• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2021, 05:57:22 pm

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

Hen's Return to the Fold SWAP

Started by Hen, December 16, 2020, 01:40:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hen

After a year of Skype, zoom, WebEx and Blizz, I expect there will be real conferences coming up, if not in 2021, then in 2022. Due to the project I am in, they will likely take me to warmer places. My wardrobe is notoriously lacking clothes for hot weather, especially work-appropriate clothes. I thought about what activities take place during a conference or project meeting, and what I want to look like:

Icebreaker, Conference dinner - fun/festive, approachable
Presentation - smart, memorable
Workshops - smart, noticeable
Poster session - smart, approachable
Excursion, travel - comfortable, protected/safe

Our dress-code is very casual, think T-Shirts with geeky prints, cargo shorts...

To look smart, I imagine I would dress mainly in wovens from natural fibers, with grey as the main neutral. To add interest, a theme and trade-mark could be "folds" - pleats, pin-tucks etc.

Hen

December 26, 2020, 02:22:37 pm #1 Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 02:38:04 pm by Hen
I went through my wardrobe to see what outfits I could make for the different activities during a conference. I found the most important gaps, and filled the plan with patterns and fabrics I had researched a while ago. Attached is a half monty plan I came up with.

For travelling and the icebreaker, I would like to wear a conversation starter print.
The outfit for presenting should be non-distracting, but memorable.
I can not sit in a workshop and wear red and not say anything. The red would also be festive enough for a conference dinner, and the folds add width at the shoulders, which should be flattering for my shape and add "importance".

Hen

Hhmm... I did this easy calculation: I need to make 5 SWAP pieces in 16 weeks, that is three weeks for each garment. I broke that down into one week for prepping, one week for cutting, and one week for sewing each. Doable! Now we are into week three and I just located the first fabric! In my defense, I just moved house and the windows were replaced.
I do have a sewing room now and high expectations.
The fabric I got out is the one I had earmarked for the medium-grey pants, and now it tells me it does not want to be pants, it wants to be a dress!