• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2021, 05:56:05 pm

News:

Feeling a little lost here on the "Reloaded" board?  All the old threads are still available on SG Classic, including the ever popular "Forum Decorum" thread; a huge variety of mini tutorials and how-tos for making SG's format work for you.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/board,45.0.html

kowgiirl.up's Bottom's Up SWAP 2021

Started by kowgiirl.up, December 22, 2020, 02:45:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kowgiirl.up

December 22, 2020, 02:45:14 pm Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:50:04 pm by kowgiirl.up
I'm joining this SWAP feet first (I hope). My (written) plan will not be as detailed as some as I get "stuck" trying to figure out what to say here and to be honest, I'm not that organized. I am more of a wing-it, seat of the pants and/or throw it at the wall and see if it sticks type of person but I will do my best :)

My Half Monty SWAP will consist of 2 jean bottoms and 4 tops. I wanted to sew another skirt but I do not have fabric and I really would like to sew from my stash so I can make room for more fabric  :applause2: .

The jeans are all cut out and ready to sew up. Just your regular blue jean denim fabric and nothing out of the ordinary. I have a some good size cotton batik fabric scraps that I will use for the pocket lining which makes it fun. The pattern is an alteration of the Angle Wolf Boot Cut jean pattern. I prefer straight legs so I took the flair out. I had my fill of flared bottom pants back in the 70's.

On to the tops. I have one cut out in knit fabric that I had planned on finishing for the Loosey Goosey 6Pac so like others I'm going to throw it in here. That top is another one of Angela's patterns, the AW1123 Ruched T, that I modified. The other three tops will be made of rayon that I will wear this summer. These rayon tops are going to be what I call my Flutter Bottom top that Bessie and other's helped me fit last year I think. I've made several tops from this pattern and they work really well for me in the summer or whenever it's hot flash time LOL. I do have to sort out the binding though as they tend to unravel when I have to join pieces together to make one long strip if that makes sense.

I had a bit of a freak out yesterday when I discovered that my iron had "goo" on the sole plate from making the tree skirt. I didn't know how I was going to get it off without the sole plate cleaning stuff that you are suppose to use (and I didn't have). I finally thought of using rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and it worked. The paper towel probably wasn't a very good idea and in hindsight I will use a soft cloth. So, a crisis was averted and I was able to get on with my day~ whew!

Now, this plan is subject to change....
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

I have everything cut out for my SWAP~ 4 tops, 2 bottoms. My next plan of action is to set up the sewing machines and start on the jeans first. I plan on sewing both pairs at once so I won't have to shuffle back and forth so much.

Yesterday I added some iron on crystals to all white top. I'm kind of anxious to see what it will look like finished. I couldn't help myself, something just kept telling me to put them on.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

I had planned to get ripping on jeans over this long weekend. I figured I would be WAY ahead of the game by sewing two at once. Wrong-o. I discovered that I had forgotten to replace the white thread that I like to use for topstitching. I kept moving forward by starting my tops first. I suppose I need to rename my SWAP Bottom's Up or Top's Down  ;D

I stumbled on Seamwork patterns after reading someone's post (sorry can't remember who now). I saw at least two different patterns on that website that I'm thinking of swapping out for a couple of the tops that I already have cut out (after all, this is a swap right). I will have to put on my big girl pants to plunge into printing PDF patterns since that is what is available on their site. :o
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

January 19, 2021, 12:36:28 pm #3 Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:44:18 pm by kowgiirl.up
I stated on the other SWAP thread that I had planned on swapping out one of my tops for a cardigan (Milo 3139). I'm well on my way to getting if finished after sewing the collar backwards then puzzling over button decisions. I ordered two different types and I figure one will be for a second cardigan if there is one.

To back up a bit, I didn't have any knit muslin to make a muslin for this pattern. I decided to push ahead and just make the cardigan up figuring how much fitting would a cardigan require. Well, I think that line of thought was wrong. I guess a cardigan does require some fitting after-all but I'm going to wait to see if finished before I decide what to do with it.

This cardigan will mostly be worn in winter but also cooler Spring days as well.

I made this up in a size 10 using the measuing instructs on the pattern (thank you @Turquoise for the help with the interfacing).

I'm also including a pic of the pattern taping that I found out was not something "fun".
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

January 25, 2021, 12:32:31 pm #4 Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:36:28 pm by kowgiirl.up
The Milo cardigan is done-ish. Like CCL a while back, I'm waiting on buttons. I ordered two types on etsy, one set is vintage and the other is handmade. Looks like the vintage ones will not work for this cardigan since they are not 1" as decribed in the listing. No biggie as I can save them for something else..

I'm still trying to decide if I like the fit. This is another one of those garments that I'm not used to seeing myself in.

The issues I had were that the lower edges of the band where it attaches to the collar are not even. I don't know if I stretched the band while attaching or the body/collar somewhere down the line. I haven't decided if I will try to fix it or just live with it. I will make that last buttonhole once I decide. I'll take a pic later to post.

I made the buttonholes before attaching the collar to the body of the cardigan. I haven't commited to cutting the holes yet just in case.

I'm not fond of the inside finish that the pattern instructions called for. I would have preferred to serge then fold over the edge before twin needle topstitching. Again, I'll get a pic of the inside later to post.

Speaking of topsitching. I really have to force myself to not topstitch every top that I sew. I just love to topstitch so it's a real wrestle mentally to not do it.

So, here it is, unfinished. While I was taking pics of myself a hummingbird flew all around me checking me or, the cardigan out to see if it was a flower. Made my day but wish I could've got him on camera.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

Front weirdness and inside finish.

Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

March 23, 2021, 03:40:44 pm #7 Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:03:21 pm by kowgiirl.up Reason: spelling
I'm reserecting this from the depths of darkness in hopes of shedding light on my SWAP.

This top is a 3/4 sleeve version of a Angela Wolf pattern that I have made a few times that has full length sleeves. This is a knit fabric that I have had in my stash for years. The stripes are large enough that matching them was easy enough. Overall I am happy with the shorter sleeve but I do think I need to adjust the pattern for more "room".

Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

This next top is one I have made a zillion times now and one I drafted/copied myself, making adjustments along the way as I learn how to get a better fit.
The fabric is a knit that has silver stars which do fade as time goes on but it is very comfortable against the skin. It's one that I have been wearing during winter.. This is another pattern that needs to be "let out" for more room.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

This last one is of the Clarke top I had been working on for what seemed like weeks and weeks. The fabric is rayon and I love the print.
I wasn't sure if I was going to post the picture of this top as I feel like it is too low in the front. The muslin didn't show it would be that low so I am not sure what happened. I have adjusted the pattern, retraced and will cut out another to see what I get. The pattern that was too large was trimmed down so it can be placed on the fold which will speed up the process by eliminating two seams (center front and center back).

On a side note. I haven't been feeling well for the last 3 weeks. Today is the first day that I have felt pretty decent. Every day I thought I would be able to work on the Clarke top that I adjusted but I would go in to the sewing room and stare at the pieces and could not figure out for the life of me how to lay them out correctly. My brain has been in such a fog and all my leg strength was totally gone. Super frustrating but like I say, I'm better now.

I don't know if I will be able to finish my SWAP as I have my jeans to go. I've been toying with "tossing" one of the jeans and going with a skirt which will mess up my SWAP but even one pair might prove to be too much. Decisions, decisions! 
Theresa

Runs with scissors