• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
January 27, 2021, 01:58:46 pm

News:

What does SG do with $35.00 per year?
-Brings together people from all walks of life who share a common love of sewing.
-Pays the bills without selling or sharing any of your personal information.
-Provides an ad-free experience for everyone.
-Provides an up-to-date cross-platform venue that works on all your favorite devices.
-Stores, protects and allows you to share your messages, posts, photos and tutorials.
-Helps keep the community active and supports its growth.

Hen's Return to the Fold SWAP

Started by Hen, December 16, 2020, 01:40:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hen

After a year of Skype, zoom, WebEx and Blizz, I expect there will be real conferences coming up, if not in 2021, then in 2022. Due to the project I am in, they will likely take me to warmer places. My wardrobe is notoriously lacking clothes for hot weather, especially work-appropriate clothes. I thought about what activities take place during a conference or project meeting, and what I want to look like:

Icebreaker, Conference dinner - fun/festive, approachable
Presentation - smart, memorable
Workshops - smart, noticeable
Poster session - smart, approachable
Excursion, travel - comfortable, protected/safe

Our dress-code is very casual, think T-Shirts with geeky prints, cargo shorts...

To look smart, I imagine I would dress mainly in wovens from natural fibers, with grey as the main neutral. To add interest, a theme and trade-mark could be "folds" - pleats, pin-tucks etc.

Hen

December 26, 2020, 02:22:37 pm #1 Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 02:38:04 pm by Hen
I went through my wardrobe to see what outfits I could make for the different activities during a conference. I found the most important gaps, and filled the plan with patterns and fabrics I had researched a while ago. Attached is a half monty plan I came up with.

For travelling and the icebreaker, I would like to wear a conversation starter print.
The outfit for presenting should be non-distracting, but memorable.
I can not sit in a workshop and wear red and not say anything. The red would also be festive enough for a conference dinner, and the folds add width at the shoulders, which should be flattering for my shape and add "importance".

Hen

Hhmm... I did this easy calculation: I need to make 5 SWAP pieces in 16 weeks, that is three weeks for each garment. I broke that down into one week for prepping, one week for cutting, and one week for sewing each. Doable! Now we are into week three and I just located the first fabric! In my defense, I just moved house and the windows were replaced.
I do have a sewing room now and high expectations.
The fabric I got out is the one I had earmarked for the medium-grey pants, and now it tells me it does not want to be pants, it wants to be a dress!