• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
March 08, 2021, 05:02:51 am

News:

Much of the forum is now hidden unless you are registered, subscribed and logged in. 

Stephanie's Fiorenza/flowering SWAP 2021 (*comments in discussion thread pls)

Started by stephaniecan, November 19, 2020, 08:54:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniecan

Ah...how fun! I like Ruthie's idea of a "ready for everything" SWAP and mine is a bit like that. I know that I want to make a vintage-style fancy dress out of a piece of nice green jacquard I have, and probably a yellow coat with some yellow wool. Everything else will be more versatile and in the middle - e.g., a blouse with full sleeves, some winter white corduroy pants, maybe a soft wool jacket with some fabric my beloved gave me (and I feel guilty about not having used!). I may knit a little cardigan in yellow or green to be worn with the vintage-style cocktail dress.

I have many lovely choices and so it should be easy to make a half or a fully monty. I want to make things that are comfortable and also cheerful (except for the fancy dress, which doesn't need to be comfortable, per se!).

My one big goal for this year is to finally make a garment before Dec 26 for a change!

That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

stephaniecan

As usual, I have been overthinking this whole collection, so one of my goals this year is going to be to decide on a plan and then trust it enough to make things on the list. The number one decision must be the garment to make before December 26!

The other thing I realized I want to do is try to turn a pair of my beloved's old corduroy pants into some pants for me! I don't know if I can do that, but they are in very good condition (my beloved takes good care of his clothes) and I know that would be a lovely thing to have. He gave them to me specifically thinking I could do something with them. Maybe it will be easier than I think, given that they are fairly large on me. That would be a nice challenge piece. I used to refashion items frequently when I was in my twenties, but in recent years (OK, decades), I have not taken that on much, apart from unraveling and reknitting the occasional sweater.

That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

stephaniecan

I traced a pattern on Saturday, but then I was unconvinced by the project before even making a toile. This doesn't bode well.

The other thing I'm noticing is that I am attracted to diverse colour palettes. I am thinking that I might give into it and do a bit of a "rainbow" SWAP this year. I have always liked mixing prints/patterns (I would say that in my real life that is kind of a signature style) and I'm not ashamed to say that I am attracted to wearing a wide array of colours. Maybe this is the year of all years to indulge this tendency?

I really MUST achieve my goal of one garment before Dec 26. I'm going to have to make up my mind soon!

stephaniecan

I think I finally managed to get going. Shirt in progress:

It's just a simple shirt with oblique front pockets, but it feels good to be doing something again. My energy has been terribly low lately and I have had difficulty getting started. The clouds have parted somewhat with a somewhat lighter workload over the holidays.

I look forward to this party getting started after Christmas.  :)

stephaniecan

Ah, almost done! I just need to put on the buttonholes. I feel a real sense of accomplishment, having found a bit of peace in sewing and having completed something before the start of SWAP for a change.

I joked on my blog that this smacks a bit of "nightshirt" or "prison uniform," but that is not entirely inappropriate this year.  :)  I still love it.

Merry Christmas to all!

stephaniecan

stephaniecan

I've been thinking this evening that a lot of what I do, sewing-wise, is a bit too random. I need to structure this into more of a plan. So far, my plan is mostly to use up fabrics that I have. I also want a few of the garments to be comfortable in my current circumstances (which included the oversized plaid shirt that I just finished, to wear over a merino base layer in the wintertime, which my Italian partner told me over Skype last night "looks like it is missing the chess pieces"  :) ). He has a point!

My biggest SWAP problem is that we start in the deep winter for us, when we are facing several months of very cold and icy weather. By the time that March hits, however, I am craving sewing that is geared towards warmer weather, so it is difficult to stay consistent with an early winter approach. I always struggle with this. One option might be to do a winter 5-pack and a spring-summer 5-pack with a wild card, although there is some cross-over between items. I suppose I struggle most with planning. Once I decide what to sew I do OK. The truth is that I probably don't have an organized enough brain to plan properly.

I think I may sit on this for a bit and try to come up with a more organized plan before I proceed. Maybe my plan is a 1) half Monty for my casual, Canadian winter lifestyle, working from home, including wools, corduroy and comfy plaid; and 2) a half-Monty for my dreamed-of return to Italy and warm weather, with concerts, pattern, dress-up (enter the flowers). And then I'd need a wild card..the yellow coat? I have a big piece of yellow wool double cloth, earmarked for a spring coat.

stephaniecan

December 27, 2020, 05:38:13 pm #7 Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 05:45:03 pm by stephaniecan Reason: typo as usual!
I stepped back today to give my plan some more thought and this was fruitful. I am slightly less unmoored than I was before.

What I desire most is to have some fun with this, to lighten my spirit during this time period. I also realized that I get hung up on trying to find the perfect match between fabric and garment, when there is more fabric out there in the world if I happen to choose a sub-optimal combination...Don't we all know it!

Since I'm heading into deep winter now, I'll proceed with a five-pack that is geared a bit more towards that. After G`s comment about my shirt looking like a chessboard, I was thinking that maybe I could riff on that and call the winter five-pack "checkmate," using plaids in a playful way. For example, I have a beautiful plaid wool remnant that I'll have to play some tetris with but I thought I might make into a long, double-breasted waistcoat. Just for fun. I traced a Burda Vintage pattern today and am going to start working on a toile of that tomorrow. Why not?

Possible items for a winter five-pack:

-check shirt (done)
-plaid waistcoat (maybe! hopeful!)
-winter white corduroy trousers (not check, but textured)
-yellow and orange check jumpsuit (!) (the original plan had been a dress but I had this fun idea today...call me crazy).
-technically the best fit to make this a five pack would be a turtleneck sweater or another shirt to wear under the waistcoat and the jumpsuit, but my inner rebel wants to make a plaid blazer... (Or maybe this could be a wild card.)

I was thinking that my spring yellow wool coat could be a wild card, but see above re. plaid blazer.

Then the second 5-pack would "bloom" into spring, with

-a red patterned peasant blouse
-a yellow floral cotton shirtdress
-a green floral jacquard "fancy" vintage dress to wear to the opera/symphonies
-a silk patterned shirtdress, using fabric sent to me by a kind sewing friend
-? the yellow coat could be moved here, I suppose...but this space also leaves room for improvisation...

stephaniecan

I've had a change of heart since I posted the other day. Do you ever come to the realization that you have been looking at a problem from entirely the wrong angle?

Wrong:
I have been thinking that I need to make only things that are useful in my current environment, which effectively means being dressed in long johns for most of the day, glued to my work computer in my living room. Sometimes I even wear a toque and scarf. In other words, I might as well be ice fishing as working! I think that is why the check shirt seemed so obvious.

Correct:
What I love the most in sewing is the sewing part. I dislike fitting, which is a necessary evil, but I love having cloth between my hands and especially love hand sewing. All of my favourite me-made garments that I still wear years later are the ones I took more time with and that use beautiful fabrics, e.g., silk or linen dresses with special details. The functional things get worn, too, but tend to fall out of favour more quickly. So it seems that I should focus on projects that will give me pleasure - both now and later on. I like this idea, because it connects to values of sustainability and longevity that are also important to me. It will also prompt me to improve my knowledge of more complicated techniques and sewing, if I can just get over the fitting hurdle...I need a fitting fairy to come and help me out.

So, I think maybe I need to start my winter with an elegant project of some kind - maybe a tailored jacket or a pretty dress. Maybe my whole collection needs to be dresses, for a promising future.

stephaniecan

Well, I traced and adjusted a pattern and cut out a toile today for this waistcoat (Burda October 2019):

I'm feeling a bit scattered at the moment. Not sure why, but maybe because I am somewhat dreading having to return to work tomorrow after the holiday, and heading into a busy period.

I tried on a bunch of garments in my closet today to see which patterns I still like/feel comfortable with. I find this helps to get a perspective on what garments I might enjoy wearing in the coming seasons. I seem to always gravitate towards tailored shirts and this year is no different - I am thinking of using some ends of Liberty prints that I have and mixing and matching prints to make a couple of fitted shirts to wear under my waistcoat (which is going to be plaid). That's not where I thought I would go with this, but I may just have to allow myself to meander a bit. I'm really craving a bit of pattern, pattern mixing, and texture now.

stephaniecan

I had an up and down weekend, but I made a first toile of my waistcoat and I rather like it. I need to make a few more small adjustments, but I like it! My lifelong dream to be a small busted person with things falling smoothly without effort is never going to be fulfilled, but all things considered I don't think it looks bad. Now to work on fabric choices. (I have it closed a bit too much in the picture. I will adjust the forward shoulder a bit more and maybe add a bit to the back neck. I will lower one front dart about a half inch. I might do a version with welt pockets! )

I'm also working on a shirt to go underneath. I am still trying to decide whether to use a contrast fabric for the collar, etc. I adjusted my TNT and am ready to roll with a cut out shirt (brown Liberty print):

stephaniecan

I didn't exactly "sew" this week, as I'm still going through my fabrics to decide which will become a waistcoat. I also think that the waistcoat needs a jacket and a pair of pants, so I spent some time looking at patterns for those. At this very moment I am being lazy and procrastinating on getting started on either a pants toile I cut out or sewing the brown Liberty shirt to wear under the waistcoat.

I was feeling a little bit down on my plaid shirt, thinking it was bland and that it wouldn't "go" with anything else, but I realized that that is pandemic malaise talking. One has to celebrate one's results as well as one's plans. I put it on this morning and decided that I was happy with it - particularly as it was carefully sewn. Here's a slightly better picture of it on.

Well, that is enough for my procrastinating. I am happy to see so many people active and sewing such nice things - it's inspiring. Although I'm not productive, this is helping me to dream a little bit. I am happy to be working through some winter garments, but I admit that I'm excited about the "blooming" part after that, in which I will make the vintage fancy dress, the yellow flowered dress, the yellow coat...My elderly bachelor friend sent me this year's Pantone colours and apparently yellow and grey are it. He wanted me to know that he thinks I'm "on trend." :) That might be a first for me!

Have a nice weekend.

stephaniecan

Hello!

I did some "sewing" this weekend, but I mostly relaxed and did nothing after a heavy work week. That said, celebrate your achievements as well as your plans...I cut out my first waistcoat, using a piece of fabric I have great affection for. My partner bought it for me on one of our rambles. Whenever we ramble (in Italy, where he lives), we end up popping into shops and chatting with people. My partner is a great chatter. I have so much fun. On one of our rambles we ended up in a very high end fabric shop that would normally be out of the price range of what I would spend, except perhaps for a special occasion garment, and my partner bought me a small end piece of a very luxe wool fabric. I love plaids and this is very soft, but there wasn't much of it to do anything with. I don't wear many skirts, even when I am in the office, as I am often cold and it is such a hassle to wear snowpants to work and then change into a skirt. So...

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday plaid matching on all of the pieces to make my first cozy waistcoat. I even matched up the facing for the lapels. Feelings of satisfaction ensued! Here one piece is shown layered on top of the shirt fabric (shirt needs to be sewn up, too, but is cut). I love to mix patterns in odd ways, so I will definitely wear these two together.

stephaniecan

I'm planning to devote the weekend to sewing, as much as I can, so I got up this morning and started looking at my goods again. One epiphany I had is that I should start working on the yellow coat sooner than later, given that it is the project that will take the most time and effort (although fortunately I got through the fitting obstacles with my first version of the same coat last year (which still needs finishing due to the embroidered pockets that I got stalled on)). I posted a photo on my blog just to give a picture of the yellow wool double-cloth I'll be working with. Happiness defined (and will go nicely over many of my dress projects). I won't be able to hide anywhere...(I really need to move the mirror out of such a narrow area, but I added more cabinets this year and lost the prominent space it was in. Hmm..)

First things first though - time to sew the brown floral shirt and the waistcoat, and to finish my log cabin knit.

Cheers!

stephaniecan

I'm the world's slowest seamstress. To make matters worse, after I cut things out I seem to be cursed with trepidation/regret, so I wait before starting to sew.

I finally started sewing my Liberty shirt yesterday and I'm happy with how it is turning out (after all of that angst!). I redrafted the front in January and I think the fit is quite good. I'm usually quite a careful pattern matcher but I note that this time I didn't quite get the front bands perfectly lined up (there are double flowers!). I think I forgot that I was using a one-inch seam allowance. That said, the horizontals are perfect and the back yoke is perfect, too. Small victories!

Happy Sewing!

stephaniecan

February 19, 2021, 10:56:33 am #15 Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:38:52 pm by stephaniecan Reason: wrong person!
I took a massive detour over the last couple of weeks. I finished a sweater I started knitting on October 25 (and then ripped out and restarted on November 11, so I think based on the commentary to the rules that it would count, although I don't care if it is SWAP-able or not). I made the stranded colour chart to represent a house that I saw in the paper and want to buy (the yellow one!).

More pertinently, I have almost completed the coat with moth embroidery that I started for last year's SWAP. This is important only because I am going to use the same pattern for my yellow coat, since I like the shape on me and I also spent a lot of time fitting the pattern. I think it will be fun in yellow and the pockets will stand out more. I used traditional pick stitching on the plaid coat, but I might use top-stitching on the yellow coat (I still wish Luz Clara (I think it was Luz Clara who loves top-stitching) would come over to do that as nothing makes me crazier in sewing than my wonky top-stitching!. We'll see. The plaid coat still needs hemming and the lining to be put in, plus the single buttonhole. I hope to wear it this spring. (The lining I sewed last year, so it just needs to be hand sewn into the garment.) Hopefully, now that I am out of the woods with this coat I will cut the yellow one this weekend!

Cheers!

stephaniecan

Coat dreams....to be fulfilled!

Incidentally, I am ready to put on my big girl pants and start getting this SWAP moving. I have so many desired garments that I want to wear this springtime and have put in so little effort! Time to put my head down and DO IT!

stephaniecan

I'm very pleased, for I have put in a number of hours sewing this weekend. I started sewing in the lining of my moth coat, so I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It's nice to complete this before I sew the yellow one, but it's a bit of a pointless appetizer, not being eligible for this SWAP, so sorry about that!

I also started sewing my waistcoat. I have a photo but it is not hosted anywhere yet, so I'll post one another day. I realized that I make my life difficult, as the waistcoat has six darts and with the plaid and the thickness of the wool it was a bit of effort to sew them to match. I had to baste them all by hand, which was fine, as it was a sunny day and I enjoyed sitting in the sun and working on the darts. One day at a time!

Each time I sew I feel better, so I hope that helps to give me some more momentum going forward.

Take care!