• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2021, 09:37:32 am

News:

What does SG do with $35.00 per year?
-Brings together people from all walks of life who share a common love of sewing.
-Pays the bills without selling or sharing any of your personal information.
-Provides an ad-free experience for everyone.
-Provides an up-to-date cross-platform venue that works on all your favorite devices.
-Stores, protects and allows you to share your messages, posts, photos and tutorials.
-Helps keep the community active and supports its growth.

SWAP 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Started by treefrog, November 16, 2020, 05:05:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warpjr1965

Hopping in to see how everyone is doing. I have not sewn any clothing since the circle skirt. Just not feeling it this time around. I am excited to see what everyone else comes up with though!  Maybe the mood will strike me soon, if it does I have plenty of fabric and pattern options at the ready.!
Wendy

warpjr1965

We'll see if any of this really gets sewn up. Hoping to turn the gold and light blue into knit skinny pants for use under dresses or tunics. Fingers crossed. I have 4 days off last week, and tidied up the sewing area as well. Put the threads on a wall hanging thread holder thingy. yes I know they could fade, but I can't stand rooting through bins for absolutely everything, so on the wall they go. Plus DD coordinated them by color and they look very pretty. :)
Wendy

kowgiirl.up

Wendy, it's good to read that you may have your sewing mojo back. Yay! Yes, lists are overrated sometimes.

@stephaniecan , the moth on your coat pocket is so cute. How clever!
Theresa

Runs with scissors

stephaniecan

Quote from: kowgiirl.up on March 23, 2021, 04:09:10 pmWendy, it's good to read that you may have your sewing mojo back. Yay! Yes, lists are overrated sometimes.

@stephaniecan , the moth on your coat pocket is so cute. How clever!

Ah thanks, @kowgiirl.up. There are actually two moths (the other one is a luna moth on the other pocket). I am a terrible embroiderer though so these are "thread painted" and took me forever, so I gave up even though I wanted to embroider more moths. My plan is to perhaps add appliqué if I ever find my mojo again. That said, I finally have been able to wear the coat out and around the neighbourhood, as the snow melts, with my rainbow shoes (possibly my favourite thing I have ever owned). It's giving me a boost. I started it at the beginning of the pandemic, for SWAP 2020, and unfortunately ran out of steam. So it feels good to have completed it this year.

I am sorry to hear that you were not feeling well, but happy to hear that you are on the mend. Oh and that top is very flattering on you!

@warpjr1965 Wendy, I love those colours and fabrics all laid out together. Perfect!

@mahgret Ah what great fabric! And a great jacket pattern. I look forward to seeing that one and seeing the sweater when it's done. It's such a beautiful colour.

I started sewing my yellow coat on Saturday and ignored my work email (sometimes a mistake) and ended up having to work all day Sunday and pretty much constantly until then. So not much going on here in terms of sewing. That said, every little bit counts. I should be able to finish a half monty (fingers crossed), which is pretty good all things considered.

Cheers!

That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

stephaniecan

@Karamiel As usual very witty and I love the dress! The pink is great, combined with the print. A perfect mixture and a lovely shape/fit. I like the neckline, too.
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

warpjr1965

Karamiel I do like your dress!
Ladies, I have only accomplished some tracing of patterns and cutting of one pair of leggings. I just don't know. I don't think I have it in me this year. This will be the first time in 6 (7?) years that I have not completed SWAP. I am sad about that, but oh well. I still hold a little hope that I can get a few things done for a half Monty, but even that seems impossible.
Wendy

Karamiel

@warpjr1965, thank you for your kind message.
I hope you'll find the time and the motivation to complete a half Monty. 6 or 7 SWAP are such a great achievement!

@stephaniecan, I hope everything goes well with the yellow coat. I don't know if you'll attract insects as you mentioned earlier, but definitely, you'll get a lot of attention from your fellow bipeds. Imagine a street with walkers wearing colourful coats. Life would be more joyful, wouldn't it ? A rainbow on the pavement.

To everyone, have a great last month of sewing for the SWAP! Completed or not, clothes have been sewn, ideas and projects have been shared, and that's already a victory.
Karine

stephaniecan

Quote from: warpjr1965 on April 03, 2021, 06:48:11 amKaramiel I do like your dress!
Ladies, I have only accomplished some tracing of patterns and cutting of one pair of leggings. I just don't know. I don't think I have it in me this year. This will be the first time in 6 (7?) years that I have not completed SWAP. I am sad about that, but oh well. I still hold a little hope that I can get a few things done for a half Monty, but even that seems impossible.

Wendy, I'm feeling what you're saying. I've made progress on a few items, but I don't seem to have the mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual energy to finish anything these days. I am still hoping to pick up and finish at least a half Monty, but I'm having my doubts this year. I think we just need to accept where we are.

@Karamiel Thanks, Karine! Yes, I have made some progress on the yellow coat. I think it is possible that I will complete it by the end of April, but we'll see. I'm maybe half-way there. I finished the chest and the lapel pad-stitching and stitched the coat together. I need to adjust the shoulder seams and back seams a little and I am about to start pad stitching the under collar. It's going to take a lot of guts to wear the thing though - even putting on the frame of the coat made me feel like I was wearing a school bus!

Hilda Rose

Don't give up! Sew to the end!

I have had my share of dramas lately leading to no sewing time & less energy. I took a last minute flight across the country to see a very ill family member last week. 10 hours of flying, wearing badly fitting pants & 2 days wearing jeans/trousers that kept creeping down has moved some clothing items to the top of my "needs/gaps" sewing list. I sewed up #6 top S2188 on Sunday that turned out to be a complete fail for me, but I can salvage the fabric & make something for my daughter later. It's so demotivating, but I realise that due to weight & body shape change some of my UFOs cannot be sewn up as is but instead the fabric needs to be repurposed. In spite of this, I'm going to pick myself up & focus on making 3 pairs of pants. Our Easter camping trip has been rescheduled to 24th April & I need pants / trousers for outdoors. Only got maybe 2 pairs of jeans that fit (with the help of a belt)!

Official SWAP or not I will plod along for the rest of the year making items to replace those that no longer fit - this is my perpetual Sew With A Plan!

kowgiirl.up

Quote from: Hilda Rose on April 05, 2021, 05:49:38 pmDon't give up! Sew to the end!
Official SWAP or not I will plod along for the rest of the year making items to replace those that no longer fit - this is my perpetual Sew With A Plan!

@Hilda Rose , thanks for the kick in the pants! I need this to get me back in gear. I've been struggling with my health (nothing bad just ugh) but this week I've been pushing myself. Heck, I even got in the sewing room and actually pinned up a neckline for that other Clarke top. I just think, hope or by golly will get that thing sewed up this week! After that I'm moving on to jeans. Orrrr, I might cut out a skirt! Who knows for sure because I sure don't.

@warpjr1965 , just do what you can and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can put something together.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

treefrog

Hi Everyone,  just curious to know how you would feel about a time extension?  SWAP can be tough enough without all the extra things that life is throwing at us at the moment and I'd really like us to wrap up with a show-n-tell and a sense of achievement.

So.....  would you like a one (end May) or two (end June) month extension?  or keep the existing timeframe?

-----
tags just in case you miss the post
@Hilda Rose @Pagog @Karamiel @kowgiirl.up @warpjr1965 @mahgret @anna.wahnsinn @CCL @sharonspils @indigotiger @stephaniecan @LillieT @boppingbeth @Upstate Linda @Turquoise @Grasshopper @Melinda_B

treefrog

April 07, 2021, 08:57:55 pm #291 Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:05:45 pm by treefrog
@kowgiirl.up Are you going to give the jeans a try?  Remember that you can count it as two items because of the extra time involved in the fitting process.  It's there as an incentive to take the time to work on a more involved project, so please take advantage of it.  Jeans are one of those things that take a bit more effort to fit, but once it's done, you'll use the pattern time and time again

@Pagog I love your gold jacket.  How did you find that Butterick pattern?  It has been on my wishlist for ages and I really should bring it to the top of the pile.

@Hilda Rose Your pants look perfect.  I don't like taking photos of myself either.  You have the option of taking photos of the garments on a hanger or dressform if you wish.

@stephaniecan How is your yellow jacket going?  It's such a delicious colour.

----
March has been a bit of a write-off for me.  We had an impromptu remodelling of the kitchen when our stove broke and I had 3 weeks cooking on a camping burner.  Thankfully the new oven and cooktop are functional with just some cabinetry and tiling left to do.  I managed to get back on the bike yesterday for an easy ride. Gee it was nice to be back on the bike!

Melinda_B

Quote from: treefrog on April 07, 2021, 08:42:09 pmHi Everyone,  just curious to know how you would feel about a time extension?  SWAP can be tough enough without all the extra things that life is throwing at us at the moment and I'd really like us to wrap up with a show-n-tell and a sense of achievement.

So.....  would you like a one (end May) or two (end June) month extension?  or keep the existing timeframe

I would love some extra time.  This year has been rough already, and I'm only just starting to feel that I'm coming out of it
Melinda<br /><br />Perth, Australia<br />Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Karamiel

@treefrog, I would really appreciate some extra time to complete the SWAP. I won't be able to do it otherwise.
Thanks for suggesting it!
Karine

stephaniecan

@treefrog I also would be happy to see the timeline extended. I didn't want to say anything as I know that others have been plugging away. I was moving forward OK until March, but I've really been struggling lately - we're in a third wave lockdown, vaccination is at least a couple months off for me, my partner is struggling in Italy for similar reasons, plus his caregiving for a frail elderly person...so the light at the end of the tunnel keeps moving to what feels like a distant place for me. I pick up my sewing and then I put it down, as I have no mental energy to progress. I did get to about the 1/3-1/2 point on my yellow coat over the weekend so I hope I can keep going, but then last night after work I just lay on the sofa and slept for the whole evening and night, utterly exhausted by life. So...if some extra time is decided on I hope I will be able to use it well! Thanks for suggesting it.

PS I think either May or June would be fine. I wonder if pushing all the way to June would sort of cause things to fizzle out (even though the extra time in principle seems wonderful). Perhaps others can weigh in. I keep on hoping for my mojo to come back, and sometimes it does, so I hope I can rally this month.

kowgiirl.up

@treefrog , I would love, love, love an extension of the SWAP. I would vote for the end of May but whatever is decided I'm good with. Any extra time is much appreciated  :applause2:

The jean pattern I will be using is one that I have already worked out most of the fitting bugs so it would just be a matter of sewing them up. I think since I have them cut out and ready to go that should be what I do next :)
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Turquoise

@stephaniecan Your post has really summed up how I am feeling.  This is the first time I've even logged on here in ages and I haven't been able to pick up any sewing for ages - this lockdown just seems never ending and I have lost all faith in our government, they just keep breaking their word and moving the goalposts.

Take care everyone, this is a tough time  - I think an extension would be good and I just hope I can get going again. I would like to finish if I can, I was hoping this year would be the year with the option of the half-monty.   I did finish my green jacket (apart from buttons) before everything became such a struggle but after buying three sets of buttons online and none of them working with the colour I lost enthusiasm for it.

@warpjr1965 I hope you can finish too but please remember to celebrate all the times you have managed to finish. That's 6 or 7 times more than me ;)

stephaniecan

Quote from: Turquoise on April 09, 2021, 02:56:56 pm@stephaniecan Your post has really summed up how I am feeling.  This is the first time I've even logged on here in ages and I haven't been able to pick up any sewing for ages - this lockdown just seems never ending and I have lost all faith in our government, they just keep breaking their word and moving the goalposts.

Take care everyone, this is a tough time  - I think an extension would be good and I just hope I can get going again. I would like to finish if I can, I was hoping this year would be the year with the option of the half-monty.   I did finish my green jacket (apart from buttons) before everything became such a struggle but after buying three sets of buttons online and none of them working with the colour I lost enthusiasm for it.

@warpjr1965 I hope you can finish too but please remember to celebrate all the times you have managed to finish. That's 6 or 7 times more than me ;)

Hi @Turquoise We can hold each other up for a while. :) I also like what you said to Wendy. She has completed an impressive number of SWAPS.

I'm hoping to get sewing tomorrow. One step at at time.

Hilda Rose

@treefrog an extension would be great! I think everyone has enough pressure in life at the moment & an extension may give us a boost to keep trying. Personally an extension to end of June would mean I could do a Full SWAP. I'm losing 2 weeks in May with my parents visiting, so with a May extension still only a 1/2 Monty is doable. I will be happy either way, so whatever the majority wants is great.

anna.wahnsinn

@treefrog I'd also love an extension, June even more so than May. I'm still working my way through stacks and boxes and practice a few techniques whenever I find the time and the mojo. It's weird because working on something feels so good, finishing a wearable piece is even better, but most of the time I still can't make myself do it. And I ought to, I went through my clothes again, putting away all the things I just don't wear for all kinds of reasons. There's not much left, and there are some things I'd love to replace.
Anne

CCL

April 11, 2021, 08:40:40 am #300 Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:22:01 pm by CCL
Me too, @treefrog, not that it will make much difference as I am not sure that I can even get the 1/2 Monty I was hoping for.

Quote from: Turquoise on April 09, 2021, 02:56:56 pm@stephaniecan
Take care everyone, this is a tough time  - I think an extension would be good and I just hope I can get going again. I would like to finish if I can, I was hoping this year would be the year with the option of the half-monty.  I did finish my green jacket (apart from buttons) before everything became such a struggle but after buying three sets of buttons online and none of them working with the colour I lost enthusiasm for it.

I hear you, @Turquoise,  I got about half way through the practice dress and stopped.  Partially because I am depressed about the way it is turning out - fabric not as good a match for the design as I had hoped - and partially because we have had beautiful spring weather and the garden beckons.  Luckily, my family is scattered through three states that have been terrific at rolling out the vaccines - so only the two boys under 16 have not been vaccinated - the rest of us are and can even get together! 

Quote from: stephaniecan on April 08, 2021, 06:01:28 am@treefrogI wonder if pushing all the way to June would sort of cause things to fizzle out (even though the extra time in principle seems wonderful).
@stephaniecan  - I hadn't thought about the Fizzling out because I am already fizzled out.  Maybe the extra time would reignite - or at least I could get in a summer garment - one of the two shirts I had planned.  I need to do another easy make with fabric I won't sob about if things go amiss.

stephaniecan

Quote from: CCL on April 11, 2021, 08:40:40 amMe too, @treefrog, not that it will make much difference as I am not sure that I can even get the 1/2 Monty I was hoping for.

Quote from: Turquoise on April 09, 2021, 02:56:56 pm@stephaniecan
Take care everyone, this is a tough time  - I think an extension would be good and I just hope I can get going again. I would like to finish if I can, I was hoping this year would be the year with the option of the half-monty.  I did finish my green jacket (apart from buttons) before everything became such a struggle but after buying three sets of buttons online and none of them working with the colour I lost enthusiasm for it.

I hear you, @Turquoise,  I got about half way through the practice dress and stopped.  Partially because I am depressed about the way it is turning out - fabric not as good a match for the design as I had hoped - and partially because we have had beautiful spring weather and the garden beckons.  Luckily, my family is scattered through three states that have been terrific at rolling out the vaccines - so only the two boys under 16 have not been vaccinated - the rest of us are and can even get together! 

Quote from: stephaniecan on April 08, 2021, 06:01:28 am@treefrogI wonder if pushing all the way to June would sort of cause things to fizzle out (even though the extra time in principle seems wonderful).
@stephaniecan  - I hadn't thought about the Fizzling out because I am already fizzled out.  Maybe the extra time would reignite - or at least I could get in a summer garment - one of the two shirts I had planned.  I need to do another easy make with fabric I won't sob about if things go amiss.

I've been fizzled for a long time! :)  I think I was thinking that as the summer progresses we all get further distracted by the outdoors and other possibilities. I know I'll be out running and biking, most likely. That said, it seems that the consensus is leaning towards June so I want to be clear that I'm fine with whatever. I do hope that I'll be able to use the extra time to keep going, even if it involves a bit of a pivot in what I'm sewing.

Too bad that the dress isn't working out as hoped. :(

stephaniecan

But PS of course I should note that the summer is firing up only the northern hemisphere, so whatever works for everyone is best (May or June).

mahgret

An extension would be very nice.  I'm fine with whatever date is decided on.  I still need to make a jacket and the pattern is still a pile of papers and I need to learn HongKong finish. And it would be nice to knit this sweater without having to be a harsh taskmaster with myself.

Hilda Rose

@CCL - sad your about dress pattern & fabric not being a good match. Can you salvage the fabric for something else? Moving on to the shirts sounds like a good diversion. After my UFO fitting & sizing fails I felt very disappointed & down in the dumps, but the gratification of finishing the linen pants has renewed a positive mindset.

@stephaniecan - the seasons definitely impact sewing time! Living in Australia I get nearly no sewing done Dec - Jan (our summer), as the kids are on holidays. We don't get a winter like Canada, but because of school / sport /social calendars I seem to have more time during the cooler months. With an extension to SWAP I'm also looking at changing a few items in my plan to accommodate the weather change.

@mahgret - deadlines can often result in us being a hard taskmaster and takes the enjoyment out of the experience. I hope with an extension you relax & find joy in your knitting.

I'm not sure how much sewing I can get done, but I'm determined to be content with whatever I do get finished. My sewing time fluctuates continuously. I have Ménière's disease in my left ear & have had vertigo in varying degrees for 1-2 days a week since January. As it's a new diagnosis, I'm still trying to manage the symptoms & get on an effective medication. Added to that my birth mum is losing her battle with pancreatic cancer & is on the other side of the country. I did fly to see her 2 weeks ago but only saw her for 1 day before wretched COVID-19 restrictions were imposed making it impossible for me to visit her in hospital, so I took an early flight back home. I am very grateful for the day I did get, but it doesn't feel like enough. Restrictions are due to be lifted next Monday, but it will probably be too late.
I truly hope the vaccines will provide long term protection and we can all return to some sense of normality, reconnecting with family & friends. @stephaniecan - I especially think of you with your partner in Italy & hope that things change soon.

Stay safe & keep sewing!

stephaniecan

@Hilda Rose Thanks so much for your kindness! I'm so sorry to hear about your birth mum's terrible situation and not being able to visit very much. That is so sad.

As a fellow vertigo sufferer, I feel your suffering there, too. I received the same diagnosis as you have received (Ménière's) in 2010, because I also have some hearing issues - and, coincidentally, my issues started in my left ear as well! - but then a neurologist diagnosed my vertigo as resulting from vestibular migraine. I have had low-grade vertigo ever since that occasionally ticks up, but is manageable most of the time. When I have the vertigo I usually do not have headache symptoms (but unfortunately get migraine headaches, too - argh!). Your post actually made me realize that although I was having more episodes of vertigo through last fall and early winter, in fact right now it is noticeably absent. I suppose I can put one more tick in the positives column now, then!

I wish you all the best with both of these difficult situations.

warpjr1965

@Hilda Rose I am so sorry about the Menieres, and about your birth mum. Hugs to you.
@Turquoise , how nice of you! I am blushing just thinking of the compliment.

I would love an extension, deep down it makes me so mad that I have only sewn one thing! End of May seems reasonable, June seems reasonable, but there are good arguments for both. I'll try to rally myself, but I've got an awful lot stacked against me. Nothing terrible, just stuff.
Wendy

treefrog

Hi Everyone,

So lets extend the SWAP until the end of June.  No stress, just enjoy the sewing.

But, I'd like you to promise me that at the end of June, you post whatever you have sewn, regardless if you have completed or not. 

If you would like to include items from last year's SWAP in that, go ahead; or use previously sewn items to complete a half monty; or even if it is just one item.  Please post them.  Let's celebrate what we have achieved!

Does that sound OK?

Karamiel

Quote from: treefrog on April 14, 2021, 07:31:55 pmBut, I'd like you to promise me that at the end of June, you post whatever you have sewn, regardless if you have completed or not. 

Wonderful news! Thank you! I promise I'll post whatever I've sewn.
Let's spend another 2 months altogether!
Karine

stephaniecan

@treefrog Ah I love this. I solemnly swear to post what I have made (and make an effort to make some nice photos this year)! Yay!

Hilda Rose

April 15, 2021, 06:36:52 pm #310 Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:00:38 pm by Hilda Rose
Thank you, thank you, thank you @treefrog! Great decision to make this our 1st ever 6 month SWAP! I promise to keep sewing & post everything, in celebration of all garments sewn, both partly & fully completed.

indigotiger

thank you @treefrog... good call! While my own sewing has rather ground to a halt, the three pieces I made early on have turned out to be wardrobe staples. I may manage to add one more piece (a summer popover dress in the indigo tiger rayon print) in the next two months, though truly my everyday wardrobe doesn't need much expansion. I will try my best to take some photos.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

stephaniecan

Quote from: indigotiger on April 16, 2021, 10:39:26 amthank you @treefrog... good call! While my own sewing has rather ground to a halt, the three pieces I made early on have turned out to be wardrobe staples. I may manage to add one more piece (a summer popover dress in the indigo tiger rayon print) in the next two months, though truly my everyday wardrobe doesn't need much expansion. I will try my best to take some photos.

I love what you said, @indigotiger That's what we all hope for, I think - to make pieces that become wardrobe staples. Lovely to hear that yours have worked out that way.

Ooh...am hoping I can find some sew-jo this weekend to get going again on at least one of my projects.

Happy Sewing everyone!

boppingbeth

I am thankful for the extension of time, though I will need to finish earlier.  End of June is my report card season. 

I am just, struggling.  We move my daughter out of her apartment in the next two weeks.  Thankfully she is going to live, at least temporarily, with her adopted grandmother.  And then, we wait so see what happens with life.  I was fine until this week but then we went on full lockdown and it is just stressing me out.  I didn't expect that reaction. 

anna.wahnsinn

Thank you for the extension @treefrog!

I too promise to keep sewing and will post pictures - in fact I managed to finally sew up that purple dress this week, I'm so happy about it and have worn it three days in a row now. I have to shorten it a bit though (which will give me fabric for the much needed pockets) and adjust the pattern. I took notes and made a few marks on the original pattern, so I'll also be cutting out the next dress next week. Or maybe even tomorrow when I can.
Anne