• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2020, 01:21:55 am

News:

To access all of our great topics, and use all the terrific features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription. 
Visit this thread: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,1849 For more information
If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

SWAP 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Started by treefrog, November 16, 2020, 05:05:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

treefrog

Just starting the thread for the general discussion for this year's SWAP.  Over to you... :thumbsup:

Turquoise

Thank you for the very flexible rules @treefrog - I shall enjoy re-reading and digesting them after work and it will be fun to start planning.  I can't wait to see other people's thoughts and plans  :)

Helen M

Thank you Treefrog! I've just quickly read through rules so will go back and read properly later.
Sewing in Cheshire

Susan in Saint John

Treefrog, Thanks for moderating.  The rules are very appropriate to these times and should be flexible enough for all of us.  Time to start planning!

Melinda_B

Woohoo! Love this! I could do two of the full monty to fill all the gaps in my wardrobe! If only I had the time.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

kowgiirl.up

I love the rules @treefrog . Thank you for all your efforts to think this SWAP through and for making it so flexible. What a way to kick off 2021.  :applause2:
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Grasshopper

Adding my thanks to you @treefrog, for being the SWAP Coordinator and for coming up with such flexible rules.  I just did a quick read-through and will come back to re-read and further digest, as well.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

treefrog

;D I'm glad you liked the rules.  It is a bit of a departure from tradition, but I hope there is something there for everyone. 

Melinda - 2 full monties  :o You're keen!

I'm so looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.  Can't wait to see your plans

Melinda_B

Quote from: treefrog on November 17, 2020, 01:55:02 pmMelinda - 2 full monties  :o You're keen!

I  said I could do two and not fill all the gaps, not that I was planning two! I'm a serial non finisher of SWAP
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Sew Ruthie Sews

well you know I just can't resist a SWAP.

But heck I have no idea what my life will be like during that period.

At the moment our entire department are reapplying for fewer jobs in a company restructure, and its unclear what will happen.

So will I need WFH clothes for that same company or will that company keep me but want me back in the office, if so what's the dress code going to be?
Will I need to find a new job, if so where will I be working and what clothes do I need?
Will I be able to travel or go meet others in social situations?

One thing I'll definitely be doing is sleeping and doing online/at home fitness.
So maybe a PJ and exercise wear wardrobe would be good!
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Sew Ruthie Sews

Thinking...

Maybe an all eventualities SWAP would be the one to go for, something to try and cover whatever 2021 throws in my path.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

mudcat

I'm thinking to do something like the endless combo using some of my Style Arc 2-3 piece  combos like Parker, Como, etc.  I already was planning to join the PR fabric stash contest next month (which runs for two months!) and pump out a bunch of new workout clothes as mine are all 12-15 years old and starting to lose their elasticity. 

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: Sew Ruthie Sews on November 18, 2020, 06:16:39 amThinking...

Maybe an all eventualities SWAP would be the one to go for, something to try and cover whatever 2021 throws in my path.

I seem to remember that ejvc posted something about a wardrobe plan for that sort of thing a number of years ago in one of the wardrobe planning threads.  It included having something suitable to wear out for a fancy dinner on short notice [not too likely right now but we can live in hope!], to a funeral, to a wedding, to a pool party, to a job interview, etc.  For some reason the number 21 is sticking in my head -- not sure if that was the list of kinds of occasions, or the number of outfits, or what.

I'm sure you're going to land with both feet firmly on the ground, you're that sort of a woman.  None of us know what the next year is going to bring so an all eventualities SWAP is probably a good way for many of us to look at SWAP.  Actually, we probably have a better idea about what's not going to happen -- big parties/gatherings, out of country vacations, not needing a mask.

indigotiger

It occurred to me that my just disappearing off the forum was somewhat ill timed, with the pandemic and all that, so I poked my nose in to see what was going on, and lo and behold it is SWAP season again, and treefrog has created a dandy of a plan! I wasn't intending to even consider joining in, since A. I have enough clothing, in part because I have been strictly isolating since early March, with nowhere to go and no other humans to see, and B. I have done basically no sewing in all those months, (other than making masks for folks, which, while necessary and useful, sucked all the joy from my stitching life)...

But, with the "half monty" option, I could fill in some of the obvious remaining wardrobe gaps, and maybe rescue my moribund mojo and start sewing again... Hmmm six garments... maybe a pair of overalls, that raincoat I keep making false starts on, definitely a cardigan and/or a soft unstructured jacket, and I do want to stitch up a new summer popover dress from the "indigo tiger" rayon. While I do not need any more knit tops, I have some fun mushroom print knits sitting on the shelf. Not making any promises, but it might be time to take the (virtual) shovel to the cluttered mess my former sewing space has become, pick up the mounds of scraps that weren't big enough to make masks from, look through some of the garment lengths of fabric, and see if I can find my way back to what formerly brought me so much pleasure 
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Turquoise

@indigotiger - so good to hear from you and to hear that you are thinking you might go back into the sewing room.  I am finding sewing a great comfort at this time, especially now I feel part of a community project again with SWAP and hope it can be for you too.

Turquoise

@mudcat Have you made the Style Arc Como cardi from a sweater knit before? - if so did you size down? I just made it from a sweater knit and it was way too big even bearing in mind it's supposed to be oversized. 

Sew Ruthie Sews

Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Grasshopper

November 20, 2020, 08:29:28 am #17 Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:33:25 am by Grasshopper
It is lovely to see everyone's thoughts and plans starting to materialize.  I'm so enjoying seeing everyone check in here.  The friendship and comradery of this group across the miles and time zones is especially comforting right now.

@mahgret, I can commiserate with your desire to "up your game."  I feel strongly that I want to do the same, especially since my work wardrobe needs to be casual and has somewhat become intertwined with my home wardrobe since I don't really need business wear much any more.

@Sew Ruthie Sews, I am continuing to send positive thoughts your way for your job situation.  I like the idea of a "ready for anything" collection and I think the pieces you identified would mix and match well for that.

@stephaniecan, you have some lovely fabrics!  I can appreciate your feelings on making something with the fabric your beloved gave you.  There's the fear of cutting into it and ruining it weighed against the joy he will feel when seeing you wearing it as a beautiful garment.  I also like your goal of finally making a garment before Dec. 26!  I want to do the same.  Sometimes progress is best made through the achievement of the smaller goals, isn't it?

@mudcat, I also really want to work from my stash this year, too.  I have so many pieces of beautiful fabric that deserve to be made up and worn.

@Turquoise, I like your outfit inspiration color palette ideas.  It seems like using your olive green jeans is a great starting point.  Taking a favorite garment and expanding upon how to wear them is very smart.

@indigotiger, I too have not done much sewing in many months, but after finally getting my sewing room *mostly* unpacked and set up after our move and finishing up a UFO last weekend, my stress level has decreased and my desire to sew has steadily increased.  I hope that you will find your way back to it as well.

I have been doing lots of thinking on what I need, what I want to sew, and what fabrics I have in my stash, but I haven't decided yet what I want to do.  I expect that I will spend some time this weekend looking through my fabric stash to see what combinations I come up with.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

stephaniecan

@Grasshopper Agree about small goals! Thanks!

@Sew Ruthie Sews Ruthie, I agree with Susan that you seem the type of person to land on your feet. I don't want to sound Polyannaish, but sometimes I find a shake-up, even if not desired, turns out to open new doors/ways of thinking. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist. I like your plan, anyhow - to stay open to everything.

@indigotiger SO happy to see you here. I do hope you will participate and also make some pretty things to relieve the gloom. I also have been pretty isolated for seven months (my latest company has been the plumbing crew gutting my home... :(). I don't need new clothes, but I am treating myself just because I am worth it!
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

mudcat

Quote from: Turquoise on November 20, 2020, 01:15:45 am@mudcat Have you made the Style Arc Como cardi from a sweater knit before? - if so did you size down? I just made it from a sweater knit and it was way too big even bearing in mind it's supposed to be oversized. 

No I haven't made it yet.  I always buy the individual size 8 so I get the 6 and 10 so I will definitely measure things before making.  As rule I use 8 for knits and 10 for wovens after checking the finished measurements.  Sounds like I may need to use the 6 for this one.

warpjr1965

Loving everyone's ideas!!

I am dipping my toe in the water. I have some unfinished items and things that need to be altered, so I may start there, or I may start with a pair of pants, or maybe....

I will start somewhere! and I think I will do an endless chain type thing, along with Mudcat.  It will allow some creativity, and provide just enough structure. My aim is to sew as much as I can from stash, but I will likely need to make a few purchases too.
Wendy

treefrog

I'm sitting here with a cuppa and catching up with everyone's plans.  It's so exciting. 

@indigotiger It is so lovely to hear from you. I managed to finish last year's SWAP but kinda fell off the board too.  For me sewing has also taken a back seat. I hope you can find your sewjo again and that it lifts your spirits a little. 

@mudcat and @warpjr1965 Endless combinations sounds perfect.  I'm looking forward to seeing your plans.

Happy planning everyone!

@stephaniecan Love your selection of fabrics.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the fancy dress.  That sound like so much fun.

Turquoise

Quote from: CCL on November 21, 2020, 08:13:10 amSo I have now made the planning part of SWAP probably the biggest part of the challenge!

I did smile when I read this @CCL .  I'm trying very hard not to complicate my SWAP but it's hard - there is always so much that I want to try, make, use from stash and never enough hours.  The planning is enjoyable too :)

Sew Ruthie Sews

Lovely to see so many people interested in participating.

I have had a bit of time going through my fabric cupboard and have found plenty which sort of goes together.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Susan in Saint John

I am planning to participate but I haven't had time to do any planning just yet.  I'm doing a philosophy course and I have an essay due in a couple of weeks.  Once I get that out of the way, I'll have some time to putter in my stash.  My SWAP will come from stash almost certainly as I shopped in Montreal early this year -- pre-Covid.

Since last year's SWAP, I've done a couple of online classes which have produced a sleeveless block which makes me happy and a sleeved shirt block which is OK.  I'm currently enrolled in a pants class to create a trouser and a jeans block but I am seriously behind because of the philosophy class commitment.  I am anxious to start planning SWAP which is an incentive to get the essay out of the way.

I'll post a thread once I figure out enough to know what to call it.

stephaniecan

November 22, 2020, 07:24:17 am #25 Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:06:29 am by stephaniecan Reason: typo
@Susan in Saint John It's really neat that you are taking a philosophy course. There are so many subjects I would like to study when I have more time. Good for you for doing that!

@Turquoise The planning is a big part of the fun for me, but I am trying to stop myself from over planning this year, as that always gets me into trouble. I feel as though sometimes it may be good just to decide on something and do it...at least for an endless thinker like me.
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

stephaniecan

@luz clara Love love love your theme. I definitely suffer from the inability to cut my best pieces of fabric. Great thinking.

Towanda

It's great to be hanging out with all of you again. Last year, I finished more garments that I've done in previous years. Every year, I vow to finish and I never do. The rules this year will work for me since I realize that I suck at planning. I am going to start with a pair of black pants that I made last year and never wore. I've lost some weight so I need to see if they still fit.

I have enjoyed reading everyone plans and thoughts. Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes.

Helen M

I'd like to give it a go as well but need to do a bit more planning. I've been 'shopping my closet' this autumn, just as well I hoard stuff as in wider leg pants that I'd always planned to take in a bit! They are now back in fashion but maybe I need tops that are a different shape to carry them off? Maybe that's my starting point.

Lovely to see so many interested. :)
Sewing in Cheshire

stephaniecan

That sounds like a great starting point, @Helen M. Wide-leg pants are indeed very fashionable now and they do tend to need their own set of tops!

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I find shopping my closet always leads to discoveries of things I completely forgot I had.  :)

Melinda_B

I'm still thinking over options, there's far too many choices here, but do know that I'll be sewing as much as possible from stash. 
Melinda

Perth, Australia

helenyang

Only 31 day's left of 2020. Advance happy new year to all.

helenyang

Hey there, I'm just looking for a zigzag sew machine. I've chosen SINGER's one. My cousin say's bernina is better than Singer.
Now i'm confused. Please can you help me to chose best one?

Grasshopper

@Melinda_B, I agree that there's potential for way too many options with this year's rules.  That's why I decided to start with the rules from a previous SWAP to give me some restrictions and framework; otherwise, I will suffer the paralysis from too much analysis problem.  I do like the idea of the Endless Combinations and my collection may morph into that as I go.
Lyneisa

Pagog

November 30, 2020, 11:05:19 am #34 Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:45:14 pm by Pagog
I was just going to post my SWAP participation with the title "Got The Blues", but Indigotiger beat me to it.  Guess great minds think alike!  Has that ever happened?  I'll come up with some other title. I want to use denim, twill, and play with Shibori dyeing for some other components. What a hot mess the dyeing will be. Because of the world's situation, I am looking forward to this on-line interaction. A lot has happened this year.  We left the city (boo hoo) for the country, moved into a brand new one story house down the street from my DD, we have a legal suit with our builder, I made the decision to stop dyeing my hair, my husband had knee replacement surgery during the "situation".  We are at physical therapy right now.  I desperately need a diversion.