• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
March 08, 2021, 05:01:43 am

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

indigotiger's "Got The (Boro) Blues?" SWAP 2021

Started by indigotiger, November 20, 2020, 12:02:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

November 20, 2020, 12:02:17 pm Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:30:16 pm by indigotiger
well, I'm in! Not really sure yet what garments will make it, but at least some of them will be in the indigo-blue category. Probably going for a half-monty, (since I don't really need eleven new garments) and am wondering about adding in some coordinating non-garment accessories* just for fun.

More later on once I muck out my sewing space enough that I can get a chance to pull together some coordinating fabrics... I know that there is some black/blue textured weave linen that could become a loose jacket, and my beloved indigo tigers rayon for a popover dress (which turn out to work really well not only for summertime on their own, but as an intermediate layer between a turtleneck top and a pinafore

*I'm thinking things like a new winter hat, maybe a kitchen or work apron, an Alabama Chanin style bandana kerchief... maybe even a new pair of earrings...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

Luz Clara sent me several yards of delightfully striped and patched japanese fabric, very boro-esque. I plan on using it for either a pinafore, or a loose lagenlook jacket. Not sure if I will leave it all black/stripey, or overdye in a light indigo, or taupe. Leaning towards light indigo.

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

a bit of additional thoughts and clarification... my overarching concept is "workwear style", and the colors will be indigo/black, and chocolate brown, with turquoise as an accent color. Going to make up at least one bib front pinafore, and a pair of bib front overalls, a chore jacket, and an assortment of wardrobe basics (turtleneck knit top, leggings, etc) Hoping/intending a raincoat and a handknit cardigan (not sure how long the shipping will take to get my yarn from Iceland to the Pacific Northwest of the USA) There will be at least a half-monty, maybe a few more, but if I get the big gaps in my wardrobe filled I will be happy. Will probably also add in assorted accessories as inspiration occurrs... I plan on using all fabrics from stash, reserving the option to overdye, again using supplies in the craft stash boxes....

indigotiger

So, no progress on my SWAP today, as last night I got a phone call from my Dad, letting me know that my Mom was transported to hospital (non-COVID), and I was up for hours trying to get more information about her collapse, and then most of today was all interspersed with calls and zoom between various siblings...

I do plan on continuing to sew SWAP projects, but even cutting out fabric when I am this exhausted is a bad idea. First up will be the navy mushroom turtleneck top, and I may add "thumbhole cuffs" to it, as that is a technique I have long wanted to try

indigotiger

December 28, 2020, 10:19:17 pm #4 Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:50:44 am by indigotiger
started new navy mushroom knit top for SWAP 2021... cut out the pieces, and once the body and sleeves were stitched together, realised that I ought to have cut the neckline higher, as a turtleneck top usually has a jewel neckline, not a scooped one. Since there wasn't enough fabric left to cut a new front panel, I am going to experiment by creating a shaped turtleneck collar, cut deeper in the front to try and "fill in" the scoop, although I have never seen that done except for cowl necklines... I'm also thinking about adding "thumbhole cuffs" to the sleeves, because who doesn't like learning new techniques

indigotiger

Finished the navy mushroom print turtleneck top... It will look quite fetching with my turquoise pinafore, as well as with either of the denim ones. I wish I could find more excellent small scale graphical prints in cotton/lycra.

My idea for the shaped turtleneck collar worked quite well. I measured some RTW ones that fit me comfortably, and used that for the basic measurement, and added on to the bottom edge a curved addition that I hoped would both fill in the neckline scoop, and also incidentally increase the measurement of the bottom edge to neatly fit the neckline measurement. Double win! (given that it is a print, the seamlines are not really even visible)
I did make the thumbhole cuffs, which were only slightly annoying to sew. (I am curious if I will end up liking the ability to have integral hand warmers) I did notice that neither of the instructional tutuorials I looked at had accurate information about how to correctly align the cuffs to the sleeves. One left that aspect completely off the tutorial, and the other said to align the cuff seam to the underarm seam, which is WRONG! If you look at where your thumbs are on your arm, and compare that to where your underarm seam runs on a sleeve, it is obvious that the cuff seam (which includes the thumb opening) needs to be offset from the underarm seam!! Rather than guess, I simply tried on the almost completed top, and slid the finished cuffs underneath the sleeves so I could chalk a mark on each one of where to place the seams.

indigotiger

Liked the navy turtleneck so much that I went ahead and made a second one in the other mushroom knit fabric, and they both fit seamlessly into my winter wardrobe rotatation. I had been thinking about making a new pinafore, but instead will be making a new rain capelet, since my oh-so-useful one I made in 2019 has somehow disappeared!, and this time of year is a garment I don't want to do without. Fortunately I have most of the materials needed to make another one (I know I have some more of the supplex/goretex/fleece, some more Polartec, a heavy separating zipper, and hopefully can find some of the thinner nylon knit I used for edge binding) 

I do wish that I had made some any construction notes on my previous capelet, which had some tricksy zipper and binding details. Fortunately at least I do have the photos I took at the bottom of this blog post, and I hope that will be enough to help me reconstruct this beloved and long desired garment...

indigotiger

Finally began the rain capelet. Today I laid out the pattern pieces and cut out the outer layer (three ply goretex)and then went rummaging in the resource shelves for some Polartec to line it with. This time I'm going to use the scrap length of dusty blue I got on a trip to the old factory in Massachusetts, as it isn't really enough for a garment, and will feel wonderful against my neck. Tomorrow I'll try and draw out the possible ways to stitch the zipper and underlay flap. (AND MAKE NOTES. whyever didn't I make notes before?!)

indigotiger

still looking for good info on how to stitch in an underflap to the rain capelet with minimal rows of stitching... (the idea is to retain as much weatherproofing as possible) Going to try looking through various old hardcopy notebooks of mine to see if I wrote anything down, since all my former online bookmarks are in the dead laptop.

Also, a search for thread and I discovered WAWAK! Wowsers!! I may never buy thread, or zippers, etc anywhere else, the prices and selection look amazing...

indigotiger

The mojo is low, not just for sewing... but I've almost finished putting together a new rain capelet. Hopefully this weekend I'll manage to cut out edge binding for it, as finishing the edges is all that remains incomplete.

Last weekend we lost power here in the destructive snow and ice storms, and while I couldn't do much, I did start on a second, faster, handknit cardigan.

indigotiger

My rain capelet is finished, and while it isn't quite as nice as the one I misplaced, it is wearable... had some difficulty with binding the upper back neckline edge, which doesn't lay as neatly along the back of my neck as I would wish for, and I am considering redoing that portion. Putting in the zipper turned out to not be impossible, but did require me to make a lot of drawings on the chalkboard of how the layers would need to be stitched together in what order. Were I simply making a warm wool capelet and not attempting to make the minimum possible lines of stitching that might allow rain through the seams, or if I had used a (two layer) DWR fabric that didn't have a fleecey inner layer bonded to the Goretex and could simply be seam-sealed, my project would have been much simpler.

My black wool handknit cardigan is about 75% finished... I've completed the body, and steeked the front in preparation for knitting on the button bands. The shoulders of the pattern are a bit more robust than my own Very Narrow Shoulders, but hopefully with a bit of steam blocking, I can smooth them out nicely.