• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2021, 05:02:41 pm

News:

To access all of our great topics, and use all the terrific features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription. 
Visit this thread: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,1849 For more information
If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Patricia's "I've Got The Denim Blues" SWAP

Started by Pagog, December 01, 2020, 05:09:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pagog

I have a lot of denim fabric I want to use up. I like the idea of making two 5-packs with a wild card. I usually make a winter SWAP, but by the time SWAP completes, I'm ready for spring clothing.  This year I am going to make a winter 5-pack in the first two months, and then make a spring 5-pack for the final two months.  I may knit or purchase a sweater as the wild card.  I could use the sweater as an extra layer in the winter or a cover up in the spring. I have different weights in my denim/twill stash, which should work for both seasons.  I pulled a bunch of fabric out last night without a clear idea of what I will be using. From this point on, I have SWAP on the brain.

Pagog

Here are the fabrics I've chosen for this year's SWAP.  Starting at the bottom, I have enough of the mid-weight denim to make two pairs of jeans.  Moving upward, the next three fabrics are for three
long-sleeved cotton blouses - a windowpane blue and cream, a gold batik, and a stripped blue and tan.  Next is a gold denim/twill for a jean jacket. Above that is a light weight denim with enough fabric to make a skirt and a jumper.  Next is a blue and white print fabric for a dress. Finally, a light blue and white stripped cotton for a short-sleeved top.  The very top fabric is a purchased short-sleeved gold top that I just purchased last weekend.

Pagog

January 03, 2021, 05:18:47 am #2 Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:28:10 am by Pagog
While I haven't sewn much yet, I have been doing a lot of preparing.  I've cut out one of two pairs of jeans using this pattern and the straight leg version.  I've used this pattern before, so adjustments were already made.  This is unusual for me, as I don't normally use a pattern twice.  I like the challenge of doing something new.  I'm determined to finish the SWAP this year, so I'm trying to be easy on myself.  I've ordered/purchased thread, zippers, and hardware. I really like this pattern.

Pagog

January 03, 2021, 05:47:34 am #3 Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:53:21 am by Pagog
I have a backstory to this pattern.  A few years ago, I purchased a similar top.  In fact, it is almost identical except for the buttons, and I was delighted when I discovered it. It is the most comfortable top I have ever owned. Very easy to sew up. Turtlenecks and mock turtlenecks drive me crazy.  I spend my time pulling on them away from my neck.  This doesn't even touch the front of your neck.  I wouldn't mind having one in every color.  This is another pattern that I used in another finished SWAP.  The fabrics are rayon knits and are quite soft.  I am making two, but I don't know if I will use both in this SWAP.

Pagog

January 03, 2021, 06:13:09 am #4 Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:21:54 am by Pagog
Another garment cut is a cotton blouse with a center placket from Burda 2/2009.  Yet, another item previously made connected to a finished SWAP.  I did manage to almost finish the front placket; the sides and shoulders are basted and fitted.

Pagog

I already possess a blue jean jacket, so I am planning on making a gold one using this pattern, view A with the collar of view B, with long sleeves instead of 3/4" since this is my wildcard for winter/spring.  My goal today is to prep all the paper pieces.  There are a lot of them.  I am trying to commit to spending a portion of each day doing something for SWAP, big or small. We'll see how that goes.  Usually I am just starting this process, so this year I am ahead of myself.  Next time you hear from me; hopefully, I'll have something complete. 

Pagog

My goal for January was to complete three items.  I only managed two with one of the two still needing buttonholes and buttons.  Both were not without challenges.  The striped knit top was not in my original photo of fabrics.  Since my bottoms and the jean jacket are plain, I wanted my tops to have some type of pattern.  I felt this piece would fit nicely in my plan. February is a short month, so I have my work cut out to get caught up with myself. February is going to be all about denim.

Pagog

April 05, 2021, 05:58:10 pm #7 Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:08:11 pm by Pagog
We're into the final month of SWAP, and I still have four items to complete.  Here's what I've completed since my last post.  I still have buttonholes to make, buttons to install, and some hems to finish.  Today I cut out a light pair of blue denim jeans.  There is still lots to do before completing this SWAP.

Cheriecz

:applause2: Patricia, your makes are lovely! I love the blue color of the denim, and what a great idea, a dress or jumper (USA term) using the same pattern.
Cherie

Sewing in the Arizona desert