• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2021, 05:29:06 pm

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

SWAP 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Started by treefrog, November 16, 2020, 05:05:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Helen M

I think someone is trying to hijack this thread.
Sewing in Cheshire

indigotiger

November 30, 2020, 01:30:12 pm #36 Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:03:37 pm by indigotiger
Pagog I don't see any reason why we cannot both have "got the blues" for our SWAP title, I am totally willing to share! I'm so looking forward to seeing/reading where everybody goes with their SWAP plans.

I've been looking at my closet and thinking about what sorts of things I feel like I could use more of, or where there are obvious gaps. The two big obvious gaps are I desperately need a new raincoat, and it would be useful to have a pair of loose trousers or overalls. Both of those are Big Sewing Projects, that involve multiple muslins and sampling and fitting. Will this be the year that I get over my "fear of raincoat"... who knows?

Supposedly my new pinafore pattern has finally made it across the US and is at least here in the same city, and supposedly will be delivered today. I know I will be making that up as part of my sewing as hopefully luz clara and I are going to do a mini sewalong together. I could use one or two casual cardigan/jackets and at least one or two additional pairs of winter leggings.

Today I decided that I might want to knit a cardigan, so currently my entire yarn stash is dumped out on the bed so I can look through it and see if inspiration is lurking. This isn't anywhere near as bad as if I tried to dump my fabric stash all on the bed; my yarn stash is quite small in comparison!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Turquoise

Looking forward to seeing your cardigan plans @indigotiger

I'm slowly progressing with my sweater - it's a challenge for me as I've never knitted anything before where you have to put stitches on holders and knit in sections etc - but I'm really enjoying it as a distraction and I think I'll look for another knitting pattern when I finish it.

It is messy pulling everything out but fun too and I always discover something I'd forgotten I had  :)

Melinda_B

Quote from: Grasshopper on November 30, 2020, 07:20:31 am@Melinda_B, I agree that there's potential for way too many options with this year's rules. 

I have a tendency to see too many options anyway, and get caught in decision paralysis. This year's rules are good, I just need to make a decision
Melinda<br /><br />Perth, Australia<br />Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

stephaniecan

@Grasshopper : Boy do I understand analysis paralysis. I am already there. I'm thinking of turning my SWAP into a rainbow SWAP, as I can't make up my mind about colours and want to make all of them!

@Pagog I don't see why two great minds can't have "Got the Blues" as a title. Then again, maybe you could switch it to "Beat the Blues"  :)  That's a long list of changes in one year....
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

treefrog

November 30, 2020, 11:19:47 pm #40 Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:28:46 pm by treefrog
@Grasshopper @Melinda_B @stephaniecan I'm with you on the decision paralysis!  There are just too many shinny new projects I could sink my teeth into.  My initial thought was to center my plan around items that I need or wearing out (practical but not that inspiring).  But I keep getting drawn to a "Patagucci" style SWAP with stuff for hiking, kayaking etc (fun, fun fun!!!)

@Pagog How about a "Great minds think alike" title?  I love your plan for a shibori top.   Do you have a particular idea for the stitching pattern? 

@indigotiger Hope your yarns gave you some inspiration.  Remember the bonus for doing big projects.  If you do two, then you count them as the equivalent as 4 items.  Please tell me more about your raincoat.  I've had a Goretex jacket on my to-do list since, well, forever, but I keep chickening out.  Perhaps we could work on our raincoats together?

Pagog

I do accept the permission to emulate indigotiger's title, so I have posted my plan.  I have no set idea yet on my shibori design; but trust me, it won't be complicated as I've not done this before.  I may also do an ombre dip while I'm at it.

sewsy

December 01, 2020, 06:42:22 am #42 Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:45:13 am by sewsy
Quote from: helenyang on November 29, 2020, 09:42:20 pmHey there, I'm just looking for a zigzag sew machine. I've chosen SINGER's one. My cousin say's bernina is better than Singer.
Now i'm confused. Please can you help me to chose best one?

Hey Helen. Well, I'd say first, how much do you want to spend? Berninas are going to be (relatively) more expensive than Singers. Which Singer were you thinking of? Is there a comparable model Bernina in both features and/or price? You stated that you wanted a zig-zag machine. Both have that feature. As for which is the better of the two, well that depends.

There was a regular here years ago (Manuela) that sewed on Singer machines exclusively (older model and newer). She swore by them, and (for me) is arguably one of the best sewists on the planet. She and her husband live in Hong Kong. She didn't have a serger, I suppose that she finished her seams using the zig-zag stitch.

So, honestly, it's really your choice. During these times, it's kinda hard to go sewing machine testing, but I'd begin by narrowing it down to the Singer you want, and then checking for a comparable model Bernina and figure it out from there.

One other idea that you may think about is getting a used machine. That may be a way to keep costs down, (if cost is an issue) and still get the make you'd like, especially if you decide to go with the Bernina. That's what I did. Twice. One for myself, one for my granddaughter. I really like mine, it was top of the line in it's day, and the seller had not only the embroidery unit (that I doubt she ever even used) but lots of extra feet.

Having stated all the above, I'd honestly say this.

If what you want is a Singer, then that's what you should get. Because at the end of the day, it's you who will be sitting in front of the machine, it's you who should be satisfied with the machine you'll be using. Good luck.

eta. Here's a link to Manuela Freidrich's Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/manuela_in_hong_kong/

One more thought. Whichever machine you wind up getting, if you find that you really should've gotten the other, there's no law saying that you can't own more than one. I happen to have four. Two Singers, the Bernina and my goto Brother.

warpjr1965

Love all the creative juices flowing here!
Still no firm plans to join, I have 2 other projects to complete before I should start anything for myself at this point.

I do have 2 items that need finishing: one needs some stabilization at the neckline, the other needs some serious seam tweaking in order to be wearable, plus hemming, my (least) favorite. Those could be simple tasks that would not detract from the other projects, in fact they would probably be a welcome break!

Oh, and a jean jacket that needs buttons/holes, and another that needs the same.

Maybe I could do an "Endless chain of mending and finishing!" :yeah:
Wendy

Grasshopper

@Pagog, your plan for doing the wildcard and two 5-packs (one for cool weather and one for warm weather) is a really great idea, since SWAP typically spans the change in seasons.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

mahgret

I sat down last night to try to plot out my plan.  There's just too much going on in my mind!  I think I need to plot out which pieces of my existing wardrobe I want to use, and then choose from my list of things I want to make to fill out the capsule. The problem is, I'm wanting to maybe concentrate on cardigans and jackets to fill out outfits, but then I need tops and bottoms to go with each and that adds up to too many garments.  Maybe I'm overthinking.

CCL

Quote from: mahgret on December 01, 2020, 10:11:56 amI sat down last night to try to plot out my plan.  There's just too much going on in my mind!  I think I need to plot out which pieces of my existing wardrobe I want to use, and then choose from my list of things I want to make to fill out the capsule. ... Maybe I'm overthinking.

I am with Mahgret! To make it easier for me, I went back to my Autumn Loosey Goosey 6-PAC plan - where I got stumped by buttons for the green dress.  (The buttons I ordered over a month ago have not arrived.)

To break the curse of the buttons-which-have-not-arrived, yesterday I cut out the green and navy plain skirt.  We will see what the mail brings today.  Bonus: I believe I have enough left over for some sort of vest.   So that sort of helped to jump start my thinking.

However, similar to Mahgret, I too need some blouses and "tops" to make it all work... currently thinking these might be the existing pieces.

Loosey- Goosey Six Pac
  • Green wool shirt dress (lengthened 8772 blouse - becoming a TNT)- this will be - fingers crossed, my previous made
  • Plaid turquoise, apple green and navy plaid pencil skirt (pattern to be determined) - Anna Klein, OOP V2433 - this will be my made since rules announced
  • Grey wool dress (OOP Vogue 8615)
  • Black fleece jacket (TNT lekala 4398)
  • Maroon plaid dress (pattern to be determined)
  • Maroon plaid jacket (Vogue 7975)

So that's 6.  I am still working on what to make to fill it out...

I like Pagog's idea of two 1/2 monties - one winter / one summer.  Thinking along those lines.

So what is everyone's favorite SWAP that they started, participated in, maybe just planned, or even finished?  My favorite is still the one I did for Better Half, though it took me two years to complete the plan.

warpjr1965

Last year's was my favorite SWAP, I wear almost all the items, I even have 2 on right now!
You cannot see attachments on this board.
Wendy

kowgiirl.up

Quote from: warpjr1965 on December 01, 2020, 11:17:35 amLast year's was my favorite SWAP, I wear almost all the items, I even have 2 on right now!

Wendy, your pics are sideways. I can almost see up your shirt  :rotfl: The pics I post from my phone do that. At least they give me a good neck stretch looking at them :)
Theresa

Runs with scissors

warpjr1965

yea i can't figure out how to fix them. Stupid technology
Wendy

mahgret

I too liked last years SWAP best although I got ill and never took the photos so I just have a bunch of bathroom mirror selfies.  I think last year I finally concentrated on what I like to wear instead of making items that fit some sort of sewing goal.

Grasshopper

Quote from: mahgret on December 01, 2020, 05:32:50 pmI too liked last years SWAP best although I got ill and never took the photos so I just have a bunch of bathroom mirror selfies.  I think last year I finally concentrated on what I like to wear instead of making items that fit some sort of sewing goal.

I looked back over last year's rules and the plans I made. I do still like those rules a lot and they make a lot of sense for my everyday wardrobe since I usually wear the same type of bottom most days. Ugh! More thinking and pondering to be done. I do know that I want this year's collection to be accurate for what I like to wear, which seems to have changed quite a bit.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

indigotiger

It does my heart good to read that folks found last years rules to be good...

I'm still not sure what I will be making, but since this years rules state "These garments may or may not co-ordinate with each other, but should dovetail into your existing wardrobe." I'm not much worried. I seem to be incapable of making things that don't coordinate, since I only have five basic colors in my wardrobe.

Not sure if I will in fact knit a cardigan, but I did bribe myself and ordered both a new knitting pattern AND new yarn to go with it. I chose the gorgeous new lopapeysa-style pattern "Mandelbrot" (designed to evoke the concept of fractals)
and picked out some chocolate brown Lettlopi for the main color, with black sheep off black, a deep turquoise, and a murky taupe for the patterning... I always feel a bit planetary when I order yarn from afar, this is coming from Iceland! Why mostly brown yarn?... because I have two brown pinafores, and no knitted sweater to coordinate. Last year, for the first time in decades, I knit myself two wool sweaters: an indigo lopapeysa in a modern design, and a V-neck pullover in a kind of dark dark turqoise/black oilslick color, and I have enjoyed wearing them very much
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

crazyquilter

I would have to say that the 2019 SWAP was my favorite, because for the first time I actually got something sewn.  I sewed four garments, all of which are in constant use. I wore one of them on Sunday and the outfit felt so me. I nearly finished a fifth garment before I ran out of steam on that SWAP.  I think the color requirement of that year was problematic for me since I was mostly sewing from stash.

I loved the 2020 rules and my plan, but I ran afoul on my first muslin.  I badly wanted a TNT boxy top pattern and got frustrated when the one I was trying didn't fit after three or four tries. 

I think I'm going for something between those two plans this year, starting with a new top pattern, the Sew Liberated Strata Top, which I have printed and cut out.  This is about the simplest type of top there is, so surely I can get a pattern to fit.  I'm hoping to make a muslin this week.

treefrog

It's Friday!!!  I've just finished making 20m of shadecloth curtains to hide the glare from the shiny new farm shed my neighbours put up.  I'm looking forward to making something pretty now. Is anyone planning to do some sewing over the weekend?

I'm hoping finalise my plan over the weekend.  It's based on the Algebra SWAP.  I liked this formula as I finally started to understand how to work with colours, and there was no requirement for layering.

@indigotiger Your jumper pattern is awesome.  It is going to look fantastic.  Are you having long delays with international shipping?  It took 10 weeks for my Ottobre magazine to arrive so I've been holding off on any overseas purchases.

@Grasshopper It sounds like you've been putting a lot of thought into what you want to make. Do you have a jeans pattern that you are happy with the fit of?  It would be fairly easy to modify it to get the leg shape you need. Have a look at this post for some tips - flare pant drafting

stephaniecan

Ooh that's a beautiful cardigan, @indigotiger. I have never knitted a lopapeysa design, but my grandmother knitted one for me back in the 80s. Then, in 2015, my brother got married in Iceland and I made a point of buying one while there (which I wear all of the time). I bought directly from the son of the maker, which was nice. My partner is still kicking himself that he didn't buy himself one! I look forward to seeing your gorgeous brown cardigan evolve!

@treefrog Yay for Friday! (Though I am still 22 minutes from Friday.) I can't wait. Friday evening is my favourite time of the week - with that luscious weekend time spread out before me. I am definitely going to both finalize my plan and sew this weekend. I need to stop thinking. My thinking is toxic! I realized this evening that what I need to do is just start with what I have - notions included - and not let my mind go wild with all of the possibilities. What I have is good enough. I feel as though the biggest struggle I have is with always imagining that there is something better that I can do...

Funnily enough, as much as I love all of the rules from each year, the SWAP that I did that I probably liked best is the one I did in 2016. I surprised myself with this, but I realized that the reason is that I made two nice dresses that took a bit of time to make. Even though I don't wear them very often, when I put them on I feel really good about them and they feel special because they were made by me. I wasn't expecting that to be the answer, so that maybe guides me in terms of what to do this year.
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

Grasshopper

Ah yes, I am thankful it is Friday!!!  Although I still have a long day of work ahead of me, I am looking forward to the weekend.  I have a partially finished short sleeve shell that I would like to get finished this weekend, as well as finalize my SWAP plans. @stephaniecan, I find that the planning and re-planning is always my biggest hurdle with SWAP.  That's why I wanted to keep it simple this year and try to put together a collection based on fabric I had and projects I had planned to make, in order to make do and use what I already have.  And yet, I find myself still easily distracted about all the potential possibilities of things I could make.  I love to dive into the details of more complicated projects like tailored jackets and then find myself frustrated with the lack of short sleeve tops when warm weather comes.  This year, I am really striving to discipline myself to make the simple, everyday clothing I really need.

I agree that that is a beautiful sweater, @indigotiger!  I admire you for taking that on.  I love knitting but have never tackled colorwork and I don't think I'm in the right season of life right now to take it on!  :-P  Maybe when my daughter is out of the house...

@treefrog, thank you for the link to that post!  I had actually run across that website yesterday but hadn't seen that specific post.  It looks like a great resource.  And, I can see that adjusting the width of the leg wouldn't be that big of an issue.  It is more the fit at the top of the pants that I am concerned with.  I actually do not have a jeans or pants pattern that I am happy with the fit of right now and feel like I could use as a starting point.  When I first started sewing again, I was fortunate that most everything I made fit well straight from the pattern and I was confident in the pattern sizing to use.  But, I have since gained some weight and the last pair of trousers I attempted to make are still folded up in the bottom of my UFO/mending basket due to fitting issues that I didn't have the knowledge or patience at the time to correct.  However, they are a lovely gray denim, a wide leg cut, and could possibly be salvageable if I took the time to work through creating muslins and developing a block.  I do have a pair of lower rise wide leg jeans that I thrifted that could possibly be used as a starting point for developing a muslin similar to this post. They aren't absolutely perfect but are comfortable, so I may start there.
Lyneisa

Turquoise

@Grasshopper - You're not alone.  I'm still having to keep pulling myself back from adding and complicating plans but this year more than any other I need to focus on getting some sewing done and not just planning.  The planning is fun but the making process is much better for giving me a sense of peace and having accomplished something.  I think this year's option of a "half-monty" SWAP is helpful to stop me getting too carried away with plans at the expense of action.

Good luck with the jeans - it will be worth getting a muslin that fits you well then you will be able to produce multiples of exactly what you want. 

BJ in TN

Is anyone else bogged down in mask-making? Every time I think I'll think I'll have the time to play with my plan or cut out a muslin someone tells me they need more masks! Of course, the good thing is my scrap tubs (yes, plural) are going down. 

stephaniecan

@Grasshopper Good plan! I am going to try to follow your lead in this. I made a list last night of things I have the materials for and had planned to made. My plan is now to simply tick off that list one by one.

mahgret

@BJ in TN I was bogged down in mask making for many months but have been avoiding it mostly since September.  I realized that people were making and selling masks to try to make ends meet, so I'm hoping my people will support those efforts.

Turquoise

Good to see your plan coming along @warpjr1965  - isn't it great to have the "half-monty" option  :)

BinMI

December 05, 2020, 04:34:06 pm #62 Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 04:55:41 am by BinMI
@Grasshopper the jeans you like remind me of McCalls 5592. I have it but have not sewn it up. May be out of print.
(I have no idea how I posted two pictures???)

You cannot see attachments on this board.

anna.wahnsinn

I kept thinking it was time for SWAP again, and I really feel compelled to join once more. This is such a great place and community to be! I love all of the creativity and kindness here, and all the different takes you can find on various tasks or troubles. I'll definitely not only try to actually sew my clothes for once, but also be more active here in the forum. Still looking at everyone's proposed SWAPs so far and planning mine. Which will basically be the same plan as ever.
Anne

treefrog

Ok, I confess... no sewing on the weekend.   But I did settle on a plan.  Well, actually it's two plans.  The first ticks most of the boxes in terms of the gaps in my current wardrobe.  The second is my hiking plan.  I've put up a blog post with my ideas.  They basically follow the 2016 Algebra SWAP, and I've used the groupings of 3 to get a particular 'look'.  For some reason, when I break it down like this, it's a lot easier to get my ideas to gel.

I'm assuming it is OK if I sew along?????

@Grasshoper  Sheffield Sewcial is running a Jeans January sew-along, which might be handy to have a squizz at if your looking for some pattern or fitting tips.

@Sew Ruthie Sews I love your colour palette!

treefrog

@Upstate Linda  Oooh leopard.   :applause2:

I'm not sure if there is an existing tutorial for adding images.
There are 2 ways to add them
  • From your PC : Click on the "Attachments and other options" dropdown, just below the area where you type your text, and there will be a button to upload your photo
  • From a pic already on the web ( eg blog): Click on the image button in the toolbar above the text area (between the you-tube and link controls).  Past in the URL address.  If the image is a big one, you can scale it down using the optional width & height.

If in doubt, use the PREVIEW option to check how it looks before posting. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics

Pagog

For some reason, I cannot post a picture.  I saw that it was uploaded, the string was there, but no picture.  Any suggestions????

Turquoise

@Pagog I see in your SWAP thread your last message says :

"No message is associated with this attachment".

Just a thought but I couldn't get a recent post to work and got a similar message and when I had removed an emoji that I had typed from my iPad keyboard rather than the emoji list at the top of the message box it worked.  Could it be that you typed something like that - something that this web site couldn't process properly.  I can't remember the exact message I got but it was similar.

Grasshopper

@BinMI, McCalls 5592 is indeed similar to the look I am going for!   

@treefrog, thank you for the link to the Jeans January sew-along.  That might be a good resource!  And yes, please sew along with us!  Also, I love your planning format!  Such beautiful artwork!

I confess that I did not work on SWAP this weekend.  I had great aspirations, but when the offer came for two high school boys to lend their strong backs to help me get the overgrown flowerbed left by the previous owner (including large decorative rocks buried willy-nilly here and there) cleaned out and the soil amended (a chore I confess that I have been procrastinating mightily on), I really couldn't refuse.  In any case, progress is progress, so I'm not beating myself up too badly for not sewing.

@stephaniecan, I need to make up my list of planned projects.  I know that the jean/trouser fitting will take more time than other things, so I may want to sew up some easier things first, just to get my inspiration and motivation going.
Lyneisa

Pagog

@anna.wahnsinn Don't be afraid.  You will learn a lot from this SWAP experience.  We are all here to help. 
Just like @Turquoise helped me with posting a picture.  Thank you Turquoise.  I don't know what the problem was, but it is done. 
@luz clara Love your philosophy, "Cut it out and use it".  That gold  batik in my plan has been with me for years.