• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
March 02, 2021, 09:47:28 am

News:

What does SG do with $35.00 per year?
-Brings together people from all walks of life who share a common love of sewing.
-Pays the bills without selling or sharing any of your personal information.
-Provides an ad-free experience for everyone.
-Provides an up-to-date cross-platform venue that works on all your favorite devices.
-Stores, protects and allows you to share your messages, posts, photos and tutorials.
-Helps keep the community active and supports its growth.


Treefrog's Algebra SWAP Redux

Started by treefrog, January 02, 2021, 04:45:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

treefrog

My SWAP is based on the Algebra SWAP formula.  I find thinking in terms of smaller groupings, or 'looks' makes it easier for me to put together a co-ordinated set. It also ticks off most of my garment needs al the moment - jeans, summer pants, hiking set and to use a couple of shirting fabrics that I didn't get to last year.


Inspiration looks

Full details are on my blog, but this is the structure.
  • "3 pack" of Color(s) A (3 garments) - This will be blues - denim + the floral rayon
  • "3 pack" of Color(s) B (3 garments) - This will be naturals - embroidered voile, linen pants and a stripe T
  • "Combo Pack" of Colors A & B (2 garments) - An eyelet voile and cotton sateen
  • "3 pack" of Wild Cards - Hiking group with a linen shirt, drawstring pants & more technical pair of hiking pants

I'm also considering a hiking SWAP, which I'll work on over the course of the year.

treefrog

January 02, 2021, 05:01:37 pm #1 Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:13:38 pm by treefrog
The first 3 pack is for jeans and a floral blouse.


The straight leg jeans was to be my pre-SWAP item.  I'd made a test pair that I'd drafted a non-stretch jeans pattern based on my pants sloper, which had a pretty good fit, but there was a twist in the leg.  I think this is due to the way I'd done a knock-knee adjustment. But I need to give it another try at some stage.  More details on the blog if you are interested.

I went back to an Ottobre pattern for stretch denim and got a good result, so the stretch jeans are done.  They are in a lightweight stretch denim which will be great for summer.


treefrog

Pattern tetris anyone?

This week, I tried a mock up of the McCall's pattern for the floral blouse.  The pattern was a total failure, but I learnt a new method for making a hidden button placket.  I ended up unpicking the shirt and re-cutting it into another pattern. (More on the blog if you are interested)  Turned out really well.  Will need to re-think which pattern I want to use the floral print on. 


Transforming McCalls 7387 into Ottobre 2/2013 #9

treefrog

I've been making a bit of progress.  My intention was to have the "blue group" finished in January, but I'm still trying to settle on a pattern for the floral top.  The second pair of jeans are finished.  It is the same pattern I used for the lightweight pair, but this time in a heavier but stretchier denim.  I had to reduce the width and crotch height a bit to account for the stretch



For February, I'd like to get the "cream group" finished as these are perfect for hot days. 



I've deviated a little by making a pair of linen jeans with a bit of a flare.  It was an experiment using the rub-off technique to get a pattern from a RTW linen jean I bought over 20 years ago.  It was a lot easier to do than I expected and worked really well. 

The kimono T is self-drafted and loose fitting



treefrog

I finished the embroidered voile shirt so Pack B is complete.  Yay, progress  :smiles-pom2:

I made so many stuff-ups on this one.  I'd stitched the sleeve placket to the incorrect side and only noticed after I'd cut the slit.  I put some sticky tape on the cut and was able to unpick the placket and was able to re-stitch it correctly.