, I like the print very much, and the fit is not bad.

I now feel ready to cut a different fabric, and tigers will be involved.

Thanks for reading and happy sewing to everyone!

Karine

Karamiel

Hello everybody!

There's a saying in French which is "pédaler dans la semoule". It could be translated literally by "pedal into semolina" which I think is funnier than "go around in circles".
Anyway, that's what I've been doing during the 2 last weeks.

Item 4
I made a monumental mistake when I cut the dress and had to order more fabric. That's how silly I can be.
I love the fabric. The viscose is quite heavy and drapes very well. And the print! I love the tigers and that orange thing behind that makes me think of lava. It's a metaphor of how I am feeling inside right now!
I chose a pattern from a Burda magazine, 05/2012. It took me 9 years before eventually tracing the pattern!

Item 5
While I'm waiting for my tigers, I've started another dress, trying a new pattern : Burda, 11/2020. It's unusual for me because I stay away from dresses with a gathered skirt. But let's get adventurous.
It's not too bad so far, except for the sleeves. I don't like them so it will be sleeveless for me.
I still need to buy buttons and make the buttonholes and the armholes. I may add a lining to the bodice, even it's a bit late to do it. Oh well.
I cannot show you the fabric as I can't upload more than 3 pictures. It is colourful to say the least.

I hope you're more efficient than I am!

Happy sewing!

Karine

Karamiel

Hello everyone!

Here is completed item 5 : the colourful dress.

It's a rather  classic pattern, but a 1st for me.
The fabric was sold as ramie. I bought it 2 yrs ago.

The pattern comes with sleeves. I made them and thought it would have been fine if I had used a solid fabric. But with this one, add a wig and a red nose, and I'm ready to apply in a circus.

Now, I need to go back to item 4, as I received the tiger fabric 2 days ago.

Happy sewing!

Karine

Karamiel

Hello everyone!

Here is the jaguar dress.
I know I was supposed to complete the tigers dress, but it will come later.
I needed a bit of pink in my life this week.

Item 6 :

Burda 04/2021-124.
Fabric : viscose bought last month.

I usually don't like animal prints at all. I bought this fabric on line, not noticing it was a jaguar print!
After all, we do have this big cat in this part of the world, although I've never met one in person in the wild.
I see this fabric as being the improbable mixture of a jaguar and the pink panther.

Happy sewing !

Karine