• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2021, 05:47:31 pm

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

SWAP 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Started by treefrog, November 16, 2020, 05:05:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

treefrog

@Pagog Your colour scheme and favrics look wonderful.  I'm looking forward to seeing it all some together

Lisanne

December 12, 2020, 04:59:02 am #71 Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:02:35 am by Lisanne
Many Thanks to Treefrog for sorting this out.
I have not looked at SG for some months, and was delighted to find everyone gearing up for SWAP.

I wear a 'uniform' of my signature blouse with slim pants, and all the variety in pullover layers, so adding to my wardrobe means more of the layers.

Not making any commitment for now - but I'm currently taking a course on making Japanese style garments from rectangles - perhaps that would be a way I could make a half-monty in 4 months  :D
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/sewingplums/rectangles/

These rules would allow a '100 Acts of Sewing' approach - just make 11 versions of the same simple pattern in different prints. . .
hmm - 11 box tops which are just 2 rectangles  :D
or, in a knit fabric, just one rectangle with 2 holes for the arms. . .

On the other hand, I'm testing a very simple cut-on sleeve top and have a mile-long list of possible variations - perhaps that would be the way to go. . .

Looking forward to reading about all your adventures  !

[and I continue to think SG would build up to more active if non-members were allowed to see the discussions]
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - opinions on style, wardrobes, patterns
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lisannebainbrid/ - useful style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - links to good technique advice
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - listing of Peggy Sagers' sew-alongs
https://usingmybernina500e.wordpress.com - instructions for using my embroidery machine

crazyquilter

I enjoyed your pinterest board @Lisanne .  Last year my plan was focused around a cropped boxy top to go over sleeveless Ivey Abitz style dresses, skirts and pants.  I ran aground when I didn't manage to sort out a pattern that worked for me.  I'm leaning in that direction again.  I have the Strata Top by Sew Liberated pattern cut out and waiting to muslin.  I'm determined this time to keep at it until I wind up with a TNT.

I've always liked vests for the punch they can add to an outfit with a small fabric outlay and easy construction.  These boxy tops seem to me like a modern take on wearing vests with the added benefit that they can also be worn alone as a t-shirt alternate. Back in the '70s I had a boxy top made from putting a neck in a rayon scarf that I wore until it was ragged, so I know I like the look.

At one point @indigotiger mentioned she wanted to develop a huipil top.  I like that such a simple (or I guess seemingly simple since it has eluded me so far) pattern can be made and worn in so many ways.

Lisanne

Yes, Crazyquilter, I have the Strata pattern too.
For some unknown reason I've gone for the Seamwork Bo top, very easy, or would be if I hadn't made extensive changes for my sloping shoulders, and big changes to the bias facing method - although their method is better than most it still doesn't give a good result for me.  Ah well. . .

Sadly my knit box top, from which I found that I love them, now has a moth hole right in the middle of the front. . .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - opinions on style, wardrobes, patterns
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lisannebainbrid/ - useful style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - links to good technique advice
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - listing of Peggy Sagers' sew-alongs
https://usingmybernina500e.wordpress.com - instructions for using my embroidery machine

crazyquilter

QuoteSadly my knit box top, from which I found that I love them, now has a moth hole right in the middle of the front. . .

It sounds like it's time for some visible mending.

boppingbeth

I'm in.  Who knows if I will actually finish but I will make a valiant attempt at least. Online teaching is definitely kicking my derriere. 

My 'rules' are honestly, just use the stash.  I have enough fabric to make about three SWAPs without ever touching a black piece of fabric.  I need more clothes that are not black, dark grey or dark purple that reads black on camera.  I am teaching this year online, which means I am on camera every day.  My uniform (nice narrow pants, nice top, and layer) ends up showing only the top of the black sweater I usually wear.  I really need to lighten things up and I need to enjoy what I have.  I made a 6 pack (one layer, two pants, three tops) this fall that was a disaster because I chose styles that did not flatter my shape in any way.  I need to go back to wash and wear basics.   

Sew Ruthie Sews

I have sewn up the first item for my 'Ready for Anything' SWAP. This is my one item which may be sewn up before the official sewing start date as per the rules for the Full Monty.
The pictures are over on my thread.

Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Upstate Linda

I finished planning my Linda's Leopard Mania SWAP.  Now I am going to try and scan or photo my planning sheets and see if I can get them posted in my thread.

Turquoise

Well done @Sew Ruthie Sews - those are very smart yoga pants.

I'm on the last sleeve of my knitted sweater that will be my piece started before the SWAP starts.  If I'm lucky I might have time before Christmas to make a muslin or two but we will see.  Lots of Christmas shopping tasks are taking a fair bit longer this year than usual.

kowgiirl.up

I'm on the fence about joining the SWAP, I just can't seem to make my mind up right now. I am leaning towards just sewing along but I don't know how to do that. How does that work?
Theresa

Runs with scissors

CCL

Quote from: kowgiirl.up on December 15, 2020, 01:50:35 pmI'm on the fence about joining the SWAP, I just can't seem to make my mind up right now. I am leaning towards just sewing along but I don't know how to do that. How does that work?

Theresa, I always "sew along" - I basically do my plan, start a thread for my SWAP and post progress there.  Sometimes I finish the SWAP (but always a long, l-o-n-g time past the deadline), and just keeping posting updates in my thread until I either abandon it (last year) or finally complete sewing the garments outlined in the plan.

Not sure that that is "kosher" or if I am breaking any rules, but I so enjoy the camaraderie and exchange of ideas, that it's worth it to me.  Would love to have you join me on the "sew along bench."

treefrog

Please join in @kowgiirl.up   :)  This is one big sew along.  Perhaps start with a project the makes you happy and go from there.  As @CCL says, it's the camaraderie and exchange of ideas that make it fun --- the journey not the destination

Turquoise

I love your altered RTW top @Sew Ruthie Sews - you'll be the smartest person in the Pilates class  :applause2:

@kowgiirl.up - please consider joining in.  Like @CCL I've never completely finished a SWAP by the deadline to date but it has always been a positive experience and I've always learned something useful by taking part.  Last year I started with real gusto but life took over and I never got anywhere near finishing but it was still great to take part.  Even if as far you get is to consider plans you will probably learn something useful and I bet your ideas and thoughts will help others.  I always get to consider things from different angles and am exposed to new thoughts about sewing and my wardrobe by reading and seeing everyone else's plans and progress.

boppingbeth

Please just come and sew along.  You will end up with new clothes, and there is a cheering squad here to keep you going.  Some years that is all I can handle, too.

Turquoise

@boppingbeth - when I haven't had a similar RTW garment to compare for choosing sizes Peggy's advice for wrapping the knit fabric around you to help choose a size has been really handy.  It's a bit awkward at first but it does give you a clue.  I find I generally use one size for the more stable, less stretchy knits and the next size down for really stretchy knits.  I've kept small swatches of fabrics I've used in trial garments stapled to a piece of paper with the size I used to help choose future versions of that pattern.

I look forward to seeing your "Hugo's favourite cardigan " - it's a really good pattern and I'm planning on making more for my wardrobe. 

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: boppingbeth on December 12, 2020, 05:34:04 pmI'm in.  Who knows if I will actually finish but I will make a valiant attempt at least. Online teaching is definitely kicking my derriere. 

My 'rules' are honestly, just use the stash.  I have enough fabric to make about three SWAPs without ever touching a black piece of fabric.  I need more clothes that are not black, dark grey or dark purple that reads black on camera.  I am teaching this year online, which means I am on camera every day.  My uniform (nice narrow pants, nice top, and layer) ends up showing only the top of the black sweater I usually wear.  I really need to lighten things up and I need to enjoy what I have.  I made a 6 pack (one layer, two pants, three tops) this fall that was a disaster because I chose styles that did not flatter my shape in any way.  I need to go back to wash and wear basics.   

All this camera work is an opportunity to showcase necklines and/or collars that flatter your face without being distracting.  We've discussed The Triumph of Individual Style [Carla Mason Mathis and Helen Villa Connor] here a number of times over the years.  It's my go-to book for this sort of analysis.

boppingbeth

Quote from: Susan in Saint John on December 17, 2020, 01:25:22 pmAll this camera work is an opportunity to showcase necklines and/or collars that flatter your face without being distracting.  We've discussed The Triumph of Individual Style [Carla Mason Mathis and Helen Villa Connor] here a number of times over the years.  It's my go-to book for this sort of analysis.

As long as I can wear thermal underwear under it lol! All that sitting while teaching is making me cold.

Grasshopper

@Turquoise, I LOVE your sweater!  It looks fabulously warm and cozy. 

I've been steadily working through possibilities for my plan and have narrowed things down considerably.  I'll likely get around to posting an update to my thread tomorrow.  Fortunately, I think I will be able to sew at least eight garments from stash fabric, which pleases me greatly.  And, if all goes according to plan, I should be sewing on my made before Dec. 26 garment this weekend.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Susan in Saint John

For those of you still in the planning stages [like me], you might find some ideas to organize your thoughts and plan your outfits here https://www.mybodymodel.com/sketch-sew/10-sewing-planners-to-use-with-mybodymodel-free-paid-options/

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: boppingbeth on December 17, 2020, 05:09:15 pm
Quote from: Susan in Saint John on December 17, 2020, 01:25:22 pmAll this camera work is an opportunity to showcase necklines and/or collars that flatter your face without being distracting.  We've discussed The Triumph of Individual Style [Carla Mason Mathis and Helen Villa Connor] here a number of times over the years.  It's my go-to book for this sort of analysis.

As long as I can wear thermal underwear under it lol! All that sitting while teaching is making me cold.

You could make matching/coordinating cowls which are worn as an accessory aka a neck warmer.

Susan in Saint John

Hen -- welcome back, great to see you here again

kowgiirl.up

I've been mulling this over for a few days and you gals have talked me into it :). I really stink at planning. My plans seams (<<< get it ha, ha) to get all cattywampus but who knows, maybe this time will be the ticket. I'm going to just sew along and see where I end up.

Thank you for the encouragement  :thumbsup:
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

@Turquoise , I too love your sweater. I've been waiting to see it since your posted about it a while back. How cool to make something so wearable from knitting needles- and you did it yourself  :applause2:
Theresa

Runs with scissors

sharonspils

I am loving seeing everyone's plan and discussion.

@Grasshopper I have made the Jalie Jeans a number of times they come in both high rise and low with the boot leg which is perfect for my petite stature.

@Turquoise your jumper is amazing and @indigotiger love your pattern and the yarn sounds perfect.  Not sure I can knit a jumper in the time frame but I am thinking a linen tank for summer will be perfect.

I am looking forward to participating, I know what I need so that should make it easy and now I have finished up work there should be nothing stopping me from sewing up a storm.

Melinda_B

This is such a flexible SWAP that I'm seriously thinking of not planning it at all.  Just grab a fabric and pattern and include it.
Melinda<br /><br />Perth, Australia<br />Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Turquoise

Very impressed with your preparation for SWAP @Towanda  :)

stephaniecan

December 21, 2020, 07:17:05 pm #96 Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:45:28 am by stephaniecan
Lovely sweater, @Turquoise. Such beautiful colour variation!

@kowgiirl.up So glad you were convinced to join. It's a supportive and fun group and no one judges how far one gets or doesn't get.

I finally started sewing my pre-SWAP item. It's nothing exciting - just a plaid shirt with oblique front pockets - but that's something, nevertheless.

That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

stephaniecan

I've just started reading through everyone's recent additions to their threads. There is so much interesting thinking and planning going on. @Towanda Now that's organization.

@Grasshopper I found your musing about the clothing/jeans you find most appealing very interesting. (And your colour palette and organization of your fabrics are both fun to see.) I think we do gravitate back to styles we liked when we were younger. I was raised in the 70s and 80s and was very much a jeans girl (my mom was full into dressing me in clothes interchangeable with my brother's, and as I remarked to a colleague the other day whose child was playing on the floor with trucks in the Zoom frame...I love playing on the floor with trucks! I should have been an engineer rather than an economist-statistician, as my favourite times as a kid involved making bridges and highways for my brother's trucks). When I was a young woman I wore lots of dresses and skirts and liked that, too, but I still feel very much at ease in a 70s or 80s look with wide-leg pants or mom jeans and dropped shoulder sweaters. I feel instantly kind of free when I put on those clothes - as if I am ready for action. (Or maybe I am just a delusional middle-aged woman who thinks she can return to her glory days! :))

I look forward to reading through all of the threads.
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

Grasshopper

Quote from: stephaniecan on December 22, 2020, 07:58:31 am@Grasshopper I found your musing about the clothing/jeans you find most appealing very interesting. (And your colour palette and organization of your fabrics are both fun to see.) I think we do gravitate back to styles we liked when we were younger. I was raised in the 70s and 80s and was very much a jeans girl (my mom was full into dressing me in clothes interchangeable with my brother's, and as I remarked to a colleague the other day whose child was playing on the floor with trucks in the Zoom frame...I love playing on the floor with trucks! I should have been an engineer rather than an economist-statistician, as my favourite times as a kid involved making bridges and highways for my brother's trucks). When I was a young woman I wore lots of dresses and skirts and liked that, too, but I still feel very much at ease in a 70s or 80s look with wide-leg pants or mom jeans and dropped shoulder sweaters. I feel instantly kind of free when I put on those clothes - as if I am ready for action. (Or maybe I am just a delusional middle-aged woman who thinks she can return to her glory days! :))

I was very much a tomboy in my youth, much to the chagrin of my mom and grandmother.  They would have much preferred to see me in more feminine styles, but I was too busy driving the tractor and following my grandfather around in the vegetable fields to worry about what they wanted me to wear!  I do wonder why it is that we seem to gravitate back to the styles of our youth, though.  Don't get me wrong.  I like to wear dress trousers and skirts and I do actually miss working in an office environment with a stricter dress code.  But I agree that there is a certain amount of freedom (of mobility, at least, as well as capability) to be felt when wearing more casual or relaxed clothing.  I would venture to say that that feeling is what I was trying to capture when I created my Ruggedly Chic style recipe.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

stephaniecan

@Grasshopper My grandmother also wanted to see me in more feminine styles (and knitted me more than a few pink sweaters!). I think we can have the best of both worlds. And aren't we lucky! I look forward to seeing your sewn garments.

@kowgiirl.up Congrats on getting started!

anna.wahnsinn

I have already accomplished more for SWAP than any other year before, I'm so happy.

a) I have cut out and sewn a pair of pants from a new pattern that I will happily call a muslin - cheap fabric, I may wear it under a dress, but not too sure about that. Very weird fit. So for now I'll probably stick to the one pattern I already know and love.
b) Cut out the pieces for the dress an online friend designed for me (from a very old pattern & my favourite dress) and now have to find matching thread for the neckline. The rest will be done with the serger and won't show.
c) I got out the serger and changed the white thread to black and tried it and actually made something on it (see a). Works like a dream. Success!

I won't be doing any sewing tomorrow or on Friday because I'll be busy with Christmas stuff, but I can't wait to get started.
Anne

mahgret

Thanks @Susan in Saint John for posting about the MYBodyModel site. I think I am going to work on making   croquis and some sort of planning sheet type of system.  I have pieces in my wardrobe I know I made but I have no idea what pattern I used or any details.

treefrog

Wow, it is so exciting to see everyone's plans and a few projects already finished. I've been dabbling with drafting my own jeans for rigid denim, which almost worked out.  It needs a little more work so I've set it aside for the time being.  I then traced off on Ottobre pattern for stretch denim and got it to fit without too much hassle.  The stretch jeans are now done. There is a post on my blog, but I'll start my own thread here in the next few days.

@Turquoise - your jumper is gorgeous.  I love the colour variations.

For those looking to make a personal croquis, you can also make them from photo you have taken yourself.  This tutorial by House of Curves is worth a look.  The bonus of this method is that you can do a few different poses, or trace over existing outfits.

And now for a bit of fun.....

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
Not a machine was sewing, not even a blouse
The fabrics were washed and folded with care
In the hope that SWAP soon would be there

The threads were nestled all safe in their tin
And buttons and zips, contained therein
Here a pattern for jeans and maybe a skirt
Let's not forget, that TNT shirt

When on our SWAP thread, there was such a chatter
I sprang to my screen, to join in a natter
Away to the machine, I flew like a flash
Tore open the door, and tripped over my stash

Hope you all have a great Christmas, wherever you may be.  I'll see you on Boxing Day to fire the starters gun!   :thumbsup:

Sew Ruthie Sews

@treefrog what a fun poem!

I might get chance today to do some cutting out, so need to decide what my next SWAP project would be, to start sewing on 26th, as I have a few days off during the holiday period.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Melinda_B

Quote from: treefrog on December 24, 2020, 12:28:28 amHope you all have a great Christmas, wherever you may be.  I'll see you on Boxing Day to fire the starters gun!   :thumbsup:

Australia Boxing day starts before the US, we're fine to start then, yes?
Melinda<br /><br />Perth, Australia<br />Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/