• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
March 08, 2021, 05:03:59 am

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Turquoise's All Seasons All Reasons SWAP

Started by Turquoise, November 19, 2020, 09:49:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Turquoise

I've learned a lot more about what I actually like to wear and do wear from the previous SWAPs I've joined. 

I already worked from home most of the time before all the lockdowns and mayhem of this year and although I do have some dresses and skirts that I love, most of the time I wear "jeans" in various colours and then vary the tops and layers to suit the season. Most of the time when I go out I want to wear similar outfits but like to have some sort of jacket to give a more smart-casual look. 

I bought a pair of green jeans that I wore a lot in the height of summer with a couple of purchased sleeveless tops and I love the colour but I'm not wearing them now due to a lack of things to wear with them. 

So what I want to do in this year's SWAP is to make some garments so that I can wear these green jeans throughout the year; so have a range of tops and toppers to suit the different seasons and a few smarter co-ordinating pieces.

As yet I've never finished a SWAP so it would be nice this year to try and do that so I'm going to start out with the idea of a half-monty SWAP plan and then see if anything changes as I go along.

As part of the "Loosey-goosey 6-PAC" I've made a green cardigan and a green top that will go with these jeans and I have started knitting a jumper.  I've been pulling out previous makes from my wardrobe to try and see if anything else would also go with these jeans and so would fit the half-monty criteria for items already made.  I've also been pulling out various fabrics from my stash to see what would work for new makes.  It's good to find things that I forgot I had but I wish it was as quick to put things away as it is to pull out and make a mess :)

Turquoise

I've been having a look at outfit ideas on the internet to help me broaden ideas for colours that will work with my green jeans and colours that I think will suit my colouring.  I've put my favourite ones together into a collage.  I think this will help decide on fabrics from my stash.

Turquoise

I've gone through my previous makes with a fresh eye after looking at colours and have picked out some possible candidates to make up that part of a "half-monty" SWAP.  I can narrow them down later when I've made this years pieces.

Turquoise

Right I've been trying to tie things down a bit more to stop me going off in tangents everywhere.  I really identify with @stephaniecan on the danger of overplanning - I know how easy it is for me to get stuck deciding anything and forgetting that if I find myself in the lucky position of extra time I can make other things then.  A great lesson from previous SWAPs has been watching @Sew Ruthie Sews getting on with a plan and then continuing to add things as and when....

So I've mapped out the start of a plan.

Turquoise

I've finished my hand knitted sweater.  I had a bit of a scare as I was knitting the neckline. I had dropped one of my knitting needles when I was knitting the rib for the last sleeve and the end of the knitting needle came off.  I thought I'd managed to get it back on OK but when I was putting all the stitches onto the one needle to knit the neckline the end went popping off along with a lot of stitches.  My DH was great and heard my cry and held it all still as I picked up the dropped stitches onto a stitch holder.  We used a rubber band to create a new end on the broken knitting needle.  I'm going to treat myself to a new set and choose a longer length this time.

It's a good cozy, very relaxed fit sweater.  It's been really nice to have some knitting to do so I'm going to start another knitting project soon.

Turquoise

I've updated my plan with the completed hand-knitted sweater and the other patterns that I've picked out.  I'm hoping to make a muslin of the jacket before Christmas.

Turquoise

Yesterday I made a muslin for the jacket.  It needs length added to get the bust/waist in the right place.  I think my brain must have been addled from all the Christmas food and drink as I should have added this before cutting out the muslin.  I've gained a few pounds over lockdown/Christmas but my height hasn't changed  ;D

I'll have another go at the muslin today but think I might cut out my striped fabric to make up "Ronan's asymmetrical top" - I know that fits well and the fabric is a lovely soft brushed cotton jersey and it would be good to have that to wear right now.

Turquoise

I had another go at the muslin for the jacket and am happy with the fit now.  I then thought it might be good to have a go at making an arm for my dressform to assist with positioning shoulder pads /  steaming the shoulder area etc. . On patternreview.com I've seen some people make detachable arms using patterns from bootstrap fashions https://patterns.bootstrapfashion.com/diy-dress-form-sewing-pattern/dress-form-add-on-arm.html.  I wanted to just use what I had in my stash so I stuffed the arm with quilting batting rolled up and squashed in - so it's a bit of an odd, lumpy shape but I think it might be useful  :) . I think the person who made the arm only to elbow length had the right idea though as I think it might be hard to get the sleeve of garments over the whole arm (https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/154888).

I've been watching some Craftsy videos on modern tailoring techniques and need to check if I have the right sort of interfacings etc. in my stash or whether I need to purchase them.  I had forgotten what I lot of classes I had bought from Craftsy on tailoring / jackets  :embarassed:  - still they will be useful now  ;D

I saw Nancy Nix-Rice has made a version of the jacket where she omitted the welt pockets with flaps and have to agree with her that it is a more flattering look (https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/157667) but I would still like pockets if possible. Her version has a clever inside pocket made by folding extra fabric into the lining.

I re-watched a section of a Craftsy class by Kenneth D King (https://www.craftsy.com/class/the-carefree-fly-front-coat/) where he added in seam pockets to a princess seam coat pattern and think I might try and do that. I'll try it out in the muslin version first to see if that will work.

Turquoise

I've finished the green,striped top.  It's Silhouette Patterns "Ronan's Asymmetrical Top".  This is now a favourite pattern of mine as I have made three before and it's just like wearing a cozy sweatshirt in this soft double jersey fabric.

Turquoise

As this isn't the usual New Year's Eve this year, I've had more time than usual to sew and have sewn up an extra top that will go with my green jeans.  The photo doesn't show it very well but one of the colours in the mixed colours of this fabric is a green very similar to the green of the jeans.

The top is Silhouette Pattern's "Kendosa's Top", the same pattern as the darker green top I made previously as part of my Autumn 6-PAC.

Turquoise

I've updated my plan with the completed striped top.

Turquoise

I ordered what was described as khaki green viscose jersey and what has arrived is khaki green viscose ponte fabric.  So change of plan from the t-shirt I had planned as an add-on garment.  I've gone through my patterns and I have enough fabric to have a go at the Itch to Stitch La Paz Jacket.  I've been meaning to make this for a while so that's OK and gives me an excuse to buy some more jersey for that warmer t-shirt I planned  :)

Turquoise

I wanted to think about Summer, when hopefully our lives will be back to normal, for a short while -  so I've moved on to sewing the Summer tops first.  Here's the first one I've completed in a lightweight viscose jersey.  The pattern is Simplicity 8919. 

It's a nice little top; the only thing that is a bit odd is that the sleeves are just attached at the edges of the front and back necklines by a few stitches.  The pattern has a tie bow from self fabric on the front but I'm not sure I want to put that on so I'll leave it on the dressform for a while and make my mind up later.

Turquoise

I've finished the other Summer knit top - Simplicity 1113.  I like the shape and the length but I'm not sure how I feel about the binding at the neck and armholes.  I think I would use either much narrower  bindings or just overlock and topstitch for future versions as the binding gives quite a sporty look to the top and feels much more like a workout top.  It will be good in warm weather though!

Turquoise

I've updated my plan with the Summer tops. I ordered several types of interfacing for the jacket so the next thing will be to try out these and make a start on the jacket...and the new additional Ponte Jacket.

Turquoise

I did well at the weekend and cut out the green wool jacket and applied all the interfacing and it's now ready for tailor's tacks (I can't remember when I've spent so long back and forth to the ironing board).  Today I feel like I've come down with a cold though so I doubt I'll get much done in the next few days - perhaps my body is in shock after all that time with an iron ;)

Turquoise

I've been following Alison Smith's Craftsy class on tailoring with the green jacket I've been making and this is the first time I've put sleeve heads and floating chest pieces in a jacket.  I thought it looked very odd on my dress form inside out for stitching but was relieved to see how nice the shoulder area looks when you try it on and those sleeve heads stop jutting out like some sci-fi costume.  The fabric is a little prone to fraying so I've hand-stitched the seam allowances down with herringbone stitches.  It's been quite a relaxing process.  I need to cut out the lining to start the next stage and can't make up my mind between a bold, contrasting pink lining or one of the more aqua/turquoise ones I have in my stash.