• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
March 01, 2021, 02:16:52 am

News:

If the login link isn't  appearing on the top of the front page, use these links to access it:
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=login 

Mahgret's Up Your Game SWAP

Started by mahgret, November 17, 2020, 07:31:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mahgret

Starting my thread to record my planning in progress.  I plan to do the half monty.  I want to sew entirely from my existing stash.  This year I have lost nearly 50 lbs dealing with health issues.  I am still wearing my existing wardrobe, but am starting to have to constantly catch my pants to prevent them from falling.  So I think one aspect will be to make some alterations on my existing clothes.  THen I need to sew some replacements for items that are wearing out.  But also, I want to concentrate on "upping my game"- for SWAP purposes that means sewing long planned cardigans to go with existing tops and pants.  Along side the SWAP sewing, I want to work on pairing accessories with my outfits.  I always admire when someone accessorizes effectively but I don't tend to do it.  I am going to read what I can find of my planning for previous SWAPs and maybe try to remember planned items that I didn't get to.

mahgret

November 19, 2020, 02:38:57 pm #1 Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:43:46 pm by mahgret
LOL I definitely need to up my game, this is the second day I'm wearing an old sweatshirt of my husband's from a football team my son played on when he was 12 (he's 26 this year). Anyway, I went through some fabrics yesterday so I could order matching thread.  Here is a list of some thoughts:

1) I need to make a replacement for my grey ponte pants which are wearing thin.
2) i would like to make a few cardigan type toppers to avoid wearing decades old hoodies.  I have some nice sweater knits- one a lovely cream color, the other a black and white variegated. THese would go with most of my existing tops for layering.
3) I would like to make a new pair of jeans, using the Style Arc Misty pattern. I need to retire one pair I made because of wear.
4) I have a few patterns from 5oo4 Patterns for tops that would be more wintery. I paired them up with some cream jersey, some blue scuba, some grey textured knit, some teal textured knit, some red french terry and some pink variegated french terry. (considering a traditional simple tee for the cream jersey to make a twin set with the sweater knit cardigan)
5) I need to alter my two pairs of black ponte pants so they fit better, they are a real wardrobe staple for me.

So I guess I am on the road to more than a half monty but I really want to incorporate existing items so I think I will edit.

mahgret

I sewed my finished before the 26th item.
 IMG_1363 by Maggie, on Flickr 

This is the Tea Cardigan from Annelaine Patterns, in a mystery knit I believe I bought on a road trip to FabricMart.  I had an issue because the stretch was less than it should have been for the cuffs and I plunged ahead anyway, so out came the seam ripper.  I ended up tapering the sleeve quite a bit to get the cuff to fit, but also the sleeve fits much nicer now.

mahgret

IMG_1487 by Maggie, on Flickr

I made this hoodie from a mystery knit which is very cozy but was a bear to sew!  I am happy with it and will for sure attempt to get a better photo.  The pattern is Annabeth from 5 out of 4 patterns. 

Part of my plan is to repair/resize existing clothes to go with my half monte SWAP.  I cut apart my favorite but too big and wearing out grey ponte slacks (I tapered to the existing hem to try to avoid them getting any shorter).  Well, if you cut apart the crotch seam and resew a new seam, you are essentially scooping out the crotch.  Which was ok for the fit of the crotch, but shortened the length significantly. and not in a look cute cropped pants kind of way.  In a look at the big girl in high water pants way.  I have a new piece of ponte for a new pair, so I will eventually replace them.

mahgret

Sorry I have been missing, I've been in a cranky funk.  I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude but it's not easy.  I'm fine, I have no reason to be struggling except the same reasons we all have.

I made an Eleanor Cardigan by 5 out of 4 patterns, a size 4x tapered out to a 5x towards the waist.  The fabric is a cream colored rib knit.  I have no idea what it is or where I got it.  It was a little bit of a bear to sew, as it is super stretchy and also it kept getting sucked down into the feed dogs on both serger and sewing machine.  I made the knee length and I think I like it.  The stretchiness doesn't seem too much of an issue when wearing it.

IMG_1672 by Maggie, on Flickr

Also, I cast on a pullover sweater.  The pattern is Love Notes by TinCanKnits.  I am knitting it with a green fingering weight yarn held with a strand of blue mohair/silk blend.  I am really thrilled with the color the combo makes because the original green was not my best color. I had the green yarn in stash, bought the mohair to make this sweater.  It is knit on big needles, I think I should be able to finish it for the SWAP deadline.

IMG_1659 by Maggie, on Flickr